• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Does anyone have the link on what clothing is more likely to roll what sub abilities?

Edit: nvm found it through lord and savior google

Ozium

We'll just need to win by more than 2% then.

still wouldn't have "won" by the splatoon devs idiotic explanation of winning.

hopefully at the next world cup the finals will be Japan vs Germany.

The score of the game will be Japan 2 - 1 Germany, but Germany will be declared the winners because more people chose them to win.

Doorman

and then realizing that this doesn't actually matter because the most popularly picked side will win regardless of doing your best

doing your best = less rewarding than picking the correct side = no reason to do your best because IT. DOESN'T. FUCKING. MATTER.
If you are honestly, seriously still this upset over the results of a splatfest, then don't play. The salt is fun at times but take a breath, holy shit.

None of this matters.
We gettin' deep now.

Ozium

If you are honestly, seriously still this upset over the results of a splatfest, then don't play. The salt is fun at times but take a breath, holy shit.

We gettin' deep now.

Yeah I don't like being told that my efforts to play my best and try to win counts for absolutely nothing.. I'm so fucking absurd!

Azure J

still wouldn't have "won" by the splatoon devs idiotic explanation of winning.

hopefully at the next world cup the finals will be Japan vs Germany.

The score of the game will be Japan 2 - 1 Germany, but Germany will be declared the winners because more people chose them to win.

lmao

noshten

God I'm not good enough with a charger for a GAF room.

Just going to keep working on my charger with randoms who walk in a straight line.

Are people really still salty that dogs won?? Jeez

Also roller-coasters are so much better, that adrenaline you get is something waterslides cannot replicate

#Teamrollercoaster

Doorman

Yeah I don't like being told that my efforts to play my best and try to win counts for absolutely nothing.. I'm so fucking absurd!

Does that mean that you react in this exact same way after literally every game you play if you happen to lose? Or was splatfest the only time that you actually wanted to play your best? Were you not satisfied when you were in a match and won, whether against Team Dog or even against another Cat team even though that result doesn't count towards the win percentages? Did you not still use the snails you did receive by participating in the fest in the first place? Have you not used any of the money accrued during those matches?

I'm sorry that you lost out on a whopping four snails, bro, but saying that your efforts were for absolutely nothing is basically discounting the actual process of playing the game, and at that point, as I said, maybe you'd be happier in life finding something else to do with your time.

Ozium

Does that mean that you react in this exact same way after literally every game you play if you happen to lose? Or was splatfest the only time that you actually wanted to play your best? Were you not satisfied when you were in a match and won, whether against Team Dog or even against another Cat team even though that result doesn't count towards the win percentages? Did you not still use the snails you did receive by participating in the fest in the first place? Have you not used any of the money accrued during those matches?

I'm sorry that you lost out on a whopping four snails, bro, but saying that your efforts were for absolutely nothing is basically discounting the actual process of playing the game, and at that point, as I said, maybe you'd be happier in life finding something else to do with your time.

when my team actually won the most matches and then we are told that the actual game doesn't matter and it's all decided by who you happened to pick? yes, unfairness in competition makes me mad.

what exactly is your point? that the fun is in the game? wow what a revelation man, you must be the reincarnation of aristotle or plato.

how fucking silly and immature of me to think that a COMPETITION based around playing a game should be focused on playing the actual game and not having to pick the 'correct' side to determine if you are a winner.

Maybe in Ranked mode they can change it so that if your team wins you don't rank up, but if your team loses you do rank up... I'm sure no one would care because the fun is in the game right?

jwillenn

agreed. I think custom loadouts could potentially break the balance of the game. aka inkstrike with fucking everything lol.

For Splatoon 2, perhaps they could just give all players an amount of "points" to spend as they customize everything (from weapons and their stats to abilities and their levels to slot extensions).

Take any set that exists in Splatoon (including the unique ability sets) and imagine that all players took their 1,000 or so points to get to the sets they are using. Understand that anytime you begin customizing your load out, you have 1,000. You can always start over or create new ones so it's not like players are asked to earn these points. Funny how my best example of this is 1943 (surely a zillion games have come along to do this since then, but yeah... first game that came to mind). So while there would have to be a great deal of balancing behind the scene, players would be able to feel like they can do a lot of balancing of their own.

Then bigger and crazier new abilities come out in August. Players now have access to 10,000. You can go with most or all new stuff that is way more expensive (from the new weapons to the new ability types), or you can go berserk with boosting even further under the older categories.

Start 10,000pts

Main Weapon
-____pts
Range
-____pts
Power
-____pts
Ink Consumption
-____pts
Refill Rate
-____pts
Fire Rate
-____pts
etc.

And with stuff like that, you're sort of increasing a meter. So each time you add a -, pts are deducted.

Sub
-____pts
???
-____pts
???
-____pts
and so on!

Special
-____pts
???
-____pts
???
-____pts
and so on!

Abilities
-____pts
???
-____pts
???
-____pts
and so on!

Add Slot
-____pts

Finish 25pts

Save

Players wouldn't spend to unlock the weapons. They'd just be available.

I'm hoping for a much bigger soundtrack out of Splatoon 2. Players can spend coins to unlock music. Spend to unlock lots of other cool things. For example, I'd like there to be a huge over world. Maybe you can spend for something that lets you pinpoint the location of your Miiverse graffiti. They could go crazy with things like that for unlocks that require coins from battling. You could spend coins on the ability to save replays. Spend for the tailoring mode. So yeah, the game's myriad of features would open up from spending hard earned money. This is not to be confused with using points that can always be reset in customizing load outs.

DaBoss

I think the way they handled loadouts in Splatoon is perfect. Abilities on the other hand leave a lot to be desired, especially when there is also a cosmetic focus.

Azure J

I think the way they handled loadouts in Splatoon is perfect. Abilities on the other hand leave a lot to be desired, especially when there is also a cosmetic focus.

Yeah, for something so immensely customizable, it kinda sucks knowing entire types of looks are gone/off limits if you want to play a specific style in game. I guess that fosters a sense of experimentation to try different things (and thus keep your bitchin' threads) but I'd prefer a divorce of style and function sooner rather than later,

Also Inkbrush with Burst Bombs and Bubbler. Nintendo pls.

RedFyn

Made it to A+. Had to carry my team to do it but that just makes the victory even sweeter.

Tower control on park is a ton of fun.

Robotguy

Yeah, the clothing should be purely cosmetic, and you should be able to equip the ability sets you want to them.

Wait, you got 18 snails for being on the losing team of the last Splatfest? If I play just a game or two this next one will I automatically get a bunch of snails?

I was super pumped for the original Splatfest but was pretty bummed when it was rescheduled on a holiday. Aint nobody got time for that

Crisium

Does all Roller Ink do the same damage? I don't mean based on distance forward from the roller, but the spray horizontal from the center, i.e. is aim important?

Geg

Wait, you got 18 snails for being on the losing team of the last Splatfest? If I play just a game or two this next one will I automatically get a bunch of snails?

I was super pumped for the original Splatfest but was pretty bummed when it was rescheduled on a holiday. Aint nobody got time for that
No, only the highest of the five ranks on the losing team will get 18. I think being on the lowest rank of the losing team will only get you 2

@jwillenn: I don't know. I think at that point we get Pokemon levels of points optimization, and I don't know if that's really useful for Splatoon. It adds complexity, because there are now more individual details to adjust, but that might not be meaningful complexity if folks find the best distribution of points per weapon and everyone follows that meta anyway.

Does anyone have the link on what clothing is more likely to roll what sub abilities?
Try this!

http://squidboards.com/guides/gear-ability-quick-reference-guide-v0-2-image-heavy.55/

For brands with no influence each of the 13 abilities has an equal chance of almost 8%.
For brands that have some influence, the common ability has around 30% chance of appearing, while the rare ability has only around 3% chance, and the remaining 11 abilities will have around 6% each.

Or this!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/71923500/822570720

neetloaf said:
The brands affect the chances of getting certain secondary abilities when you level your gear up. Most brand have one common ability (which is an ability that is five times more likely to appear), and an uncommon ability (which is an ability that has only half the chance to appear).

Amiibo, Cuttlegear, and KOG brands don't affect secondary abilities in any way.

Firefin - 5x chance for Ink Saver (Sub), 1/2 chance for Ink Recovery Sub
Forge - 5x chance for Special Duration Up, 1/2 chance for Ink Saver (Sub)
Inkline - 5x Defense Up, 1/2 Damage Up
Krak-On - 5x Swim Speed Up, 1/2 Defense Up
Rockenberg - 5x Run Speed Up, 1/2 Swim Speed Up
Skalop - 5x Quick Respawn, 1/2 Special Saver
Splash Mob - 5x Ink Saver (Main), 1/2 Run Speed Up
Squidforce - 5x Damage Up, 1/2 Ink Saver Main
Takoroka - 5x Special Charge Up, 1/2 Special Duration Up
Tentatek - 5x Ink Recovery Up, 1/2 Quick Super Jump
Zekko - 5x Special Saver, 1/2 Special Charge Up
Zink - 5x Quick Super Jump, 1/2 Quick Respawn

All info from the strategy guide.

You still need to up your Splatfest rank in order to get super sea snails. In each Splatfest game you play, you get 1 point if you get less than 400 points, 2 points if get 400 or more points, and an additional 3 points if you win. More details found here:

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Splatfest#Reward_Tiers

Robotguy

Does all Roller Ink do the same damage? I don't mean based on distance forward from the roller, but the spray horizontal from the center, i.e. is aim important?
I've only tested with the dynamo, but the lateral variation in damage appears change semi randomly between shots with no real trend based on distance from center that I could observe. Though it is possible that some degree of variation was introduced as I wasn't necessarily holding the gamepad perfectly steady, but I tried keep it in the same position as best I could.
Edit: It was also a challenge to align myself such that the targets were and equal longitudinal distance from myself, so this may have also contributed some error.

RedFyn

Yes, contrary to daboss's opinion (I'm assuming it's a fairly popular one) you do have to aim.

@jwillenn: I don't know. I think at that point we get Pokemon levels of points optimization, and I don't know if that's really useful for Splatoon. It adds complexity, because there are now more individual details to adjust, but that might not be meaningful complexity if folks find the best distribution of points per weapon and everyone follows that meta anyway.

Try this!

http://squidboards.com/guides/gear-ability-quick-reference-guide-v0-2-image-heavy.55/

Or this!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/71923500/822570720

You still need to up your Splatfest rank in order to get super sea snails. In each Splatfest game you play, you get 1 point if you get less than 400 points, 2 points if get 400 or more points, and an additional 3 points if you win. More details found here:

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Splatfest#Reward_Tiers

DaBoss

Yes, contrary to daboss's opinion (I'm assuming it's a fairly popular one) you do have to aim.
I never said that or meant that. I was saying aiming is very lenient for roller. You cover a wide area that can cause damage and possible OHKO while every other weapon other than the Blasters require you to aim exactly at the opponent (ignoring arcing shots which the rollers also have). The difficulty with it comes from getting close to the opponent to get a OHKO.

SzrjG2w.jpg

whoo.png
Not bad for a fucking scrub.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Guys make sure to jump off the tower on tower control when you're right at the end. make sure to do that. you need all those kills!

Doorman

what exactly is your point? that the fun is in the game? wow what a revelation man, you must be the reincarnation of aristotle or plato.
I guess my point is that you're ultimately getting this far worked up over 4 super sea snails. Cats won more matches, they publicly acknowledged as much, you can still feel free to be prideful in that if you want to. It's not like it was some big secret that popularity played into Splatfest scores, and winning counts as well. Perhaps not to the extent that you'd prefer, and on that count I'd say I probably agree with you actually, but win or lose, it's long since been over and the only functional difference, again, is 4 snails.

Sometimes in a ranked game you're paired with teammates who don't know what they're doing, and even if you're technically the best player in the game, your team loses, and you can lose ranking points for that, so yes there are already comparable scenarios elsewhere in the game, even though I view the snails as more of an added benefit for both teams.

For Splatoon 2, perhaps they could just give all players an amount of "points" to spend as they customize everything (from weapons and their stats to abilities and their levels to slot extensions).

It's a neat idea, but aside from that just getting complex on a level that Nintendo probably wouldn't want to confuse what they seem to be treating as a very "shooter-inexperienced" player base, trying to figure out how to weigh each value you're throwing in here would be incredibly tough to work out. The set loadouts work because each one already kind of has its own core concept already set up from the get-go, and you can tweak it from there in varying degrees using gear abilities. As far as that stuff goes, I'd mostly just want a way to divorce abilities from aesthetics. Maybe let clothes be clothes but go with something smaller, like pins/badges/patches/rings and other such accessories to give different skills? That way it still has a visible change too but you'd have much more control over your inkling's style.

Crisium

Azure do you ever do Ninja + Stealth Brush? It's the only weapon I use either of those for these days, but it suits me well to be an assassin.

I can't believe this. Can you fucking believe this?!? Tower control I go around getting quadra kills every where with Luna blaster always dieing at the last guy as well, I look at my gamepad and all my teammates completely ignoring the tower, I mean none of them wanted to get on, unbelievable. Like they had some phobia towards the tower.

Geg

I can't believe this. Can you fucking believe this?!? Tower control I go around getting quadra kills every where with Luna blaster always dieing at the last guy as well, I look at my gamepad and all my teammates completely ignoring the tower, I mean none of them wanted to get on, unbelievable. Like they had some phobia towards the tower.

I remember my first ever game of tower control I expected to never get on it, like hey I use a weapon that's mainly used for support so I'll just support the guy on the tower. That plan lasted for about a minute before I learned that sometimes you just have to get on the fucking tower

Hackworth

They're scared of ice cream trucks, obviously.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm always pillar humping on the tower and scoring that slam dunk. I've got enough experience playing WoW arena that the pillar is my zone.

I don't like supers in tower control at all.

Ozium

I guess my point is that you're ultimately getting this far worked up over 4 super sea snails. Cats won more matches, they publicly acknowledged as much, you can still feel free to be prideful in that if you want to. It's not like it was some big secret that popularity played into Splatfest scores, and winning counts as well. Perhaps not to the extent that you'd prefer, and on that count I'd say I probably agree with you actually, but win or lose, it's long since been over and the only functional difference, again, is 4 snails.

only on the internet can we find people that don't understand "principles" and reduce everything down to "you are angry about not getting X"

no I am angry because it is straight up bullshit and doesn't reward people for doing their best, but rather rewards them if they side with the popular vote... why even battle then? it clearly doesn't matter. should just be everybody votes 2

Azure J

Helps jump in anywhere. Since you can run on enemy ink I think it's best with Brush.

Oh Ninja Jump? I dunno. I prefer Ink Resist since I'm always headed into enemy territory and want to break lines with the brush. That said, of course I go to my Ninja build and some dork is running Echolocator...

Top Bottom