• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

bart64

Banned
Yeah I play fps on PC mainly and have done since ut99 so thumbsticks always feel awful to me which is why I wanted to try gyro, I'm still sticking with it for now but it is weird and I'd have preferred the uncharted way too.
Something that helped me was to imagine that the gun is attached to the middle of the gamepad, and that I'm pointing that gun at different parts of the screen instead of flailing wildly. It still takes a while to reconcile whether to turn with the gyro or stick, or even the y button, so give it some time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Doing well at the Tower this morning. I switched to the dirty blaster side and I'm usually top of the team now. Seems there are better teams this morning too. No more people ignoring the tower every other match, while they go for splats. It's still not my playstyle though. I feel like I'm the only one here that actually prefers Splat Zones. I do enjoy switching up gear and going with things like Comeback and Quick Respawn though.

Geg

I don't Y-turn.
Should I?

I could never get used to it. If someone behind me is shooting at me I just swim away to try to get a better view of them before firing back. It might be more useful for close range weapons like the aerosprays and splattershot jrs

noshten

I feel like I'm the only one here that actually prefers Splat Zones. I do enjoy switching up gear and going with things like Comeback and Quick Respawn though.

You and me both, Tower is too hectic for me - I prefer Splatzone which allows me to play at my own pace.

What sens do you all use with the gyro?

Haven't changed it from the default personally.

fred

I've only played 3 games so far, but this is crazy fun. Not crazy about the controls so far though.

Once you get used to motion controls you'll be cursing any TPS that doesn't have them if you're anything like me.

Am now on B-...time to stop playing because I know that I'm going to go on a losing streak back to C- if I carry on playing for much longer.

Perhaps if enough people post on Miiverse they might allow us to choose between Splat Zone and Tower Control games..?

I don't Y-turn.
Should I?

I don't think it's necessary. With high enough sensitivity, you can turn really fast without it.

Others have mentioned it, but it deserves repeating until it's commonly known: you don't have to hold up the gamepad to aim. In fact, you definitely shouldn't do that. Rest the pad on your lap, either parallel to the ground or at just below a 45 degree angle. Basically, find your comfort zone and press Y to make that your zero point.

Max. It's actually pretty manageable.

How many of you use Y-strafing then?

Never use it, as running one direction while counter turn the camera with the right stick sorta resemble strafing.

bart64

Banned
I don't Y-turn.
Should I?
Only when I need to 180 while being chased on dry ground, otherwise I swim away and turn as I swim. I try to get myself to do it more regularly, and it certainly is faster, but that old habit of panning around while moving is hard to kick. If I can remember to do it more in close combat I think I'll be a better player.

WALKMAN04

Doing well at the Tower this morning. I switched to the dirty blaster side and I'm usually top of the team now. Seems there are better teams this morning too. No more people ignoring the tower every other match, while they go for splats. It's still not my playstyle though. I feel like I'm the only one here that actually prefers Splat Zones. I do enjoy switching up gear and going with things like Comeback and Quick Respawn though.
I like splat zones way better, to me it involves way more skill than tower control, I think tower control is great but it's just people constantly killing each other because you are fighting over a really small area. I rather them just make a death match mode so that you could use skill to kill people instead of just trading kills with the enemy team until your team wins that one battle that allows you to make the push.

Whatever the default is, I have never changed the sensitivity in any game I have ever played I just adapt to it, usually pretty quickly too.

Zemm

I'm trying 3.5 now, was at 1 and that felt too slow. The left and right movement being so much slower than up and down really is throwing me. I dunno if I should only be using the stick to aim left/right or the gyro (obviously using the right stick to make bigger movements, I don't completely ignore it!).

Crayolan

I've noticed it's quite common, even in A ranks, for people to push up but not bring the tower with them. The worst feeling ever is when you kill 2-3 people yourself but die in the process, and then the rest of your team keeps moving forward and lets the tower fall behind.

I've used the default settings since day one.

MrPanic

Been playing Tower Control for the first few times now and I got to say, this gamemode drives my stress-levels so high I can actually feel my blood pressure rising. Dropping quite a few ranks now as well though I don't mind since it really doesn't mean anything in this game. Damn Nintendo though for making a gamemode in which that scumbag blaster weapon is so effective, the cheapness of that weapon irritates me to no end.

So I just finished the single player, and man the final boss is awesome. But what I didn't expect was for the
Great Zapfish to actually stay on the tower afterwards. I can't stop starring at it lol

Mega

Banned
I like splat zones way better, to me it involves way more skill than tower control, I think tower control is great but it's just people constantly killing each other because you are fighting over a really small area. I rather them just make a death match mode so that you could use skill to kill people instead of just trading kills with the enemy team until your team wins that one battle that allows you to make the push.

This is exactly how I feel. This mode has its merits and fun moments, but it feels very dumb compared to Splatzones and even Turf Wars. So much less strategy involved. It's like everyone is rushing out of the trenches toward the no-man's land to die. That and the mode is dominated by blasters and rollers. I will be disappointed if I can't play Ranked Splatzones whenever I want. I can only tolerate a few matches of Tower before feeling I had enough.

I've also stated my desire for a straight deathmatch mode. No objectives to accomplish. Just use the whole map as your battlefield and utilize all the skills you have with main/sub/super weapon, aiming, movement, stealth, aggression, ambush and team coordination to get most kills for the win. It would be a crime to not eventually introduce this. It would be the best mode to showcase against traditional shooters, showing how this game innovates even regular old deathmatch with its original gameplay mechanics.

NotLiquid

Sorry guys didn't mean to mess it up ;___;

ETA: NotLiquid, I messed up your OT. Sorry man!

No hard feelings dude, same thing happened with the first OT, lol

If it makes you feel any better, OT2 had people so excited that it had a whole four replies before I got the chance for a follow-up post.

Neol

As a roller I'm having a bunch of problems with chargers for tower control kelp dome. Too little options to splat them in a timely manner and if there on the upper railing there's no way to really sneak up on one.

maxcriden

No hard feelings dude, same thing happened with the first OT, lol

If it makes you feel any better, OT2 had people so excited that it had a whole four replies before I got the chance for a follow-up post.

Thanks man :) Appreciate it and I appreciate how much work you put into the OT! It looks great.

Malus

I think this may be why I like it more, since it allows me to win more often lol.

Fandangox

This mode is easily the mode where I can get the most kills with the least deaths. Everyone will just rush to the tower so you can safely either hunt down the enemy campers or aim at the tower.

DaBoss

I think I use +2 sensitivity, not sure.

Kelp Dome and Saltspray Rig are so charger friendly, it is crazy. I didn't think anything would be more charger friendly than Turf War on Arowana Mall.

Top Bottom