• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Syn23

So, I'm sorry since you guys have probably already talked about it a million times, but I can't find a definitive answer: how do bonuses stack, and is there any difference if they're on the same piece of gear or in different ones?

In general, should I stack bonuses or should I avoid it completely?

(I've gotten to level 16 and reached B- rank, so I feel like more advanced mechanics like bonuses are meaningful in my games now)

Zing

Banned
So, I'm sorry since you guys have probably already talked about it a million times, but I can't find a definitive answer: how do bonuses stack, and is there any difference if they're on the same piece of gear or in different ones?

(I've gotten to level 16 and reached B- rank, so I feel like more advanced mechanics like bonuses are meaningful in my games now)
In general, there are diminishing returns, although testing shows that a few are a fixed percentage. Also, an ability as the main ability is (usually) 3x more powerful than the ability as a sub-ability. The ability on same or different gear does not matter.

okay, jumping into the GAF game now, leveling up my special duration gear.

Crisium

http://squidboards.com/threads/hard-data-gear-abilities-percentual-effects.2904/

It's probably not completely accurate.

Ahnez

The game has behind the scenes skill-based matchmaking. I fucked around for a handful of rounds doing nothing with randoms once and I ended up getting matched with level 1s who probably never played the game.
But playing with friends affect those stats?

Its kinda unfair, no? lol

Crisium

You still need to try the carbon roller.

I want to try it too. It seems fitting for me. I fundamentally think the Splat (Krakon) Roller and Dynamo Roller are inherently badly designed though, so I'm really turned off rollers. Carbon Roller is fine actually - it fits into the Shotgun archtype perfectly. There's a reason shotguns have the shortest range of all weapons in other shooters - and sorry Dynamo, but "startup" is not a valid compensator.

Carbon looks fun though, and I do like my Brush. But I just can't do it. I can't become a roller.

Like this GIF of yours:
http://gfycat.com/FrayedAcrobaticIndianringneckparakeet

It actually makes my blood boil watching that. I feel anger at Rollers jumping up and down and spewing their AOE damage. I can't do it.

javac

I was messing around with different weapons and ended up using a Splattershot by accident (Tentatek), I think I was in test mode and forgot to change to when I went online, stupid me, but to my surprise I'm actually pretty decent with it. A bit bog standard and boring but I might stick with it for now. Still having trouble finding 'my' weapon.

Zing

Banned
This sucks without special charge up and damage up. After this gear levels up I am switching.

I just realized that gear with added slots levels faster? Weird.

Syn23

In general, there are diminishing returns, although testing shows that a few are a fixed percentage. Also, an ability as the main ability is (usually) 3x more powerful than the ability as a sub-ability. The ability on same or different gear does not matter.

okay, jumping into the GAF game now, leveling up my special duration gear.

Thanks guys.

I have Last-Ditch Effort, Ninja Squid and Quick Super Jump as my main abilities now.
I think I should change Quick Super Jump for sure and maybe Ninja Squid too.

WALKMAN04

Good games gaf gonna get something to eat, wasn't really planning on playing later but I was having fun with the carbon roller so I'll probably jump back on later.

Is it just me or is the hit detection (splat detection) really random? There are times where I get splatted without actually getting hit...when I'm behind or way to the side of someone.

mo60

Has anyone ever played against or with users with no mii name in splatoon. I just played a match were a player had no mii name.

Junahu

Just had a wonderful match, where one ally got a foothold into the enemy's territory on Moray Towers, but just sprayed a tiny bit of ink in an inconvenient area and hid in it, for the entire match. No one else seemed to notice but me, but I got a lot of use out of super jumping to them and then hassling the enemy team by pushing deep. I made sure not to leave an ink trail that revealed where my ally was.

I picked team sleeping for the splatfest. Looks like it's the unpopular choice out on the plaza, but I wonder how many of those team eating peeps are kids who hate bed-time.

Zing

Banned
I change my gear and come back to a teleporting roller. He wasn't even doing anthing, just rolling non stop, but teleporting so was hard to kill. I have no tolerance for that shit. I'll come back later when he leaves.

Geg

Hahaha that was brutal

Aw it counts you falling off after the timer reaches 0 as a death, that should have been 6-1 for me

Totakeke

So rapid blaster turned out to be a successful experiment. The weapon leads to more of a controlling playstyle which I think suits me quite well. It's definitely feels more relaxing to play than most other weapons. It's definitely well suited for the zig zag routes and verticality of Moray Towers. Will be sad to see the towers going back into regular rotation .

Speaking of experiments, carbon roller with bomb throw range up was a failed one after messing with it for a couple of days. Having a roller being able to launch surprise long range assaults with burst bombs seemed like an interesting idea but it's hard to land a long range KO with the delay between bomb throws and the fact that most of the time you'll have no idea where you are actually landing the bombs. Being able to push back ranged users was still good enough of an utility, but bomb throw range up also messes with your ability in close-mid combat range because you'll tend to overthrow the bombs so that idea is now scrapped.

However, there was an interesting find that might be worth looking into.

I want to try it too. It seems fitting for me...

So for you guys interested in the Carbon Roller, when you flick with ZR, immediately press R to throw a burst bomb as well. So rather than flick, always do flick-throw. This is faster than doing two flicks This slightly compensates for the lower damage and range of the carbon roller, but if you get good enough with it, you can also use the burst bombs to cut off your enemy from running away too. You can also basically just spam ZR-R-ZR-R like you would for a brush for maximum damage.

DaBoss

I have to admit, I'm getting a bit tired of the grind for cash just to go for rerolls. Basically my luck has run its course and I've probably done 13 rerolls on these shoes.

Top Bottom