• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Crayolan

Congratulations Japan for finally breaking Team Callie's hot streak

Y8r9IPY.gif

I can't hold it against them. I would go with Milk Ink too.

lol

Replays when?

This hacker changed the special gauge charge rate so that it builds up very fast.
http://www.twitch.tv/nwplayer123/v/8599515

Is this the first online hack on Wii U? One other well-known Mario Kart Wii/8 hacker claimed online multiplayer cheats were not possible yet because the exploit required using an old Wii U firmware version 5.3.2 (see description of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmyDODvsx4M ).

This worries me a lot because Nintendo's response to online cheaters in the past has been downright pathetic (cf. Mario Kart Wii's cheater-infested online mode).

DaBoss

You can hide here on Saltspray Rig.
You need to place a Suction Bomb on the corner so it sticks on that wall.

I actually got a kill by doing this. A teammate was super jumping to me which meant their icon would appear on the ground next to the crates cause that was the last place I was standing on. But an enemy team member saw it (I think it was SM239), so he got ready to kill my teammate, so I popped up out of the wall and got him.

I was running away from someone who was chasing me and I believe SM239 saw me as well, but I was hiding, so yea.

Also, you can do this on the Rig as well:
You can just swim and fall (or jump, which would be safer) from the top and then go on to the wall. Though this is more like an escape route for a charger that may be up there and the enemy team is pushing in. Not very useful otherwise.
That's cool.
This hacker changed the special gauge charge rate so that it builds up very fast.

Is this the first online hack on Wii U? One other well-known Mario Kart Wii/8 hacker claimed online multiplayer cheats were not possible yet because the exploit required using an old Wii U firmware version 5.3.2 (see description of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmyDODvsx4M ).

This worries me a lot because Nintendo's response to online cheaters in the past has been downright pathetic (cf. Mario Kart Wii's cheater-infested online mode).
Ugh, I thought it wouldn't work online. :/

Tried to play the new map yesterday but it wasn't in the rotation. Ugh. The more maps there are, the less likely you'll get a certain one with the two map rotation. Hopefully they add a three map one. Honestly the whole 'no choices, just wait' philosophy of the game is sucking the fun out for me. I understand their reasoning but I dont agree with it or think its particularly worth it considering every single other shooter has some sort of choice system (or at least has random maps cycling between the whole selection, instead of two maps)

J@hranimo

Banned
You need to release quicker jahra. I was able to exploit your hesitance a number of times. That said, I may be misremembering it. You were either releasing too early or too late most of the time.
is blue to blame for your awful habit of using bombs? You were extremely effective and annoying with those.

Oh and Heng, I still hate your blaster.

Whaaat? You were killing me despite what I was using. :(

Jahra, you're annoyingly good with your burst bombs. Blue has hell to pay if he was the one who taught you how to use it.

Actually it was more so I was both releasing too quick for inking places and holding my charge to really aim and follow my opponent. I was trying to be a bit more mobile with it even though the large charge time plus the zoom in shrinks my viewpoint. I'll probably have to get more damage ups to use it while being more mobile. It's why I went to the splatterscope briefly later on. Thanks for the advice though, I'll definitely practice the E Liters more to keep up with the rest of Splatgaf.

Also I didn't really learn from Blue how to use burst bombs, I started using them in early-mid June when I got my Squid amiibo. I actually hated using them because I thought they were "too weak" and didn't kill anyone. When I got the Hero Shot through the amiibo challenges I wanted to use that weapon because it looked so cool and I saw the light of the burst bombs and their potential. I was probably a bit more annoying last night because I had one bomb throw sub ability :)

Haha! I did something similar to this on the Port except with a killer wail and it was in one of the enemy's hallways to their base and it was the last 10 seconds. So. Good.

Whooa, Urchin Underpass looked really cool and open last year. Although I'm pretty happy with the changes we got in the final game. That left section right before the choke point into the central area would've been terrible if they kept it like the E3 build. The area near the base is neat despite the lack of the higher perch going into the central area. Also lol that random water tower and they made sure to keep at least one of the trees in the final build.

Sorry for so many words but I really, really like Urchin :p

I think they'll add voice chat with friends.

When Nintendo just announced the new test fire in Japan, someone caught that there's "voice chat" listed in the test fire e-shop page, Nintendo deleted it really soon.

phanphare

Banned
I love this game so much, I just wish it had voice chat :'( I felt that way about Mario Kart, but now even more so

honestly if they want to be weird about it just allow voice chat in between friend matches and the ability to change gear, either full on or a few presets

that way you can at least strategize for a bit in between matches with your team and see if anyone needs to change weapons or not

J@hranimo

Banned
I think they'll add voice chat with friends.

When Nintendo just announced the new test fire in Japan, someone caught that there's "voice chat" listed in the test fire e-shop page, Nintendo deleted it really soon.

!!!!

Now before I get really excited, can I get a source?

Vena

He seems to be keeping this to himself, at least. They'll need to add in some flags.

Also, for those wondering, Sm4sh got hacked as well with modifiers but no one bothered to take it online.

Vena

Weird what's the point of doing another one?

Have you seen sales in Japan? The game is an outright phenomenon. They are just working to continue growing the community and keep the game moving copies as well as stay at the top of people's minds. Its also summer vacation now for the young kids.

Mexen

I've lurked Splatoon GAF (I was gonna go with SplatGAF or GAFoon but they just sounds silly) on and off since |OT1| but I couldn't lurk this one any further as Feel Good Inc. is one of my favourite songs and next weekend there's a competition with all sorts of games from FIFA to Tekken to Smash Bros. to Splatoon. I cannot wait. I'm signed up for Smash Bros. and Splatoon!

Fresh OT as always.

DaBoss

Splatoon's eShop listing also had Off-TV Play before release, but we know that's not the case.

------
Tried out the Jet Squelcher in Ranked and apparently you can cap the opposite zone from the upper platform area on the right side. Place a wall there and you can control that area well.

In some of the matches, I was such a problem that they were using killer wails, inkzookas, and inkstrikes near me. Though going back there is hard if the area below isn't cleared up, so I just go to the left side if I get killed while on the right side.

Jahra, you're annoyingly good with your burst bombs. Blue has hell to pay if he was the one who taught you how to use it.

15/17
You need to release quicker jahra. I was able to exploit your hesitance a number of times. That said, I may be misremembering it. You were either releasing too early or too late most of the time.
is blue to blame for your awful habit of using bombs? You were extremely effective and annoying with those.

I'm dying here lol. =D

Actually it was more so I was both releasing too quick for inking places and holding my charge to really aim and follow my opponent. I was trying to be a bit more mobile with it even though the large charge time plus the zoom in shrinks my viewpoint. I'll probably have to get more damage ups to use it while being more mobile. It's why I went to the splatterscope briefly later on. Thanks for the advice though, I'll definitely practice the E Liters more to keep up with the rest of Splatgaf.

Also I didn't really learn from Blue how to use burst bombs, I started using them in early-mid June when I got my Squid amiibo. I actually hated using them because I thought they were "too weak" and didn't kill anyone. When I got the Hero Shot through the amiibo challenges I wanted to use that weapon because it looked so cool and I saw the light of the burst bombs and their potential. I was probably a bit more annoying last night because I had one bomb throw sub ability :)
Oh ok, at least now Red and Heng won't hunt me down whenever they're on the same team or refuse to give me any support to me if on opposite teams. =P

Jesus just had a session where I got quite fired up. Splatzone on kelp all the time, Japanese players all over the place. And these two krak on rollers were fucking impossible to splat. Everytime I encountered one of them I would hit them from a far and they would always avoid that last kill shot only to close in on me and kill me. 6 games in a row on kelp dome and these two guys always on the enemy team... Finally won a game and they left >:)

Jesus just had a session where I got quite fired up. Splatzone on kelp all the time, Japanese players all over the place. And these two krak on rollers were fucking impossible to splat. Everytime I encountered one of them I would hit them from a far and they would always avoid that last kill shot only to close in on me and kill me. 6 games in a row on kelp dome and these two guys always on the enemy team... Finally won a game and they left >:)

At least you didn't have people running to the far edges on Kelp like a match I had.

WALKMAN04

Yup. It's the only special which can plausibly quad kill on its own. Killer Wail and Inkstrike have such long windups with warning visuals :(
I've gotten a quad kill with both the killer wail and inkzooka. The inkzooka was in a game of tower control on bluefin to take control of the tower and finish the push into the end. The quad kill with the killer wail was a little lucky though, I saw two enemy team members on top of the right perch, from their base, on urchin pulled out the killer wail and next thing I know I got 4 kills, SM239 can vouch for me on this one, he was one of the ones who got killed lol.

Geg

You can hide here on Saltspray Rig.

You need to place a Suction Bomb on the corner so it sticks on that wall.

I actually got a kill by doing this. A teammate was super jumping to me which meant their icon would appear on the ground next to the crates cause that was the last place I was standing on. But an enemy team member saw it (I think it was SM239), so he got ready to kill my teammate, so I popped up out of the wall and got him.

I was running away from someone who was chasing me and I believe SM239 saw me as well, but I was hiding, so yea.
I saw you get into hiding position there I think, it was immediately after you killed me so I was able to see you swim there before I rewspawned

Geg

I got a triple kill with the killer wail once, on three people trying to come through one of the choke points in underpass. Still no quad yet

Hmm anyone with tips on Killer Wail usage? When Camp Triggerfish showed up on Friday night I decided to go Custom Dual Squelcher because I thought the weapon's loadout made the most sense there.

a) Dual Squelcher has good range and decent firing rate.
b) Beakons for mobility and to help other players get back to the front lines without having to go through the gauntlet.
c) Killer Wail to break Chargers out of position and to fire down the long lane from the enemy spawn.

I think I got kills pretty consistently with the Killer Wail on Camp, which to me was surprising since I generally don't expect kills from it at all (at least nowadays).

On Blackbelly Skatepark I was attempting blind shots of Killer Wail more often. Sometimes I would try to aim a Killer Wail at the top of the tower without seeing it, then when I get around the corner I see that I've aimed a little too high, haha. There also doesn't seem to be a particularly good corridor to exploit with Killer Wail on Skatepark.

Wow, a Splattershot with Splat Bombs and Inkzooka special... that could be quite dangerous, but I still think I like how the Tentatek Splattershot turned out :p

DaBoss

If you have a Kraken you can also hide in tons of little places like this by using it to lay a patch of paint down.
Yea, but it's just too narrow for any turns around walls or moving sideways.
True, but this is after release. Why change the e-Shop page at all?
I thought it was the Testfire eShop page that had Voice Chat listed and not the actual game?
Hmm anyone with tips on Killer Wail usage? When Camp Triggerfish showed up on Friday night I decided to go Custom Dual Squelcher because I thought the weapon's loadout made the most sense there.

b) Beakons for mobility and to help other players get back to the front lines without having to go through the gauntlet.
c) Killer Wail to break Chargers out of position and to fire down the long lane from the enemy spawn.

I think I got kills pretty consistently with the Killer Wail on Camp, which to me was surprising since I generally don't expect kills from it at all (at least nowadays).

On Blackbelly Skatepark I was attempting blind shots of Killer Wail more often. Sometimes I would try to aim a Killer Wail at the top of the tower without seeing it, then when I get around the corner I see that I've aimed a little too high, haha. There also doesn't seem to be a particularly good corridor to exploit with Killer Wail on Skatepark.
Line it up so it goes straight on any of the main pathways on the map. It is probably the Killer Wail's best map since mobility is limited.

On Azure's stream, some guy used a Killer Wail against his team and it pretty much forced everyone on his team to jump into the water lol.

EDIT: Whoops, thought you were just talking about Killer Wails on Camp.

For Kelp Dome, the best way to get a kill with it is to punish anyone coming for a revenge kill at the sides. In Splat Zones however, just aim it towards the center from one of the corners of the map. I've gotten a few kills that way.

Geg

Yeah on maps like Skatepark and Kelp Dome there aren't really many good uses for killer wail other than just aim at the spawn area and hope you catch someone. On maps like Moray Towers it's great for aiming at sniper perches. And a single killer wail blast can cover almost the whole center choke point area in Arowana Mall.

If all else fails, if I know I'm in a safe place I'll look at the map and try to see where the enemy's ink is advancing or if there are any firefights going on and aim it in that general direction. Managed to get a few kills that way.

Edit: Haha yeah I've had some people fall in water before to avoid my killer wail, on Arowana and Bluefin.

Is there a way to check which maps are in rotation without being by my Wii U? Just back from a decently long vacation and haven't gotten to play Moray Towers and I really would love to

Heng

Is there a way to check which maps are in rotation without being by my Wii U? Just back from a decently long vacation and haven't gotten to play Moray Towers and I really would love to
I usually check twitch and see the maps the people are playing. If anyone knows a better way, I would like to know as well. Splatton.ink is no longer up to date.

Top Bottom