• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

if you get killed by something that shouldn't have that kind of range, there's a strong possibility that lag was involved
I had been getting some lag earlier but I think it's also my own fault too cause I keep backing away and I think by doing that I leave myself open to the blast damage but if I get in their face I should win like 9/10 times right?

Oh and in 3 hours of play I finally got back to A-.

Zero²

I swear the Sploosh is legit on tower control, at least on Arowana and Underpass. It's the best loadout for flanking. I swear that's the weapon you want every death-related perk for and quick super jumps.
The Best thing the sploosh has going for me is that I don't need to use any dmg up, and can focus on other stuff.
Plus killing aerosprays at close range is always fun.

Mdk7

Someone in Japan made a real life Inkzooka. It only sprays water though lol

vthuJ7T.gif

LOL

Used some more of the Splash O Matic (not sploosh) last night and I'm really liking it. May use it next time I'm in a GAF room (love my tentatek).

Nico_D

Nice. Got dropped from B to C+ today. Why do I get matched with a team that just wonders around painting corners of the map when the enemy is closing our base with the tower? Can't they see it from the pad?

Or in Splatzones, how about actually painting the zone?

Geg

Nice. Got dropped from B to C+ today. Why do I get matched with a team that just wonders around painting corners of the map when the enemy is closing our base with the tower? Can't they see it from the pad?

I once had a teammate who fired an inkstrike that completely missed the zone. True story.

Zing

Banned

Assuming a minimal amount of compentency, they are likely just charging their special. That said, you rarely see that at higher ranks and I agree that it is a poor tactic.

Violet_0

Banned
I had been getting some lag earlier but I think it's also my own fault too cause I keep backing away and I think by doing that I leave myself open to the blast damage but if I get in their face I should win like 9/10 times right?.

dunno, they can still take you out with one hit, with a good fire rate. You have to stop them before they get into range

thinking about it, the Range Blaster will probably not OHKO because that would be the end of all rollers

e: yeah I'm getting lag killed left and right, Japanese blaster splats me with two shots seconds after I killed him at max E-Liter range

69wpm

I see I'm not alone. I still don't understand how some people get into the A-rank and don't seem to look at the GamePad once. Had a team in Tower Control who refused to ride the tower. Guess who the guinea pig was who died a lot.

Nico_D

Assuming a minimal amount of compentency, they are likely just charging their special. That said, you rarely see that at higher ranks and I agree that it is a poor tactic.

Just now I had a level 15 charger player. The tower had returned to the middle after a fierce battle and everybody were rushing to it. Except, of course, this player with the charger. He was shooting long shots toward the opposite wall at the spawn place when I super jumped.

Sigh.

Well, I managed to get a good team and won three or four matches. Back to B-.

edit: oh, my crowning moment from one of those matches: Killer Wail, four bodies! Sweet!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Any tips for Tower Control? I'm a roller user. I've played maybe ten matches and the teams I've been on have maybe won once. It seems too "random" and back and forthy. People just Splatting each other over and over and nothing's really happening... yet everytime we lose! lol

Any tips for Tower Control? I'm a roller user. I've played maybe ten matches and the teams I've been on have maybe won once. It seems too "random" and back and forthy. People just Splatting each other over and over and nothing's really happening... yet everytime we lose! lol

I'm not a roller user but I do switch to longer range weapons when I play tower control.

Jintor

Tower more than anything is about concentrated pushes. Picking off enemies one at a time is not overly useful. You need to take out all immediate threats and gain as much ground as possible before reengaging.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Tower more than anything is about concentrated pushes. Picking off enemies one at a time is not overly useful. You need to take out all immediate threats and gain as much ground as possible before reengaging.

Yeah... so I guess its everyone's complaint: this mode requires team coordination, and its hard to really do that because... well, everyone knows why.

Which is a bummer. I still like unranked, and my wife and kids love it too. But sometimes I just want to level up equipment faster through ranked matches, but it feels like a complete random crap shoot if I win, because it takes a coordinated team to win.

Geg

In my experience rollers tend to do better off the tower splatting enemies around to defend it. Longer range shooters like the squelchers and splattershot pro are more suited to riding it because they can easily shoot into the enemy's ambush spots

Jintor

I think team coordination is harder if you're used to the idea of coordination as being planned and deliberate, as opposed to the idea of it arising naturally and emergently from players playing well and observing what's happening at any given moment.

backlot

I had so many tower control matches last night where my team totally failed to gain any ground until the last 30 seconds where we nearly tie up the game in overtime. Why can't they just play this way in the first 5 minutes of the match?

Also, any particular weapon good for just getting points? Really trying to hit 20 before the weekend.
Aerospray RG (the gold one) will probably work nicely if you stick with it in Turf Wars. It has a good rate of fire and spread, and has the Inkstrike for special, which covers a lot of ground quickly and can be aimed anywhere on your gamepad. Aerospray RG can get 1000+ points per game, and that's not even taking the win bonus into account.

If you are very confident in your trigger finger though and want to try something more difficult, the Inkbrush covers ground even faster and also has Inkstrike. Its a melee weapon and doesn't kill instantly like other rollers though, so you have to be really sneaky with it.

The final recommendation would be to do Ranked battles. When I started out as C-, I was getting 1800 points each time I won. As a Jet Squelcher user, that's a pretty amazing score that I'll never get in Turf Wars. And your winnings will just keep going up the higher you rank!

guys luna blaster is pretty good for tower control
The lack of range on the Luna Blaster is really awkward for me :/ I'm more used tobisong the normal Blaster and the Rapid Blaster at this point, though Blasters in general do pretty well in Tower Control.

Rize_21

Which model do you use?

I only got the game recently and am a lowly C+ Level 12, but I've used the Splattershot Pro (and recently switched entirely over to the L-3 Nozzlenose) because it's easier to pick off individuals around the tower before they can get close or to get them off the tower quickly without being on it.

phanphare

Banned
I only got the game recently and am a lowly C+ Level 12, but I've used the Splattershot Pro (and recently switched entirely over to the L-3 Nozzlenose) because it's easier to pick off individuals around the tower before they can get close or to get them off the tower quickly without being on it.

disruptors on tower control are great. nerfs whoever is on the tower and shows you where they are.

Crayolan

Rollers are very strong in TC. All you gotta do is get next to the tower then jump and flick and you'll kill pretty much everyone on the tower. Then when you build up a special you can go Kraken and just sit on the tower staring down your opponents too scared to get on.

Aside from that, just keep track of the tower at all times in general, since you can't rely on your teammates to do it (especially below rank B). Also once you reclaim the tower in your own territory, you can jump off, since it will start moving back to the center on its own. And lastly, if you have a decent, not too hard to defend lead, then focus more on defense than offense. Defense is easier than offense, so there's no point in over extending if you have the lead anyway, unless you're really confident you're about to get a knockout.

The Team Cat salt continues.

Top Bottom