• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

chargers can kill anything. Therefore, I suggest you should use chargers

the amount of Bluefin hate here is disheartening, it's one of the top maps with Mall and Skatepark

I should look into those, because I don't understand how they're always outranging my Splattershots and .52s and hell even when I was with the .96 I was getting splatted.

And ranked I went from 40 A to 4 A-

nope, B+ 70 =/

Least favorite: Arowana Mall. Fuck it. Fuck the wall, fuck the middle section, fuck everything.

Favorite: Walleye Warehouse and Port Macklemore tie.

Grakl

I'll take your thoughts on all of them!
These are all for Kelp version specifically.

Tower Control: I win but I can't tell you why since I haven't played it enough. Sometimes I ride the tower, sometimes I hang back and snipe people. I use the sprinkler for defense (I sit under it) when on the tower and I've got quite a few kills from people jumping on the tower and trying to shoot me. It's dumb.

Splat Zones: Just like any mode, depends on the map.

One situation that happens often: I'm not getting kills but I'm not dying. If this is happening then my team is winning because, with Splat Zones that have only one zone, the Splatterscope (and any charger really) covers so much ground with a full charge compared to most other weapons. Some games I just chill and do this the whole time because other teams can't typically deal with both the rest of my team and keeping the zone in their color.

There are a decent number of games where I go 2-0, 1-0, or 1-1. I don't lose these. This is just an example of something you can do -- there's no need to focus on getting kills if the other team can't deal with your ink output. Also, I use the sprinkler, which helps with this as well.

If I'm on a map with two zones I'm constantly switching from defense to offense and back. Depends on what my team is doing -- I usually actually do the opposite.

For example, if 3 people on my team are going on offense on Port Mackerel I'll hang back to defend the point because an enemy could be missed and capture our point by itself if undefended. If nobody is on offense then that probably means the other team is on offense, and my Splatterscope can usually capture a whole point in three fully charged shots or so, which is actually pretty quick.

Going on offense in this mode, and in this game as a whole, is usually about a combination of map awareness and being aware how many people on your team are alive vs the other team. If your team has more people alive, you can probably go on offense. If not, stay on defense unless you want to take a risk in taking the point.

Also, not dying is usually more important than kills if you're a charger because things can fall apart easily. If you actually have to carry, that means you're doing most of the work controlling the map. If you die you may never get back to middle or the point, assuming your team isn't competent enough. That's why I'm usually more defensive -- easier to carry if you're not dead!

Turf War: If you're playing against randoms it doesn't really matter, they're all ass.

But really, easiest way to win is to camp somewhere and holding that somewhere, assuming that place is ideal and controls the middle. I only ever deviate from camping if my own spot is getting camped, which is rare. And even then I have to get camped enough for it to matter. If I'm dying more than a couple times a match then it's not working.

If you're getting camped, put up a defensive sprinkler. If you position it correctly on most spots it's actually hard to deal with. An example is one of the perches in the middle of Urchin Underpass with a grate. You can put up a sprinkler to the side, making it very hard to get up the wall without taking damage. This is possible in a lot of maps.

Juking is much more important in this mode than others. Here's what I do:

Stay behind a barrier and throw down a sprinkler. It can kill people if they play sloppy. Make sure to constantly be juking around said barrier, and if you're not swimming and throwing down a sprinkler you should be charging and be ready to aim and hit as soon as the other player turns a corner.

Basically, always have a sprinkler down near you, and use your fast charge time to get 2HKOs. Spamming uncharged shots typically isn't viable because your shots are thin, so they're less like to hit. Try for at least 25% charge, which is a mere fraction of a second.

That's a couple things I guess. I'm typing from a phone, so let me know if things don't make sense or if you disagree with something.

Edit: I also use my sprinkler offensively to help my team push if I'm on the low ground.

Play the game like a MOBA. Map awareness and control is king. Risky plays and overextending is death.

Enforced

About the music on the ending credit:
for some reason it reminds me so much of luigi mansion ending credits. :p

Robotguy

How's it going with the duel squelcher?
I've been playing a lot of custom jet squelcher the last couple of days and I'm liking it a lot.
Mostly played dual squelcher last night and I thought I sucked for the most part. Wasn't really rusty or anything, I was just doing dumb stuff mostly.

I've been playing a lot of custom jet squelcher the last couple of days and I'm liking it a lot.
Mostly played dual squelcher last night and I thought I sucked for the most part. Wasn't really rusty or anything, I was just doing dumb stuff mostly.
Nice I thought about looking at the custom dual squelcher myself

Heng

Anyone here skilled with the scopes? I use the Splat Chargers, but scopes outranging me pisses me off. It seems like it would be really hard to aim elsewhere and then switch onto an opponent fast enough with their tiny visibility. I was having a hell of a time of it in the testing range.
You can preemptively aim at your targets. The idea with scopes is that you kill them before they realize you're aiming at them. As soon as your view starts zooming in, you should release your shot. I'm not sure how much my power ups play into my charge time, but right before it zooms in I can kill my target, although the range on it will suck since I barely charge it. I'll elaborate on this idea once I'm home if you still want my advice.

Any little tips you can on advancing/being aggressive and when to switch between camping/defending territory and going on the offensive.
Play a Squiffer or a blaster. It teaches you to aim fast or you'll die. With blasters, don't try to 2 HKO and try to land direct blows on your target. Go to random rooms and play as aggressive as you want, don't be scared of dying.

You can preemptively aim at your targets. The idea with scopes is that you kill them before they realize you're aiming at them. As soon as your view starts zooming in, you should release your shot. I'm not sure how much my power ups play into my charge time, but right before it zooms in I can kill my target, although the range on it will suck since I barely charge it. I'll elaborate on this idea once I'm home if you still want my advice.

Play a Squiffer or a blaster. It teaches you to aim fast or you'll die. With blasters, don't try to 2 HKO and try to land direct blows on your target. Go to random rooms and play as aggressive as you want, don't be scared of dying.

Squiffer feels more satisfying for aggressive play IMO. You don't have the crutch of an AoE blast.

Thanks! I've been playing with it a bit in TW and seem to be slowly getting the hang of it. I really don't like the idea of preemptively aiming though, people often manage to escape me if I do that. Trying to learn it well enough that I can twitch with it when need be.

Edit: Holy crap, I just compared Splat vs Scope in the range and the difference in reach is like a foot. It feels like a TON more than that in battle.

Zing

Banned
So, is there really none of the 15 usual gaffers online or am I victim to the old "no friends online" bug?

Are there any gaf lobbies people are in that I can add, randoms are not a good way to practice with the kelp charger?
Feel free to add me to friends. I suggest putting your NNID in your GAF profile here.

Azure J

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I pretty much chose the Splatterscope to have the full "death from five miles away" experience. I'm just in a weird transition where I somehow do WAY better when I'm on the ground scouting than when I stick to traditional vantage points. I'm probably not explaining myself well enough here though, so sorry if it's confusing.

Azure J

I'd like in on that lobby too Triforce. Nintendo really needs to kill the limit on friends on the Wii U. Between this, Smash and Mario Kart, I'm maxed out and constantly juggling NintendoGAF for games in different things. =/

So, is there really none of the 15 usual gaffers online or am I victim to the old "no friends online" bug?

Feel free to add me to friends. I suggest putting your NNID in your GAF profile here.

They could be playing ranked or the single player, also what's the no friends online bug?

Robotguy

Nice I thought about looking at the custom dual squelcher myself
Geg mains the custom.
I've played it a little. The beakons are great on some of the maps but I like having the bombs in combat situations to try to flush people out of hiding so I don't have to get into close quaters combat. Personally, I don't really like killer wail as a special, so if I'm using the custom it's just because I want the beakons for the particular rotation I'm playing on.

Heng

Squiffer feels more satisfying for aggressive play IMO. You don't have the crutch of an AoE blast.
Yeah I suppose so. I feel that the charger practice I've been doing made me much more accurate with blasters.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I pretty much chose the Splatterscope to have the full "death from five miles away" experience. I'm just in a weird transition where I somehow do WAY better when I'm on the ground scouting than when I stick to traditional vantage points. I'm probably not explaining myself well enough here though, so sorry if it's confusing.
Oh. Have you considered using E-liter? It's much better than scopes if you're going to sit on a perch. I don't know what scope could offer you that an E-Liter couldn't on a vantage point.

Not at all. The Brush is life™. I just want to be more well rounded so I've started keeping a .52 Gal Deco (shooter) and Splatterscope (charger) handy to compliment the brush.
Ah gotcha.
I'll keep this in mind next we play will probably take me some time to get used to lol

Geg mains the custom.
I've played it a little. The beakons are great on some of the maps but I like having the bombs in combat situations to try to flush people out of hiding so I don't have to get into close quaters combat. Personally, I don't really like killer wail as a special, so if I'm using the custom it's just because I want the beakons for the particular rotation I'm playing on.
Yea I agree I like having bombs as well

Azure J

So I just had a match so incredible I had to leave the room just to collect my thoughts. A team of chargers (two E-Liters, a standard Kelp Charger, and my Splatterscope) versus a team of shooters and a roller on Arowana Mall. Already this looks hilarious, but then things instantly became GOAT when EVERYONE on my team moved in perfect unison for the first thirty seconds getting everyone to an optimal position. Lots of max charge - squid strafe - max charge to lay paths everywhere then once the two E-Liters got set up, I was playing to the field and it just worked. Massive amounts of ground covered, bodies by the dozens and camaraderie I didn't know four people all around the globe could have with only the words "Booyah" and " C'mon!"

12/10, Splatoon GoTG

Oh. Have you considered using E-liter? It's much better than scopes if you're going to sit on a perch. I don't know what scope could offer you that an E-Liter couldn't on a vantage point.

I want to like the E-Liter but something about it feels so high maintenance to me. I'll experiment with it some more in the future, especially since I've never used anything with Echolocator before. :lol

Geg

Geg mains the custom.

I love the killer wail for little moments of unexpected kills and also those deliberate overkills where you use it on a single enemy you see trying to be sneaky. Like yesterday on arowana mall I saw someone swimming up the ramp on the side of the map and I was able to angle it upward to splat both them and someone else I didn't even know was there.

And also funny moments like yesterday me and Red had a duel on arowana mall that involved us activating our killer wails at the exact same time to try to take the other out

Robotguy

I love the killer wail for little moments of unexpected kills and also those deliberate overkills where you use it on a single enemy you see trying to be sneaky. Like yesterday on arowana mall I saw someone swimming up the ramp on the side of the map and I was able to angle it upward to splat both them and someone else I didn't even know was there.

And also funny moments like yesterday me and Red had a duel on arowana mall that involved us activating our killer wails at the exact same time to try to take the other out
Yeah, I've seen a couple of simultaneous killer wails in opposite directions. It's pretty funny.

Heng

So I just had a match so incredible I had to leave the room just to collect my thoughts. A team of chargers (two E-Liters, a standard Kelp Charger, and my Splatterscope) versus a team of shooters and a roller on Arowana Mall. Already this looks hilarious, but then things instantly became GOAT when EVERYONE on my team moved in perfect unison for the first thirty seconds getting everyone to an optimal position. Lots of max charge - squid strafe - max charge to lay paths everywhere then once the two E-Liters got set up, I was playing to the field and it just worked. Massive amounts of ground covered, bodies by the dozens and camaraderie I didn't know four people all around the globe could have with only the words "Booyah" and " C'mon!"

12/10, Splatoon GoTG

I want to like the E-Liter but something about it feels so high maintenance to me. I'll experiment with it some more in the future, especially since I've never used anything with Echolocator before. :lol
Lol that sounds like you guys totally dominated the other team.

If you do try the E-Liter, power ups is a must. You might want to try running with 2x main power up with a few sub power up. Without power ups, it takes about 75% charge to deal 100 damage but with 3x power up mains, it takes about 55%. You may also want to invest a few subs into main ink saver too.

I don't know why I didn't stop playing sooner before de-ranking twice =/

Now I need to win 3 games just to get back to A-. Went from A 40 (and 1 win before the map rotation) to B+ 72. #salty

Holy crap, I just had a blaster trap me in their AOE, swim up beside me so I'd miss, only to have me turn exactly right and snipe them from six inches away. They must have been so mad. XD

Crisium

So people what's you're fav and least fav map go.

Fav: Urchin Underpass

Least: Bluefin depot

Turf Wars:
Fav: Arowana Mall, Walleye Warehouse, Port Mackerel
Least: Urchin Underpass

Splat Zones:
Fav: Port Mackerel, Blackbelly Skatepark
Least: Saltspray Rig

Tower Control:
Fav: Port Mackerel, Arowana Mall
Least: Saltspray Rig

And I didn't even like Mackerel the first few times I played it. I enjoy Saltspray Rig for Turf Wars just fine, but for ranked god no. For Splat Zones actually all 1 zone maps are boring. It's much more fun trying to defend / capture 2 points at once. When I get a rotation with neither Port nor Skatepark I'm sad.

Huh, did not expect to go this good with the Kelp Charger in my first few matches of Tower Control.

h72BdEf.jpg

Zing

Banned
Despite Tower Control being very good to me (earned two ranks in one night), I just don't enjoy it anymore. It's spam city, even at A+ rank. I prefer the more strategic splat zones.

Azure J

Dumb question, how many losses do you guys go through before putting down the gamepad for the day?

As often as I get bodied by GAF, I never really stop playing when I'm in a session. I'll just back out and beat up on randoms hoping to learn a new tactic or just keep sharp then come back in. Game is too fun even though some situations will leave you mostly NaCl.

Zing

Banned
Just played against two krakon rollers and two 96 deco. If I never see a Kraken again in my life, it will be too soon.

Top Bottom