• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

ngower

New map looks awesome. Most excited about Team Matchmaking. Now I can finally play with GAF :')

Side note: last night I was playing and started getting kind of nauseous. First time I can recall that happening with any game. Has anyone else had some sort of motion sickness with Splatoon, or any of the jerkier motion controlled games (I think the pace of the cursor did it for me).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This is it right?

Well thanks everyone. Gonna give this some thought. Look at other games that may make me want to get the console.

That's just a blank page for me, maybe because it's Canadian and I'm in the U.S., but if it's the Wii U box with Splatoon all over it then that's it. It costs as much as a regular new Wii U, it just comes with Splatoon (and Nintendo Land) instead of Mario Kart 8 or Super Mario 3D World (and Nintendo Land).

Another option is to get a refurbished Wii U straight from Nintendo for $200. It only comes with Nintendo Land. Then buy Splatoon from Best Buy with GCU for $48.

That's just a blank page for me, maybe because it's Canadian and I'm in the U.S., but if it's the Wii U box with Splatoon all over it than that's it. It costs as much as a regular new Wii U, it just comes with Splatoon (and Nintendo Land) instead of Mario Kart 8 or Super Mario 3D World (and Nintendo Land).

Another option is to get a refurbished Wii U straight from Nintendo for $200. It only comes with Nintendo Land. Then buy Splatoon from Best Buy with GCU for $48.

Yeah I'm from Canada aha. I'm gonna pay my closest Best Buy a visit and see how I feel once I get there. I have the extra cash, I just don't want to end up regretting spending over $300 for nothing, knowing how I am

Best match ever for me yesterday. The other team was constantly pushing into our base (Tower control), going as far down as 33 seconds remaining, while my team never went beyond 90 I think.
Then in a last pull we finish at 32 seconds. Game over. Man they must have been pissed.

Managed 19 vs. 11 kills, the best I've ever gotten. My heart was beating so much after the match, I had to stop playing ;-)

Generally I found that I can't play Splatoon too late at night because it's just too stressful lol
feeling old now

Mohonky

Question on Perks and Brands.

I know each brand has more likelihood of getting certain perks, but is this only when the gear is upgraded through experience or does this also apply to 'remodelling' via Spyke? ie. Is the chance multiplier in effect when remodelling or only when gear gets upgraded?

backlot

Question on Perks and Brands.

I know each brand has more likelihood of getting certain perks, but is this only when the gear is upgraded through experience or does this also apply to 'remodelling' via Spyke? ie. Is the chance multiplier in effect when remodelling or only when gear gets upgraded?

It applies to both.

Probably won't stop for a while, there are still a ton of unreleased weapons. This will be the last stage on disc for a total of 10 stages, but they teased 14 back in the Splatoon direct, and the ads for Splatoon during EVO claimed there would be more new stages in August too.

The gift that keeps giving.

Wonder if the extra 4 will be paid DLC. That would piss me off. Bad enough they locked a bunch of content behind amiibos.

VICI0US

The gift that keeps giving.

Wonder if the extra 4 will be paid DLC. That would piss me off. Bad enough they locked a bunch of content behind amiibos.

eh, the amiibo content is pretty trivial honestly. you're replaying the existing single player stages for cosmetic gear with the same stats as stuff that's already in the game.

I did all the challenges for the girl inkling and haven't even bothered doing the other boy/squid challenges yet.

the weapons are just reskins of your basic charger/roller/splattershot with the same sub-weapon loadouts and the gear are just 2 slot items which you can purchase better versions of in the stores.

phanphare

Banned
eh, the amiibo content is pretty trivial honestly. you're replaying the existing single player stages for cosmetic gear with the same stats as stuff that's already in the game.

I did all the challenges for the girl inkling and haven't even bothered doing the other boy/squid challenges yet.

the weapons are just reskins of your basic charger/roller/splattershot with the same sub-weapon loadouts and the gear are just 2 slot items which you can purchase better versions of in the stores.

I wish I could unlock those extra mini-games though

With Camp Triggerfish added to the stage roation I wonder if it'll open up to stages with more dynamic elements in them.

We have had a few moving elements in stages so, (trucks in port, crane in saltspray), but the mechanic in Triggerfish seems much more crucial to the flow of the battle.

I've always said that some of the mechanics from the single player mode would be really entertaining to have in multiplayer stages. Ziplines for risky fast travel (enemis would probably be able to kill you while traversing the line, and perhaps change to ink color of the line entirely dooming your transportation), sponge blocks to alter the environment, ink gusher for a fast rush into enemy territory, propellers to cut off part of the stage, etc.

On the other hand, if too many mechanics are put to use or perhaps make the experience too chaotic(see stage hazards of smash) it could end up being a detriment of the gameplay.

Robotguy

How many snails/money you got? It takes around 37 rerolls to pass the 50% chance of getting 3 same favored subs if I remember correctly.
Odds of rolling 3 of the favored sub are approximately 1/36.
I think it's probably better to unlock more gear or roll for 2X subs on other gear first before going for perfect rolls unless you really want that last sub.

I got this a few days ago. Does anyone know if the August update will allow you to search with 2 or 3 people or does it have to be a party of 4? Also, will this include Ranked as well as Regular?

Odds of rolling 3 of the favored sub are approximately 1/36.
I think it's probably better to unlock more gear or roll for 2X subs on other gear first before going for perfect rolls unless you really want that last sub.
Yea 2x subs is what I'm going to stick with trying for 3 never works for me

With Camp Triggerfish added to the stage roation I wonder if it'll open up to stages with more dynamic elements in them.

We have had a few moving elements in stages so, (trucks in port, crane in saltspray), but the mechanic in Triggerfish seems much more crucial to the flow of the battle.

I've always said that some of the mechanics from the single player mode would be really entertaining to have in multiplayer stages. Ziplines for risky fast travel (enemis would probably be able to kill you while traversing the line, and perhaps change to ink color of the line entirely dooming your transportation), sponge blocks to alter the environment, ink gusher for a fast rush into enemy territory, propellers to cut off part of the stage, etc.

On the other hand, if too many mechanics are put to use or perhaps make the experience too chaotic(see stage hazards of smash) it could end up being a detriment of the gameplay.

What's camps triggers mechanics?

Are main abilities more powerful than sub abilities? Like will have two main Damage Ups increase my damage more than two sub Damage Ups?

Mains are more powerful than subs. It takes approximately 3 subs to equal 1 main (depends on the ability). So in your example it would take about 6 sub Damage Ups to equal 2 main Damage Ups.

phanphare

Banned
I got this a few days ago. Does anyone know if the August update will allow you to search with 2 or 3 people or does it have to be a party of 4? Also, will this include Ranked as well as Regular?

I don't think we have many details other than what was announced in the Splatoon Direct

Geg

Are main abilities more powerful than sub abilities? Like will have two main Damage Ups increase my damage more than two sub Damage Ups?

Yeah, in most cases three sub abilities is equal to one main ability.

But keep in mind damage up is a weird stat because shooting weapons have a damage cap where you can't increase damage so much it decreases the amount of shots it takes to kill. So the jet squelcher for example will never take less than 4 shots to go from 0 to splat. Chargers can get a lot of use out of them though because it decreases the time you need to charge to get a KO

But still. Those challenges are the types of things that I find enjoyable and add longevity to a game, regardless of "reward." And I think I'm more pissed about the gamepad NES style games being locked out. Squid Jump was fun, but got old quick. it's a good idea that should have had more games in rotation.

Neoxon

Soon

Yk620fm.jpg

Nice. Finally

looks like they started teasing something... August update related?
CKlkKF-VAAA6v04.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/624140149736079360

translation by PushDustIn
lazy to translate on my own

The art was floating around for awhile but nice to see it officially posted.
Pretty cute. Those octolings without goggles

Splatoon Tumblr / Splatoonus posted it too

" We’ve received a sketch from one of our researchers. Looks like an Octoling… Hey! We’ve seen this before. Looks like a false alarm. Wait a minute. Something’s different here… Whoa! WHOOOOA! "

splatoon squidlab nintendo wiiu octoling guess she got lasik

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/124899141184/weve-received-a-sketch-from-one-of-our

Squid Beatz is awesome, if the amiibo was sold outside of the 3-pack I'd buy it just for it. Luckily I have friends to mooch off of.

is there a joke here I'm not getting?

I'm guessing the joke is that they don't need the goggles to see anymore, not that it was ever revealed if the Octoling NEEDED them to see or not.

Mains are more powerful than subs. It takes approximately 3 subs to equal 1 main (depends on the ability). So in your example it would take about 6 sub Damage Ups to equal 2 main Damage Ups.

Yeah, in most cases three sub abilities is equal to one main ability.

But keep in mind damage up is a weird stat because shooting weapons have a damage cap where you can't increase damage so much it decreases the amount of shots it takes to kill. So the jet squelcher for example will never take less than 4 shots to go from 0 to splat. Chargers can get a lot of use out of them though because it decreases the time you need to charge to get a KO

Oh... well, that's good to know, better late than never...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Decided to put together a changelog of every Splatoon update for funsies. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. All dates are North American, so add a day for Europe and Japan.

Patches, new game modes and Splat Fests are highlighted, new stages are bold, new weapons are plaintext:

May 29: Splatoon released (29 weapons plus three Amiibo-unlocked weapons, five maps, Battle Dojo, Octo Valley, Regular Battles, Turf War)
June 1: Added: Ranked Battles, Splat Zones, Port Mackerel and N-ZAP '85
June 2: Patch Version 1.2 (fixed a glitch with Spyke not taking money and stabilized Booyah Base framerate)
June 5: Added: Inkbrush
June 10: Added: Kelp Dome
June 12: Added: Splash-o-matic
June 16: Added: L-3 Nozzlenose, Custom E-Liter 3K
June 19: Added: Bluefin Depot
June 23: Added: Luna Blaster
June 26: Added: Custom Dual Squelcher, Carbon Roller
June 30: Patch Version 1.3 (with balance patch: Kraken, Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump nerfed)
July 1: Added: Tower Control
July 4: First Splatfest
July 7: Added: Sploosh-o-matic, .96 Gal Deco
July 10: Added: Moray Towers
July 17: Added: N-ZAP '89, Octobrush
July 18: Second Splatfest
July 21: Added: Neo Splash-o-matic, E-Liter 3K Scope
July 24: Added: Camp Triggerfish

Gonna try to join you guys tonight still trying to get my newborn son on a sleep schedule but he gets up to eat every hour and half lol

Congrats! How old is he? I got a 10 months old daughter. Luckily she has slept through pretty much every night since birth. But then again, it's not until around 9 in the evening that the wife and I have time, currently all taken by Splatoon. We sit and take turns every now and then while commentating each others play. Had I been a teenager when this game came out I would have been absolutely obsessed about it.

Congrats! How old is he? I got a 10 months old daughter. Luckily she has slept through pretty much every night since birth. But then again, it's not until around 9 in the evening that the wife and I have time, currently all taken by Splatoon. We sit and take turns every now and then while commentating each others play. Had I been a teenager when this game came out I would have been absolutely obsessed about it.
Thanks! A few months he was born early on April 29th we have a 6 year old she likes to dress up my squid and use the shooting range. I haven't let her online yet might be too hard for her

J@hranimo

Banned
Decided to put together a changelog of every Splatoon update for funsies. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. All dates are North American, so add a day for Europe and Japan.

Patches, new game modes and Splat Fests are highlighted, new stages are bold, new weapons are plaintext:

May 29: Splatoon released (29 weapons plus three Amiibo-unlocked weapons, five maps, Battle Dojo, Octo Valley, Regular Battles, Turf War)
June 1: Added: Ranked Battles, Splat Zones, Port Mackerel and N-ZAP '85
June 2: Patch Version 1.2 (unknown adjustments)
June 5: Added: Inkbrush
June 10: Added: Kelp Dome
June 12: Added: Splash-o-matic
June 16: Added: L-3 Nozzlenose, Custom E-Liter 3K
June 19: Added: Bluefin Depot
June 23: Added: Luna Blaster
June 26: Added: Custom Dual Squelcher, Carbon Roller
June 30: Patch Version 1.3 (with balance patch: Kraken, Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump nerfed)
July 1: Added: Tower Control
July 4: First Splatfest
July 7: Added: Sploosh-o-matic, .96 Gal Deco
July 10: Added: Moray Towers
July 17: Added: N-ZAP '89, Octobrush
July 18: Second Splatfest
July 21: Added: Neo Splash-o-matic, E-Liter 3K Scope
July 24: Added: Camp Triggerfish

I think 1.2 got rid of that Spyke glitch that was helping people keep their money or something like that.

Geg

It also improved the framerate in the plaza. It's still not a full 60 now, but at launch it was down at 30fps I think

jnWake

B+ is truly hell in ranked. I've been so stuck there lately haha. It doesn't help that I try new weapons in almost every play session either, although I had lot of fun trying the E-Liter yesterday. The range is ridiculous.

Top Bottom