• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Robotguy

Yeah Custom Blaster is extremely good from the couple of rounds I used it. But damn if it doesn't feel like both teams are just throwing themselves at each other until it swings one way or another. There's no tactics or strategy involved.

Yeah, hope the play evolves to the point where everyone isn't dying every ten seconds.

dickroach

I haven't played Splatoon online, but I was clicking around the webs and I saw this. Did Nintendo really add one mode and take away another? weird

I feel like the biggest problem with the blaster in tower defense, if you're shooting at the tower then someone should be shooting at you and that's what I wait for with blasters

Azure J

Things I learned in this mode:

Killer Wail DA GAWD
Kraken Squatters are fucking unfair trash
LOLNINJASQUID+SEEKERSISAMAZINGFORTEAMSUPPORT

jnWake

Carbon Roller is great for this mode. The Inkzooka is insane here haha, especially on Underpass. I got many triple kills with it.

Totakeke

I feel like the biggest problem with the blaster in tower defense, if you're shooting at the tower then someone should be shooting at you and that's what I wait for with blasters

Then someone is shooting at you who is shooting at the blaster who is shooting at the tower.

Then someone shoots that someone and then another person shoots that person then he gets shot by another person then maybe that last person gets shot by you.

repeat ad nauseam

massoluk

Banned
Overtime in this mode makes more fucking sense than Splatzon in Port Mackerel and Blackbelly.

Also one Charger + Killerwail is infinitely useful in this mode.

Zing

Banned
I haven't played Splatoon online, but I was clicking around the webs and I saw this. Did Nintendo really add one mode and take away another? weird
I feel bad that had to read that. That post is a reaction worthy of Fox News. No research, just unfounded rage.

I actually chuckled when I read it.

Geg

lol a few of the posts in the inkopolis plaza are complaining that tower control sucks. I wish you could respond to posts directly from the plaza so I could suggest getting good

Think I'll switch to Custom Dual Squelcher. Beacons can be massive in this and I haven't had many matches where may teammates are placing them. Plus I'm barely using splat bombs in this mode anyways.

Beakons definitely helped me in my first knockout win. In walleye warehouse we were moving into the enemy's territory and I hopped off the tower to place a beakon on the platform on the edge of their territory (the one snipers and other long range weapons like to shoot from, you know the one) and hopped back on. We were splatted before making it to the point so I immediately jumped back to the beakon, took back control, and rode it to victory. It seems when the tower is that close into enemy territory they're too preoccupied with taking it back than noticing beakons in their territory, though obviously it's not a foolproof plan.

Zing

Banned
Ok, here is the gear that I am testing for tower control. I call this the meat grinder outfit.

19317541276_c6f965e105_b.jpg

Comeback with two special saver
Quick jump with two special charge up
Quick respawn with two quick jump

Haha

Geg

Beacons help you win more, but hardly does anything when you're in defense.

I need to play other maps.

Yeah that was the problem with the game that I lost. Beakons were useless and once the enemy got full control of the center area it was difficult to place them again when we did regain control because the focus just goes to making it through alive

On the bright side there were points in my games where I noticed the beakons were gone but there was no enemy ink in the area meaning my teammates were actually using them!!

Azure J

kelp splatterscope is the dream in tower control

This thing is generating so much space control its disgusting. That said, .52 Gal Deco da real MVP so far. I can't see brush being really good in this mode besides being the Leeroy Jenkins and getting to it fast then swapping to another teammate while you assist from the ground, but that level of coordination is too much to ask from randoms.

Regiruler

Ok, here is the gear that I am testing for tower control. I call this the meat grinder outfit.

Haha
No third slot on the shirt and shoes? GTFO poor person

Totakeke

Chargers suck at Urchin Underpass Tower Control. Urchin Underpass yet again proves it's the shittiest map. Your team takes the tower and needs to go in the narrow path which completely blocks your shot which means you should take the side paths. Taking the left side path is completely pointless unless your team is already close to winning anyway because you don't have coverage to hit enemies that are fighting at the entrance which is the biggest barrier to go through in this map. Going through the right corridor path also sucks because you have narrow view, but at least you can actually help the tower go through. But most of those point is moot because often when you finally reach the other side of the flank, the tower is already at the entrance and it's a high possibility that the tower has already been taken and is moving back which means all your effort was pointless. Even if you manage to go through and kill some enemies and hold the base area, it's all pointless anyway because there's a possibility that without you and all your enemies jumping straight to the tower, they're on the way to winning and there's no point in holding the enemy base.

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, there's a point to getting your team ready before riding the ice cream truck, but at this point I don't see a point. Throw yourselves at the tower we shall.

Heng

Well yeah, bunnyhopping is good and continues your momentum -- I do it too. But your goal should be to get right on top (or below) of the blaster, and not to stay anywhere near the explosion.

I still love me my blaster, though. Of the three weapons I use, custom blaster is one of em.

I think it's OK (or meh) for turf wars, and great for the other two modes. And then probably amazing for tower control, but I need to play it more.
You could always do a jump back while firing. It's about knowing when to jump forward, backwards, or to the sides. Another tip is to not hold your trigger button because you'll sometimes get those guys who try to rush into you. With your skills with the scope charger, you could easily kill them as they try to come in.

I think the role of a blaster in turf war is controlling the map. It won't net you a lot of points, but you can kill as much people compared to chargers and not to mention you'll still likely to outscore a charger.

For bubblers, you could knock them off the tower, and the killer wail is really good at knocking off bubbler (and I think kraken? Haven't seen it myself). I've seen some great inkstrike timing and even killer wails. I haven't seen anyone use any sort of Bomb rush effectively but I'm sure it can be done.

Azure J

OK, so from my one attempt thus far, I can say that brushes have a place in this meta but you have to be fucking LEGIT 100% of the time. There's too much shit to react to and too much high power weaponry for gimmicks or for you to ever be the main person on the tower at all times. Your role is to get the team to the tower ASAP and then play a regular ass turf war with the addendum that you now have to push further into the base and make it hell for the other team to get through the flat grounds. Once the team is established on the tower and you're within 20 paces of the other team's base, you have to hang onto the sides of the tower and pop out frequently to draw enemy fire away from the tower.

I got so close despite being bodied by a roller/dynamo roller who figured me out in the last 10 seconds, but I like my chances over theirs on a rematch.

Grakl

Comeback seems good for tower control, but I've been using Tenacity with success. Teammates are dead so often.
You could always do a jump back while firing. It's about knowing when to jump forward, backwards, or to the sides. Another tip is to not hold your trigger button because you'll sometimes get those guys who try to rush into you. With your skills with the scope charger, you could easily kill them as they try to come in.

I think the role of a blaster in turf war is controlling the map. It won't net you a lot of points, but you can kill as much people compared to chargers and not to mention you'll still likely to outscore a charger.

For bubblers, you could knock them off the tower, and the killer wail is really good at knocking off bubbler (and I think kraken? Haven't seen it myself). I've seen some great inkstrike timing and even killer wails. I haven't seen anyone use any sort of Bomb rush effectively but I'm sure it can be done.
I'll try jumping backwards while shooting more. And I don't care about points too much, hah. I just want to win, and I'm typically a defensive player -- map control is everything.

And yah, I noticed while playing with Skies in ranked earlier that a shot with the blaster completely knocks bubblers off the tower. It's hilarious. Not sure about Kraken, since I saw that like once or twice and never really dealt with them

Robotguy

Haha

I have Comeback, Quick respawn and swim speed up as mains. Might switch swimspeed for quickjump depending on which helps me go fast more.
Subs: 2x quick jump, 1 special quick charge, 3 special saver, defense up, bomb distance up, ink saver sub.

Edit: I thought about running stealth jump, but I thought I wouldn't have enough safe jumping opportunities

I'm getting so tired of this matchmaking fuckery. Every time I have a hot streak going and have some success then suddenly I'm placed on a different team full of lower ranked aerosprays vs a balanced team full of higher ranked players.

Why does this game not want me to succeed?

Azure J

Tower Defense in terms of average deaths per round is absolutely brutal.

Had a match where I went 30-12. I didn't even know the numbers could be this high in a game of Splatoon.

I then switched to brush to test a theory and went 1-17. Yup.

Xeteh

So I finally got to play some Tower Control. It is pretty read but I don't trust my connection atm. Just had a Turf War round where a teammate disconnected right at the load in and we were making a game of it. Then I got a comm error with 1:30 left and around 850p. I'm really sad about that.

BTW really sorry to anyone who has sent a friend request lately. I'm not used to Nintendo's ui and since it never alerts me that someone sent a request I rarely check.

Violet_0

Banned
yo I recommend checking out the rapid blaster for tower control, you outrange the other blasters, you can take out opponents on the tower from a relatively safe distance, sub and special are both very useful and it's quite a bit faster at reclaiming territory. It's a pretty good counter to the blaster meta

I've been doing VERY well with the Squiffer and Vanilla Charger on Tower Control. Maybe it helps that I also abuse Bombs/Mines very hard, butI dunno. I was able to win most of the time, but I think my teammates were also fairly competent. It helps that I can get my Splat Bombs on the Tower almost consistently.

For Splash-o-Matic users, there was one dude who took control of the tower, used his special (Suction Bomb Rush), and spammed it at the center post while circling it on the Tower. I was WAAAY to close to the tower to shoot him or lob a bomb, but it looked effective.

Neoxon

I'm surprised that there's a ton of Rhythm Heaven fans in the Splatoon Community. My Chorus Kids drawing got 156 Yeahs.

Xeteh

yo I recommend checking out the rapid blaster for tower control, you outrange the other blasters, you can take out opponents on the tower from a relatively safe distance, sub and special are both very useful and it's quite a bit faster at reclaiming territory. It's a pretty good counter to the blaster meta

I'll try that next time. I was using the blaster with bubble. Felt like I had to get too close to the grenade spam. Right now I'm just playing turf though, just trying to level gear.

I'm surprised that there's a ton of Rhythm Heaven fans in the Splatoon Community. My Chorus Kids drawing got 156 Yeahs.

There is some Dota2/Rhythm Heaven crossover on YouTube with a ton of views and I had no idea that RH references would hit that many people.

Heng

I'll try jumping backwards while shooting more. And I don't care about points too much, hah. I just want to win, and I'm typically a defensive player -- map control is everything.
Yeah it's a different type of map control from the chargers. With chargers, people are scared to approach your post while blaster has to put the fear into players by killing them. You have to be very active and aggressive with blaster, and be as unpredictable as you can.

I've been doing VERY well with the Squiffer and Vanilla Charger on Tower Control. Maybe it helps that I also abuse Bombs/Mines very hard, butI dunno. I was able to win most of the time, but I think my teammates were also fairly competent. It helps that I can get my Splat Bombs on the Tower almost consistently.

For Splash-o-Matic users, there was one dude who took control of the tower, used his special (Suction Bomb Rush), and spammed it at the center post while circling it on the Tower. I was WAAAY to close to the tower to shoot him or lob a bomb, but it looked effective.
I tried using the splatter scope on my first 5 games of tower control. I went 3-2 but I was getting frustrated with how high the tower is and no one getting on the tower. I might try something with better subs than splat bombs.

Nico_D

So, Tower Control. Talking about strokes...

Went and lost my first 10 or so matches.

I think the point is not the tower but clearing the way for others to control the tower, preferably someone from my team but for now it seems I'm the one that's getting cleared out.

Neol

Just had two teammates backdooring the enemy base but didn't realize that there are 4 enemies on the tower point closing in to the designated winning square.

Ugh my blood pressure.

Otherwise fun and chaotic gamemode. I find the splash walls, when placed right, can be pretty goddamn useful at stalling at a point.

Chargers suck at Urchin Underpass Tower Control. Urchin Underpass yet again proves it's the shittiest map. Your team takes the tower and needs to go in the narrow path which completely blocks your shot which means you should take the side paths. Taking the left side path is completely pointless unless your team is already close to winning anyway because you don't have coverage to hit enemies that are fighting at the entrance which is the biggest barrier to go through in this map. Going through the right corridor path also sucks because you have narrow view, but at least you can actually help the tower go through. But most of those point is moot because often when you finally reach the other side of the flank, the tower is already at the entrance and it's a high possibility that the tower has already been taken and is moving back which means all your effort was pointless. Even if you manage to go through and kill some enemies and hold the base area, it's all pointless anyway because there's a possibility that without you and all your enemies jumping straight to the tower, they're on the way to winning and there's no point in holding the enemy base.

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, there's a point to getting your team ready before riding the ice cream truck, but at this point I don't see a point. Throw yourselves at the tower we shall.

Urchin Underpass almost always times out for me, but I can usually get my team the win. Whenever we take control of the Tower, I'm usually the one on it and sniping away as many enemies as I can. If someone gets too close, I usually leave a bomb, jump off, and swim towards my base for ink, then lob a bomb at the Tower again. Hopefully, the bombs splats them and my team can regain the Tower. If not, I swim up the small ramp from the middle and attempt sniping the enemies on the Tower. If THAT doesn't work, I superjump to the spawn and attempt to take 'em out from the high ground, but it usually never gets that far.

When I'm on the Tower and going towards their base, my job is to either snipe enemies or make Ink paths in order for them to have to work to regain that ground. I cover their ramp from the middle, and am usually contested near or on the ramp. If I have to jump off, I do so like I said above, no matter where I am. Once you get to the ramp, this is where you pray that your teammates can hold the Tower long enough for you to get into a less contested position to snipe ( or even bomb). Then you hope that your team can stay on long enough to get to the zone.

That said, Urchin Underpass is annoying in that it's almost always a time out.

I tried using the splatter scope on my first 5 games of tower control. I went 3-2 but I was getting frustrated with how high the tower is and no one getting on the tower. I might try something with better subs than splat bombs.

While I hate sharing my tricks since I'm only an average player without them or when people know about them, when throwing Splat Bombs, aim for the post. If you get the angle right, it'll stop the bomb from rolling off. At the same time, Suction Bombs are much easier to land on the Tower. But I like my Vanilla Charger, so there you go. =P

Hoo boy blasters are ridiculous in tower control.

Got over 20 splats in a bunch of matches, doesn't stop me from losing like 60% of those games though.

Zero²

These are the Miiverse posts in question.

MlWA77vse3gIzvg8eR
MlWA77vu6UMBUgM92A
Yeah I saw them too, love rhythm heaven~

Ok, some thoughts on using Inkbrush on Tower control:
I tried two different styles, first going aggressive and staying close to the tower, and second staying close to the enemy base, ink everything and stop them from reaching the tower (+getting a lot of surprise kills).
The first worked, with varying levels of success... Since I basically have no range and need to stay on one place, I got killed by almost every rapid fire weapon (specially lunas), and got killed a lot.
The second is what I found most interesting, inkbrushs are made for spreading ink really fast, so inking enemy territory is really easy. Plus I was absolutely raking in kills. The downside is that I cant do anything about people that superjump far away, and if my allies cant get the job done I'm going to be there sitting without doing much.

I think Inkbrush may be more of a support weapon (at least with the loadout we currently have) on this mode, you really need teammates that know what they are doing and are able to at least do a decent push which is hard to come by in lower ranks.
I'll keep trying new ideas when I get time again, GG everyone!

ryechu

ive been doing fine. Chargers are good regardless of map because they are one of the best defenders. They are also good support, and if you have control of the middle they can snipe from atop the tower. Near the end of the tracks though, it becomes difficult for snipers to stay safe on the tower so the side paths should be painted.

Have any of you tried throwing a sprinkler on the sides of the Tower or the side facing you? It seemed pretty effective for one guy on the other team in one of my games.

Top Bottom