• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Ozium

oh great another splatfest time to analyze what I think the majority of people will pick and then pick that because as we know skill and battle doesn't mean jack shit in this casual game of 'wow you pressed the correct button here are your winnings'

ViviOggi

oh great another splatfest time to analyze what I think the majority of people will pick and then pick that because as we know skill and battle doesn't mean jack shit in this casual game of 'wow you pressed the correct button here are your winnings'

salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif
salty.gif

Grakl

This game is basically "press shoot to win" ugh

Doorman

I think all the time I've been putting in with the Nozzlenose and its disruptor spam might be subtly transforming me into a halfway decent Blaster player. At least, I'm doing a hell of a lot better with it than I used to in random rooms.

God why can't you set loadouts with so much goddamn gear they throw at you
Such a simple feature and I really hope that they implement it in future iterations of the series. You can even get away with calling them "outfits" instead of loadouts to keep the casual flair. In fact I'd love to get a customizable inkling dorm room in a future sequel, unlock knick-knacks and wall-art to decorate it with, access your closet to change gear, TV and game system for the mini-games, etc. Just to add a little more thematic grounding and world-consistency compared to the "floating in space" equip screen we have now.

So much salt from this post I don't even need to season my dinner!

tariniel

I don't really like the choice of no friends in splatfest. I get it for ranked kind of, but if we picked the same team in splatfest, then it makes no sense we cant play together.

My friend and I were so hype to play it, realized we couldn't play in the same game, and turned the game off to wait for midnight so we can actually play together.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you're seen away from a certain vicinity of the tower and spraying so much ink during a Tower Control match they should just kick you out of the match until you watch a video on what Tower Control is

ViviOggi

Such a simple feature and I really hope that they implement it in future iterations of the series. You can even get away with calling them "outfits" instead of loadouts to keep the casual flair. In fact I'd love to get a customizable inkling dorm room in a future sequel, unlock knick-knacks and wall-art to decorate it with, access your closet to change gear, TV and game system for the mini-games, etc. Just to add a little more thematic grounding and world-consistency compared to the "floating in space" equip screen we have now.

I can dig it

Regiruler

Roller coasters are an infinitely better ride

I haven't been on any waterslide with half the quality of some of the best coasters I've been on, not to mention the stairs up are more dirty since you have to be barefoot

Geg

I loved water slides as a kid so I'll probably go with that.

But on the other hand, it's on the right side meaning that'll be Marie's team instead of Callie's.

Decisions decisions...

This is something I also see being stacked heavily in favor of roller coasters lol

Waterslides!

You guys giving my squid self esteem issues lol

I'll look into it. Hopefully they are in my store today
In case you don't have Splatoon and a Wii U on hand to check, someone on squidboards set up a gear guide which is fairly comprehensive:

http://squidboards.com/guides/gear-ability-quick-reference-guide-v0-2-image-heavy.55/

It looks like the Studio Headphones that Violet is referring to is under the "Ink Saver (Main)" section and branded by Forge (bias towards Special Duration Up).

PS: Krak-On, Rockenberg and Takoroka are best brands ;P

Does damage up benefits non-charger weapons?
Technically every weapon benefits from Damage Up, but Chargers benefit the most.

It's true that most weapons are capped to a certain max damage per shot so that they always have an expected number of hits to splat. You'll never see an improvement for splatting a full HP squid on neutral or favored ground, but the damage buff gives you more opportunities to guarantee splats otherwise. If that's not what you're going for with non-Charger weapons, then you probably don't need Damage Up.

I know the bomb is part of your strategy and it was giving me hell as jet squelcher. Didn't realize you messed it up that time I was too focused I guess.

But under further consideration I'm not sure you can range me out as Jet Squelcher, though that kind of depends on how accurate my memory of you bomb positions is, and on how close you were throwing to your max range. Per my memory you were always short of the bump in my doorway. Now I know I can shoot the opponents bump from the little ramps in the center, so the opposite should be true. Though even if that's true it don't know that I'd be able to land enough hits on you between the time you come into range and the time you get to the safety of the ditch.
I don't think the Jet Squelcher can pump out ink fast enough to make a useful road under that time constraint. I'm pretty sure you can get to your ramp by the time Red gets to the center, and that's probably a more important position for a JS at the start. At the least you don't want to be stuck behind the ramp as a JS user.

Robotguy

I loved water slides as a kid so I'll probably go with that.

But on the other hand, it's on the right side meaning that'll be Marie's team instead of Callie's.

Decisions decisions...

This is something I also see being stacked heavily in favor of roller coasters lol
Yeah, I feel like this will be pretty one sided in the vote.

GAF should all join team waterslide, that way we have a higher percentage of the talent pool and maximize our impact on winrate.

Azure J

I just fought a ranked match where the lag was so real, the tower was jerking around in ten pace intervals and lost because of it. It was so bad the game kept going after the timer hit ) for almost 15 seconds.

This game I swear.

RedFyn

The issue with custom loadouts is balance. They also encourage you to play a certain role and make you think outside the box if you want to use it differently. The meta is constantly switching because the loadouts are static.

Geg

Yeah, I feel like this will be pretty one sided in the vote.

GAF should all join team waterslide, that way we have a higher percentage of the talent pool and maximize our impact on winrate.

At least this is less likely to be as emotionally charged as cats vs dogs was lol

phanphare

Banned
The issue with custom loadouts is balance. They also encourage you to play a certain role and make you think outside the box if you want to use it differently. The meta is constantly switching because the loadouts are static.

agreed. I think custom loadouts could potentially break the balance of the game. aka inkstrike with fucking everything lol.

J@hranimo

Banned
New Splatfest! Surprised it's so soon.

Honestly I'm only choosing waterslides because green is my favorite color :p

Edit: Wait...I got them mixed up. I really wanna shoot green ink all day but if gaf wants to choose waterslides cause of #TeamMarie then I'm down.

Zero²

Exactly, it's the static loadouts that make me eager for each new weapon and how differently they will work.

Actually now that we've all played a lot of Splatoon I want to revisit Inkstrikes and how folks feel about them. In the past I was always really afraid of Aerospray RG throwing balance out of the window due to how fast and how often it can get Inkstrike. I'm still seeing the Aerospray RG these days but not nearly as often and I feel that the community in general has learned how to fight it better. I also don't use the Aerospray RG now, preferring to use the Tentatek Splattershot or the Custom Jet Squelcher.

I probably need better questions, but here's two that might be of interest:

1) Which weapon(s) with Inkstrike do you think is/are fastest at getting Inkstrikes?

2) Do you think it's a problem that this/these weapon(s) can get Inkstrikes quickly?

My answers:
1) I think the Inkbrush is definitely the fastest at getting Inkstrikes, though I think it's much harder to use than the Aerospray RG, which is nearly as fast and is much easier to use.

2) No I don't think it's that problematic for the Inkbrush nor the Aerospray RG to get Inkstrikes that quickly. I feel that most folks have accustomed to dealing with Inkstrikes and they don't get killed by Inkstrikes as often. That and both the Inkbrush and Aerospray RG are short ranged weapons which can have difficulty fighting longer ranged weapons. Most other weapons can use a throwable sub for those problems, but (at least for the Aerospray RG) the Inkstrike is the only option to fight entrenched enemies that outzone them.

DrStiles

Going to have to be team Roller Coaster. It's such an adrenaline rush, and not to mention cleaner than a water slide.

I hope I'm making the popular choice but GAF seems to be all in on the slides

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
For as good as Splatoon controls, it's amazing how awkward it feels trying to get on a tower for tower control

also you guys do know splatfest isn't just a popularity contest, right?

Zero²

I still got 18 snails, and I had a lot great matches with my fellow cats. Dunno why people get so worked up about measly 4 snails haha
What matters is fighting for the team you like and doing your best.

Doorman

Just to be clear, I think the point of talking about being able to save "custom loadouts" wasn't with respect to weapon subs so much as being able to save particular clothing combinations for easy switching around. At least, that's how I meant to talk about it. It'd be nice to be able to save, like, "here's my disruptor-spam L-3 set" and have it up instantly without having to fish around for each component gear piece.

Actually now that we've all played a lot of Splatoon I want to revisit Inkstrikes and how folks feel about them. In the past I was always really afraid of Aerospray RG throwing balance out of the window due to how fast and how often it can get Inkstrike. I'm still seeing the Aerospray RG these days but not nearly as often and I feel that the community in general has learned how to fight it better. I also don't use the Aerospray RG now, preferring to use the Tentatek Splattershot or the Custom Jet Squelcher.

I probably need better questions, but here's two that might be of interest:

1) Which weapon(s) with Inkstrike do you think is/are fastest at getting Inkstrikes?

2) Do you think it's a problem that this/these weapon(s) can get Inkstrikes quickly?

My answers:
1) I think the Inkbrush is definitely the fastest at getting Inkstrikes, though I think it's much harder to use than the Aerospray RG, which is nearly as fast and is much easier to use.

2) No I don't think it's that problematic for the Inkbrush nor the Aerospray RG to get Inkstrikes that quickly. I feel that most folks have accustomed to dealing with Inkstrikes and they don't get killed by Inkstrikes as often. That and both the Inkbrush and Aerospray RG are short ranged weapons which can have difficulty fighting longer ranged weapons. Most other weapons can use a throwable sub for those problems, but (at least for the Aerospray RG) the Inkstrike is the only option to fight entrenched enemies that outzone them.

Maybe the Inkbrush can charge inkstrikes quickly if they're covering two areas at once thanks to sprinkler use, but the RG is so quick and simple that I think for the majority of players, if you really wanted to make an inkstrike-focused build, that still remains the go-to for me. Lack of range when fighting can be an issue, but if you encounter someone with an obvious advantage, it's easy enough to retreat and ink elsewhere instead, unless you're being heavily zoned by a whole team of chargers and squelchers. But...if you're up against a team of good chargers and squelchers, you may not have that much more luck with an inkbrush unless you manage to successfully YOLO-run all the way through their line of sight without getting tagged.

As for whether it's a problem, the only thing I particularly dislike about the inkstrike is its ability to greatly affect the balance of the battlefield after the game-time has expired. In that sense it's the only super which has that ability aside from the comparatively-minor bomb spam supers. If you can fire up an inkstrike in the last 2 seconds of a game and allow it to account for that significant of a percentage, I should be able to splat enemies post-clock with the Killer Wail and have those ink-puddles count toward the score, too.

Ozium

Zero²;171447185 said:
I still got 18 snails, and I had a lot great matches with my fellow cats. Dunno why people get so worked up about measly 4 snails haha
What matters is fighting for the team you like and doing your best.

and then realizing that this doesn't actually matter because the most popularly picked side will win regardless of doing your best

doing your best = less rewarding than picking the correct side = no reason to do your best because IT. DOESN'T. FUCKING. MATTER.

Top Bottom