• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Ahnez

You can do it!!

Damn, your going to have play hard in the next match to get there

lol

30k to level 20 is a lot
its also one whole reroll :p

edit
Well he could potentially get disconnected...

D:

*knocks on wood*

The last one was really laggy

I splatted blaster user, and after that he still shoot 5 times, the last one splatted me

I'll continue later lol its too unstable now
And gamepad running out of battery

WALKMAN04

Daboss we going to win anytime soon lol
Edit: yes team instead of dealing with the enemies in our base on the tower go ink there base

Doorman

Anyone got any tips when it comes to placement and usage of Beakons? In the search for a short-range weapon I tried the Sploosh-o-Matic on a whim yesterday and did decently with it, but I can't help but feel proper beakon utilization is crucial for that build.

I figure a priority goes to speeding up super-jumping in order to get back to a beakon quickly before it's attacked, but what else? Is there a reasonable system for when and where to drop one? Any other gear skills that work particularly well for the Sploosh? I'm currently running sort of a quick jump + comeback + run speed in order to maintain pressure after death.

So Splatfest is upon us, and this is a sort of selfish and strange request of mine, but... anyone have any recommendations for what weapon I should use? This is mostly asking about how well I do with certain weapons and if anyone thinks there's a particular weapon that I excel with or at least have some consistency, based on their experiences with or against me.

Anyone got any tips when it comes to placement and usage of Beakons? In the search for a short-range weapon I tried the Sploosh-o-Matic on a whim yesterday and did decently with it, but I can't help but feel proper beakon utilization is crucial for that build.

I figure a priority goes to speeding up super-jumping in order to get back to a beakon quickly before it's attacked, but what else? Is there a reasonable system for when and where to drop one? Any other gear skills that work particularly well for the Sploosh? I'm currently running sort of a quick jump + comeback + run speed in order to maintain pressure after death.
I think usually I want to place Beakons on high ground, usually near cliffs or walls that enemies can't climb up, and as far away from the spawn as needed. A Beakon that's easily reached by enemies or doesn't save much travel time is usually in a bad place. This is obviously all dependent on how much of the map you control though. On Walleye Warehouse for example if my team managed to secure the middle and I'm feeling confident, I will drop Beakons behind the boxes in the middle area.

Investing in Quick Super Jump for Beakons isn't really worth it from my experiences. I find that having Ink Saver Sub is better in order to offset the weirdly massive ink cost of Beakons so that you have less downtime after placing one.

Geg

Daboss we going to win anytime soon lol
Edit: yes team instead of dealing with the enemies in our base on the tower go ink there base

One of my bullshit tower control matches from two nights ago had one guy who'd just go back to the enemy base in urchin underpass and sit there. Meanwhile it was basically 3 vs 4 because the enemy team would all keep superjumping to the middle and overpower us to take the tower

Speaking of Splatfest..

How is it even possible to get 184 points in a single day? >.>'
If you win every match you play (+3 bonus) and cover at least 400 points worth (2 points) then you will earn 5 points per match, meaning you will need to win at least 37 matches to get 184 points. Each match is 3 minutes, so not including downtime from matchmaking or dud games, that's 111 minutes total. So you could get King/Queen in about 2 hours.

On the other hand, assuming that each match takes 3 minutes and... matchmaking issues will take up the next 7 minutes, then each match you play is 10 minutes, 6 matches per hour, 24 hour splatfest means you play at least 144 matches. Even if you lost each match and covered sub 400 points worth, that would be 1 point per game, putting you at least at the rank below King/Queen.

well that poster was right about one thing

that didn't happen lol

someone went nuts, got banned, and their posts got deleted

Wow that poster got a scary communication error

Pray for him

Did the guy get mad at Splatoon? Or was it a troll?

Anyways, everyone really doesn't see a point for Brush in the ranked modes. Is it because the Brush guy would have to work 10x as hard to get the same results vs another weapon? I would imagine that Brushes can invade bases a bit easier than Rollers, which would force the enemies to have to repaint their stuff. The downside is that they gain access to their special if they repaint. A Quick Respawn set would be really good for that.

WALKMAN04

Did the guy get mad at Splatoon? Or was it a troll?

Anyways, everyone really doesn't see a point for Brush in the ranked modes. Is it because the Brush guy would have to work 10x as hard to get the same results vs another weapon? I would imagine that Brushes can invade bases a bit easier than Rollers, which would force the enemies to have to repaint their stuff. The downside is that they gain access to their special if they repaint. A Quick Respawn set would be really good for that.
Not splatoon related, but Nintendo related. The mods deleted all comments related to it so I probably shouldn't say what exactly

Edit: to answer the brush question Daboss was in my lobby, tower control, earlier experimenting with it and he wasn't doing so well, although he did get better with experience. So I don't think it really has much place in ranked. I'm sure he will comment on it later

Totakeke

Not saying that brush is good for ranked, but I had one ranked match where I was infuriated by one enemy brush user. It was on Port Mackerel, when we were pushing forward to take the enemy zone, then immediately he would take our zone twice as fast. So we would split up to retake our own zone then the enemy would retake their zone. Occasionally he would pop up and take out the people trying to retake our zone too. It made holding two zones incredibly hard. He was also amazing at hiding because I sure don't know how he just bypasses us to get to our zone all the time. Like the moment I retake my zone and leave it, before I even reach the enemy area again, he already retook our zone.

WALKMAN04

Just had an intense match on port splat zones where it ended in a draw with both teams having never had control, both our timers were still at 100 lol

Robotguy

Keep quitting until you get a really, really good team. Then stay in that room for two hours, you'll probably win every match. That's how I did it.
I played several matches with a really good player. We were combining for like 18/3 every match and won every match we had together but then we comm'd out. :(
That was well after I reached Dog Queen though and I was just trying to win as many matches as possible to bring glory to team dog.

Just had an intense match on port splat zones where it ended in a draw with both teams having never had control, both our timers were still at 100 lol
So, did you get 0 points then?

I've had some really competitive matches where it took a couple of minutes for someone to establish control, but I've never had one where no one took control at all.

Geg

Yeah last splatfest it was really hard to hold onto good teams due to all the comm errors. Every time I found a group who worked well together I got about 5 games in before getting kicked out.

The general strategy is sound though, if your teammates are bad, just leave and find another room; don't risk a losing streak by staying with the same bad players for multiple games.

WALKMAN04

I played several matches with a really good player. We were combining for like 18/3 every match and won every match we had together but then we comm'd out. :(
That was well after I reached Dog Queen though and I was just trying to win as many matches as possible to bring glory to team dog.

So, did you get 0 points then?

I've had some really competitive matches where it took a couple of minutes for someone to establish control, but I've never had one where no one took control at all.
Well Judd picked us as the winner we got 1 point plus the win bonus. We should have won anyway because we were right about to take control so Judd made the right decision

Not splatoon related, but Nintendo related. The mods deleted all comments related to it so I probably shouldn't say what exactly

Edit: to answer the brush question Daboss was in my lobby, tower control, earlier experimenting with it and he wasn't doing so well, although he did get better with experience. So I don't think it really has much place in ranked. I'm sure he will comment on it later

Alrighty, that scratches my curiosity itch enough.

What rank are you guys in? I've never seen anyone I know in ranked. =(

Robotguy

Some people say it's random with ties, I'm not sure although we did ink more turf. Didn't get to look at all K/D's but mine was the best

Edit: A+ rank blue
I've also heard people say it's random, but I would imagine they must have some tie-breaker criteria.
I was thinking he might use the teams K/D since players in ranked are sorted by kills at the end of the match rather than points which makes me think Nintendo thinks kills are more relevant to success in ranked than turf inked.

Geg

Most of the people I see here saying they see each other in ranked are A+. I'd imagine the player pool for that rank isn't very large

A- btw, kind of burned out on ranked at the moment

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Y'know, you've gotten a lot better since we first played. =D It's always fun seeing people improve. I can't shut you down as easily as I could before, which makes for very fun games.

I think I hit my plateau, though I'm practicing more little things, especially with my Charger. Had 2 good days in a row, which felt very nice. =D
Hah... I went off on a huge tangent. So Kas, how do you think your Roller compares to Red's? You guys have a different style, which is interesting for me to see. Either way, you've become really effective at invading bases. I'm curious to see what you can do with a brush. =D

Edit: Fell into the "you're" trap. =(

It really depends on the map and who I'm playing with. If it's Bluefin Depot compared to Port Mackerel I have less ground to cover so I'll be doing more rush/kamikaze attacks. I've been working on that - trying to get as close to the enemy as possible and give them a rush them with the ferocity you see someone with the brush do.

But if I'm playing in a room with people that know what they're doing the roller should provide support for my team first and foremost. Usually in Battlefield or Team Fortress games I'll be engineer as opposed to a sniper and that's carried over to Splatoon.

Cover the map by spawn as quick as possible, place beacons and backup chargers, e-liters etc. I'll try to lure the opposing team out, even if it means I die because if I'm playing with good teammates I know they'll pick them off with a charger. You can usually see me out in the open as I'm constantly rotating the camera to see where the opposing team is and I don't like waiting in ink to ambush just one opponent when I should cover the map help teammates.

I really can't wait till we get some matchmaking because this game has so much more potential with teammates coordinating, whether it be turf war, splat zone etc. to see the best strategies for each particular map against another good team who will be planning as well.

Azure J

Edit: A- 30 here Blue. I wonder if it's possible to at least reach A before Splatfest.

It really depends on the map and who I'm playing with. If it's Bluefin Depot compared to Port Mackerel I have less ground to cover so I'll be doing more rush/kamikaze attacks. I've been working on that - trying to get as close to the enemy as possible and give them a rush them with the ferocity you see someone with the brush do.

But if I'm playing in a room with people that know what they're doing the roller should provide support for my team first and foremost. Usually in Battlefield or Team Fortress games I'll be engineer as opposed to a sniper and that's carried over to Splatoon.

Cover the map by spawn as quick as possible, place beacons and backup chargers, e-liters etc. I'll try to lure the opposing team out, even if it means I die because if I'm playing with good teammates I know they'll pick them off with a charger. You can usually see me out in the open as I'm constantly rotating the camera to see where the opposing team is and I don't like waiting in ink to ambush just one opponent when I should cover the map help teammates.

I really can't wait till we get some matchmaking because this game has so much more potential with teammates coordinating, whether it be turf war, splat zone etc. to see the best strategies for each particular map against another good team who will be planning as well.

I really feel like this game, for as popular as it is now, is set to REALLY explode when this stuff launches.

As for the rest of your post, I really appreciated how you'd go down into the trenches on Bluefin and roll around getting enemy attention while I was on charger duty. You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes not having to perch and pray for someone to get overzealous in their attempts to come into our base.

At the same time, this also made me target you a lot whenever I saw that football helmet rolling around on the other side of the stage grounds. If I let you in, all hell breaks loose in the last thirty seconds. :lol

Geg

lol Kas I was so surprised in a match yesterday to go back to my spawn point in the last few seconds of the match to see you rolling around as a kraken right in front of it

Any wishes for maps in this Splatfest? I Hope we get the skatepark and saltspray. I don't mind what the third could be.

What did we have last time in Europe? It was like Walleye, Port Mackerel and.... something I forget since it never came up (Urchin maybe?).

Personally I want Arowana, Bluefin and Walleye, really don't want something like Kelp Dome or Saltspray to pop up in Splatfest until they add the Octobrush to the game.

What I hope is that the given mode is something else than Turf. But it probably isn't as both splat zone and tower have been labeled "ranked" and thus probably considered to be too competetive by the developers.

J@hranimo

Banned
What did we have last time in Europe? It was like Walleye, Port Mackerel and.... something I forget since it never came up (Urchin maybe?).

Personally I want Arowana, Bluefin and Walleye, really don't want something like Kelp Dome or Saltspray to pop up in Splatfest until they add the Octobrush to the game.

Saltspray, Blackbelly and Arowana Mall seem like they'd be the prime suspects for this Splatfest.

I legit forgot about the Mall lol. Idk if I can do 24 hours of that map possibly popping up.

taparoo

Keep quitting until you get a really, really good team. Then stay in that room for two hours, you'll probably win every match. That's how I did it.

I thought of doing this last splatfest, but I landed on a really bad team and decided it was probably more beneficial for the greater good to carry that team and help them win ~50% of their games, rather than steamroll with a team that probably would have won most of their games without me anyway.

Plus, we pulled off a bunch of really close victories against "better" teams and I started getting the feels.... even though you can barely interact with your teammates haha.

In the end, it was all for nil since dogs are more popular than cats.

Ahnez

I think I probably got almost 500 last time.

If you win all your matches, it should just take about 2 hours.

If you win every match you play (+3 bonus) and cover at least 400 points worth (2 points) then you will earn 5 points per match, meaning you will need to win at least 37 matches to get 184 points. Each match is 3 minutes, so not including downtime from matchmaking or dud games, that's 111 minutes total. So you could get King/Queen in about 2 hours.

On the other hand, assuming that each match takes 3 minutes and... matchmaking issues will take up the next 7 minutes, then each match you play is 10 minutes, 6 matches per hour, 24 hour splatfest means you play at least 144 matches. Even if you lost each match and covered sub 400 points worth, that would be 1 point per game, putting you at least at the rank below King/Queen.

Okay, thanks lol

Azure J

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm going to be getting an Elgato HD60 this Saturday. I'm new to streaming though so I'd accept any pointers folks might have for me. I'm also going to see if I can get some other game streams going. I hope SplatGAF gets into Splatfest rooms with me while I test things out. #TeamWaterSlide is going major.

It's alright, you only missed the laggiest man in the world. Splatting me 6 seconds after the fact.

Heh, I guess he got the last laugh with that disconnect.

I'll be back on after I have something to eat. If you see me, feel free to join.

Top Bottom