• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions |OT| of Undelivered Ham

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I still quite liked this game, even though I recognise it's not the best overall game. It's the only one that felt like I was playing a unique comic book story rather then just a generic game story.
I'm glad Edge of Time is coming out, quite easy to see what needed to be fixed with camera and wall crawling, and more of "if Spider-Man 2099 was a animated series" is always a good thing to me.

SykoTech said:
Yeah the first person boxing parts were just stupid. The only good thing I can say about them is that they were short.

I'm trying to Platinum all the levels on Hard too, but it's more difficult than I thought it would be. Getting a high combo rating and finding emblems is easy enough, but the time limit keeps slipping by me. And one Gold medal out of three seems to screw up the entire Platinum rating.

You don't have to get a platinum medal for all three categories in one run, just platinum each overall. So if you have already gotten Combat and Emblems, you can do a second run through the level just for time. Which was great, as after going through the entire game hunting for emblems for the second time (beat on Wii, then on PS3 as it was a gift), I never wanted to do so again.

SykoTech

^Oh cool, thanks for the heads up. Should be a breeze with that in mind.

Kinda looking forward to Edge of Time myself too, though I wish it was given more than just a year of development time. Darn Activision and their annual installments.

LTTP on this one, but I absolutely loved it.

Second best super-hero game of this generation behind Arkham Asylum. There was some jank (it is WAY too hard to stick to walls...and some walls you can't stick to...WTF?!), and I was irritated that Spidey had to travel on foot through some of the game (SPIDEY NEVER TRAVELS ON FOOT!), but other than that I loved it.

Oh, and it needed more Venom. Just cause I'm a fanboy. :D

I kinda feel bad for Beenox though, because the next one is coming out this holiday season and is gonna get crushed.

So the studio will either be closed or they'll be making CoD map packs within a few months.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea I revisited this game last month and cleaned out all 1000 achievements. Really underrated game and I enjoyed it more than most of the open-world titles. Loved how unique each level was, and while it had some issues, it was an all-around great package with a great amount of content.

garth2000 said:
I'd love to see more of the Spiderman Noir gameplay. That was so much fun. Shame it won't be in the next one.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the Spider-Man Noir levels just because they were so rigid. You MUST stay in shadows, and if you are caught, you can't fight your way out, you ALWAYS have to run. Didn't feel like I could really make use of my powers.

I can't see what they couldn't just add the stealth element to the two Spider-men in the next game. If you come up behind an enemy and he doesn't see you, then you see the indicator to press B for the stealth take-down.

The Antitype said:
I actually wasn't a huge fan of the Spider-Man Noir levels just because they were so rigid. You MUST stay in shadows, and if you are caught, you can't fight your way out, you ALWAYS have to run. Didn't feel like I could really make use of my powers.

I can't see what they couldn't just add the stealth element to the two Spider-men in the next game. If you come up behind an enemy and he doesn't see you, then you see the indicator to press B for the stealth take-down.

Stealth was very basic but Noir was all about the look. The carnival is one of the best looking levels you'll find in a game.

Tizoc

KenOD said:
I still quite liked this game, even though I recognise it's not the best overall game. It's the only one that felt like I was playing a unique comic book story rather then just a generic game story.
I'm glad Edge of Time is coming out, quite easy to see what needed to be fixed with camera and wall crawling, and more of "if Spider-Man 2099 was a animated series" is always a good thing to me.

You don't have to get a platinum medal for all three categories in one run, just platinum each overall. So if you have already gotten Combat and Emblems, you can do a second run through the level just for time. Which was great, as after going through the entire game hunting for emblems for the second time (beat on Wii, then on PS3 as it was a gift), I never wanted to do so again.
Wait wait, so I can get a platinum or gold for any category and stays if I replay the stage again to get a plat or gold for another category?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I never felt the same love for the Noir stages so many stated. As much as I love that era and all art styles related to it, the repition of sneak-slam-repeat x3-fight was boring to me.

Now I could enjoy something if they make a full fledge Noir game after Edge of Time, one in which they allow for 30's Peter to fight rather then needing to from them (though keep that it's far safer to run), and add variation into every stage and boss fight.
It doesn't need to be an Arkham Asylum clone like so many compared it to, just a full title rather then what came with cut-backs due to Noir being 1/4th of a game.

Tizoc said:
Wait wait, so I can get a platinum or gold for any category and stays if I replay the stage again to get a plat or gold for another category?

Aye. It stays the highest class of medal you've received.

Though fair warning getting Platinum on Easy will make it so it always appears as Platinum. So it might make things confusing if you are going for the Trophies/Achievement of getting Platinum for every stage on Hard.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Stealth was very basic but Noir was all about the look. The carnival is one of the best looking levels you'll find in a game.

Ah. I actually loved the comic-book art styles. Ultimate and Amazing.

I want another Ultimate Spider-Man game, damnit.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was really surprised by this game, even though I ran into a sizeable number of bugs and glitches (making the game feel janky sometimes), I had a lot of fun with SD. Playing as the different Spider-men offered the necessary variation.
But! They could've done a lot more to make the game feel even more diverse. The structure was way too rigid. I love the idea of chasing a boss throughout an entire level, but did they really have to do that for every stage? To mix it up, I wouldn't have minded some stages without one, or a stage with just a miniboss. You know, anything to get rid of the 3x4 structure that got repetitive and rather stale after a while. They also overdid some mechanics, like the first person fisticuffs.
It's too bad, they have 4 diverse characters and they decide to frame them in an overly safe structure.

This also applies to the levels themselves. Like someone stated here, the Deadpool level really didn't have to be that long. They could've cut the second rig out and that level would've been an amazing rush. It was still one of the best levels, but it just goes to show that padding out your game is never a good idea.

I'm really looking forward to Edge of Time. Focussing on 2099 and Amazing Spider-man will maybe allow Beenox to create a more focused experience, but on the other hand I'm kinda disappointed we won't be seeing Noir and Ultimate again, because those were my favorite levels actually :/

Game tempted me into reading the Noir comics, just love the atmosphere those levels created.

Aru

I'm LTTP for this game too.
It's pretty fun. Finished act 1 last week or so.
Gonna continue after finish Vanquish.

My main complain is how bad the camera is when you crawl on walls. Otherwise, good game.

Sounds like you guys are enjoying/enjoyed the game

I don't like it (ps3). The art is great, the concept of Dimensions are great, there are unlockables and level ups, which are all awesome. I am currently in Act 1 (finished Ultimate and Amazing, last section on Noir; I know I am early in the game), the "designs" of the level are so linear and generic that I am immediately put off by it. It feels as though, for each Dimension, is just a rinse and repeat of bunch of chores---collect this, save this, chase after so and so, beat this number of guys. This wouldn't be too terrible except that the Control is twitchy, spiky, and whatnot. I don't feel free and in control when I web swing. And so far, there is no character to each Spiderman---different skins that cracks the same jokes. It might be the second game behind Arkham Aslyum, for me it is waaaay behind.

So far I find some "creative" choices odd too---or too dumb down. For example, during the last boss fight in the Amazing section in Act 1, I could only hit him up to 4 combos then he will lock up. Then I have to run around until he makes some move. A really bad choice for an action-oriented game.

Or the first boss fight in the Noir dimension. Sneak! Oh ok, that's cool, right? Then it took me a while to find out the concept of "sneak behind" is to just get around the boss within a (decent) certain range then a move will be executed. I as a player will get punished if I actually perform a sneak move up close (the boss will immediately spot you even if you weren't spotted the whole time).

Or, Noir Dimension as well. Sneaking is the theme, which is awesome, ala MGS, Batman, Splinter Cell, etc. And knowing Activision I knew this would happen. You can have two guards pretty much be close to each other, but if I perform a sneak attack (which is actually pretty loud), the other guy won't even budge, unlike Batman AA, where the enemies would coordinate their attacks once they realize one of them is missing.

Or, I get caught. All I need to do is go in the shadow, even if I am just 5 ft away from where I was spotted---they can't find me anymore. Short-cut programming like this doesn't sit well with me. All games have their faults, and I really want to like this game, but...

And I have been playing the game on Hard.

So Spiderman Edge of Time is out next week. That's right next week. Activision is totally sending EoT to die and it makes me sad. So I have to ask, is anyone gonna make an OT? Does anyone care?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
So Spiderman Edge of Time is out next week. That's right next week. Activision is totally sending EoT to die and it makes me sad. So I have to ask, is anyone gonna make an OT? Does anyone care?

... what the hell, serious? I listened to four podcasts this week. Not a single one mentioned it's release! Wow.

Bebpo

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:

Do we even know anything about the game?

Spike

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

Adam Prime said:
... what the hell, serious? I listened to four podcasts this week. Not a single one mentioned it's release! Wow.

Bebpo said:
Do we even know anything about the game?

Sad to see that Activision isn't really supporting the title, because I have seen some footage of it on a videogame show up here in Canada called EP Daily, and it looks really good.

I don't have the skill to make the OT for it, so I really hope someone else liked Shattered Dimensions enough that they would consider it.

Spike

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Apparently there's some people on gamefaqs who have already beaten the game.

Yeah, the 360 version was made available to pirates yesterday, and the PS3 version, though unplayable due to 3.70 firmware requirements, was put up today.

:(

theDeeDubs

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

If it had Noir I'd be all over it again :(. Passing on it now though.

Robso

Sorry to bump but this minor question really isn't worth making a thread over.

I'm on Act 3 and have begun the Noir level, can you then also play the other Spidermen as well as keeping your progress in the last one you played?

Thanks.

Top Bottom