• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

RedFyn

WTF STOPPING THE GAME RIGHT NOW

Iwata passed away. =(
surpprised-5.png

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Finished up my last game, run to the store quick and find out through this thread, Satoru Iwata passed away. So sudden and quick.

Man...I'm bummed. RIP

DaBoss

Yea, the news is a big shocker. :(

I wonder if there will be Miiverse posts about it in Splatoon. It'll get depressing fast. :/
I thought that was shown to be incorrect?
Yea, you're right, wasn't aware of that. But the strategy guide does say that having them as subs are more effective or something like that than as a main ability.

Azure J

I'm legit just here out of it now and still in the lobby screen. Never thought I'd get so affected by something like this but damn.

Crayolan

I wonder if there will be Miiverse posts about it in Splatoon. It'll get depressing fast. :/

Yea, you're right, wasn't aware of that. But the strategy guide does say that having them as subs are more effective or something like that than as a main ability.

The Splatoon Miiverse is pretty quick on the uptake with Nintendo-relevant news. When Splatoon broke 1m sales half my plaza was full of congratulation posts. I'm expecting the entire plaza to be RIP Iwata posts by the end of the night.

Geg

That's awful :( I still feel kind of ignorant on what he actually did for Nintendo, like what all he was really responsible for

I don't doubt it, there were posts about Christopher Lee's death too

That's awful :( I still feel kind of ignorant on what he actually did for Nintendo, like what all he was really responsible for

I don't doubt it, there were posts about Christopher Lee's death too

Got this from wiki
After graduating from university, Iwata joined HAL Laboratory in a full-time capacity.[3] He became the company's coordinator of software production in 1983. Some of the video games he helped create while he worked there were Balloon Fight, EarthBound, and the Kirby games.[4][5] Iwata was eventually promoted to president of HAL in 1993.[3] Nevertheless, both he and HAL sometimes aided in the creation of Nintendo video games.

In 2000, Iwata took a position at Nintendo as the head of its corporate planning division. When Hiroshi Yamauchi, the company's president since 1949, retired on May 31, 2002, Iwata succeeded as Nintendo's fourth president. He continued to help out at HAL as a consultant. He commented on Nintendo games in his section of Nintendo's Wii website, Iwata Asks. Iwata also worked on The Legend of Zelda, Mario, and the Animal Crossing series of games. He also played a cameo in WarioWare: Smooth Moves, where he is referred to as "Shop Manager Iwata". On April 24, 2013, he also took the role of Nintendo of America's CEO.[6] As one of his first changes as CEO of Nintendo of America, Iwata decided that they wouldn't hold large press conferences at E3, and instead have several smaller events, each aimed at a certain demographic.[7]

That's not everything but a brief summary

Azure J

Pretty much responsible for:

- The scrolling screen technique in Super Mario Bros (from techniques used in Balloon Fight)
- Pokemon Stadium's porting & coding (in a single day IIRC) when Gamefreak couldn't do it all
- Fitting Kanto onto the same cart as all of Johto in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
- Close pals with Sakurai in HAL leading to the birth of Kirby, also had a huge hand in Dragon King (later Smash Bros) technical design and was responsible for getting Melee out on time for the Christmas '01 season
- Programming god from what I hear of his talents in the past

ryechu

I wish the hackers would find the ability files so that we have hard numbers.

Totakeke

Sigh, even with the silly squid miiverse drawing staring at me, I'd like to think that without him at the helm, all the squid kids on my screen would not have been possible. On one hand, it's hard to see who within Nintendo would take over his role, on the other, I'm sort of glad that NX is well underway so at least we'll see one more console generation based on his leadership.

Geg

- The scrolling screen technique in Super Mario Bros (from techniques used in Balloon Fight)
- Pokemon Stadium's porting & coding (in a single day IIRC) when Gamefreak couldn't do it all
- Fitting Kanto onto the same cart as all of Johto in Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
- Close pals with Sakurai in HAL leading to the birth of Kirby, also had a huge hand in Dragon King (later Smash Bros) technical design and was responsible for getting Melee out on time for the Christmas '01 season

What about on the hardware side? Like what kind of role did he play in the development of the Wii/Wii U/DS/3DS

ryechu

Iwata was my favorite person at Nintendo. It's really sad but it wasn't unexpected. He visibly aged ten years since e3 2013.

J@hranimo

Banned

What?! That's heavy. Dude's a legend.

Didn't he also redo the entire programming of Earthbound all by himself from nothing in the middle of development? He didn't even fix up the existing code, he just went and made every line of code himself.

Edit: He didn't, there was another programmer with him, but he still saved Earthbound from being cancelled in mid development.

WALKMAN04

Good few games Azure, something came up, which is why you got that kill on me in the last game, being on your phone and motion controls is a bad combination and then I dropped the phone when I was in the firefight with you lol, so I will probably be done for the night

Azure J

Kinda dabbling in the game right now (bro was playing/is playing now) and saw someone with this awesome Splash Mob White Linen shirt with three Ink Saver Mains. Sadly, they didn't show up in my plaza.

Anyone have the shirt so I can order it?

Totakeke

For anyone wondering, the plaza is filled with Iwata tributes. That's that at least.

For anyone wanting to play more Moray Towers, it's up on turf wars.

Kinda dabbling in the game right now (bro was playing/is playing now) and saw someone with this awesome Splash Mob White Linen shirt with three Ink Saver Mains. Sadly, they didn't show up in my plaza.

Is it this shirt, I can get another slot and do some rerolls for you?

I sent you a request a few days ago, mii name's Kevin and NNID is Triforce141.

finally got kicked back to C+ after being matched up with the most imbalanced matchmaking of all time five times in a row. people running away from the objective for no reason, trying to camp a single splat zone on port mackerel and never attempting to help cap the other one, never using their specials

first match back in C+, I, the sniper, am the only one who has ever tried to push the tower. i sit on the tower for a full 15 seconds by myself while my team is absolutely nowhere to be found. i have more kills than the rest of my team combined.

bleh. i wanted to play to try and cheer myself up over the news, and instead I was too upset to enjoy myself at all :(

J@hranimo

Banned
I played one round with randoms (none of us are on :/)

We won, but even then I just don't have it in me right now. Never thought I'd be affected so much by his passing :(

Azure J

Is it this shirt, I can get another slot and do some rerolls for you?

I sent you a request a few days ago, mii name's Kevin and NNID is Triforce141.

Yeah that's the one. It'd be greatly appreciated. I'll also try to shffle some folks and add you now.

finally got kicked back to C+ after being matched up with the most imbalanced matchmaking of all time five times in a row. people running away from the objective for no reason, trying to camp a single splat zone on port mackerel and never attempting to help cap the other one, never using their specials

first match back in C+, I, the sniper, am the only one who has ever tried to push the tower. i sit on the tower for a full 15 seconds by myself while my team is absolutely nowhere to be found. i have more kills than the rest of my team combined.

bleh. i wanted to play to try and cheer myself up over the news, and instead I was too upset to enjoy myself at all :(

Ranked is kooky like that. Don't let it frazzle you anymore than the news already has.

Yeah i want to play some more to get some more play time on moray towers, but on the other hand... :(

I feel like playing something and not playing simultaneously right now.

That the one with the ink recovery up as a main? I have that one.

I really don't get some people in ranked, there's three people my team wrecking your team, why are you just camping on the sniping spot on the mall waiting for me to get close to you?

ryechu

maybe you should use a harder"carry" weapon until you are higher ranked. Like you can probably to tentatek and come in from the side and get 3 kills over and over until mid B. The thing is if your team are all behind you as a charger, regardless if your true skill is higher than your current rank its not really going to show. That said, I raised my rank from C- to A+ using mostly chargers. Instead of caring about if you win or loss, just try to improve your skil with the weapon. There is a lot to get better, and if you get better at killomg youll rise in rank eventually. Also dont expect your allies to get your sides or push the point after you get like a triple kill or something. Play as far up as you need to be while staying safe. All deaths are your fault.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I imagine someone getting off work or school and going straight to Splatoon and suddenly seeing all these miiverse posts over the Squids heads.

feels bad man

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Totakeke nice job with that bubble shield right when I came with the Kraken.

Tons of Iwata memorials in Splatoon lobby.

Top Bottom