• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

900x900px-LL-58cf3418_salt_intensifies.gif
Lol!!

RedFyn

I would just like all of my teammates that can't kill anyone to get on the tower. Normally that means 2 on. They act as bait for people too focused on killing the guys on the tower, keeps them out of my way, and the tower moves.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
First off, who gives a fuck it's a game. Oh no, 6 less snails, whatever will I do?

Second, we already had an argument about how wins do in fact matter, and I don't feel like having it again.

Its fine if you don't want to respond. I'm going to reply to what you've said though, and just my thoughts in general on how Splatfest works. If that was the conclusion then you should probably read on.

"it's a game". That's a great defense... So you wouldn't mind if regular and ranked matches were effected by miiverse popularity because "it's a game"? Whichever side collectively has the most "yeahs" wins the popularity portion. That would make for a fun game of skill.

And its not about the snails. A "winner" is being determined on a slanted ruleset. Normally, gamers are not okay with that. Winning matches actually has less of an effect than popularity despite being 2x more points. The reason is because the random matching of varying skilled players will result in a 50/50 split on overall wins/losses. With a pretty much guaranteed outcome of 50/50 wins, popularity becomes the deciding factor.

Wins x 2 + Popularity is the equation. Let's take a look at the recent Splatfest results.

Japan ​

Winner: Red Fox Udon 161 -139

Wins: 47%
Popularity: 67%

Loser: Green Tanuki Soba

Wins: 53%
Popularity: 33%

Europe ​

Winner: Rock 170 -130

Wins: 53%
Popularity: 64%

Loser: Pop

Wins: 47%
Popularity: 36%

North America ​

Winner: Dogs 160-140

Wins: 49%
Popularity: 62%

Loser: Cats

Wins: 51%
Popularity: 38%

As you can see, the final tally for the events had a 20+ point difference despite the Wins being extremely close. Interestingly the votes are all in the 60/40 - 70/30 range enabling such larger differences in the final tally.

The defense I've seen that makes the most sense is that the less popular side will have their skilled players playing 100% of matches that matter, while on the popular side the skilled players will waste matches playing vs their own team. This will result in a higher win percent for the less popular team. The are many other theories too, all with the conclusion that a popularity bonus is justified because the team with less players is guaranteed to win more. Let's ignore the fact that in the European Splatfest the less popular team lost 47 - 53 (tied for largest variance with Japan), and instead take a closer look at the scoring system.

You simply need to input some different numbers into the equation to see how broken it is. The real outcomes show it well enough but let's make our own for more proof.

Wins x 2 + Popularity

Team 1

Wins: 49%
Popularity: 52%

Team 2

Wins: 51%
Popularity: 48%

Final: 150 -150

This is the break-even point with a close as possible 51/49 win. If you add just 1 more point to popularity it becomes a 151 - 149 loss. Seeing as the previous votes were all so one-sided, and I suspect future events being even more so, it is pretty much impossible for the smaller team to win.

Team 1

Wins: 41%
Popularity: 67%

Team 2

Wins: 59%
Popularity: 33%

Final: 149 -151

This is what it would've taken for Soba in Japan to win with such a massive popularity difference. The win percents so far have been 51%, 53%, 53%, all close to 50/50. Overcoming the popular vote with wins under the current ruleset is not feasible. I've seen suggestions for upping the win multiplier to balance this, with x3 being the most common. Let's try it on the previous event results.

Japan ​

x2: 161 -139
x3: 208 - 192
x4: 255 - 245
x5: 302 - 298
x6: 349 - 351

Europe ​

x2: 170 -130
x3: (lost, no reason to continue)

North America ​

x2: 160 - 140
x3: 209 - 191
x4: 258 - 242
x5: 307 - 293
x6: 356 - 344
x7: 405 - 395
x8: 454 - 446
x9: 503 - 497
x10: 552 - 548
. . .

A small increase to the multiplier doesn't have a substantial effect. A higher percent win needs less multiplier even with a bigger popularity difference. So, if popularity points are in fact needed (with no evidence of that given the current results) as well as a win multiplier to make winning important, a flat rate x2 is not good enough. It would need to scale based on... something. Or you know, don't factor in popularity in the first place.

TL:DR A system is in place that is obviously unbalanced. It would be better if it was balanced.

Incoming mocking posts attempting to invalidate my stance.

You try working with cuttlegear and get back to me

You people are acting like this is some amazing accomplishment.

People gave ViviOggi props for the gear. That's all. They didn't act like it was the best thing ever to happen in Splatoon. You sound salty because people were congratulating and being envious of his gear. He wasn't trying to impress "you". He doesn't need to "get back to you" if he accomplishes something. Get over yourself.

Regiruler

FUCK DECIMAL SCORING
People gave ViviOggi props for the gear. That's all. They didn't act like it was the best thing ever to happen in Splatoon. You sound salty because people were congratulating and being envious of his gear. He wasn't trying to impress "you". He doesn't need to "get back to you" if he accomplishes something. Get over yourself.
It's unimpressive.

I wa actually disappointed when I checked the brand affinity. So much congratulations over a weighted RNG.

I do not mean to come across as angry or hostile. I am simply speaking my mind.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hey I have a question

Why is Splat Zones still in this game? Why does someone think anyone likes this boring, lazy mode?

Heng

Come to think of it, is GuySloth a GAF member? I've never seen him post here despite being a regular along with Master AI (who I know isn't a GAF member).
He's still waiting to get approved. He follows this thread though.

Made it to B+. It doesn't sound like an accomplishment, but it sure feels like it.
It's a step towards improvement. Congrats, keep up the hard work.

Regiruler

He's still waiting to get approved. He follows this thread though.

It's a step towards improvement. Congrats, keep up the hard work.
How did he get on peoples' lists if he's not approved yet?

Squidboards GAF subcommunity or something?
For the off chance you get it on Skatepark or Port, basically.
Ban skatepark from every mode

There shouldn't be that many ridges in one map

It's unimpressive.

I wa actually disappointed when I checked the brand affinity. So much congratulations over a weighted RNG.

I do not mean to come across as angry or hostile. I am simply speaking my mind.

Yeah, it's unimpressive to you but he wasn't trying to impress you in the first place lol. That's my whole point. If he's getting congrats over some gear in a game, why do you even care? It obviously impressed some people.

You're more than welcome to speak your mind. We're just saying that you sound salty and you tried to rain on his parade. It's not a big deal. We're all just enjoying a great game.

phanphare

Banned
Splat Zones is a ton of fun... when you're winning.

I think it's still fun if you're losing, provided you're on a competent team and the match was competitive

it's those quick knockouts because teammates are off doing who the fuck knows that aren't fun

Heng

How did he get on peoples' lists if he's not approved yet?

Squidboards GAF subcommunity or something?
Ban skatepark from every mode

There shouldn't be that many ridges in one map
I frequently post my NNID when people are looking for a way to get into gaf rooms (I no longer do this since my list is about full) and I think he joins someone he has on his friends list and adds gaf members when we get a gaf room going. I consider him a member anyways since all he needs now is for his account to be approved.

I actually like skate park. Arowana Mall would be cool if it had 2 splat zones instead of one, and for that reason it is my most hated map on ranked. If one team has a sniper and the other one doesn't, it's usually one sided which is pretty boring.

RedFyn

Haha, I just assumed he was a member. I don't remember if he said he was when he sent a friend request or not. Not that I care. He's a good player.

Azure J

I personally would get a kick out of it seeing how salty some members get when you kill them. *Cough* Azure *Cough*

This is a running thing I have to fix somehow in MultiplayerGAF. No one knows me because I was a good Viper/Dante/Strider in MarvelGAF, do good in KartGAF, have best Marf in SmashGAF or want to get gud at everything. Nope.

Everyone knows me because I get passionate about loss. :lol

And then there's that part of GAF that only knows me as the weird Takamaru dude.

This is a running thing I have to fix somehow in MultiplayerGAF. No one knows me because I was a good Viper/Dante/Strider in MarvelGAF, do good in KartGAF, have best Marf in SmashGAF or want to get gud at everything. Nope.

And then there's that part of GAF that only knows me as the weird Takamaru dude.
You are one of my favorite posters love your reactions lol

Zero²

You are my inkbrush bro, so there's that!

Regiruler

I accidentally took a set that I'm just leveling up into ranked

The worst part was that the head was comeback and I didn't look at the feet long enough to notice it was special duration up when I was using a killer wail wep

Zing

Banned
Although playing arowana mall against sniper/s and none in your team; might as well suicide.
52 with Ink Wall says hello! I have no problem with them. Every perch they have is within range from the middle.

I accidentally took a set that I'm just leveling up into ranked

The worst part was that the head was comeback and I didn't look at the feet long enough to notice it was special duration up when I was using a killer wail wep

Has anyone tested to see if Killer Wail is extended in duration? Sometimes it feels as though it lasts longer than usual.

Why is Splat Zones still in this game? Why does someone think anyone likes this boring, lazy mode?
Not sure if serious.

I vastly prefer Splat Zones.

Zero²;171529369 said:
Going some ranked matches...
Bit who is up for some matches later?

I'll be on in 5 hours 40 minutes for the new map. Add me if you haven't already! (NNID dcorban)

And its not about the snails. A "winner" is being determined on a slanted ruleset. Normally, gamers are not okay with that. Winning matches actually has less of an effect than popularity despite being 2x more points. The reason is because the random matching of varying skilled players will result in a 50/50 split on overall wins/losses. With a pretty much guaranteed outcome of 50/50 wins, popularity becomes the deciding factor.
I am under the impression that the more popular team winning overall is what Nintendo intends. Awarding points for winning matches is to add some variance and tension to the results.

atr0cious

Ok, time to do a little stretching with my weapons, get ready for this new map tonight. I forgot how good the .96 feels.

52 with Ink Wall says hello! I have no problem with them. Every perch they have is within range from the middle.

Has anyone tested to see if Killer Wail is extended in duration? Sometimes it feels as though it lasts longer than usual.
Special Duration Up

Description: Increases usage time of special weapons.
This ability increases the duration of special weapons—the effects of Bubbler, Inkzooka, Kraken, Bomb Rush, and Echolocator all last longer. For Inkstrike and Killer Wail you’re only given more time to aim the weapon, but the effect itself does not last longer. When Bubbler is extended to teammates, they also benefit from the increased duration, even if they don’t have the Special Duration Up ability.

Guide says no.
I am under the impression that the more popular team winning overall is what Nintendo intends. Awarding points for winning matches is to add some variance and tension to the results.
Will you cats just let this go? They show the formula on the final results screen. If cats had won more than just a handful more matches relative to their size and ratio, they would've won. They didn't so they didn't.

Top Bottom