• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Fandangox

I really don't care if Tower Control is Ranked-only but please don't tell me that it alternates every 4 hours between Splat Zones/TC like the maps. If true then this is fucking terrible...

Well the first four hours were up and it was still Tower Control, but with different maps.
We still don't know how long mode rotations will be.

mo60

Well the first four hours were up and it was still Tower Control, but with different maps.

It's most likely either 12 hours or 24 hours for mode rotations.This may change after the first rotation.

Nico_D

Oh, and I'm really starting to like Tower Control. I hated it at first. But now I got a faint clue how it's supposed to be played.

Haven't had a chance to try Tower Control yet, how do short range weapons like the Inkbrush, Carbon, Dynamo or Luna fair on it? Feels like it's going to be dominated by mid-range weapons and bubblers.

It's most likely either 12 hours or 24 hours for mode rotations.This may change after the first rotation.

hqdefault.jpg

Robotguy

Over twice as many kills as the rest of my team combined with less than or equal the number of their deaths individually. Can't even carry these scrub lords.

On another note, the opposing team decided to have 3 of their guys on the tower and then activate bubbler over the water. Knocking them all off was fun.

Enjoying the game but the connectivity issues are preeetty maddening. This game and only this game will straight up knock out my Wii U's internet connection. Lose it completely. Need to restart the system for it to work again.

Violet_0

Banned
I've played some of my favorite ranked matches just now. My team's only strategy was to have all four of us superjump to the tower constantly, keep it pushed, die and repeat - and we somehow made it work. Getting close to A+ now

Saltspray and Underpass in ranked now
e: Saltspray still sucks

Ok just played 5 matches of Tower Control and it's great! Especially playing it on Arowana Mall!

But still...let me decide which mode I want to play. This is so fucking stupid...map rotation is already pretty bad but this is too much.

Snipers end up pissing me off on my own team, especially if there's more than one. They never want to get on the tower, and sometimes you really need them to.
I was just on the opposite end of that. I just played against 3 chargers and while they did a great job of defending and racked up plenty of splats, not once did any of them get on the tower and it was all on the one guy with a blaster. We won by a decent margin in the end. That got me up to B+ 96.

But on the next game, for the fourth time, I was within reach of A- but it wasn't to be. We made a good comeback push to put it in OT and got very close but then lost control of the tower.

Zemm

Ok just played 5 matches of Tower Control and it's great! Especially playing it on Arowana Mall!

But still...let me decide which mode I want to play. This is so fucking stupid...map rotation is already pretty bad but this is too much.

Whichever mode isn't in ranked should drop to unranked, so all modes are available at all times whilst ranked is focused on one mode. Right now it's just really dumb. Like yeah there is more content/modes but you're still limited to two at a time. I've never seen a game set so many arbitrary limitations on its playerbase before, it's definitely taking some time to come around to it, if I fully ever will.

noshten

Just played a few games on Tower Mode - it's hectic as hell, still working out the kinks.
The good thing is that I have just the hat I need for this mode

MlWA77vxA1M8fKtXLh

Whichever mode isn't in ranked should drop to unranked, so all modes are available at all times whilst ranked is focused on one mode. Right now it's just really dumb. Like yeah there is more content/modes but you're still limited to two at a time. I've never seen a game set so many arbitrary limitations on its playerbase before, it's definitely taking some time to come around to it, if I fully ever will.

Pretty sure it's like the maps - where they rotate them non stop the first day after release. I reckon there would simply be two options in ranked starting tomorrow.

Zemm

I'll give TC credit for making what used to be average gear actually useful. Makes me glad I bought the crappy items just for completions sake because they could be worth using now.

NotLiquid

Forge Splattershot Pro is garbage for this mode. Learned this the hard way.

Tower Control is super fun. Bit disappointed that it's mode rotation but I guess they don't want to segment the Ranked battles.

Whoever said that this is easy rank ups is a LIAR

Dryk

Tower Control seems to come down to time more often than Splat Zones, I like that

Tower Control is super fun. Bit disappointed that it's mode rotation but I guess they don't want to segment the Ranked battles.
Splatoon is basically "Don't Segment the Playerbase: The Game"

Ansatz

Yep I get splatted by someone swimming in the ink, then after I'm dead I see a Japanese dude pop up and shoot me.

Tower Control is an okay mode for fun but I still consider splat zones the only real competitive mode that favors skill.

Violet_0

Banned
I ain't siding with you dirty Blaster conformists

Rapid Blaster for life

*loses again*

I switched to Rapid Blaster and almost made it to A+, and my connection is freaking terrible especially against Japanese players. The Rapid Blaster is good for this mode - my job is to zone other blasters and rollers, recapture the tower and most importantly to push the tower with the mines and bubbler

Dryk

Does anyone else keep swimming under the tower when they mean to swim up it? That's going to take some getting used to

Jintor

yeah some weird shit happens when the tower drops on your head

i'm not sure i like saltspray or not for tower, it's cool that it refocuses the firefight on an oft-ignored part of the map but I don't know if I feel like the map is actually built for that firefight

NotLiquid

i'm not sure i like saltspray or not for tower, it's cool that it refocuses the firefight on an oft-ignored part of the map but I don't know if I feel like the map is actually built for that firefight

I agree. It's one of my favorites for Turf War but insofar it's been one of the more miserable experiences in TC. It's too easy to fall into the abyss.

Nico_D

Urchin Underpass is a bad level regardless of the mode. All others are good or excellent, Arowana Mall is terrific especially on Tower Control. I liked Saltspay too, it's devious.

Sendou

Urchin Underpass is a bad level regardless of the mode. All others are good or excellent, Arowana Mall is terrific especially on Tower Control. I liked Saltspay too, it's devious.

I actually like Underpass in the Tower mode. Less so in the Turf Wars. Got 17 kills in the last round. Blaster+Comeback+Stealth Jump+Defence build = lol

Dryk

I think the part where the tower is in the air and you can't get to it is very unique and interesting but I don't think I like it

Sendou

I think the part where the tower is in the air and you can't get to it is very unique and interesting but I don't think I like it

Pics or didn't happen. Because you can always climb the tower. Just not from every angle obviously.

Dryk

I mean the part where it's really hard to get to. When it goes over the edge the enemy team usually has control of the high ground and you can only get to it by going through them (only one side is accessible).

Crayolan

FUCK rollers in Tower Control. You can't hit them from behind that little post in the center but they can hit you.

Edit: wow managed to rank up to A pretty quickly.

Sendou

I mean the part where it's really hard to get to. When it goes over the edge the enemy team usually has control of the high ground and you can only get to it by going through them (only one side is accessible).

That's the point. It's supposed to be harder to hold closer to the enemy base.

Dryk

That's the point. It's supposed to be harder to hold closer to the enemy base.
I've found that it's easier to hold for a lot of the dive which is what I was trying to say. Underpass doesn't have a point that's that easy to hold that far into the enemy base.

That's just my experience so far though.

J@hranimo

Banned

I think I'm the only person at least on Gaf that likes Underpass for any mode. I guess I'm weird lol. What route did the tower go on Saltspray?

Not seeing many chargers used in tower control here in B-.

Since bombs are useful here and sprinklers are useless I finally decided to level up the goggles w/bomb range up use the Splash-O-Matic and get out of my .96 Gal comfort zone. I miss the power and range a little bit.

Enjoying the game but the connectivity issues are preeetty maddening. This game and only this game will straight up knock out my Wii U's internet connection. Lose it completely. Need to restart the system for it to work again.
I've heard the game is thirsty for the upload bandwidth.

nom

Whichever mode isn't in ranked should drop to unranked, so all modes are available at all times whilst ranked is focused on one mode.

This would be great. I would love to play all the modes without worrying about my rank bombing.

Top Bottom