• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

backlot

The thing about Tower Control is that the Tower moves faster if you have more people on it. So a team wipe can be devastating.

That's not true. Speed is unaffected by how many teammates you have on it. It just goes faster if you're retracing ground you've covered before.

Stealth Jump is crazy strong in this mode.

You think so? In my experience this mode is so chaotic that it doesn't make much of a difference. If you're jumping to a teammate on the tower its not like the enemy doesn't know there's somebody up there.

Nico_D

Personally I find the Beacon to be overpowered as a sub ability because no one has time to clear out all the beacons.

Sub abilities like ColdBlooded/NinjaJump/Ninja Squid are rendered useless in the majority of situation - so you'd need a completly different set of gear for this mode in particular.

So true. I've been dropping beakons here and there and they stay where I put them until used. Contrary to other modes.

I too noticed that Stealth Jump and Ninja Squid are useless and got rid of them. Which, I think, is great that different modes require different things. Maybe Rainmaker will require faster running speed?

backlot

What do people think about bomb range up? Extra range on Suction Bombs seems like it could be helpful. I'm considering trying out Bomb Sniffer too.

Crayolan

You think so? In my experience this mode is so chaotic that it doesn't make much of a difference. If you're jumping to a teammate on the tower its not like the enemy doesn't know there's somebody up there.

Keeping constant pressure on the tower is mandatory to win, so when the tower isn't in your base you have no choice but to super jump. Because of how often you need to super jump stealth jump is really useful.

DaBoss

This mode is like "let's make a mode that one weapon can dominate easily". It's amazing how easy it is to use a Blaster. Makes this mode seem like hilariously stupid design.

backlot

Keeping constant pressure on the tower is mandatory to win, so when the tower isn't in your base you have no choice but to super jump. Because of how often you need to super jump stealth jump is really useful.

But if the tower is in your control when you jump why does it matter if the enemy sees your marker or not? The enemy knows there are people up there already anyway. Seems like it'd only be situationally useful if they take the tower while you're mid jump. I'd rather free up the ability slot and have faster super jumps.

StAidan

The high-position campers can be cleared by taking the new entrance to the enemy area on the left side. At the moment, very few seem to expect attacking enemies approaching from that direction. It'll probably change when players get familiar with the stage changes made for Tower Control.

Yeah, that's been my experience too. I faced off against an amazing charger player who was annihilating my team every time we took control of the tower -- that is, until I took the new route to the enemy's upper level and neutralized him from behind. It caught their team completely off guard, and they never recovered.

Crayolan

But if the tower is in your control when you jump why does it matter if the enemy sees your marker or not? The enemy knows there are people up there already anyway. Seems like it'd only be situationally useful if they take the tower while you're mid jump. I'd rather free up the ability slot and have faster super jumps.

Without stealth jump there's a much higher chance you're gonna be killed when you land. That's it. And yeah, if they do take the tower and you jump then stealth jump gives you a chance to take it back.

backlot

This mode is like "let's make a mode that one weapon can dominate easily". It's amazing how easy it is to use a Blaster. Makes this mode seem like hilariously stupid design.

People just need to realize that you can't have the whole team ride the tower when there are blasters or chargers on the opposing team. Someone has to rush ahead of the tower to intercept them before they get close enough to attack.

Rize_21

What do people think about bomb range up? Extra range on Suction Bombs seems like it could be helpful. I'm considering trying out Bomb Sniffer too.

Worth it with two main skills, it becomes a whole new weapon with three to the point that I can splat snipers with this configuration, and keep the opponents busy by throwing it around their spawn point, the only downside is its ink consumption, this thing's so hungry! with some ink savers, I can throw three of them in ~5 seconds.

Ansatz

Imo the regular splattershot with suction bomb and inkzooka is just as good if not better. It's the only weapon I've seen get 20+ kills and it happend a couple of times. The sub and specials are insanely good at defending and the fire rate / range is ideal for the vast majority of encounters. It might not work as well on mall though.

Totakeke

Conversely I think inkbrush in tower control is interesting because it has the mobility to actually stay ahead of the tower even while flanking. Other weapons just have issues trying to catch up if you're not standing on the tower.

phanphare

Banned
Splash-O-Matic has done wonders in this mode for me.

yeah that was working really well for me last night. had to go to bed so I'm excited to get back to it after work today haha.

I paired it with special charge up and special duration up and that worked really well.

JavyOO7

If the tower hasn't traversed a part yet then it will go on normal speed. If the tower has been there before then it does go faster.

DaBoss

People just need to realize that you can't have the whole team ride the tower when there are blasters or chargers on the opposing team. Someone has to rush ahead of the tower to intercept them before they get close enough to attack.
That doesn't really stop the Blasters from easily getting people off the tower.
Imo the regular splattershot with suction bomb and inkzooka is just as good if not better. It's the only weapon I've seen get 20+ kills and it happend a couple of times. The sub and specials are insanely good at defending and the fire rate / range is ideal for the vast majority of encounters. It might not work as well on mall though.
20+ kills would happen if the game was going back and forth. With a Blaster on your team, and none on the other team, the chance of it going back and forth are slim.

Geg

When the tower is going back to the center, will it go faster if someone is on it or the speed is the same?

It will always go faster going back toward the middle regardless of whether someone's on top of it.

Really the tower only seems to have two speeds, the slower speed where it's traveling through areas it hasn't been through yet and the faster speed when it's traveling through areas it has.

Totakeke

20+ kills would happen if the game was going back and forth. With a Blaster on your team, and none on the other team, the chance of it going back and forth are slim.

Blasters are good at getting people off the tower, but so are a lot of other weapons. You haven't explained how having a blaster on top of the tower makes it a easy victory. If you're talking about the custom blaster with the bubbler then, that's a different story.

NotLiquid

>opposing team does 100 counter comeback in last minute when we had 5 clicks left to go

FUCK

also Bluefin Depot was easily designed with this mode in mind.

Geg

tumblr_nqsi3cToKV1sq1v5eo1_1280.jpg

Ansatz

Mid is far too wide, I can easily control/kill a blaster. Keep in mind I never jump on to the tower, I just hunt people down using the chaos and ninja squid as cover, then defend with suction bombs and inkzooka

Geg

Mid is far too wide, I can easily control/kill a blaster. Keep in mind I never jump on to the tower, I just hunt people down using the chaos and ninja squid as cover, then defend with suction bombs and inkzooka

I remember expecting to never get on the tower and only provide support but sometimes I was the only one around and I had to to push forward.

Then I found that long range weapons like the squelchers are actually perfect for being on top of the tower; they can easily reach areas where enemies are likely to ambush you before the tower gets too close. You just have to kind of trust your teammates to take care of enemies on the ground around you

Might as well post it here too. From Nintendo's 75th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders Q & A

" I am happy to hear that “Splatoon” for Wii U, a new software title that is not part of a series, was so well-received that it reached 1 million units in sales."

Iwata:

" As some of you may have seen the TV commercials we have been airing recently, “Splatoon” is a brand-new title and not a title from an established series. It has a very unique and fantasy-like setting. This game, inspired by squid squirting out ink, is played by human-shaped characters with squid-like features shooting, instead of squirting, ink at each other, and the team that paints the widest area in its team color wins. Having received high recognition from our consumers for its novelty, this title’s sell-through sales reached 1 million units in less than a month from its release. We feel very grateful for this, since our view was not so optimistic prior to release, for it being a non-series title. "

Splatoon exceeding expectations.

Naar

Splatzones will be back in rotation eventually. I'd expect to see it pop up regularly after Splatfest.

So right now the only ranked mode is tower? splatzones will be rotated in later kinda like how the maps are rotated now?

Crayolan

I'm sure anti-blaster tech will be worked soon, it's the first day

remember when rollers were op

I've been calling blasters OP since day one. No one listened. Shit needs a major blast radius reduction. As is you can be standing right on top of a blaster, have them miss, and still get ohko'd by the splash damage of the shot which should be nowhere near you.

phanphare

Banned
Might as well post it here too. From Nintendo's 75th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders Q & A

" I am happy to hear that “Splatoon” for Wii U, a new software title that is not part of a series, was so well-received that it reached 1 million units in sales."

Iwata:

" As some of you may have seen the TV commercials we have been airing recently, “Splatoon” is a brand-new title and not a title from an established series. It has a very unique and fantasy-like setting. This game, inspired by squid squirting out ink, is played by human-shaped characters with squid-like features shooting, instead of squirting, ink at each other, and the team that paints the widest area in its team color wins. Having received high recognition from our consumers for its novelty, this title’s sell-through sales reached 1 million units in less than a month from its release. We feel very grateful for this, since our view was not so optimistic prior to release, for it being a non-series title. "

very nice

noshten

Iwata:

They probably didn't expect a lively playerbase to begin with.
Hence no regional match making and no custom lobbies to start off with.
Those things were just not a priority to begin with I guess and I bet their plan for Splatoon included lowering the price if it hadn't done as well as it has.
Should be interesting whether this changes any of the features they had planned down the line.
I'm guessing there might be another marketing push for August - hopefully in the form of a tournament to kick off the team match making.

So right now the only ranked mode is tower? splatzones will be rotated in later kinda like how the maps are rotated now?

That wouldn't make sense to me, and if Nintendo does it they are hurting the playerbase - some people will prefer Tower while other will prefer Splat Zone I don't see why they would lock away a mode the same way they do with maps. Since expectations are exceeded there is no need to lockaway modes I'm sure you would be able to find enough people for each one.

Geg

They probably didn't expect a lively playerbase to begin with.
Hence no regional match making and no custom lobbies to start off with.
Those things were just not a priority to begin with I guess and I bet their plan for Splatoon included lowering the price if it hadn't done as well as it has.
Should be interesting whether this changes any of the features they had planned down the line.
I'm guessing there might be another marketing push for August - hopefully in the form of a tournament to kick off the team match making.

Yeah someone in the main Q+A thread said that a lot of the design decisions in Splatoon that people complain about seem tailored for a game they didn't expect to have a large player base and this definitely supports that idea. I doubt they would have made only one ranked mode available at a time if they expected this kind of reception

Zero²

That wouldn't make sense to me, and if Nintendo does it they are hurting the playerbase - some people will prefer Tower while other will prefer Splat Zone I don't see why they would lock away a mode the same way they do with maps. Since expectations are exceeded there is no need to lockaway modes I'm sure you would be able to find enough people for each one.
Well looking at how the tweaked with the Splatfests after the Japanese one had problems, I think they might actively change things around this time, which is rare for Nintendo.

noshten

Yeah someone in the main Q+A thread said that a lot of the design decisions in Splatoon that people complain about seem tailored for a game they didn't expect to have a large player base and this definitely supports that idea. I doubt they would have made only one ranked mode available at a time if they expected this kind of reception

Only one ranked mode would be a bad decision.

I hope they reconsider if they are truly planning this.

I'm still hoping we are getting a few day/s of Tower Mode in Ranked just so people learn the different maps on the new mode before allowing people to choose which mode they want to play. I'm ok with the Map rotation but mode rotation is something I would not be ok with.

Zero²;170674484 said:
Well looking at how the tweaked with the Splatfests before the Japanese one had problems, I think they might actively change things around this time, which is rare for Nintendo.

They don't really have much experience with games like Splatoon, but the team behind the game is gaining invaluable insight regarding Online Games like this at the moment.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Would love to see a "time you were on the tower" stat added to the individual results at the end.

Similarly for Splat Zones, I'd like to see how much ink each person put on the point(s). Combined with K/D, it seems like a better (but imperfect of course) way to judge how you did.

NotLiquid

Wow.

We just demolished a team on Bluefin. Didn't relent at all, no person in the game had more than two kills/deaths. Never let go of the tower.

That was some insane synergy.

Naar

Did anyone notice that the amount of kills per game is MUCH higher in tower control than splatzone?

In splatzone i can get 6-7 kills and 2-3 deaths

in tower control i get 18-21 kills and 8-9 deaths

tower control is just death x.x

Also glad to see players being more offensive in tower control unlike the other modes

backlot

Did anyone notice that the amount of kills per game is MUCH higher in tower control than splatzone?

Also glad to see players being more offensive in tower control unlike the other modes

I had a match last night where all eight players had deaths in the double digits. Super offensive mode at the moment.

je_ssi e

Thank you Tower Control for A+. Aha!
I've been bouncing up/down A for a while now and finally broke through to the promised land. I won every game I played today.

If I lost it all now I wouldn't even care.
I made it.

Send me back to C- Squid Overlords! You'll see my not care face.

Because the area you need to defense become smaller and smaller.

In turf war you defense the whole map.

In Splat zone you defense a small part of the map.

In tower control you defense a small tower that barely fits four squids.

Now imagine the Rainmaker mode...

Because the area you need to defense become smaller and smaller.

In turf war you defense the whole map.

In Splat zone you defense a small part of the map.

In tower control you defense a small tower that barely fits four squids.

Now imagine the Rainmaker mode...
Rainmaker is going to be nuts. Capture the flag modes and bring them back always have hilarious moments

Naar

I had a match last night where all eight players had deaths in the double digits. Super offensive mode at the moment.

yup i love how offensive people are playing right now. every match is so intense

For some reason i play better when a game is played like this. I am scoring much higher and winning more games in tower than in the other modes

Top Bottom