• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Zing

Banned
We need video recording so I can go back and see what the hell my teammates are doing while three opponents are busy chasing me around for 30 seconds.

Finalow

the MOBA EXPERIENCE is real. finally started playing ranked and oh boy.

- 3v4

- one guy goes 0 - 8 and one 1 - 12

- dc'ed

- "conquer the zone" and team procedes to cover all the rest of the map. meanwhile enemies are getting points

- another 3v4

GGs, C trench is real*. feels like I'm back playing mm in Dota 2.

OryoN

I think it's safe to say I'm gafs best brush lol

Edit: disconnected, joining back

Azure left the bigger impression on me, no offense. I've yet to a faster brusher on the trigger! Guy literally gave me a flogging(lol, that's basically how it looks) in a couple head-on encounters before I could get a couple shots in. That really surprised me! When you're able to swipe the brush that damn fast, you basically just toss the brush's disadvantage right out the window, and open up new play-styles. I had(and will have) to take an unsual level of caution with him, as compared to any other brusher I've played against.

I had a few matches with you today, btw(I was 'JOS'). You're a good brusher. I enjoyed those games!

J@hranimo

Banned
the MOBA EXPERIENCE is real. finally started playing ranked and oh boy.

- 3v4

- one guy goes 0 - 8 and one 1 - 12

- dc'ed

- "conquer the zone" and team procedes to cover all the rest of the map. meanwhile enemies are getting points

- another 3v4

GGs, C trench is real*. feels like I'm back playing mm in Dota 2.

B trench is so much worse.

Trust me :X

Geg

I've still never played against Azure with the brush, I think DaBoss has been the best gaffer with a brush I've played with

Finalow

Azure left the bigger impression on me, no offense. I've yet to a faster brusher on the trigger! Guy literally gave me a flogging(lol, that's basically how it looks) in a couple head-on encounters before I could get a couple shots in. That really surprised me! When you're able to swipe the brush that damn fast, you basically just toss the brush's disadvantage right out the window, and open up new play-styles. I had(and will have) to take an unsual level of caution with him, as compared to any other brusher I've played against.

I had a few matches with you today, btw(I was 'JOS'). You're a good brusher. I enjoyed those games!
I think he was being sarcastic, lol

I like the brush as a weapon but I'm pretty awful with it, not sure however why there is only one brush set when you have like 6 rollers, chargers and 20 shooters. fuck inkstrike as special

B trench is so much worse.

Trust me :X
can't wait.

WALKMAN04

Gaf sarcasm level is zero apparently, u make one joke and everyone jumps on you lol. It was my first day using it, I know I did well, but still got a ways to go if I actually want to use it, which I probably would only to add some variety to my weapon choices, using dual squelchers all the time is a little boring and I haven't even used them this week yet. Your a good player btw would love to play with you some more, I'll try and make space to add you next time I'm on.

Edit: and although I haven't played Daboss's inkbrush in a while, his was the one I was the most scared of

Ooooh, I thought you were a random at first. When I saw you stay after a few matches, I figured you were from GAF, I just didn't know who. GGs.

OryoN

I think he was being sarcastic, lol

My bad. I missed the discussion/context, but really wanted to share that piece anyway.
I do agree, they need more brush sets in the mix. Might encourage more brushers. As is, seeing a (good) brush player is like seeing a rare, nearly extinct animal.

Jims

Just can't beat GuySloth's team tonight. Just can't do it. I want to blame the N5 people on my team (who are clearly stalking me somehow), but he wins when some of them are on his team too! He's like magic with that Carbon Roller!

This is officially like poker now. I refuse to quit when I am this demoralized. I'm buying back in!

(This is also how you lose a lot of money in poker.)

Geg

Just can't beat GuySloth's team tonight. Just can't do it. I want to blame the N5 people on my team (who are clearly stalking me somehow), but he wins when some of them are on his team too! He's like magic with that Carbon Roller!

This is officially like poker now. I refuse to quit when I am this demoralized. I'm buying back in!

(This is also how you lose a lot of money in poker.)

This is how you rank down playing tower control too.

I miss the early days of the carbon roller when no one knew how to use it and they were easy targets

Totakeke

I finally confirmed that when you exit a ranked battle directly into the plaza (maybe turf wars too), the players you just played with are gathered around the entrance of the lobby. Then when you go into another screen then they spread out into the plaza. Pretty nifty.

Geg

I finally confirmed that when you exit a ranked battle directly into the plaza (maybe turf wars too), the players you just played with are gathered around the entrance of the lobby. Then when you go into another screen then they spread out into the plaza. Pretty nifty.

lol you're just now finding that out? Do you usually turn off the game while you're still in the lobby?

Totakeke

lol you're just now finding that out? Do you usually turn off the game while you're still in the lobby?

I had an inkling, but I always go into and out of screens and not directly going around to talking to inklings around the plaza before doing something else. I don't mean that they're just standing in the plaza though, I mean they're only gathered around the entrance to the battle lobby.

This game ticks me off way more than it should.

I've played 14 matches this session.

I've lost 14 matches, yet I've had the most points on EITHER team every single match. Last match, I had 1484 points. The next highest rated team mate on my team had 104. Then 94. Then 32(!?!) How does that even happen?

Then I get put in a room with all chargers. Then I get put against all level 20s (I'm a 20 too) and I have a 4, 6 and 10 on my team. 1800 points....we still lose.

This match...everyone disconnected but me.

Sometimes this game makes it really hard to enjoy itself....

There are some very basic things Nintendo needs to do to make this game just work better overall.

OryoN

Gaf sarcasm level is zero apparently, u make one joke and everyone jumps on you lol. It was my first day using it, I know I did well, but still got a ways to go if I actually want to use it, which I probably would only to add some variety to my weapon choices, using dual squelchers all the time is a little boring and I haven't even used them this week yet. Your a good player btw would love to play with you some more, I'll try and make space to add you next time I'm on.

Edit: and although I haven't played Daboss's inkbrush in a while, his was the one I was the most scared of

* Puts new battery in sarcasm detector*

Hey no sweat. My bad, that's what I get for just popping in and replying to the first post to grab my attention.
Yeah, we had some great games today. I had a slow start, but the level of competition quickly reminded me why I need to bring my A-game when playing with GAF. Wanted to go some more but gamepad needed charge. I like to sit pretty close to tv when playing, but I can't use the charger from that (most comfortable) location. I don't think I've ever played against Daboss's brush.

My NNID is Oryon7

Geg

I had an inkling, but I always go into and out of screens and not directly going around to talking to inklings around the plaza before doing something else. I don't mean that they're just standing in the plaza though, I mean they're only gathered around the entrance to the battle lobby.

Yeah that was what I meant too, usually if I have a lot of fun matches with a group I'll go out there and look at them while they're still gathered together like that. I like wandering the plaza in general though, I don't usually use the touch screen to go places

Maybe you are focusing too heavily on inking and too little on offense.

That's what I thought at first, but I'm averaging 6-7 splats to 1 death a game. Some games a re a lot better, some are a bit worse. Just annoying. I finally won one though...just barely.

WALKMAN04

* Puts new battery in sarcasm detector*

Hey no sweat. My bad, that's what I get for just popping in and replying to the first post to grab my attention.
Yeah, we had some great games today. I had a slow start, but the level of competion quickly reminded me why I need to bring my A-game when playing with GAF. Wanted to go some more but gamepad needed charge. I like to sit pretty close to tv when playing, but I can't use the charger from that (most comfortable) location. I don't think I've ever played against Daboss's brush.

My NNID is Oryon7
Already added you. And don't worry about it hard to read sarcasm lol

ryechu

I can never get over like 10 kills with the e liter on turfwards (edit) . Makes it feel pointless picking the weapon over hte splaterscope except for like 2 maps.

DaBoss

lol whoops, didn't realize it was sarcasm, but I tried saying what I said in a joke-y way. Sorry about that.
There is a graphical effect when you hit someone. It's very clear when you are hitting someone just over a wall. You can see it in this video here when he is shooting at the person.

http://youtu.be/MntmK0pa5xY

Unless you mean something else when you say "hit marker"?
Hmm, I don't think I consciously noticed that, but it feels like I did know about that sub-consciously. Thanks for pointing that out. Yea, that would be a visual indicator of hitting a target, but not satisfactory for what I would like.

How does the effect work when you can't see your target or see the immediate area around them? I imagine it isn't exactly visible with burst bombs if you hit someone that is behind a wall that is tall, but you do get a sound effect for connecting a hit.

J@hranimo

Banned
I think I'm done with ranked until the update. Too much back and forth to consistently go up a rank and I don't have time to pour hours into ranked. Plus I only do it for money now, so I'll just depend on splatfests for my gear rerolls now since I'll just stick with turf wars.

Zing

Banned
How does the effect work when you can't see your target or see the immediate area around them? I imagine it isn't exactly visible with burst bombs if you hit someone that is behind a wall that is tall, but you do get a sound effect for connecting a hit.
The effect is actually large enough to see over walls. I see it all the time when using splat bombs.

This Edea player is making me miss the days of the 96 and splatting people before they even see me.

DaBoss

I always leave Ranked lobbies every game unless it was a close game or if I recognize someone from the lobby.

And when doing this, I sometimes get on Splatoon streams lol. It annoys this one in particular lol.
http://www.twitch.tv/tarolg/v/7608699?t=48m38s
http://www.twitch.tv/tarolg/v/7688567?t=1h31m50s
Yea, I hate that lol. I sometimes want to check what abilities my gear have to see if I should order another player's or not. I have to remember to check my gear through Spyke's re-roll menu instead of the equip menu.
The effect is actually large enough to see over walls. I see it all the time when using splat bombs.
I mean walls like this:
fb9jAUC.jpg

Or throwing bombs to the other side of the center in Blackbelly, or over the walls on the side path to the middle area in Underpass.

Would you still be able to see the effect then?

Azure J

My bad. I missed the discussion/context, but really wanted to share that piece anyway.
I do agree, they need more brush sets in the mix. Might encourage more brushers. As is, seeing a (good) brush player is like seeing a rare, nearly extinct animal.

This post reminds me, is there a place for brush users in Tower Control? I've never brought mine into TC matches just because of all the high power/long range weaponry that dominate most encounters and I'm terrified that all I'd have against it is simple swishswishswish. Sprinklers and Inkstrike don't seem terribly useful outside of protecting space but when would you ever be in the situation to use either if you yourself are on the tower?

Splat Zones there's a strong argument to be made for brushes due to the speed at which they can cover an area and move on or defend it if really necessary (but this is somewhat stage dependent -- I have no idea how bad it gets on Moray), but Tower Control seems rough for the current brush set.

Jims

Good games, GAF. Didn't mean to play so long tonight but when all of GAF was there, I stayed longer. Went on a pretty nice winning streak tonight, even though I don't think I played notably well. I think I just got a lucky roll of the dice. Had some fun little duels with Zing's Jet Squelcher, as he kept putting up those Splash Walls.

After losing against GuySloth so much earlier with the Tentatek, I went into total tryhard mode with my gear, though. I really need to learn how to play other weapons better. Any recommendations for a Dual Squelcher junkie who wants to learn something else? I already play .96 Gal on Ranked.

I like how I told StAiden earlier today "Inkzooka on Urchin to get through" and then he Inkzooka'd me 3 or 4 times in the face! You'd think I would learn.

Hackworth

More splatgaf regulars need to add me 'cause I can't get into these games lol
I want to get good

ID: Haxworth

@Finalow: Yeah, Carbon Roller is faster and I'm pretty sure that's it.

ryechu

question, what's better about the carbon roller in comparison to other rollers? It's just a little bit faster?

A lot faster and more mobile. IT has inkzooka for long and medium range. and burst bombs or medium range 3hkos with dmg up. Fastest kill time at close range. Its a good flanking weapon in the ranked modes, i think its outclassed in turfwar.

Zing

Banned
More splatgaf regulars need to add me 'cause I can't get into these games lol
I want to get good

ID: Haxworth

If/when I back out to change gear, I will add you. My NNID is in my profile here if you get bored.

If by "good" you mean good at punching your controller repeatedly, then you are in the right place.

ryechu

Ok we need a dedicated kas killer. Cuz i cant stop someone from getting into our base when he uses kraken soley to to get behind us. Where is our nozzlenoze.

StAidan

Thanks for the games, GAF. Fun times. My gamepad battery's dying so I guess I'll call it a night.

I like how I told StAiden earlier today "Inkzooka on Urchin to get through" and then he Inkzooka'd me 3 or 4 times in the face! You'd think I would learn.

Hah, I saw Underpass in rotation again and immediately went for the Tentatek. It served me well. I think that gun in general ended up better for me tonight -- I prefer the dual squelcher but needed something with a bit faster kill speed for all the CQC that was going on.

Top Bottom