• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Uhhh, the last gift the shortcut guy wants is a gold key... so I have to get a gold key from the first area and make my way all the way through to end of the ice caves with it?

Seriously?! D:

What's the easiest/best way to get a shotgun? I need to pay Tunnel Man and believe it or not I have yet to find or be able to afford one.

Need the tunnel to the ice caves, jungle sucks! Those damn tiki statues are brutal.

Blu10

What's the easiest/best way to get a shotgun? I need to pay Tunnel Man and believe it or not I have yet to find or be able to afford a shotgun.

Kill the shopkeeper or
blow up the gravestone with the name Ash on it

I'm still missing 3 places in my journal. I've been to
all 4 levels, the blackmarket, the worm and the haunted castle
What else is there?

I can not do this game, I just can't. It is my everest and I can't even get past the first little bit.
Just keep playing. Be as slow and cautious as possible bearing in mind the time limit.

If I can do it almost anyone can!

Kill the shopkeeper or

What else is there?
Ok thanks, what's the best/safest way to kill the shopkeeper? I've only ever done it by accident (rolling boulder.)

atomsk

Party Pooper
Kill the shopkeeper or

What else is there?

City of Gold, Hell, and one I don't know about yet

Also, nothing like entering a stage, hearing explosions and then seeing "new character unlocked" :lol

Ok thanks, what's the best/safest way to kill the shopkeeper? I've only ever done it by accident (rolling boulder.)

Safest is probably the machete. Just repeatedly whack him with it, he'll be stunned too much to fight back.

Otherwise, I've had pretty good luck by aggro-ing him, then getting up above him and jumping down on his head as he runs past. You have to quickly grab his shotgun and kill him with it, because the stun doesn't last long.

If the shopkeeper has a freeze ray or shotgun for sale you can just pick that up and blast him with it. Otherwise try to find something that to throw at or stun him and keep doing it until he dies.
If you have no items to attack him with you can always try to shoot up a rope, climb on top and then drop a bomb on him. Even if the explosion doesn't him him you can usually jump on his head and grab his shotgun if you're quick.

Hey guys guess what happened when i used the teleporter for the first time in the mines.

it teleported me right on top some spikes, fuck this game. Oh man.

First time I used the teleporter
it actually put me in the middle of a wall and killed me.
Never used one again.

Just point in a direction when you use the teleporter and make sure there's some open space.
It's "mostly" safe. I use it to get through walls all the time! I've used it dozens of times and only died once from it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The feeling you get when you find a cape or a jetpack on a good run is unmatched.

So is the sheer disappointment when you stupidly botch the game and immediately die afterwards!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
My game is still crashing on the majority of loadups and it's really annoying me at this point. Nothing else crashes on my Xbox so I don't think that's the problem really.

KuroNeeko

My game is still crashing on the majority of loadups and it's really annoying me at this point. Nothing else crashes on my Xbox so I don't think that's the problem really.

Yeah, the game red-ringed my 360. A couple of restarts fixed it and it runs fine on all my other games. Weird.

What does the 10k bald guy do?

Jump around attacking and picking up anything it can, and usually getting itself killed. If you babysit it a bit it can be useful, but make sure you keep it away from shops, it doesn't believe in paying for anything.

Andy Hull has said on his formspring that the AI partners stealing things is a bug and should be fixed when they put out a title update.

Daigoro

played too much Trials and VF over the weekend and not enough Spelunky!

looking forward to getting back to it in the morning. ive only been to the Ice Caves once and that was on day 1 for all of 5 seconds. getting a lot better at Jungle now though.

this game is really fantastic.

Love this game but only have a couple of people on my friends list that own it. Add me (Master Lee PhD) so we can get some competitive fun going on the leaderboards. ^_^

clockpunk

Was able to *just* make delivery of the golden key to open up the final shortcut - it was a very close final Ice Cave level - one life left, mines blocking my way to the exit, an awkwardly places land mass above me, and aliens messing around of jumping pads right where I needed to go. With one rope, I made the jump. What a rush!

Now, if I could only get past that final level... :-/ I get the main strategy, but it is the generated 'side-issues' that get me every time!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
How old is your Xbox?

A couple years. But like I said I have no other problems.

I've figured that it seems to be about communicating with Live. If I unplug my wireless receiver or sign out of my profile the game will always load (and the white screen with the dragon ring thing doesn't even come up) and I can then sign into Live and play.

Oh boy. I'm totally addicted to the PC version. Somebody help.

I had heard of Spelunky for a LOT of time, but it was ironically not until the X360 version was announced that I became aware that the PC version was free. I downloaded it a couple of days back, and... it's pure, unadulterated heroin. I'm in love.

I really don't want to spend 12€ in a Live Arcade game (I'm trying to phase out my 360 in favor of my PS3 and PC), but at this point I think it'll be inevitable that I bite. Only thing I can do is try to wait to see if a PS3 or Steam version is announced...

naib

I tried the demo with my TE stick and it did NOT work - at the menu screen it keeps scrolling through the options as if I was holding the stick up or down. I still managed to get into the game but again had issues - for example if I tapped right it would act if I'd continued to hold right. Same for tapping left - I keep going left. Setting the stick to be the left analog stick or d-pad made no difference. Really weird.

Is anyone having success spelunking with an arcade stick??

Anybody have anything on this? I have the same issue with a TE and a qanba fusion. Might try changing controllers after game launch but I assume it'd act wonky.

Bummer if we can't.

edit: the fact a fight pad behaves the same is weird. can't decide if that's helps drill it down or makes it more confusing.

Kyuur

Was going to deal the final blow the third shortcut, and ended up making it all the way to the end of the game! I died just before winning though. I did it all with a trusty cape that I won in a gambling room on Lv2. Not quite sure that'll happen again any time soon, haha.

Anybody have anything on this? I have the same issue with a TE and a qanba fusion. Might try changing controllers after game launch but I assume it'd act wonky.

Bummer if we can't.

edit: the fact a fight pad behaves the same is weird. can't decide if that's helps drill it down or makes it more confusing.

I just asked him about it on formspring:

AndyHull

Yup! We are aware of the issue, and it is on the list to fix in the title update. I actually just pulled my arcade stick out of the closet so I can test this.

What the fuck guys. I was in the
haunted castle, broke open the coffin and no one was in it

Same thing happened to me the first time I went in the haunted castle and opened the coffin. Turns out I squished the unlockable character against the wall the millisecond he popped out with the shield I took from the knight. I killed the unlockable character so fast it didn't even register that I'd unlocked him.

Top Bottom