• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions |OT| of Undelivered Ham

JohngPR

I love the character models in this game.

ojfszt.jpg

So shocking good!

:lol

hamchan

Well I loved the PS1 spidey games, Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man. It's good to hear positive impressions for this game, feels like a long time since I've played a decent spidey game.

strideramc

I am really liking the game so far. I dig 2099's levels the most, but they are all pretty fun. It's nice to play a decent Spider-Man game for a change.

strideramc said:
I am really liking the game so far. I dig 2099's levels the most, but they are all pretty fun. It's nice to play a decent Spider-Man game for a change.

I finished 2nd Act. I am glad they are not doing free-roam stuff, because this make it for much more interesting level design. There are some realy awesome set-pieces with good boss fight.

My only beef really is with the camera and the auto-target .. but not enough to ruin the game.

panda21

just picked this up and got some kind of DVD with it for my trouble. look like it was made specifically for the game and has the first episodes of 4 different spiderman cartoon series on it.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Played a couple ours last night and so far I'm kind of lukewarm. I'm a huge Marvel nerd and I loved Web of Shadows, but I feel like the combat isn't as snappy and responsive as web of shadows. The lack of an open world also was a disappointment. I'll keep playing just not sure I'll finish.

brain_stew said:
Is this an UE3 game?

Ridley327 said:
CriWare, actually.

CriWare is the company offering the middleware used for the playback of all CG movies in the game (CriMovie).

And it is not using the UE3 engine. It's was made using Beenox own proprietary engine.

KevinCow said:
So anyone have anything to say on the DS version yet? Apparently DS games don't get reviewed anymore or something.
IGN gave it a 7.5. Called it a "rare gem". Major negative point was its brevity. Sounds like Web of Shadows DS to me. Unfortunately, my copy is being shipped with EO3, so I can't say much first hand, but I really trust the guys who developed it.

I have been playing this game for the last few days and have to say it is pretty awesome. It has some issues, mostly just blatant design missteps but most of them are easy to ignore.

Walls that you can't crawl on make absolutely no sense and should have been fixed. The crawling in general is probably the worst part of the game. It is glitchy, the camera jumps around, and often times Spidey has trouble climbing over the simplest little ledge that it is in his way.

It"s not too much of a problem except in the Noir levels where you are sneaking around. It can be quite glaring there but I guess it is just something you have to look past. I honestly can't think of a game where the crawling felt natural besides the original PS1 game. I might even be remembering with rose-tinted nostalgia-o-vision but it always felt like each movement was deliberate and steady not the lizard scampering away feeling that most games have.

Don't really care that they did away with the open world as a lot of the levels are pretty well designed. I really liked the deadpool level so far.

The voice acting, costumes, art style, sound, and everything else is really on spot though. So yeah, an extremely satisfying experience with a few complaints here and there.

I can't believe we got two awesome super-hero games on the same day since Brave and the Bold also kicks a lot of ass.

Finished the game. As comic book guy would say. Best Spider-man game ever.

Did anyone notice during the Carnage level,
Deadpool and Electro locked up in the same cell?

Also the scene at the end credits. Amazing. :lol

So I think I'm going to grab a copy after work. I'm a marvel anything nut and I haven't bought a new game in a long time.

Now to decide on which version, I know people have stated no known tearing or frame rate issues, but how does the PS3 version compare with the 360? Is anyone favored?

JohngPR

Just finished up act 2 and I can honestly say this game is so much fun! The Deadpool level was hilarious and massive. I manged to collect 129 spiders....wonder how many there are in that level. 0_o

It reminds me of Batman Arkham Asylum in that Beenox tried a few different gameplay touches outside of the norm much like Rocksteady did which makes for cool unexpected moments in the game.

Make no mistake, I think Batman Arkham Asylum is a much better game although different. My comparison has to do more with all of the little different touches that both developers added to their respective game to keep things fresh and interesting.

Looking forward to the last 1/3rd of the game.

Phloxy

Don't understand why people like this game. Its a horrible game, the web swinging itself is a complete joke. Shitty animations, boring combat with re-used web of shadows animations. Utter garbage.

Boney said:
Just in case anybody is interested, there's a graphics comparison between the Wii version and the HD versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKfQKsKKHL0

Makes you wonder how'd things would've fared if they would've done this from 2006.

Wow, that's actually pretty impressive. The Wii version even has light maps in areas the HD versions don't.

LsaEp.jpg

Look at the lights on the walls in the 2 versions. I can't believe the Wii version has graphical "effects" not in the HD version. Still, I kind of wish they gave him environment map bump mapping for his body than extra light maps.

Platy

the red and blue spider-man is cell shaded on the wii version and the siperman 2099 is more saturated .... as much as i love cell shading, these changes don't make sense o_O

panda21

the image quality is so bad in that picture ^^^ i cant even tell which is the wii and which the hd version :lol

only problem i have with it so far is that when you jump, you land slightly above the ground and then drop down onto it. not usually noticeable but slightly jarring when you see it happen.

KevinCow

Banned
Alright, so I went ahead and picked up the DS version. It's pretty fun so far.

+ Controls feel great. It feels pretty much like WoS, maybe with some refinements. Simply navigating the environment is fun, and combat feels great too.

+ Super Metroid-style map is much better than the one in WoS.

+ Boss battles are pretty fun. It's nice that they change things up. They even have a different set of bosses from the console version.

+ Separate difficulties for combat and exploration is a great idea. I wish you could change them mid-game though. I'd have loved to play with hard exploration, but the ability to drop down to normal for a bit of guidance if I got too lost.

- Combat can get a tad repetitive. It's easy to find a few moves that work on most enemies and just keep doing them. I imagine some more finesse might be required on hard mode, though.

- I really hope there are more areas that I don't see on the map at the moment. As of right now, each of the three Spideys has one area to explore, and they're all kinda small to boot.

- Most upgrades are kinda boring. They're either basically a key that does nothing but open new paths, or an ability that you've had from the start with the other Spider-Men.

JohngPR

Phloxy said:
Don't understand why people like this game. Its a horrible game, the web swinging itself is a complete joke. Shitty animations, boring combat with re-used web of shadows animations. Utter garbage.

You have such a strong reaction to the game that I'd hazard to guess you haven't played it. I played the crap out of Web of Shadows and the animations are very different. There are a few that are reminiscent of WoS like the web strike, but for the most part they seem to be very different to me.

In fact, I'd say that WoS has better animations in some ways. I think WOS' animations are smoother during web swinging and seem more natural while Shattered Dimensions are a bit twitchy in comparison.

Aww man, seeing all these positive impressions really makes me want to get it. But I just don't know which to get it on :/ Wii or PS3? Or just wait for the PC version?

AnimatorZombie said:
Game is ok. Still waiting for a game to nail the "I'm Spiderman" feeling as much as Arkham did for Batman.
Spider-Man is a frustrating character to try to adapt for a video game because his powers basically exploit all of the things that are a pain in the ass, developmentally speaking. I'd say only Superman is more difficult to make a game of, when it comes to the big heroes.

Luckily Spidey fans are generally pretty laid back folk who know when to relax and have fun.

Though I have to say, Spider-Man 2 gave me that "I'm Spider-Man" feeling as far as mobility went, and Web of Shadows PS3/360 gave me the "I'm Spider-Man" feeling as far as combat goes.

Luigiv

Platy said:
the red and blue spider-man is cell shaded on the wii version and the siperman 2099 is more saturated .... as much as i love cell shading, these changes don't make sense o_O
The Wii has only a fraction of the processing grunt that the HD systems have (like maybe 10% or so). Changes like that were necessary to preserve the aesthetic quality.

Anyone beaten either the 360 or Wii version and know how long the game is, minus any time it takes for unlockables? If it's long enough, thinking about buying it instead of renting.

neojubei said:
I feel like going back and reading Spider-man 2099 right now.
It's never a bad time to read Spider-Man 2099! If you haven't read it yet, there was a great cross-over into Captain Marvel several years back that resolved a couple hanging plotlines from after Peter David left. Totally recommend it. Captain Marvel #25-27 maybe? The arc is called "Time Flies".

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Segata Sanshiro said:
It's never a bad time to read Spider-Man 2099! If you haven't read it yet, there was a great cross-over into Captain Marvel several years back that resolved a couple hanging plotlines from after Peter David left. Totally recommend it. Captain Marvel #25-27 maybe? The arc is called "Time Flies".

thanks i'll have to look for those. I wish there was a full length 2099 game.

Spike

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's never a bad time to read Spider-Man 2099!

I remember going into my friendly, neigbourhood convenience shop all those years ago and picking up Spider-Man 2099 issue #1, not even knowing about the series beforehand. I never read it, and I lost the issue. :(

So a few weeks ago, when I went to the local grocery store to buy milk and bread, I noticed a bin with older items, and what should I see? A mint copy of Spider-Man 2099 #1!!! I was aghast. I took it, when I noticed a little kid looking at me. He looked like he was going to cry, so I asked him if he wanted the issue. Kid was so happy, it took me back.

Hesemonni

Banned
Aarrgh!

Am I the only one who is constantly distracted by the way the character movement and camera movement feel jumpy and clunky (Dunno how to phrase it better) and not smooth at all?

Playing the X360 version btw.

Beat it around 10 hours, with most of the challenges complete. I thought it was great! Instead of great platforming and swinging with mediocre combat you got great combat with crappy swinging and platforming. The main thing is to focus on the web zip and you'll be ok but some of icons were a headache. Otherwise I think this is the best Spider-Man game ever made, mainly because of the focus on the villians. They're all treated very well and the they play a large part in the entire level, not just at the end. A hero is only as great as his vilians and Spider-Man has some of the best imo. The different visual and play styles (especially with 2099 and Noir) allowed the game to have a lot of variety, you never really got tired of one (though the stealth aspect of Noir can get unwieldy with the camera). Overall, I don't really think they can top this game. Activision has it's problems but I'm happy they've given us the best Spider-Man and Transformers games ever this year:D

Ridley327

The final boss is kinda weird, in that
it felt like the situations that Ultimate and Amazing were put into should have been reversed. Amazing never has to contend with dozens of guys at the same time and Ultimate never had to deal with as much platforming and aerial combat.

That said, the ending is a lot of fun and the credits are an absolute riot. The final surprise was exactly what I'd thought it'd be and it did not disappoint. :lol

Spike said:
I remember going into my friendly, neigbourhood convenience shop all those years ago and picking up Spider-Man 2099 issue #1, not even knowing about the series beforehand. I never read it, and I lost the issue. :(

So a few weeks ago, when I went to the local grocery store to buy milk and bread, I noticed a bin with older items, and what should I see? A mint copy of Spider-Man 2099 #1!!! I was aghast. I took it, when I noticed a little kid looking at me. He looked like he was going to cry, so I asked him if he wanted the issue. Kid was so happy, it took me back.
You're a good man, Spike. If only we all did our part with putting comics in kids' hands.

Ridley327

Also, I had no idea that Dan Slott did the writing for the game. He's probably the best choice they could have picked; the writing is pitch-perfect.

AwesomeSyrup said:
So is this a linear game like the PS1 Spider-Man games or is it open world like the previous 5 or 6 games?
As I mentioned a while ago *, it's a stage-based affair like the older games. No open world here!

(* All the way back in the OP, true believers! --Smilin' Segata)

Ridley327

Segata Sanshiro said:
That would explain why it's actually funny.
I'm always very wary of when they bring in comic book talent to work on the writing for a game since it rarely turns out like either party can hope for, but this game is absolutely under no pretense that it's remotely serious (Stan Lee is the narrator, for crying out loud!) and I think that gave Slott a lot to work with. Everyone involved with the VA deserves a lot of credit, too; it could have been a gimmick to round up all this talent, but everyone brought their A-game with them and it shows.

JohngPR

Segata Sanshiro said:
Spider-Man is a frustrating character to try to adapt for a video game because his powers basically exploit all of the things that are a pain in the ass, developmentally speaking. I'd say only Superman is more difficult to make a game of, when it comes to the big heroes.

Luckily Spidey fans are generally pretty laid back folk who know when to relax and have fun.

Though I have to say, Spider-Man 2 gave me that "I'm Spider-Man" feeling as far as mobility went, and Web of Shadows PS3/360 gave me the "I'm Spider-Man" feeling as far as combat goes.

This 100%

Web of Shadows had its issues, but I loved the combat. Going from the ground to the side of a building to aerial combat all in the same combo was exhilarating. You can tell Shaba games' influence in it (they did Tony Hawk ports before WoS) because it almost felt like you were doing a trick line in a Tony Hawk game.

I've already been accustomed to Spider-Man games having tricky cameras so the camera in Shattered Dimensions doesn't bother me.

Top Bottom