• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

I'm gonna echo the observations on getting to the enemy's half as a Charger on Bluefin Depot. It's pretty difficult, but I'm usually the one on the Tower, so I haven't messed with the side that the tower doesn't go to.

Well bang goes my ranking. Not sure I'm feeling Tower Control much at the moment to be honest. I just feel like I get killed within seconds of getting on the tower and don't feel like I'm contributing much when not on it. I must have played ten games and lost about 8.

Salty.

Grakl

I start my military service next monday :p From there it's 2-3 weeks with 0 hours of Splatoon. After that it's weekends and sometimes not even that when I can potentially play.

Dayum, you're gonna have withdrawals

Well bang goes my ranking. Not sure I'm feeling Tower Control much at the moment to be honest. I just feel like I get killed within seconds of getting on the tower and don't feel like I'm contributing much when not on it. I must have played ten games and lost about 8.

Salty.
What weapon you using?

ryechu

I wish the -6,8,10,12,14 system would make sense. I swear of gotten +8s for having 3 ranks above on my team, but then i play A B A B vs enemy team A- A- A- A and lose ten points.

edit. Well at least it pays me back. A B+ B- B- vs 4 B- nets me ten points i guess. i should ride this to 99 a+

Violet_0

Banned
Which brings the question of how ever they designed the game to support playing with friends only in one mode is beyond me. I assume August update will rectify this.

if Tower Control (and the other ranked modes, though I don't much care for Splat Zones) aren't available for private lobbies by August I'm probably done with this game. Turf Wars is nice and all but it feels like the tutorial for the more complex modes now. I'm just curious how they are going to fill a room when you don't have 8 players from your friend list available - I guess they'll have to split the game modes at some point
I wish the -6,8,10,12,14 system would make sense. I swear of gotten +8s for having 3 ranks above on my team, but then i play A B A B vs enemy team A- A- A- A and lose ten points.
I got 8 points from a win and both teams had the exact same rang

Nico_D

I changed my weapon to Dual Squalcher (or whatever) with Beakons and the number of losses has gone down. Range is great and Beakons really help. Plus Killer Wail, of course.

Grakl

96gal I think (I can never remember the names). With seeker and inkstrike.

The mode just seems awash with blasters and rollers.
I've seen shooters do fine, but I would go for something with a grenade or ink wall, since subs are pretty important. Seeker doesn't really help.

69wpm

I changed my weapon to Dual Squalcher (or whatever) with Beakons and the number of losses has gone down. Range is great and Beakons really help. Plus Killer Wail, of course.

Whenever I use that weapon, my team decides not use the damn beakons :( And then I play against a team with beakons and they jump all over the place.

Sendou

if Tower Control (and the other ranked modes, though I don't much care for Splat Zones) aren't available for private lobbies by August I'm probably done with this game. Turf Wars is nice and all but it feels like the tutorial for the more complex modes now. I'm just curious how they are going to fill a room when you don't have 8 players from your friend list available - I guess they'll have to split the game modes at some point

I'd just like the community to worry about that. Just let those of us that can gather 8 people have matches with ruleset we define.

Sendou

If this game gets decent lobbies where you can pick the map and mode, it'll legit be my GOTY.

Same here. Tournament mode not unlike in Mario Kart 8 where you can freely choose maps and modes to rotate. Not the best case scenario by any means but if that happened it that would be awesome.

ryechu

I should not be getting ten points per win as an A+ B+ B- B- against 4 B-. This is bullshit.

I feel dirty riding this room to 99 A+ but whatevs. 4 more games till golden rank.

Nico_D

Whenever I use that weapon, my team decides not use the damn beakons :( And then I play against a team with beakons and they jump all over the place.

Yeah, that can happen. At least I can get quickly from place to place.

In the maps I've played Tower Control so far there are some really strategic places for the beakons.

There was someone asking about past multiplayer FPS/TPS experience before Splatoon. I don't have much experience in the genre. I've played The Conduit, Metroid Prime Hunters (RIP touchscreen), and if it counts, Star Fox Assault MP. These games are the games I've played the most. I have some time in BLOPS 2 ( maybe 20 hours), Half Life 2 Deathmatch (played once or twice), and TF2 ( like 2 matches).

Like I said, not much experience.

Grakl

I remember Metroid Prime: Hunters back in the day. Game was so fun, I loved online. Also, the different characters were cool.

Sendou

There was someone asking about past multiplayer FPS/TPS experience before Splatoon. I don't have much experience in the genre. I've played The Conduit, Metroid Prime Hunters (RIP touchscreen), and if it counts, Star Fox Assault MP. These games are the games I've played the most. I have some time in BLOPS 2 ( maybe 20 hours), Half Life 2 Deathmatch (played once or twice), and TF2 ( like 2 matches).

Like I said, not much experience.

Counter-Strike:Source and GO on PC. CoD4 and Halo 3 on Xbox 360. Mainly those. Although I never played much multiplayer FPS's on PC.

Okay, got some tries in on Tower Control.

Switched out from my trusty .96 Gal mostly so I could get inkstrike and/or suction bombs.
I like that suction bombs can stick to the tower in a bunch of places.

The blaster seems really popular in this mode.

Snipers end up pissing me off on my own team, especially if there's more than one. They never want to get on the tower, and sometimes you really need them to.

Okay, got some tries in on Tower Control.

Switched out from my trusty .96 Gal mostly so I could get inkstrike and/or suction bombs.
I like that suction bombs can stick to the tower in a bunch of places.

The blaster seems really popular in this mode.

Snipers end up pissing me off on my own team, especially if there's more than one. They never want to get on the tower, and sometimes you really need them to.

The snipers that don't go on the tower are cowards who camp all day long. Some of them are actually pretty good, but still.

Seriously, if I can ride the tower as a Squiffer, there should be no reason Chargers have to fear the tower.

Sendou

The snipers that don't go on the tower are cowards who camp all day long. Some of them are actually pretty good, but still.

Seriously, if I can ride the tower as a Squiffer, there should be no reason Chargers have to fear the tower.

Feels good when you're on that tower and just blasting everyone away.

Fandangox

Honestly (if in control) I just find it a lot more useful to let the team carry the tower while I go around the map and hunt the other players.

I rarely go to the actual tower unless its very close to either base.

Wow, so this mode is crazy. You guys weren't kidding when you said it was stressful...but man is it worth it. Tower Control is a rush like no other.

At first, I was getting bodied. Huge losing streak, ranked down, and was on the verge of dipping back into B for the first time in like a week. I tried the tentatek, the .52 gal, the splatterscope. Nothing seemed to be working. Finally, I said fuck it and tried the Luna Blaster, and sure enough, I got a win, but then I went right back to losing and hating life.

I was this close to just saying fuck this mode, it's not for me, when things finally clicked. Splashomatic, sticky bombs, sticky bomb rush, and balls to the wall aggression is what finally won me the day. That and knowing when to ride the tower and when to stand your ground and fight. This mode is all about scrapping. I love it. Went on a tear across multiple lobbies. Blasters are day one tech, as far as I'm concerned. Just rush in and circle strafe 'till dead. They can stuff their fireworks until Saturday, lol.

Man... This game, you guys.

ryechu

6zn7x663r

This might be accurate but I sure as hell didn't deserve this.

RagnarokX

The stats should tally how long you stayed on the tower. I had a match where I rode the tower all the way to the goal less than a minute into battle where I managed to dodge a crazy number of suction bombs. I only got 2 kills and was ranked lowest on my team.

ryechu

The stats should tally how long you stayed on the tower. I had a match where I rode the tower all the way to the goal less than a minute into battle where I managed to dodge a crazy number of suction bombs. I only got 2 kills and was ranked lowest on my team.

Stats dont really mean anything, so I'd like them to keep it simple.

ryechu

I wish that there was cosmetic equip as well stat equip for clothes. Im sick of these dmg up clothes. I want to be a dapper school boy.

Sendou

I so need a CTF mode after trying Nintendo's take on payload. I'm really liking this new mode.

There's Rainmaker (already included on the disc but not unlocked yet. Maybe in a month or so?):

"In Rainmaker, both teams compete
to snag the Rainmaker. Once you've got it, the goal is to
carry it into the other team's base!

So as soon as the battle begins,
grab that Rainmaker!

It's guarded by a shield, though,
so you'll need to bust it out first.

Once you snag it, head for the other
team's base. And be quick about it!

If you run out of time or get splatted,
the Rainmaker will be dropped. Its shield will also reactivate.

The Rainmaker is crazy heavy, so you
can't Super Jump while carrying it. Your teammates will have to
watch your back!

The Rainmaker can also shoot ink like
an Inkzooka, so you can clear a path!

The closer you get to the enemy
base while holding the Rainmaker, the lower your goal distance will drop.

If the battle ends without anyone
carrying the Rainmaker to the goal, the team with the lowest
goal distance will win!"

ryechu

There's Rainmaker (already included on the disc but not unlocked yet. Maybe in a month or so?):

"In Rainmaker, both teams compete
to snag the Rainmaker. Once you've got it, the goal is to
carry it into the other team's base!

So as soon as the battle begins,
grab that Rainmaker!

It's guarded by a shield, though,
so you'll need to bust it out first.

Once you snag it, head for the other
team's base. And be quick about it!

If you run out of time or get splatted,
the Rainmaker will be dropped. Its shield will also reactivate.

The Rainmaker is crazy heavy, so you
can't Super Jump while carrying it. Your teammates will have to
watch your back!

The Rainmaker can also shoot ink like
an Inkzooka, so you can clear a path!

The closer you get to the enemy
base while holding the Rainmaker, the lower your goal distance will drop.

If the battle ends without anyone
carrying the Rainmaker to the goal, the team with the lowest
goal distance will win!"

I originally thought that this mode might be too similar to tower control, but after playing tower control its clear that itll be very different. Using the tower as a platform to get to unclimbable areas, as highground and as like a boat is pretty unique.

mo60

Salty.
I lost both tower control games I played.One knockout and one match were it was not a knockout. I have the same problem as you with this mode. The instant I get anywhere near the tower or try to go close to I get destroyed by a member of the enemy team.

I really don't care if Tower Control is Ranked-only but please don't tell me that it alternates every 4 hours between Splat Zones/TC like the maps. If true then this is fucking terrible...

ryechu

I really don't care if Tower Control is Ranked-only but please don't tell me that it alternates every 4 hours between Splat Zones/TC like the maps. If true then this is fucking terrible...

yep. But itll probably stay tower control until tomorrow 7pm PST.

Top Bottom