• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Well played this morning before work and joined a room where there 4 clan members. Match starts and one member ends up on my team. Dude disconnects and we lose since its 3 vs 4.

Well played this morning before work and joined a room where there 4 clan members. Match starts and one member ends up on my team. Dude disconnects and we lose since its 3 vs 4.
Lovely. Why can't these folks just wait for the August update to start this kind of nonsense? They already ruined MK8 for me by adding an extra team mechanic where it doesn't belong.

Geg

I know lots of times hopping blasters can seem like they have more range than they do due to being hard to hit, which makes it easier for them to get close to you.

One time I managed to keep a blaster at bay for the entire duration of his bubbler while he was hopping around trying to get me though, after which we splatted each other. Felt pretty good about that one since most of the time I'm terrible at dealing with blasters

fred

That's some 5 stars bass slap right there... going back to my 3 chords guitar, rock rules
e: oh dear kraken, don't watch the end, my eyes!

Why did you have to say 'don't watch the end'..? It made me watch until the end and I will probably have nightmares now lol

ViviOggi

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01xms6w.jpg

Neol

So A+ players...

Is it common for teammates to just not go on the point during tower control? I understand that people don't want to be killed but is passive play common in high rank?

Zing

Banned
I am "only" A, but I did notice that better players will focus on inking the tower path and controlling the area. The last thing you want to be worried about when trying to defend the tower or climb back on is inking the ground around you. I also enjoy going deep into the enemy base and inking while the enemy just superjump to the middle.

Also, once you have a lead, there is no pressing need to ride the tower and get yourself splatted. Just zone the area around the tower and stay on your side of the stage.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
So A+ players...

Is it common for teammates to just not go on the point during tower control? I understand that people don't want to be killed but is passive play common in high rank?

Not very common in my experience, but yeah occasionally you do encounter people who are either distracted or scared or for whatever reason not as active as they should be.

EDIT: I think I might have misunderstood the question. Many players do not like riding the tower and prefer paving the way and/or defending it from the periphery.
When the other team has control, almost everyone concentrates on splatting the people on or around the tower.

Heng

So A+ players...

I think one of the reason they don't jump on it is because they're too focused on kills. There's no reason to jump on the point if a blaster is waiting for someone to kill as soon as you step up there. Most of the time it feels like they're just playing a deathmatch though, and it's pretty frustrating.

It's one of the main reason I don't bother with rank. I like ranked matches but I don't like some of the idiots who plays in it. Maybe when the August update comes around I'll go back to it.

atr0cious

So A+ players...

It's common in video games. Every game will have gutless chumps who wait for other people to do the job while they sit back and plink away from a corner.

Totakeke

So A+ players...

I actually prefer a more conservative playstyle compared to rushing to death (which ironically is even more of a "death"match). Even when I play a charger, I make the judgment whether my team has sufficient control over the area and whether the time is right to go on top of the tower and push it. When you go on the tower, your team will support you. Then you can jump off and switch with your teammates as things go. It's a smarter play. Jumping straight on the tower should not be anyone's main or only goal.

Neol

Thanks for the responses everyone.

B+ atm but playing with a room filled with A+ players and it really irks me at times when there are 2 enemies down but no one is getting on the point to advance it even just for a little bit before everyone spawns.

Totakeke

Thanks for the responses everyone.

B+ atm but playing with a room filled with A+ players and it really irks me at times when there are 2 enemies down but no one is getting on the point to advance it even just for a little bit before everyone spawns.

If it's in a middle then it's a wash whether you'll get anywhere significant before they come back. If it's deep into enemy territory, then the decision may be that it would be difficult to push further so going back to center to defend is a better choice. Not saying every A+ player shares the same idea though.

Azure J

MOTHER FUCKER.

So A+ players...

A- here but yeah you'd be surprised how often in both Tower Control and Splat Zones that the group waits for a "hero" to go in and get shit done. Everyone's all "play your role" until they realize that no one has established any sort of momentum prior and get lit the fuck up.

At the same time, it felt pretty rad getting all those Booyahs on my run up the ranks last night covering people and generally playing the main character on my team. :lol

Neol

If it's in a middle then it's a wash whether you'll get anywhere significant before they come back. If it's deep into enemy territory, then the decision may be that it would be difficult to push further so going back to center to defend is a better choice. Not saying every A+ player shares the same idea though.

Yea most of the time it was just people fighting in the middle area leading to a stalemate which is fine. Its just mildly infuriating when we clearly could push it forward but people end up wasting a good 5-10 seconds either blindly moving up by themselves or chilling back and painting the turf excessively.

I play pretty aggressively though so maybe its just my playstyle clashing with how everyone else is.

A- here but yeah you'd be surprised how often in both Tower Control and Splat Zones that the group waits for a "hero" to go in and get shit done. Everyone's all "play your role" until they realize that no one has established any sort of momentum prior and get lit the fuck up.

At the same time, it felt pretty rad getting all those Booyahs on my run up the ranks last night covering people and generally playing the main character on my team. :lol

Haha yea at times I do feel like no one is making moves unless I'm nearby.

Honestly I find it the worst that we're near there capture point and I die but everyone moves up and the tower resets and slowly starts to move backwards.

Geg

It is kind of annoying when you seem to be the only person willing to go on the tower, which was the case in one of my games yesterday. I was the one riding it and me and an enemy double splatted each other, and there were still two of my teammates inking around the tower but neither jumped on. I had to kind of spam the booyah prompt to let them know "hey no one's on the tower and it's about to start moving back to the center"

Azure J

I actually prefer a more conservative playstyle compared to rushing to death (which ironically is even more of a "death"match). Even when I play a charger, I make the judgment whether my team has sufficient control over the area and whether the time is right to go on top of the tower and push it. When you go on the tower, your team will support you. Then you can jump off and switch with your teammates as things go. It's a smarter play. Jumping straight on the tower should not be anyone's main or only goal.

One of the things I really want to see when we can private lobby is setting ourselves up to maintain a chain of swaps between who's on the tower to handle little aspects of the game better for one another. (i.e. a charger rides it in open spaces, a CQC weapon hops on and lets the charger off when going down tight corridors, a heavy gunner relieves the CQC guy when going down an ambush route and a ninja roller relieves him or something like that -- don't take this as an indication of roles that will work in these situations.)

It is kind of annoying when you seem to be the only person willing to go on the tower, which was the case in one of my games yesterday. I was the one riding it and me and an enemy double splatted each other, and there were still two of my teammates inking around the tower but neither jumped on. I had to kind of spam the booyah prompt to let them know "hey no one's on the tower and it's about to start moving back to the center"

No one pays pings any mind in ranked. If they do, stay in that room for as long as possible because you two will carry the fuck out of all the matches you're lucky enough to play together guaranteed.

Xeteh

I played a few games the other day while my friend was watching and he couldn't seem to understand why I was the only one getting on the tower. My answer was "I don't fucking know".

I took on an entire a team in splat zone in the warehouse last night cause my teammates got obliterated at the start. Wiped the enemy out and we never lost the splat zone after that.

Geg

Actually, which is the way you guys prefer, two guys on the tower so they can cover it from multiple angles in case of an ambush, or one guy on the tower so you can have more teammates spread out and paving the way for it?

FleenerW

damn youuuuu!!

I've got 2 out of 3 right now and the other sub is special charge up, so whatever. it honestly annoys me more from an aesthetic standpoint. I want all 3 subs the same. having one be different pisses me off.
DAMMIT I WANT THAT

Congrats though...
I thought having three of the same secondary abilities wasn't desirable because of big diminishing returns. Am I out of the loop on something?

backlot

Actually, which is the way you guys prefer, two guys on the tower so they can cover it from multiple angles in case of an ambush, or one guy on the tower so you can have more teammates spread out and paving the way for it?

Personally I'd prefer anything other than me on the tower and my three teammates cowering behind it. That seems to be the standard.

Zing

Banned
I thought having three of the same secondary abilities wasn't desirable because of big diminishing returns. Am I out of the loop on something?
A sub-abilities are equal to 1/3 of a main ability, so it isn't that big of a deal. Most abilities do have diminishing returns, but some are a fixed percentage value.

Ugh, that feeling when the other team is really bad, but your team is worse... :D

phanphare

Banned

honestly, I just want all 3 subs the same because having 1 be different annoys me. when they're all 3 the same it just looks better to me. I'm weird about shit like that. I'm OCD about really random stuff sometimes.

Neol

Really depends on the map but in my mind I would like 2 blasters/chargers to chill behind the tower holding it while a roller moving ahead and a shooter on the tower.

Vecks

I'd rather be alone on the tower with everyone else covering me. Whenever more than 1 is on the tower, we all just die together from a blaster or a bomb.

Totakeke

One of the things I really want to see when we can private lobby is setting ourselves up to maintain a chain of swaps between who's on the tower to handle little aspects of the game better for one another. (i.e. a charger rides it in open spaces, a CQC weapon hops on and lets the charger off when going down tight corridors, a heavy gunner relieves the CQC guy when going down an ambush route and a ninja roller relieves him or something like that -- don't take this as an indication of roles that will work in these situations.)

Personally I think most people have a too idealized view of what preset team games will be like. At least for a start, no one is going to get that coordinated, and it will be just a group of really good individual players beating up groups of less good individual players. In a really competitive setting then maybe.

Vecks

3 are more desirable because you can get a more noticeable effect of something you want. Yes, some subs (supposedly not all) have diminishing returns, but the effect of subs in general is so small, getting lots of different ones may not really do much at all.

Robotguy

All teammates put all points into special charge up and special duration. Super jump swap Krakens to/ from the tower constantly. Win.

Ansatz

So A+ players...

Depends on the map and weapon compositions we're facing but yeah the idea is to not let the enemy team gain a significant lead while you wait for 3-4 simultaneous kills to happen then you initiate an aggressive push. If we manage to get a decent distance I go full on defensive mode and when the coast is clear I prefer to stick around in mid to ink over everything.

I basically never embark the tower, I let someone else stand there while I rush forward to spawn camp. You will only see me on it when I pop my kraken or if we're deep into enemy territory to push it as far as possible before dying.

Top Bottom