• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Robotguy

So, apparently I can get to the middle of Urchin Underpass fast enough to stop Red's preferred opening play if I'm playing Dual Squelcher, but not with Custom Jet Squelcher. Guess I'll need to figure out an alternate strategy when I'm using CJS.

Mega

Banned
I once had a teammate who fired an inkstrike that completely missed the zone. True story.

Seen this happen enough times that I think it's an accidental press or disorientation from having to quickly look down and press a location before getting splatted. I've done it a couple of times myself. Or it could be strategy. I'll hit the high ground next to the zone in Saltspray if there are campers there.

noshten

Any tips for Tower Control? I'm a roller user. I've played maybe ten matches and the teams I've been on have maybe won once. It seems too "random" and back and forthy. People just Splatting each other over and over and nothing's really happening... yet everytime we lose! lol

Use Krak-On, Flank and Build Special, when your team is about to lose control - use Kraken, get on tower watch as opposition run away in panic while you have your seconds of immortality.

I wasn't a believer in Defense Up until playing with GAF crew last night (SM239, Azure J, Totakeke, Vecks, etc.)

There were times where I would start running away and get hit about 2-3 times and still live. Before Defense Up, I would be splatted. It seems to help more when you're a decent distance away and getting hit with ink. Doesn't help as much up close (Or at least I couldn't really tell).

Zing

Banned
I wasn't a believer in Defense Up until playing with GAF crew last night (SM239, Azure J, Totakeke, Vecks, etc.)

There were times where I would start running away and get hit about 2-3 times and still live. Before Defense Up, I would be splatted. It seems to help more when you're a decent distance away and getting hit with ink. Doesn't help as much up close (Or at least I couldn't really tell).
This is why I always run damage up when using a long range weapon.

Geg

Seen this happen enough times that I think it's an accidental press or disorientation from having to quickly look down and press a location before getting splatted. I've done it a couple of times myself. Or it could be strategy. I'll hit the high ground next to the zone in Saltspray if there are campers there.

In my case it was on Saltspray but it happened when there was like 10 seconds left on the enemy's clock. At that point even if you use the inkstrike to try to take out or distract people on the northern part of the stage, there won't be enough time to take the zone back, especially if the distraction doesn't work

Mega

Banned
Assuming a minimal amount of compentency, they are likely just charging their special. That said, you rarely see that at higher ranks and I agree that it is a poor tactic.

Extremely poor and makes no sense if they bothered to think about it: sit back and build up your meter in a false sense of gaining the upper hand by getting your super "early"... but letting the enemy simultaneously build up their own meters, take the point, push into your territory, set up beakons, lay mines, take the best spots, wait hidden in ambush, still have empty ground to build up meter when they respawn, etc.

This is why I always run damage up when using a long range weapon.

My favorite will always be Main Ink Saver. It's so good. If you're using a weapon that has a high fire rate, it's basically a special charge up as well. Whenever I don't have it, I play like shit. I need it lol. Probably because I'm an aggressive player.

Zing

Banned
My favorite will always be Main Ink Saver. It's so good. If you're using a weapon that has a high fire rate, it's basically a special charge up as well. Whenever I don't have it, I play like shit. I need it lol. Probably because I'm an aggressive player.
I don't find that I need it unless using the Splattershot Pro, and even then it doesn't seem to help much. :D

I don't find that I need it unless using the Splattershot Pro, and even then it doesn't seem to help much. :D

I usually main the Jr. and I'm all over the place. I try not to let my opponents prepare for me. I pounce and I'm always firing. I'm always pushing and rarely sit back or camp. Which is why you messed me up a couple times last night with the Splash Wall. I couldn't get to you lol. I definitely can't afford to run out of ink with my play style though.

Busaiku

People always say this. Just place beakons in a position you will use them, and then if your team also happens to use them that's a bonus.
I never use them, but whenever teammates have them, they place it like 10 steps from spawn point or in the middle of fire.

Rize_21

The Kraken one, it has the best range. THere's only three rollers, correct?

... HATEFUL BULLYING. LOL I love it,

Yeah, splat bomb / killer wail, beakon / kraken and the carbon one with burst bomb/ inkzooka.

For Tower mode, don't hesitate to put beakons all over the place( 3 max), for two things, to distract the bad guys and splat them as they totally deserve it, and to allow your teammates to superjump safely( even though the sad reality is that almost no one give a s...quid about the beakons, people prefer to get a double splat once they land / or worst of all, swimming like if it's a turf war :'( ), really spam this thing like there's no tomorrow, usually, it won't be a priority for the opponents, sometimes I just install it around the tower platform to superjump directly back on it, as the hitbox of the pillar is a little bit larger than it appears, it doesn't matter if it gets destroyed while you're preparing your superjump.

Once you've built your special, if the tower is in your team's possession, just go chill as a kraken on it / do some barrel rolls if some splattershot jr. want to join your party with their bubbler activated, in my opinion it's a waste to attack people on the ground in that form, that'll make you win 6 precious seconds which can give some serious advantages, especially on the choke points.

Personally, I prefer to roll with the vanilla one and am usually the only dedicated rider (feel that that's what people expect from the roller users), by throwing suction bombs as much as I can( usually 2~3 in a row), and with some bomb range up skills, I can reach everything, that's the configuration I take to get the surroundings clear, even if it's for a short moment, but as a rider, I go with those skills: 2 quick respawn and stealth jump, subs are some ink refill up and special up, and it has done a really good job so far.

Something important, be careful to not roll against the pillar, you'll get some knockback that can make you fall to your death, this effect even applies with the slow dynamo...

I'm still in the A- pool, but if you feel comfortable with the roller, you can do all the way to A+ with it, and, if things still go really bad, there's the .96 gal and the blasters, it makes this mode much easier.

BEX3afe.jpg

I use ink saver with this load out got lucky with 2 ink savers

RVln6JL.jpg

When using the tentatek or shorter range rapid weapons like the nzap and splash o matic I use this

Mega

Banned
Sometimes I feel bad about using a beakon like it's someone else's food that I shouldn't be touching and they were saving it for something important.

SM239

we should be tacky and start a GAF clan, including clan tag and everything

Don't forget to use as many symbols and special characters as possible in your player name.

★♪{ǤɅϝ}§ɱϨʓ9♪★ Reporting for duty.

phanphare

Banned
Had a teammate yesterday place a beacon on our spawn point

this happened to me a few days ago in random turf wars. I spawned, saw it there, and then clicked it to spawn to it and make it go away because seeing it on the map annoyed me lol.

I hope that player didn't think I found it useful

Vecks

Used .96 gal for the first time yesterday. That thing is pretty good. Think I'll give it a go in ranked today. Might help me get out of B.

Robotguy

PadWarrior you're my dude but that hat's got to go

it's as fresh as 80 year old ass
Seeing that had on a roller strikes inspires fear in my heart though.

I wear that hat when I'm playing Jet Squelcher. I think it's probably one of the best pieces of headgear in the game in term of abilities.

Azure J

I always try to have builds with Special Charge Up, Ink Saver Main, Ink Resistance Up (even after the nerf) and Swim Speed Up (usually as subs) personally. I feel like these are just the core to doing really well and as a brush boy, they all help to make me get places coated faster. Additional abilities I like in any form that aren't specialty things
(Ninja & Cold Blooded the gods)
include Ink Recovery Up, Quick Respawn, and Ink Saver Sub.

Still want to experiment with a few other builds though just to see what's good and how they can mesh with my play style or weapon choices.

Seeing that had on a roller strikes inspires fear in my heart though.

I wear that hat when I'm playing Jet Squelcher. I think it's probably one of the best pieces of headgear in the game in term of abilities.

Oh definitely. It just sucks that it looks like it does. The combination of Ink Savers on it frees up so much room for experimentation on the other pieces of gear, but fuck that if I have to immediately give up on style points. :lol

Geg

The ink saver main headphones are Forge so they have a higher chance of rolling special duration up. Might be useless depending on your special

Azure J

I hate beacons cause none of my team ever uses them right.

I hate beakons because if you let someone hyper competent anywhere near your base and are by yourself without a means to stop the entire team from zerg rushing in, chances are you're going to get stalled the fuck out every time you respawn. Fighting SM239 yesterday on both Bluefin and Mackerel when he had beakons at his disposal gave me fond memories of fighting my first stall team in Pokemon. If you aren't aware of what's up, gg no re.

StAidan

I haven't taken off my jungle hat since I got it. Way too useful, and I don't care what the haters say, it looks snazzy.

Geg

The night the sploosh-o-matic came out I played a few gaf games and one of them was a team of me, red, and two other sploosh-o-matic users meaning everyone on my team had beakons. At the end of the match there were nine fucking beakons spread across the map, it was hilarious

Azure J

The night the sploosh-o-matic came out I played a few gaf games and one of them was a team of me, red, and two other sploosh-o-matic users meaning everyone on my team had beakons. At the end of the match there were nine fucking beakons spread across the map, it was hilarious

I'm kinda upset I haven't participated in a day 1 no items, new weapon only, turf war match since the Splash-O-Matic came out. That night was fucking hilarious, we were tanking the hell out of the game's framerate with all those suction bomb rushes. :lol

Top Bottom