• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions |OT| of Undelivered Ham

Spiderman-Shattered-Dimensions-logo-feature.jpg

Well, I reckon this game deserves an official thread, and while I had planned something a little more interesting a while ago, I got lazy and never finished it. Thus, the undelivered ham.

Photo-0174.jpg

Nevertheless, games deserve OTs, especially good games, so here we go.

What is Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions?

It's a new action game from highly acclaimed Canadian developers Beenox starring some obscure comic book character from the 60s. The hook this time is that you play as not one or two or three but four (well, in the DS version just three) Spider-Men from various parallel universes. It is available on PS3, 360, Wii, DS, and ostensibly PC.

Tell me of these Spider-Men, Segata.

Certainly, young scout. First, the very familiar Amazing Spider-Man. This is the Spider-Man we all know and love. Wears the red and blues. Voiced by Neil Patrick Harris THE NEIL PATRICK HARRIS OF DOOGIE HOWSER. His levels are action-oriented and very bright and colourful.

spider-man-shattered-dimensions-20100831100812865_640w.jpg

Next, we have Spider-Man Noir, the least-known Spider-Man in this game. He comes from an alternative Noir Marvel universe where everything is ultra-shadowy and conveniently Arkham-Asylumy. How lucky! Noir Spidey, clad all in black, is voiced by Christopher Daniel Barnes, who many of us will remember as the voice of Spider-Man from the 1990s OMG TEH DRAMA animated series. No word yet on if he spends half the time yelling MARRRYYYYYY JAAAAAAAANE but somehow I doubt it. Noir Spidey's levels play like an iffy xerox of Arkham Asylum, with lots of required sneaking because this particular Spidey is a wet tissue compared to the average thug.

spider-man-shattered-dimensions-20100818061424315_640w.jpg

Next is Spider-Man 2099. He is from the future! His voice is from the past! Dan Gilzevan from the 1980s Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends does the chores here. Spidey 2099 is quite a popular character and this is the first time he's been acknowledged in a video game aside from being an unlockable costume. His levels are action affairs. Everything is shiny metallic HD here.

spider-man-shattered-dimensions-20100818061416487_640w.jpg

Finally, we have Ultimate Spidey. OH WHAT THE, Ultimate Spider-Man is practically no different from Amazing, I hear you cry! Very true, very true, and that's exactly why he was chosen. You see, the kids, they like this symbiote thing. It's unreal the excuses we have to find to put the symbiote in everything these days. Ultimate Spidey is Shattered Dimensions' Excuse du Jour. Yes indeed, Ultimate Spidey is really just Symbiote Spidey, who we all remember from like every frigging Spider-Man game of the last half-decade. He's voiced by Josh Keaton of the awesome you-should-watch-it-now Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. Levels are again action affairs. Everything's all colourful and toon-shaded here.

spider-man-shattered-dimensions-20100818061430768_640w.jpg

The DS version omits Ultimate Spider-Man because memory space is money and he's kind of the most redundant.

Is this an open world game?

No. It's stage-based progression, like in ye olden days. This lets them do some actual level design instead of trying to figure out how to make Manhattan into a video game level instead of a frigging city. After playing some initial stages as each Spider-Man, you're free to choose levels from each Spider-Man's path in your quest for the Magic MacGuffins.

Oh hey, what's the story?

I can't imagine anyone actually cares, but okay. Amazing Spider-Man is doing some usual smart-ass crime-fighting when he accidentally breaks the all-important Tablet of Time (the thing what made Silvermane into a diaper baby), which shatters and scatters throughout the multiverse. Madame Web, Spider-Man's constant babysitter in all things universe-destroying, tasks him with finding the pieces of the tablet. Problem? Some of the pieces are in other dimensions, so she taps the Spider-Men of each of those dimensions to help clean up Amazing Spidey's mess. Naturally, some villains get in the way in each dimension.

Is the Wii version some shitty knock-off developed in Latveria?

No, in a shocking display of intelligence, the Wii is just a down-res'd version of the HD games. You get the same levels and everything. There's some kind of waggle thing thrown in there, but I'm sure you chaps are used to that by now. Details on that can be found here. It actually looks pretty nice.

11.jpg

Tell me about the DS version.

Sure. People always ignore the DS versions. Like Web of Shadows from a couple years ago, you really shouldn't miss the DS version of Shattered Dimensions. It's a 2.5D Metroidvania style affair with a really deep combat system not entirely unlike Devil May Cry's. You get three Spider-Men here, all of them but Ultimate Symbiote, and each with his own abilities and strengths. A full list of improvements from Web of Shadows can be found here. If you like Spider-Man or you like 2D action games, you should definitely definitely check it out.

spideydspreview8312010530.jpg

Segata, are there rad unlockables?

Oh ho ho, you bet Benjamin J. Grimm's ever-lovin' Aunt Petunia there are! Tons of costumes! Tons! You never had it this good! How did Beenox slip all this in without Bobby Kotick ransoming each of these for a buck!?

If you don't mind having your fun spoiled, here's what we know about so far:

Captain Universe, Gamestop pre-order exclusive (this is the only unobtainable costume through regular means at the moment)

Aside from Captain Universe, the rest of these costumes can be unlocked no matter where you bought your copy!

Iron Spider
Spider Armour
Scarlet Spider
Manga Spider-Man
Secret War Spidey
The Bombastic Bag-Man
Negative Zone Spidey
1602 Spidey
Noir Concept Spidey
Flipside (Yes, fucking *Flipside*...we are through the rabbit hole here, people)
Ultimate Spidey (Red and Blues)
Insulated Spidey

Okay, that's the Q&A out of the way. I'll post some of the reviews and some media and maybe check in now and then to make sure things are updated.

REVIEWS
PS3/360 VERSION
IGN - 8.0
Gamepro - 4.5/5
Game Informer - 8.5
1up - B
Gamespot - 7.5
Games Radar - 7.0
Euro Gamer - 7.0
Game Chronicles - 10 (lololol)
Gaming Trend - 88
Planet Xbox 360 - 8.8
Digital Chumps - 7.4
Official Xbox Magazine UK - 7.0

WII VERSION
Gaming Trend - 84
IGN - 7.5

DS VERSION
pending

Video showing the first ten minutes of the game

I could choke your browsers with more screenshots, but you guys know where to find more if you want them. Have at 'er, Spidey fans!

Niblet said:
So is the DS going to be the version to get this time around?
I think both are worthy of a purchase. Indeed, I bought both.

Certainly don't skip the DS version, though. I see far too many complaining about the lack of decent 2D action games and when I ask if they have Web of Shadows, they never seem to. Really bugs me.

The game is surprisingly good. Decent combat mechanic, good artworks and the voices acting are superb. It's the first time Spider-man actually feel like his comic book version. My only complain is the wonky camera.

I just picked it up tonight and I'm having a great time with it. Much like Singularity, it comes as a huge surprise and there is just a certain charm about it that makes it fun.

If anyone is on the fence, I'd compare it to the PSX/DC Spider-Man game (which was amazing).

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think both are worthy of a purchase. Indeed, I bought both.

Certainly don't skip the DS version, though. I see far too many complaining about the lack of decent 2D action games and when I ask if they have Web of Shadows, they never seem to. Really bugs me.

I will have to give DS version a try sometimes, after Dragon Quest 9 (which might be never).

BTW, who is in your avatar, he looks like my childhood hero Mr. Hiroshi Fujioka aka Hongo Takeshi.

The DS version should be arriving soon. If I find a kmart near here, I'll pick up the 360 version. Problem is I don't think there are any kmarts.

V_Ben

Banned
Spike said:
Just wanted to say that this is how you handle a Wii version. Kudos, Beenox!

Agreed. The wii version is totally on par with the other ones, based on what i've seen.

When's the PC version due out?

jarosh

whoa whoa whoa whoa

the ds version is the quasi sequel to web of shadows, which in turn was the quasi sequel to spyro: eternal night? developed again by the former amaze team @ griptonite? holy shit. i had no idea. will definitely get this. both web of shadows (ds) and eternal night (gba) are vastly underrated games with really great mechanics, tight controls and super fun gameplay. they deserve a lot more attention. so i have high hopes for this one...

jarosh

the improvements listed in that post over at the pa forums sound excellent.

DS VERSION HYPE

who cares about those stupid console versions :rolleyes

SuperCombo

Neo Member
So how do the other non-Noir sections compare to each other? Is the combat different enough between each of them so they don't just come off as re-skins of each other with robo goblins or slime monsters?

Is there Spider-Ham DLC?

Ridley327

I should mention that if you aren't laughing your ass off the entire way through a level starring a certain Merc with a Mouth, you are dead emotionally. I can't believe I'm saying this in 2010, but Nolan North knocks it out of the ballpark.

V_Ben

Banned
Ridley327 said:
I should mention that if you aren't laughing your ass off the entire way through a level starring a certain Merc with a Mouth, you are dead emotionally. I can't believe I'm saying this in 2010, but Nolan North knocks it out of the ballpark.

I was laughing all the way through the electro stage :lol

I'll try to stay current :lol

Ridley327

The Electro stage was worth it just because of Biff Fuckin' Tannen doing the VA duties for Electro. I cannot praise the VA work in this game enough; we've had nearly a decade of humorless Spider-Man games (all thanks, no doubt, to that talentless douche Tobey Maguire), so they had to make up for it.

And how!

V_Ben

Banned
Ridley327 said:
The Electro stage was worth it just because of Biff Fuckin' Tannen doing the VA duties for Electro. I cannot praise the VA work in this game enough; we've had nearly a decade of humorless Spider-Man games (all thanks, no doubt, to that talentless douche Tobey Maguire), so they had to make up for it.

And how!

I thought that that was him! He did a f*cking fantastic job there. All the electricity puns :lol

jarosh said:
whoa whoa whoa whoa

the ds version is the quasi sequel to web of shadows, which in turn was the quasi sequel to spyro: eternal night? developed again by the former amaze team @ griptonite? holy shit. i had no idea. will definitely get this. both web of shadows (ds) and eternal night (gba) are vastly underrated games with really great mechanics, tight controls and super fun gameplay. they deserve a lot more attention. so i have high hopes for this one...

Yeah this is great news for me too. I played a ton of Web of Shadows DS and enjoyed every minute of it.

I have never had the chance to play Spyro though. I should look for a copy while I am in the States.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Segata made a Spiderman thread?!? BBQOMG!

I may pick this up on the cheap as I have higher priorities in gaming at the moment. Looks interesting though.

robot

Moving my impressions from the old thread, mostly because I spent a good 10 minutes writing them and my opinion counts dammit.

------

Got a chance to play through Act 1 (1 level across all 4 dimensions) and I'm really happy with the game so far.

2099 is my favorite dimension so far, mostly because how intense it is - between the colors, dropping through flying car traffic while fighting hobgoblin, swinging through huge gaps while fighting cop cars, etc.

They did an amazing job getting the player into different mindsets for each dimension. While 2099 was intense and had some real insane action sequences, Noir was really strategic and slower paced. It's not just a simple reskin for each dimension, which is what I was expecting. Oh and Amazing Spiderman has some awesome combos that make his web turn into crazy shit (mallets, maces, etc)

+ Really nice graphics, love the visual distinction between each dimension
+ Combat is really fun despite being sometimes too twitchy, nice variety of moves
+ Boss fights are freakin awesome, and usually take place a few times throughout the level - probably the highlight of the game for me
+ Challenges add a ton of replay value and encourage you to try new things throughout each level (they are the basis behind upgrading your characters)
+ Upgrading is another great addition - there's some freedom with what moves you want to learn first (along with health upgrades)
+ Dialogue/VO is very entertaining, some real funny one-liners
+ Stages are long but in a good way, they never seem drawn out by adding waves of enemies (something I hated about Transformers)

- Dodging is a bit delayed, sometimes its just better to jump out of the way
- Controls seems a little too twitchy at times
- Walking on walls/ceilings completely screws the camera up, making it very difficult to control
- Some bugs, was unable to knock an enemy off a post (would go right through him and he would not die, happened twice), some enemies bugging out like they were caught on something, but nothing game breaking yet. Also went through the floor once and took a few minutes to fix itself, was pretty funny.

Ridley327 said:

If you pause the game during the Deadpool stage, after a few moments North starts doing his Scarface impression. :lol

GeekyDad

Niblet said:
So is the DS going to be the version to get this time around?

And last time around. If you didn't play Web of Shadows on DS, definitely check it out. The DS version of Shattered Dimensions is the only one I really care about.

Ridley327

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
If you pause the game during the Deadpool stage, after a few moments North starts doing his Scarface impression. :lol
I honestly have nothing against the guy, but he really needs to start taking on more roles like Deadpool and less NOLAN NORTH IS NOLAN NORTH. I know it's not entirely his fault that most of his directors just want Nathan Drake, but not even a little variation? He's a crazy talented guy; we need more of it!

Ridley327 said:
I honestly have nothing against the guy, but he really needs to start taking on more roles like Deadpool and less NOLAN NORTH IS NOLAN NORTH. I know it's not entirely his fault that most of his directors just want Nathan Drake, but not even a little variation? He's a crazy talented guy; we need more of it!
I very much agree with this!

Ridley327 said:
yup but it's not North's fault, the guy can change his voice and change his accent easily and is very talent and diverse.

It's bosses on top who want the Drake voice because they believe that Drake's Drake voice sells

Spike

GeekyDad said:
And last time around. If you didn't play Web of Shadows on DS, definitely check it out. The DS version of Shattered Dimensions is the only one I really care about.

This time around, it's both versions that are great. Actually, Web of Shadows on the consoles was not that bad, it was just the voice actor that they had for Spidey that really made the game worse that it was.

TreIII

Segata Sanshiro said:
Noir Spidey, clad all in black, is voiced by Christopher Daniel Barnes, who many of us will remember as the voice of Spider-Man from the 1990s OMG TEH DRAMA animated series. No word yet on if he spends half the time yelling MARRRYYYYYY JAAAAAAAANE but somehow I doubt it.

:lol :lol

Alrighty, I think you've sold me on this game, Mr. Sanshiro.

Ridley327

Barnes is a really good fit for Noir, since he has the most internal narration of all the Spider-Men and the 90s cartoon was 50% internal narration to begin with.

No MARY JAAAAAAAAAAAANEs yet, but it's still early.

MrMephistoX

I'm pretty surprised: as one of the few who actually hated the generic bland level design and mission structure of most of the free-roaming spiderman games this is great.

The only complaint I have so far is the fact that not every surface is climbable with the spidey powers other than that even the first person fighting seems refreshing.

Ridley327 said:

And how!

Seconded. Although I kinda liked Ultimate Spidey on Xbox and PS2...before this game though the Dreamcast version was my favorite.

EzLink

Banned
MrMephistoX said:
I'm pretty surprised: as one of the few who actually hated the generic bland level design and mission structure of most of the free-roaming spiderman games this is great.

As much as I fucking LOVE free roaming as Spidey, the level design and mission structures have all been terrible in his past four outings. Across the board. Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 3, and Web of Shadows. USM probably was the least offensive in that regard compared to the others, but it was still not very inspired. I just want a game that has balance. Well designed missions and levels, plus a city to dick around in.

But this game at least sounds like a nice, refreshing change of pace. And I'm a huge whore for unlockable costumes... the last Spidey game to do that aspect justice was the N64 one if I'm remembering correctly

EzLink said:
As much as I fucking LOVE free roaming as Spidey, the level design and mission structures have all been terrible in his past four outings. Across the board. Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man 3, and Web of Shadows. USM probably was the least offensive in that regard compared to the others, but it was still not very inspired. I just want a game that has balance. Well designed missions and levels, plus a city to dick around in.

But this game at least sounds like a nice, refreshing change of pace. And I'm a huge whore for unlockable costumes... the last Spidey game to do that aspect justice was the N64 one if I'm remembering correctly
The Wii version of Web of Shadows had a shit-ton of neat unlockable costumes. Too bad it was the worst version of the game.

Top Bottom