• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Just got the Best Buy Splatoon Bundle Wii U for my birthday today. Tilt aiming still is weird to me, but this game is hella fun. Any super newbie tips?

Doorman

Just got the Best Buy Splatoon Bundle Wii U for my birthday today. Tilt aiming still is weird to me, but this game is hella fun. Any super newbie tips?

- Walls don't count (but can be advantageous for traversal and surprise-attacks)
- Don't aim low (most of the time)
- Keep an eye on the map if you ever get a moment of down-time to get a sense for how the match is going and a general idea of where the opponents might be.
- Super-jump responsibly!
And the most important of all,

- Staaaaaay fresh!

Crisium

Nub advice: Don't play roller. Personally I say don't play ever, but at least until you figure out how good roller players operate. They can all die in a fire, but there's a method to roller dominance.

Neoxon

• Move forward with unrelenting offense when you start a match, but when you die for the first time, take care of the areas that you may have missed.
  • Jump during confrontations so you don't get shot at as often.
  • Stick with the motion controls, you'll thank me later.
  • Painting the walls don't count towards your team's score, but they're good for setting up surprise kills in certain stages.
  • Keep an eye on the map just in case shit goes south for your team.
  • The icons on the top of the TV (the ones that show the number of alive &/or dead teammates) grow if your team's winning & shrink if your team's losing. This is good for when you aren't sure if your team is in the lead by just looking at the map.
  • C'mon = "I need some help, spawn on me!"
  • Booyah should be used as an occasional taunt for whenever you do something badass
  • If you use the Aerospray RG, cover your ass by planting a mine behind you if you go into narrow areas (or ahead of you if you're retreating).

• Move forward with unrelenting offense when you start a match, but when you die for the first time, take care of the areas that you may have missed.
  • Jump during confrontations so you don't get shot at as often.
  • Stick with the motion controls, you'll thank me later.
  • Painting the walls don't count towards your team's score, but they're good for setting up surprise kills in certain stages.
  • Keep an eye on the map just in case shit goes south for your team.
  • The icons on the top of the TV (the ones that show the number of alive &/or dead teammates) grow if your team's winning & shrink if your team's losing. This is good for when you aren't sure if your team is in the lead by just looking at the map.
  • C'mon = "I need some help, spawn on me!"
  • Booyah should be used as an occasional taunt for whenever you do something badass
  • If you use the Aerospray RG, cover your ass by planting a mine behind you if you go into narrow areas (or ahead of you if you're retreating).

Rad, thanks all.

Also, any other suggestions, besides Smash for games? I got the 2 Earthbound games because I'm a Mother fan...

- If you swim slowly you don't cause ink splashes that give away your position.
- Only the floor counts for scoring, only paint walls if you're using them to get to another location
- Don't always squid jump to teammates, they might have enemies around them and they'll see where you're going to land and kill you on the spot. Look carefully to see if the ink around them is changing a lot, or if they're in enemy territory.
- Always Be Coloring. Keep moving to locations where you can cover more ground or cover your opponent's ink.

Heng

Rad, thanks all.

Also, any other suggestions, besides Smash for games? I got the 2 Earthbound games because I'm a Mother fan...
Mario kart if you love mario kart games, donkey kong tropical freeze if you love dkc games, hyrule Warriors if you love dynasty warrior games, and bayonetta if that floats your boat. I would also suggest golden sun if you like jrpgs but it may be underwhelming.

Doorman

Oh yeah, one of the newbie tips that I think is important to keep in mind, though it's also a bit map-specific at times: Take care not to over-extend an advance! If your team is already in a position where they have an obvious majority of the map covered, it can be tempting to keep pressing forward and try pushing toward the opponent's spawn for a big blowout, but if the whole team starts doing that, it becomes that much easier for an opponent to sneak out and start retaking the middle without the attacking team even realizing. "Jailbreak" scenarios like this seem to happen on Urchin Underpass in particular (other people have said this can happen on Walleye Warehouse as well).

Basically if you want to press into enemy territory and really leverage a lead, be mindful of the opponent's escape options and keep an eye on side-routes.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I have lost 12 of the last 13 turf war games. One of those was a disconnect but such trivalities don't matter to the game.

I had been on a 4.5 win streak. I thought about cashing out, but no, I wanted to get to 5.5. Even if I lost one, I'd just drop to 4.0 and still be able to cash out, right? But then I lost a game and my win streak went down by 1.0 to 3.5 and I have no idea why.

So I played another to get back to 4.5 at least before cashing out. Nope, lost, went down to 2.5 for some reason.

I tried switching lobbies from time to time. I tried taking a break to walk the dog for a bit after 5 straight losses. Came back, won one, then lost 7 straight.

I've been pretty consistent in my play, too: 550 to 650 points with the Blaster in every game, sometimes more. A little inconsistent with the kills, but still. I generally produce.

I can't tell you how demoralizing it is. And this happens all the time. I don't think I've ever had a 5.0 win streak. I have half a mind to sell this game, it's not worth all this bullshit.

Geg

God I don't think I've ever played so inconsistently. Some matches I'm wiping out the whole enemy team at once and others I'm swimming straight into rollers not watching where I'm going

Heng

I've been pretty consistent in my play, too: 550 to 650 points with the Blaster in every game, sometimes more. A little inconsistent with the kills, but still. I generally produce.

I can't tell you how demoralizing it is. And this happens all the time. I don't think I've ever had a 5.0 win streak. I have half a mind to sell this game, it's not worth all this bullshit.
Your problem here is that you're using a blaster but not controlling the map. Your points look okay to me, but blasters shine in kills. If you cannot consistently land kills with it then you are not using it to its full potential. The gun sucks at covering ink but is amazing at killing people. You may need to practice killing people with the weapon or just switch to a different one. Chargers (especially scope chargers) will help you with twitch aiming which is essential for blasters but it maybe too difficult to use.

As for your win bonus, you can cash out anytime you want. You could get a +99 win streak then lose it all and still get your 1400 coins. The bonus takes your highest streak you've gotten and rewards you based on that number.

What are the general thoughts on Tower Control? Just played my first two and it's pretty fun. Got my first quadra kill on the first game

Robotguy

Oh yeah, one of the newbie tips that I think is important to keep in mind, though it's also a bit map-specific at times: Take care not to over-extend an advance! If your team is already in a position where they have an obvious majority of the map covered, it can be tempting to keep pressing forward and try pushing toward the opponent's spawn for a big blowout, but if the whole team starts doing that, it becomes that much easier for an opponent to sneak out and start retaking the middle without the attacking team even realizing. "Jailbreak" scenarios like this seem to happen on Urchin Underpass in particular (other people have said this can happen on Walleye Warehouse as well).

Basically if you want to press into enemy territory and really leverage a lead, be mindful of the opponent's escape options and keep an eye on side-routes.
This is super important, I can't tell you how many times my team has over extended and either gotten wiped, or let somebody through and them messed everything up. I almost always stay at what I consider to be the most defendable location once we have captured enough turf to guarantee victory.

Junahu

Let this be a sign. Clark never lagged till he used a Dynamo Roller.
Didn't you know? Lag is one of its innate abilities.

It was another off day for me and my charger. I don't think I got a single legitimate kill that wasn't a lucky Killer Wail.

Neoxon

Rad, thanks all.

• The Wonderful 101 (don't bother with the demo, just get the game)
  • Bayonetta 2
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • New Super Mario Bros. U (& get the New Super Luigi U expansion DLC)
  • ZombiU
  • Pikmin 3
  • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What are the general thoughts on Tower Control? Just played my first two and it's pretty fun. Got my first quadra kill on the first game

It doesn't suit my playstyle and I try to avoid ranked when it's going. I played a few matches in it today and it definitely seems better than the first few days it was out when it was just chaos, but it's still my least favourite mode. I would much rather have a TF2 style Payload map, where you have points and a time. Then the other team tries to match and beat it. As it is, it's just a bunch of random people with little coordination trading splats and praying your teammates understand the point.

For Competitive play, ie; a metagame with set teams, communication and everything, I think Splat Zones is still the go to. I think Tower could find a place as well, as it'll be completely different with organization. I'm interesting to see how competitive play will be. Will weekly rotations switch maps and modes, or will they stick just with one? Competitive Turf Wars would be super interesting as well. I'm looking forward to August a lot.

Jintor

I love tower control.

I just wish splat zones had either moving splatzones or crazy splatzones cos shit that would be awesome

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Tower Control gives me the opportunity to practice my charger, use my blaster and different clothes I'd never touch in Splat/Turf. On the negative side, it makes me yell at my television a lot because people in the B/B+ rank will give me an aneurysm they are so inept at times. At least in Splat Zones I can hold a point by myself sometimes when my teammates decide going on a 'sneaky' detour for 45 seconds behind enemy lines, only to be splatted without doing anything, is a good idea.

Geg

Wow, the custom dual squelcher does not do well on port mackerel tower control. Basically everything blocks my shots

Totakeke

"Hey these two idiots are painting the enemy base while the tower is coming to our base." Game ends. "Oh, they're B rank, no wonder".

How have I missed this site? My breaking news posts are now super irrelevant :(

Gotta get some stuff done for work and hopefully I can jump on by next rotation.

But it's wrong.

Top Bottom