• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

I'm also scoring way better in Tower mode, compared to turf and splat.

And maining splash-o-magic proved to be gold for tower mode. Have yet to lose a tower match (10+ games).

I think we can all agree that the mode is FREEEESH!

Geg

Yeah my first game with tower control I went 19-9 which I think is my record for highest number of kills in one match, though not in terms of difference between kills and deaths. Another one I went 13-13. Even in the game that ended in less than a minute I ended up with 5 kills

Robotguy

If Nintendo is releasing modes in order of intensity as they seem to be then rainmaker is going to be nuts.

Also, why did you release a new mode on a weeknight?! I'm so tired. :(

Geg

lol I'm just now watching Gamexplain's tower control debut stream. Derrick is not very good at the video game

Ansatz

Everyone who's A+ing already with Tower Control are jerks

I actually deranked with the gal .96 which hasn't happend since forever, I was stable at max before. I think it's a combination of the weapon being weak on TC and alot of skilled players who are online today. Got A+ back pretty easily with the splattershot though. Today was the first time ever I participated in a lobby full of A+ too so that was cool!

Zero²

lol I'm just now watching Gamexplain's tower control debut stream. Derrick is not very good at the video game
Poor Derrick, he just sucks with the squelcher. You are supposed to use your range not race to enemies line of fire :D
Anyway, do we know how the modes rotation will work?

DaBoss

My views on the Blaster are from using it for 5 games that were mostly one-sided in my favor. Each one of them were in different lobbies. And seeing other people use it as well.

Another easy to use weapon is the Dynamo Roller. The long wind up time really doesn't matter in this mode compared to others.
Blasters are good at getting people off the tower, but so are a lot of other weapons. You haven't explained how having a blaster on top of the tower makes it a easy victory. If you're talking about the custom blaster with the bubbler then, that's a different story.
None of the other weapons can almost guarantee a kill when taking people off the tower. I never said keeping a Blaster on the tower would give an easy victory. Keeping the enemy off the tower is half of the game and the Blaster does it best.

I'm talking about the Blasters in general excluding the Rapid Blasters. The Custom Blaster has the easiest time
Suction Bombs can do that really well too.
Sure, but it uses up far too much ink to keep up the pressure. A Blaster can just continuously shoot.
Mid is far too wide, I can easily control/kill a blaster. Keep in mind I never jump on to the tower, I just hunt people down using the chaos and ninja squid as cover, then defend with suction bombs and inkzooka
This kinda applies to most of the mid-range weapons and I think the normal Splattershot with burst bombs would be better cause of the knockback and low ink consumption.

A Blaster can easily kill someone as well.
Are ranks separate for the different modes?
No. It's the same between Splat Zones and Tower Control.

Saro

I still wish there was a sperate rank for splat zones and tower control it would give everyone a chance to to start at the same rank and it would show what mode better suits you. For example, someone could rank B for splat zones and rank A for tower control.

fred

Just had a go at Tower Control and it's great...but has it completely REPLACED Splat Zones..? I thought they were adding content gradually not replacing old content with new content. Unless I'm missing something..? :eek:/

Robotguy

Just had a go at Tower Control and it's great...but has it completely REPLACED Splat Zones..? I thought they were adding content gradually not replacing old content with new content. Unless I'm missing something..? :eek:/
Ranked modes will probably rotate after a short introductory period for the new mode.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Rotating game modes is just dumb.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the map rotations, and then separating Splat Zones/Turf Wars into ranked and non-ranked, but taking away a game mode, even for just hours at a time is the worst decision they've made.

I'd actually like to play some ranked Turf Wars, or some non-ranked Splat Zones, but no, they're going to lock us into these decisions for some reason. Surely there's enough players at this time to have more than two playlists going.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt with the map rotations, and then separating Splat Zones/Turf Wars into ranked and non-ranked, but taking away a game mode, even for just hours at a time is the worst decision they've made.

I'd actually like to play some ranked Turf Wars, or some non-ranked Splat Zones, but no, they're going to lock us into these decisions for some reason. Surely there's enough players at this time to have more than two playlists going.

Even if there is currently, their initial plan went with the worst-case scenario (wii u, new ip, all that) - it's understandable, but it's something to be included at or the post-August update imo.

Yeah, hopefully we'll get the ability to chose ranked modes in the August update. They should see that they have a large enough player base to support multiple game modes at the same time.

In custom lobbies it seems you'll definitely be able to enter different modes. They should add it in general too, though

Robotguy

Well that's a bit pants. Would be better to have the choice between the two imo.
Yeah, hopefully we'll get the ability to chose ranked modes in the August update. They should see that they have a large enough player base to support multiple game modes at the same time.

Robotguy

Even if there is currently, their initial plan went with the worst-case scenario (wii u, new ip, all that) - it's understandable, but it's something to be included at or the post-August update imo.

In custom lobbies it seems you'll definitely be able to enter different modes. They should add it in general too, though
Yeah, I meant in general. From the sounds of it you can play whatever you want in custom lobbies.

WALKMAN04

Im sure they had this plan in progress before they knew how much they would sell, they are probably going to stick with it for a while. They aren't going to update the game for it now, if anything it will be a part of the August update, which might even give us the ability to have custom rules in our lobby. They will realize eventually that their user base is big enough to support the various modes.

Totakeke

None of the other weapons can almost guarantee a kill when taking people off the tower. I never said keeping a Blaster on the tower would give an easy victory. Keeping the enemy off the tower is half of the game and the Blaster does it best.

Keeping enemies off the tower is not a big issue in Tower Control though, that's why most towers go back and forth. The main issue is keeping it.

My god had the best rally ever! They were only 3 away from winning and we managed to not only push em back but got the KO at the 1 second mark.

Mdk7

Yeah what is the point of this? Why would anyone want one less option?
I seriously don't understand Nintendo at times (most of the time lately).

Picked this up yesterday and I've been catching up on tips and tricks--just hit level 6.

What's the general consensus on gyro aiming? I couldn't stand it and turned it off immediately but I've seen a couple videos insisting it's the most accurate way to play. Can't stand the weight of the gamepad.

Jims

Picked this up yesterday and I've been catching up on tips and tricks--just hit level 6.

What's the general consensus on gyro aiming? I couldn't stand it and turned it off immediately but I've seen a couple videos insisting it's the most accurate way to play. Can't stand the weight of the gamepad.

General consensus (around here at least) is that the gyro controls are superior.

It takes a little while to get used to... As a tip, I would say consider the gyros as your vertical axis control and the right stick as your horizontal. And then when you get comfortable with that, start using the gyro to make small adjustments in aiming (vertical and horizontal).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I might have to try switching to gyro aiming, it seems like the skill of the player base has gotten so much better overall than at launch, and I find myself missing shots quite often against decent players.

I just hate how much it limits your movement with the right stick though. I should be able to aim up/down with the stick as well, and just make small adjustments with the gyro.

Yeah what is the point of this? Why would anyone want one less option?
I seriously don't understand Nintendo at times (most of the time lately).

Not gone, it's on rotation for now as to not split the userbase too much (and not being able to find enough people in either mode). Splatoon exceeded sales expectations, but the game had to be designed for the worst-case scenario.

Violet_0

Banned
What weapons have you all been using in Tower Control? I've found splat roller to be pretty good. Suction Bombs and Killer Wail seems like one of the best sub/special combos you can get in this mode.

Custom E-liter - got a decent amount of kills with a 2.5:1 kdr, lost both games, dropped to B+
Carbon Roller - won one and lost one, got my best kdr score (19:8) with this weapon, seems pretty good
Golden Dynamo Roller - my kdr isn't as good as with the other weapons, but it's zoning is strong and it brought me back to A-
Rapid Blaster - sometimes I have a good kdr, sometimes I have the least kills, but I won most of my matches with this weapon by controlling that damn tower. Sure, I get more kills with a charger, but I've been in too many games where my team won through knockouts despite dying over and over again to enemy snipers. Brought me up to A 70p today after a couple of hours

WALKMAN04

I spent over 100 hours playing with analog controls and maxed out my rank, so you can use them effectively, but I switched to gyro controls maybe a little over a week now just to switch things up. I personally think I can play at the same effectiveness with either( except with a charger), but I can say that it feels like a completely different game than anything I've ever played before. Gyro does help with aiming especially with the charger, I can't play with that weapon without using gyro. I couldn't stand it at first either, but I eventually got used to it and you don't have to hold the gamepad out in front of you I just hold it over my lap as I sit. Just keep giving it a try if you want it definitely feels like a different game once you get used to it.

Geg

Just rest your arms in your lap when using the gyro aiming. There's usually no reason to have to lift the gamepad up to a higher level

ryechu

I might have to try switching to gyro aiming, it seems like the skill of the player base has gotten so much better overall than at launch, and I find myself missing shots quite often against decent players.

I just hate how much it limits your movement with the right stick though. I should be able to aim up/down with the stick as well, and just make small adjustments with the gyro.

that would break the controls.

Timeaisis

I feel like I always have to jump on the tower because no one else wants to. Or everyone wants to jump on the tower and die.

Zemm

Yeah this surprised me as well, it's not very intuitive, it was done better in uncharted golden abyss (the only other game I've played with gyro). It's not bad but I don't really like it after playing with it for two days now.

Ocho

Last night I won all my tower games with a Japan bro that somehow always got matched up with me. I quit after he did.

Still rocking the .52 Gal Deco as my go to best weapon.

WALKMAN04

Yeah this surprised me as well, it's not very intuitive, it was done better in uncharted golden abyss (the only other game I've played with gyro). It's not bad but I don't really like it after playing with it for two days now.
Do you consider yourself an experienced FPS/TPS player because some of us that have identified ourselves as such including myself took a long time getting used to gyro. Personally it took me longer than two days probably somewhere like 6 or so days( not straight) of trying gyro before I could properly use them.

The general consensus is that they're better. Note, I'm a fan of motion controls in general. Also note, however, that unlike many of my ilk I wasn't convinced that Wii Mote aiming was necessarily better than stick last generation. For all its accuracy, turning was always an issue. I often found that I could beat people at range, but once they were in my face, things got significantly more difficult. My dream was a remote with a second analog stick, but alas it never happened... until now.

That's what gyro controls are in this game: the quick turning of an analog stick, coupled with the precision of motion controls. In my opinion, this is the first game where the motion option completely outclasses dual analog. I honestly can't think of anything that control scheme does better than gyros because this is dual analog+.
Or as I see it, motion+

The proof is in the pudding: here and elsewhere on the net, many people are coming to the realization that if they want to rank up, they have to adapt (note, I said many, not everyone. Some people are just dual stick gods). It's really been awesome to see, actually.

Zemm

Do you consider yourself an experienced FPS/TPS player because some of us that have identified ourselves as such including myself took a long time getting used to gyro. Personally it took me longer than two days probably somewhere like 6 or so days( not straight) of trying gyro before I could properly use them.

Yeah I play fps on PC mainly and have done since ut99 so thumbsticks always feel awful to me which is why I wanted to try gyro, I'm still sticking with it for now but it is weird and I'd have preferred the uncharted way too.

Top Bottom