• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Anyone know what the massive update is?

Is it just new maps, new characters? Or are we talking about new modes here, since the only reason I don't own Splatoon yet is because of its lackluster local co-op feature set.

NotLiquid

Anyone know what the massive update is?

Is it just new maps, new characters? Or are we talking about new modes here, since the only reason I don't own Splatoon yet is because of its lackluster local co-op feature set.

Right now all we know is that the August update will provide new matchmaking options, two of which will be playing with four friends against another team of four friends, and another being able to play with eight of your friends in a lobby with custom rulesets.

jariw

Urchin Underpass is a bad level regardless of the mode. All others are good or excellent, Arowana Mall is terrific especially on Tower Control. I liked Saltspay too, it's devious.

Urchin Underpass isn't even remotely similar in Tower Control compared to the other modes, with the added passages for traversal in TC. But very few players seem to even be aware of the changes to the different stages, since they only rush along the tower path.

Personally, I think it's a great stage regardless of mode so far, for my playing style/weapons/gear.

Darn, my programming teacher isn't being able to connect to the internet at all to play Splatoon, so I can't play with him, lmao. My internet is bad for Splatoon but not even being able to play?

He says he can still update games and browse the net and the e-Shop, so it's not like his doesn't work either, just for the games. He may try an adapter or something, but bummer still. Every day with Splatoon without online is a day wasted.
lmao

(Which maps are on right now?)

Nico_D

But very few players seem to even be aware of the changes to the different stages, since they only rush along the tower path.

Oh? What are the changes? I've been too busy to notice anything new.

I managed to win about 5-6 matches. Well, there were some others too but mainly it was me. On Underpass too. It didn't make it any better, on some instances the tower can come between the camera and the player which makes hitting anyone a bit more challenging.

Crayolan

Wow people group together so much in this mode fast fire weapons can clear groups of 2-4 really easily. I've gotten quad splats like twice in the same game.

Also Urchin Underpass isn't anywhere near as awful in this mode as it is in the others. So that's something.

Darn, my programming teacher isn't being able to connect to the internet at all to play Splatoon, so I can't play with him, lmao. My internet is bad for Splatoon but not even being able to play?

He says he can still update games and browse the net and the e-Shop, so it's not like his doesn't work either, just for the games. He may try an adapter or something, but bummer still. Every day with Splatoon without online is a day wasted.
lmao

(Which maps are on right now?)

Underpass and Rig in ranked. Dunno about regular.

J@hranimo

Banned
It's a quite short route. Starts from the top middle and goes down where the elevators are and ends up beside the long walkway. It ends really fast, there's no time for big mistakes.

Oh! Ok that's a bit surprising. I guess I expected something a bit more elaborate, but this is fine. Keeps the pace of the game going.

correojon

Well the first four hours were up and it was still Tower Control, but with different maps.
We still don't know how long mode rotations will be.

Maybe they´ll leave it on for 24 hours as they do when a new map is released, so that everyone can try it and then start with the rotations.

I don´t know how I feel about this sharing time with Splat Zones... on one side it´s good because it doesn´t divide the community and you´ll always find matches, but on the other you can´t choose which mode you want to play.

jariw

Oh? What are the changes? I've been too busy to notice anything new.

I managed to win about 5-6 matches. Well, there were some others too but mainly it was me. On Underpass too. It didn't make it any better, on some instances the tower can come between the camera and the player which makes hitting anyone a bit more challenging.

On Urchin Underpass, when the tower moves from the middle section and into the enemy area, you now have 3 ways to get in to that area instead of 2. The new passage to the left leads right to the end point for the tower, and by taking that route you can get the enemy behind their back.

Nico_D

On Urchin Underpass, when the tower moves from the middle section and into the enemy area, you now have 3 ways to get in to that area instead of 2. The new passage to the left leads right to the end point for the tower, and by taking that route you can get the enemy behind their back.

The wall that's normally unpaintable? Cool, thanks.

Jonke

Neo Member
If the August update let you select mode/map in friends lobby it would solve most of those issues tbh. We don't know the longevity of Splatoon's playerbase, so it might be for the better if the matchmaking isn't too fragmented.

--

I've yet to try Tower Control, but it sounds better than Splat Zones from the impressions so far.

phanphare

Banned
If the August update let you select mode/map in friends lobby it would solve most of those issues tbh. We don't know the longevity of Splatoon's playerbase, so it might be for the better if the matchmaking isn't too fragmented.

--

I've yet to try Tower Control, but it sounds better than Splat Zones from the impressions so far.

agreed, just kind of a bummer for now. all of these modes are unique enough to exist alongside each other and I really like splat zones and tower control.

Crayolan

A+ get.

I think my shining moment so far is getting killed by a team which bubbled on the tower TWICE in a row and then coming back and killing them all 2 seconds before they surpassed us.

Rize_21

Well okay, now that's not the first that it happens, what's up with the bounce effect when someone is too close with the roller, that's some invincibility magic right there, and it's not the carbon one...

Also as a Kraken, it's so good to just chill for like 8 seconds on the tower, while the opponents are hoping for you to fall, don't stop believing kids/squids.
Splat zones will feel dull once it'll be up again.

e: at the moment i'm using these main skills for tower mode : quick respawn, quick respawn, and stealth jump, that's my " I'll catch more than a grenade for ya" set.

Forkball

So Splat Tower...

mad-max-gif.gif

I lost a match with only "1" on the counter. And then the tower managed to slip by THREE of my teammates on the way to their victory. I NEEDED THAT 2100 GOLD.

Awesome mode otherwise.

So before I give this splat tower business a whirl, how shitty is the ink brush going to be for it or am I actually going to be pleasantly surprised?

noshten

Can't you shoot him off?

Krakens cannot be pushed back - hence it's pretty good skill for Tower Control. I tried it a couple of times as we were loosing control and those seconds on top of the Tower insured our wins.

It's a bit harder to build up the Special in Tower Mode thought.

So before I give this splat tower business a whirl, how shitty is the ink brush going to be for it or am I actually going to be pleasantly surprised?

I don't think it would be very good on this mode, but I guess gaining the middle first might be decent. Sadly because the game is not organized your team might not follow you - so a CMON might be a good option when rushing to the middle.

Geg

Man Urchin Underpass is the perfect stage for Splat Zones what are yall talking about. I liked it in Tower Control too

It's annoying for turf wars though yeah.

JavyOO7

Enjoying the game but the connectivity issues are preeetty maddening. This game and only this game will straight up knock out my Wii U's internet connection. Lose it completely. Need to restart the system for it to work again.

Yeah, I still get the 'No Wi-Fi signal present' error. I got it yesterday played my ranked match. Only way to fix it is as you said, restarting the Wii U. And only game it happens on too. I play MK8 and I never get errors like that.

And day before Tower Control, the opposite team of mine would all disconnect... really do hope that Nintendo will get a handle on this stuff during Splatfest. Because I dunno man...

I don't think it would be very good on this mode, but I guess gaining the middle first might be decent. Sadly because the game is not organized your team might not follow you - so a CMON might be a good option when rushing to the middle.
I was thinking that would probably be the case, might be best I try starting off with a safer weapon choice lest I be dead weight.

backlot

I played a few hours of Tower Control last night and I'm amazed at how much different the metagame was compared to the other modes. Stealth Jump, Ninja Squid and Echolocator all seem a lot less useful as people generally just opt to pile directly onto the tower. I need to grind up a completely different set of gear just for this mode.

R.D.Blax

What the heck; I fight tooth and nail to retake the tower, managing to take all the other team with me, and nobody is here to take over...

Naar

When do we get to play turf wars again? Cuz now its only tower control (not that i dont like it, i think its awesome)

NotLiquid

I think what makes Tower Control so much more intense is that you can't ever settle for comfort. Much like Splat Zones there's always room for a last minute comeback but I think the difference here is that the closer you settle for a comforting routine in being close to winning, the higher of a chance there is that you'll be screwed over as you move closer to enemy territory.

It's especially easy for the entire team to be screwed over by a well placed blaster, bomb or Killer Wail, particularly if they're huddled up into the tower defense position, and if that's the case, good luck fending off the run back. I have never seen so many consistent rounds where four players area instantly taken out.

Choke points in particular are devastating in this mode which is kind of why Urchin Underpass is a bit of a tricky map to deal with. There was one round where an enemy figured out that they could camp on top of the dispenser that's in the corner of each choke point exit. This guy had a Dynamo Roller too, and every time we got our tower through the walkway we'd get annihilated on exit. Granted, I eventually managed to flank him through the alternate pathway but that's still a risky concession to make considering it cost us a lot of squids and time.

Zing

Banned
They should have better rule explanations. They dont say in turf wars that walls dont count..
The text uses the word "ground" twice in the explanation. Unless you think walls are "ground", it is explained fairly enough. I haven't seen anyone ink walls since the first day.

OryoN

The concept it fun, and it's nice having something to dabble in after a prolong session of turf wars/splat zones. I personally found it a bit too chaotic, whereas I find Splat Zones simply intense. Unlike SZ where you could - at times - carry your team, I felt like I had much less control over the outcome in Tower Control, due to how chaotic it can get, and how often the tower has to be abandoned. That's if you're looking for a complete knockout victory though. If you are comfortable with a normal win, you should be able to sense how much you contributed in preventing the enemy from advancing, or in getting the tower closest to goal. TC requires a higher degree of teamwork to get the most enjoyment out of it, compared to the other modes, IMO.

That's my current assessment, but that's based only on one map I played lastnight - Warehouse. It should be a lot more interesting with more complex maps. For me, Splat Zones is the best mode - so far - hands down. Still though, what I'm loving about Splatoon is how varied opinions are on everything. Whether the discussion is about maps, weapons, gear/perks, and now modes, it seems like there's something for everyone to enjoy/favor. There's no overwhelming "only this" answer, and that's a testament to how well designed and balance this game is. I hope it stays this way throughout all these updates.

backlot

What weapons have you all been using in Tower Control? I've found splat roller to be pretty good. Suction Bombs and Killer Wail seems like one of the best sub/special combos you can get in this mode.

Nico_D

What do you know, I bounced back. Got pushed down to C+ this morning while learning TC, now I'm back on B. Had a winning streak of about 10 or so matches.

Still going with Dual Squalcher with beakons and The Wail.

I used the extra block on Underpass but couldn't see the advantage of it - at least not yet anyway. If the others lose the Tower control while I'm there, I can't be of any help. And the real bottle neck is right on entrance to the base, as probably everybody knows. If I could get there before the tower arrives to the ambush zone, maybe then.

jariw

I think what makes Tower Control so much more intense is that you can't ever settle for comfort. Much like Splat Zones there's always room for a last minute comeback but I think the difference here is that the closer you settle for a comforting routine in being close to winning, the higher of a chance there is that you'll be screwed over as you move closer to enemy territory.

It's especially easy for the entire team to be screwed over by a well placed blaster, bomb or Killer Wail, particularly if they're huddled up into the tower defense position, and if that's the case, good luck fending off the run back. I have never seen so many consistent rounds where four players area instantly taken out.

Choke points in particular are devastating in this mode which is kind of why Urchin Underpass is a bit of a tricky map to deal with. There was one round where an enemy figured out that they could camp on top of the dispenser that's in the corner of each choke point exit. This guy had a Dynamo Roller too, and every time we got our tower through the walkway we'd get annihilated on exit. Granted, I eventually managed to flank him through the alternate pathway but that's still a risky concession to make considering it cost us a lot of squids and time.

The high-position campers can be cleared by taking the new entrance to the enemy area on the left side. At the moment, very few seem to expect attacking enemies approaching from that direction. It'll probably change when players get familiar with the stage changes made for Tower Control.

black_clavus

Neo Member
Tower control is great & intense af.. really loved that. In this mode I just got like 22 kills, crazy... and somehow after that I played better in turf as well.

Hope for tomorrow I could do better than today #TeamCat

Geg

So which do you guys think is better, generally having one person on the tower or two? I felt like being able to defend multiple angles from the tower gave us an advantage but it leaves the guys on the ground working overtime to clear where the guys on the tower can't reach

Rize_21

What weapons have you all been using in Tower Control? I've found splat roller to be pretty good. Suction Bombs and Killer Wail seems like one of the best sub/special combos you can get in this mode.

I'd roll with the same weapon if more people tried to move the tower, I like to go with the krak-on roller because it makes the chokepoints less dangerous, and I install almost all the beakons on the tower too,it's too common to see my team, when it's not both, all splatted with the tower going back to its initial position.

noshten

The thing about Tower Control is that the Tower moves faster if you have more people on it. So a team wipe can be devastating.

Like I said I prefer SplatZones because it's not as hectic and I prefer to be a bit sneaky when playing as opposed to having constant action.

- Mains that seem good for the majority of maps Inkzooka/Kraken/Killer Wail/Bomb Rush
- Bubbler might be a bad option on maps where you can get knocked off the map.
- Mains that seem awful for this mode are Echolocation/Inkstrike - mainly because the mode is so hectic that other main abilities seem just better. Inkstrike is just too slow to catch anyone offguard while Echolocation while 4 people are grouped together isn't going to make a major difference.

- Subs that seem awesome in most situation are Beacons/SuctionBombs/Disruptors/SplatBombs
- Subs that might be good on certain maps would be Burst Bombs since on certain maps they can knock you off the map
- Subs that appear to be useless are Seekers/Point Sensors/Sprinklers
- Ink Walls are situational from the look of things
- Mines might be awesome since you know exactly which path most of the enemies will take

- In terms of gear Ninja Squid, Ninja Jump, Cold Blooded are not the best options for this mode since there is no point to be coy in this mode.
I haven't dabbled too much in other abilities like Recon, Opening Gambit, Last-Ditch Effort and Bomb Sniffer

Crayolan

If the enemy team has a sniper in saltspray rig and your team doesn't it's basically a guaranteed loss. They really should've added a path into the enemy spawn.

I played a few hours of Tower Control last night and I'm amazed at how much different the metagame was compared to the other modes. Stealth Jump, Ninja Squid and Echolocator all seem a lot less useful as people generally just opt to pile directly onto the tower. I need to grind up a completely different set of gear just for this mode.

Stealth Jump is crazy strong in this mode.

Top Bottom