• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Doorman

I thought Splattershot was king of long range power, but it seems the Tentatek Splattershot has it beat.

In terms of the gun itself, the two of them have identical range and power, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. The only potential "range advantage" of the Tentatek would be using the inkzooka.

Zing

Banned
In terms of the gun itself, the two of them have identical range and power, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. The only potential "range advantage" of the Tentatek would be using the inkzooka.
Haha. It is just from my experience today. I use the splattershot and get wrecked by the tentatek. I switch to tentatek and get killed by splattershot.

Ragus

Banned
Is this game only played by 20 lvl japanese players? Matchmaking seems borked. Freshman european and I ma not enjoying getting stomped by overpowered gear.

Azure J

So this took me longer than I want to admit. Here's some of my sets:

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01hyqsw.jpg

Basic Inkbrush build. I call it the "balanced special offense" build. It's entire gimmick is "get meter fast, Inkstrike everything". Explicitly designed for Kash Dome but I love the red and white theme enough to consider it a "default" for myself.

Alternatively:

Same concept except I trade Ink Recovery for Ink Saver Subs. Not sure which I like more in effectiveness, but Inklings look way cooler with caps/visors on.

The Inkbrush god. My favorite setup and probably the one I've used most since I acquired everything needed for it. It's your standard ninja squiddery with perks to benefit that style of play. While nowadays I'll opt to try more stuff, this one will always have a special place in my heart. It's also like the uncontested god of cleaning up in ranked for whatever reason when paired with the .52 Gal Deco. You'd think folks would suspect random Seekers more often...

That said, I want to get the triple subs on all three pieces of gear so I've got a fair bit to go.

Cooooold blooodeddd. Swap one color polo for another. Serve with either Firefin Fish Fry visor or Tentatek Fake Contacts depending on what you see yourself doing more of between swimming around or chucking sprinklers. Please enjoy responsibly.

My basic charger build. Bomb Toss Up to use splat bombs for getting people out of hiding and two damage ups because they do make a difference. Ink Saver Main because duh and Swim Speed Up because gotta go fast. Unfinished since I still need those extra two slots on my hat.

A Cold Blooded build for my charger optimized around looking fly as fuck getting in as often as possible (the hat is supposed to have three quick respawns while the shoes are supposed to get three quick super jumps) assuming a mode where I die a lot or just want to hop around from person to person because why not. Also has the added bonus of three Ink Saver Subs to play with from the jacket itself.

...honestly this one only exists because that varsity jacket is straight up flames. If only I could justify it not having Ink Saver Mains or even an Ink Recovery Up chance...

Finally, some experiments:

Only because I wanted a green look. This can definitely be better optimized around a specific theme.

This one I'm tentatively calling the asshole build. Run around doing whatever the fuck, build copious amounts of meter then go HAM with specials. If you die, Quick Respawn gets you out there trolling faster than usual and Special Savers on the hoody hold on to all the meter you fought for and earned.

A tenacity build primarily for my Inkbrush. TBH though, the Neon Sea Slugs are kinda eh. That color is too loud for most inkling colors. :lol

Robotguy

Yeah the whole point of my opening is to get to the middle 'ditch' and then do what I can until my team gets there. Any kills I get are just bonus.
The ditch poses a big problem to me as a primarily long range weapon user. If someone is in the middle I can't shoot down over the edge without being super exposed to any short range weapon. I can come down one of the ramps and hopefully range out people if they're near the middle or far side, but if anyone is waiting for me on the near side I'm probably done for. Not sure how to approach it.
Maybe I just need to switch to something with a lower time to kill when playing there.

RedFyn

Is this game only played by 20 lvl japanese players? Matchmaking seems borked. Freshman european and I ma not enjoying getting stomped by overpowered gear.
Level is only an indicator of time played. It has nothing to do with skill. What are you finding overpowered?

Robotguy

So how do I not suck horribly with the charger? Which abilities on a charger are most desired, is there a 'best' charger weapon?

Every time I play one I do terribly and feel like I lose the game for the team I'm on. I'm talking like 400p max without win bonus. Compare that to the machine gun type and I usually can get up to 800-1000 points before win bonus.
Damage up is heavily recommended for most chargers since it allows you to kill before reaching full charge so you can shoot quicker. Squiffers are an exception to this.
With the charger you should focus more on area control than on getting lots of paint down. If you keep the enemy locked out of an area your teammates can paint it more freely, and it should stay painted unless your opponent manages to take back the area. But, in terms of painting the most effective way to paint as a charger is usually to shoot forward, strafe a bit, shoot, repeat. I've found that I can cover area fairly quickly as a squiffer using this method. I don't really have much else to recommend, as I don't do much charger play.

RedFyn

Access to more sub abilities and more weapons is not skill
Is there supposed to be a question mark at the end of this?

The ditch poses a big problem to me as a primarily long range weapon user. If someone is in the middle I can't shoot down over the edge without being super exposed to any short range weapon. I can come down one of the ramps and hopefully range out people if they're near the middle or far side, but if anyone is waiting for me on the near side I'm probably done for. Not sure how to approach it.
Maybe I just need to switch to something with a lower time to kill when playing there.
Pretty much why I go there first. It offers me the most protection and allows me to use the walls to move around.

I think the best way to approach it is to use the arc of the ink to shoot into the middle without getting close.

I have a hard time touching anyone that is in the corner on the left right after you enter the middle are

Vecks

I'm kingjolly :p

Ah, I figured it might be you...
okay, not really.
If you got room on your friends list, I'll try to add you later.

So how do I not suck horribly with the charger? Which abilities on a charger are most desired, is there a 'best' charger weapon?

Every time I play one I do terribly and feel like I lose the game for the team I'm on. I'm talking like 400p max without win bonus. Compare that to the machine gun type and I usually can get up to 800-1000 points before win bonus.

I don't play charger, so I can't give you much advice. But I don't think you need to be so down on your score. From what I've seen, chargers are most effective for defending key points, blocking pathways, acting as a safe beacon and getting kills to slow the enemy offense. Doing so usually means not getting much inking done, unless you take a more mobile approach. So 400-500p sounds about normal to me.

Ahnez

Hey, they are level 20 and Japanese? Didn't you know that Japan is inherently overpowered? Japan needs a nerf.

I'm Japanese and I'm pretty bad, so you're clearly incorrect
lol

Also, I accepted your request, PadWarrior :) Now I have one friend in my list
/cry

Robotguy

Is there supposed to be a question mark at the end of this?

Pretty much why I go there first. It offers me the most protection and allows me to use the walls to move around.

I think the best way to approach it is to use the arc of the ink to shoot into the middle without getting close.

I have a hard time touching anyone that is in the corner on the left right after you enter the middle are
Yeah, I try to get to the left corner frequently when the mid zone is controlled by the enemy, or if they're making a push towards our door. The game doesn't really offer any safe approach options to that area so I can make full use of my range. The downside being that I don't have great retreat options from that location.

Zing

Banned
Japan sucks at shooters.
I think in all three of these Splatoon threads, not a single time did someone refer to any other race or nationality other than Japanese. This is played from from south america to europe and its as though Japan is some other planet.

Is the game out in Russia? I'd love to see some cyrillic names so I could say "that russian bastard splatted me".

Ahnez

I think in all three of these Splatoon threads, not a single time did someone refer to any other race or nationality other than Japanese. This is played from from south america to europe and its as though Japan is some other planet.

Is the game out in Russia? I'd love to see some cyrillic names so I could say "that russian bastard splatted me".

I believe its partially because its hard to tell someones nationality just by their mii name. But Japanese tend to use jp characters in their names, so its easier to recognize.

If you see someone crazy good, but with a random name, you will just forget about him/her shortly after. But if his/her name is a japanese one, you will remember that a japanese player was really good. Mostly because of this 'Japanese player' trope

Crisium

Noooo! We just had TC, and I see my fav two Splat Zone maps come up. But... it'll still TC. These aren't bad for TC, but come on...

I believe its partially because its hard to tell someones nationality just by their mii name. But Japanese tend to use jp characters in their names, so its easier to recognize.

If you see someone crazy good, but with a random name, you will just forget about him/her shortly after. But if his/her name is a japanese one, you will remember that a japanese player was really good. Mostly because of this 'Japanese player' trope

I remember how they lag.

New Splatfest already? Rollercoasters vs. Water Slides.

CJgSESkWUAAJh37.jpg
They probably planned this months ago and didn't account for the delay of the first splatfest.

That said Rollercoasters make you think you're going to die so water slides it is!

...Actually I'll just be going with whichever one seems more popular at the time.

DaBoss

I like to view the Jungle Hat as a fisherman hat or an exploration hat where any sort of vest and any sort of boots makes your inkling look like an explorer. I think the Dark Urban Vest and Tan Work Boots give that look even better.

And yea, water slides for sure. Or ink slides.
DaBoss I see you on stream http://www.twitch.tv/tarolg
Yea. I usually leave rooms after a few games to switch weapons, but didn't want to leave the room lol. I actually got into the room by chance, didn't realize he was streaming.

Watching the VOD now lol.

Top Bottom