• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Geg

The Japanese twitter made a post about the new modes, reposting this from the thread about the update

Yeah this is actually some important info about squad battles:

ちなみに、3人でタッグを組むこともできるが、扱いは4人タッグと同じだ。 3人対4人の対戦になるので、腕に自信のあるプレイヤーにだけオススメしたい。 なお、タッグマッチでもポイントは入手でき、ウデマエも上下するそうだ。
"By the way, you can make a squad of only three players, but it's treated the same as a group of four. This will lead to 3 vs. 4 matches, so it should only be used by players confident in their skills. Additionally, it seems you still gain points in squad battles and can raise and lower your rank."

Crayolan

Stop playing campy E=Liter then, Go Ninja Burst Bomb Charger. =D

Especially so when 3 of them are against you. D= ChargerGAF was almost always on the other team. I was a lone sniper in a lot of those games. =(

Was literally my 3rd time ever using the E-Liter, so I'm not good at figuring out what to do besides camp. On most other maps I can at least approach or find hidden spots to snipe from but none of that works on Arowana. =/

They weren't kidding when they said the other bands would have a completely different music style. Looking forward to hearing all the songs.

J@hranimo

Banned
The Japanese twitter made a post about the new modes, reposting this from the thread about the update

"By the way, you can make a squad of only three players, but it's treated the same as a group of four. This will lead to 3 vs. 4 matches, so it should only be used by players confident in their skills. Additionally, it seems you still gain points in squad battles and can raise and lower your rank."

440.gif

Excellent. This is all the information I need.

*Fastens seat belt*

I'm ready for August 5th.

Wow, had the worst "sniper" player ever. How do you only get 69 points and not DC is beyond me.
He was going for that specific score. Duh. Do you know if he stopped firing at any point? I know that a max Splat Charger shot that doesn't get impeded by anything will give 23 points IIRC, so just 3 shots and there you go. He could've also been hardcore camping and just repainting your team's turf.
Was literally my 3rd time ever using the E-Liter, so I'm not good at figuring out what to do besides camp. On most other maps I can at least approach or find hidden spots to snipe from but none of that works on Arowana. =/

They weren't kidding when they said the other bands would have a completely different music style. Looking forward to hearing all the songs.

Have you played using the Squiffer? You can use other Chargers in a similar style if you invest in at least 1 Damage Up. It's a fun playstyle that Heng, Azure, Ryechu and I use. It's less campy. With E-Liter, you can hide on walls and ambush with Burst Bombs if you feel like it. I haven't experimented with the mall much in that regard.

I've noticed that my win rate vs other E-Liters when having a Burst Bomb duel has tanked hard. It's probably at 20% or so. Still, it's really fun when me and my opponent run out of ink because it becomes a mindgame and a game of prediction. We've had those moments at Camp sometimes. =D I still think Heng and I had the best E-Liter BB duel that's happened in the game. Would've been great if it was recorded. =P A full maybe 15-25 second duel around a sandbag in a tight space at Walleye.

Wait wtf? How come my team of 2 A- and 2 A's didn't get 12 points for beating a team of all A's?

Letter ranks are treated as the same if they have the same letter IIRC.

He was going for that specific score. Duh. Do you know if he stopped firing at any point? I know that a max Splat Charger shot that doesn't get impeded by anything will give 23 points IIRC, so just 3 shots and there you go. He could've also been hardcore camping and just repainting your team's turf.

Have you played using the Squiffer? You can use other Chargers in a similar style if you invest in at least 1 Damage Up. It's a fun playstyle that Heng, Azure, Ryechu and I use. It's less campy. With E-Liter, you can hide on walls and ambush with Burst Bombs if you feel like it. I haven't experimented with the mall much in that regard.

I've noticed that my win rate vs other E-Liters when having a Burst Bomb duel has tanked hard. It's probably at 20% or so. Still, it's really fun when me and my opponent run out of ink because it becomes a mindgame and a game of prediction. We've had those moments at Camp sometimes. =D I still think Heng and I had the best E-Liter BB duel that's happened in the game. Would've been great if it was recorded. =P A full maybe 15-25 second duel around a sandbag in a tight space at Walleye.
TBH I didn't think he was trying to get that on purpose xD

ryechu

We need a perfectly balanced 3 man team all wearing hengs arrow bands that destroys the competition.

Honestly I just think I need to practice more. I don't know how far my shots go. I don't know good places to snipe on specific maps. And I just need to work on my aim.

I like to practice aiming with the Squiffer. It has an aggressive playstyle with the limit that it has to be fully charged to OHKO even with Damage Up. Because Damage Up is worthless on it, you can go Quick Respawn happy on your gear and pretty much insta-respawn whenever you die, which puts you back in the game faster and gives you more chances to practice aiming. After that, go to the Splat/Kelp Charger and get familiarized with that. If you like Squiffer gameplay, invest in some Damage Up perks. From there, you can go E-Liter to see if you like it.

Gsnap

I like to practice aiming with the Squiffer. It has an aggressive playstyle with the limit that it has to be fully charged to OHKO even with Damage Up. Because Damage Up is worthless on it, you can go Quick Respawn happy on your gear and pretty much insta-respawn whenever you die, which puts you back in the game faster and gives you more chances to practice aiming. After that, go to the Splat/Kelp Charger and get familiarized with that. If you like Squiffer gameplay, invest in some Damage Up perks. From there, you can go E-Liter to see if you like it.

Interesting. I might just go all in and commit to losing with the splatterscope until I get better though. Switching between weapons too often tends to mess me up.

Map rotation is every four hours, alternatin between tower and splat zone in ranked. That means that the modes are up at the same time everyday. It is like that sometimes, but occasionally it changes, does this mean that you will have 8 hours straight with the same mode?

backlot

Map rotation is every four hours, alternatin between tower and splat zone in ranked. That means that the modes are up at the same time everyday. It is like that sometimes, but occasionally it changes, does this mean that you will have 8 hours straight with the same mode?

Yeah, that happens sometimes.

ryechu

Interesting. I might just go all in and commit to losing with the splatterscope until I get better though. Switching between weapons too often tends to mess me up.

Splatterscope. Get 2 damage up main. Go into training area and learn exactly the earliest you can kill. Practice snapping your shots in training area (charge while aiming at the middle dummy and then a quickly scroll your camera to hit and kill the left or right dummy. It should be fast enough that you don't realize the crosshairs). Practice the same thing in full charge. Gyro is mandatory.

The good thing about the Charger family is that the only difference between them is their range. They all charge, shoot in a straight line, and OHKO at max charge. The range difference issue is easily fixed by spending half a minute or so in the test range. Then again, that could be because I'm really familiar with the class.

Moving when you aim makes you harder to hit, don't hold a max charge for too long unless you know you can make the shot, especially with the scope. Don't always go for the obvious sniper perch in some maps. There are elevated walls you can stand on as an alternative. Practice snapshotting/twitch aiming where you aim away from your target to hide your laser and immediately snap your reticle to them and fire to kill when you have enough charge. It's easier to do this with the non-scoped Chargers, but it can still work with scope. Invest in at least 1 Damage Up perk if you don't like campy sniping.

R.D. Blax came into a lobby I and some other GAF users were in. He would just stand and shoot until we suggested for him to move as he aims. By doing that, he already became a tougher target to hit, especially because I myself was a Charger. Single shot and all. =P It makes one a more effective sniper by increasing survivability. The only time you really don't move is on sniper perches, but that's because they're usually tiny.

Get used to using your bombs. They're stupid good at dislodging other snipers from their perch. The downside is that you will have to leave your own unless you invest in maybe 2 Bomb Throw Ups.

I'm one of the only users of the non-scoped Chargers. Violet is the other. The rest of ChargerGAF loves the scoped versions. The advantage is slightly better range and maybe damage. I dunno about the damage part.

Gsnap

Splatterscope. Get 2 damage up main. Go into training area and learn exactly the earliest you can kill. Practice snapping your shots in training area (charge while aiming at the middle dummy and then a quickly scroll your camera to hit and kill the left or right dummy. It should be fast enough that you don't realize the crosshairs). Practice the same thing in full charge. Gyro is mandatory.

The good thing about the Charger family is that the only difference between them is their range. They all charge, shoot in a straight line, and OHKO at max charge. The range difference issue is easily fixed by spending half a minute or so in the test range. Then again, that could be because I'm really familiar with the class.

Moving when you aim makes you harder to hit, don't hold a max charge for too long unless you know you can make the shot, especially with the scope. Don't always go for the obvious sniper perch in some maps. There are elevated walls you can stand on as an alternative. Practice snapshotting/twitch aiming where you aim away from your target to hide your laser and immediately snap your reticle to them and fire to kill when you have enough charge. It's easier to do this with the non-scoped Chargers, but it can still work with scope. Invest in at least 1 Damage Up perk if you don't like campy sniping.

R.D. Blax came into a lobby I and some other GAF users were in. He would just stand and shoot until we suggested for him to move as he aims. By doing that, he already became a tougher target to hit, especially because I myself was a Charger. Single shot and all. =P It makes one a more effective sniper by increasing survivability. The only time you really don't move is on sniper perches, but that's because they're usually tiny.

Get used to using your bombs. They're stupid good at dislodging other snipers from their perch.

I'm one of the only users of the non-scoped Chargers. Violet is the other. The rest of ChargerGAF loves the scoped versions. The advantage is slightly better range and maybe damage. I dunno about the damage part.

Cool thanks guys!

Cool thanks guys!

The Charger is an extremely flexible class. You can go with a lot of styles with them. They're also one of the harder classes to use. Have fun with them. =) You should have seen Azure's progress with them. Went from unsure and fairly easy to hit to more confident and fun to duel.

R.D.Blax

Every time. Every squidding time I am a victory away from going back to A rank, I get knocked back. I have enough of this shit *throws gamepad away*

Gsnap

The Charger is an extremely flexible class. You can go with a lot of styles with them. They're also one of the harder classes to use. Have fun with them. =) You should have seen Azure's progress with them. Went from unsure and fairly easy to hit to more confident and fun to duel.

They definitely are the hardest. But I'm beginning to understand. Putting your tips to use and they're working already. Just completely outplayed an enemy sniper because they wouldn't hide their laser sight. As well as locking down an entire side of bluefin.

This is gonna be fun.

Never have I felt so happy to win a match as just now. We were 3v4 after a disconnect with two brushes (myself using the Octo) and a completely worthless player on our team on Walleye. I was locked down on the left the entire game by a charger and two other guys, but made a suicide charge into the middle of all of them during the last 20 seconds, took 3 guys out and then rolled away from the 4th guy chasing me with his Kraken. We suddenly clawed back enough ground in the dying seconds to win by like 1%.

Totakeke

I'm down to try 3V4ing some randoms.

Some random A+ people? :)

Two things I'm still wondering is how they'll determine matchmaking for teams with mixed ranks. You could have someone create a new character and be at C- in the team and would that hugely affect the teams you get matched against?

I'm also wondering how the Set Teams menu look like in private lobbies.

Robotguy

Some random A+ people? :)

Two things I'm still wondering is how they'll determine matchmaking for teams with mixed ranks. You could have someone create a new character and be at C- in the team and would that hugely affect the teams you get matched against?

I'm also wondering how the Set Teams menu look like in private lobbies.
Of course.
Okay, maybe not. :(
Also, I'd imagine tenacity headgear would be preferable to arrow bands for 3V4ing, cause it's active like all the time.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm rather surprised that squad battle impact rank at all, since it basically enables people to carry their friends if they're good enough to do so. Really random teams is the only fair way to do rankings unless they have separate squad rankings.

Of course.
Okay, maybe not. :(
Also, I'd imagine tenacity headgear would be preferable to arrow bands for 3V4ing, cause it's active like all the time.

Yeah, I dunno. I'm rather surprised that squad battle impact rank at all, since it basically enables people to carry their friends if they're good enough to do so. Really random teams is the only fair way to do rankings unless they have separate squad rankings.

Aren't Squad Battles against other squads as opposed to only teams formed randomly? It probably won't be as simple as you describe.

Robotguy

Just realized that since each round of the squidboards tournament is 48 hours the weird starting time is not the showstopping problem I thought it would be.

Anyone want to form a GAF squad?

R.D.Blax

I should learn charger...

Is there a Baby's First Charger tutorial/bullet point list out there? I want to crawl before I run.

1-Pick E-litre 3K Scope
2-Go in a gaf room with all the best charger
3-Die a lot
4-???
5-Congrat, you know how to charger now !

More serioulsy, I think there was a discussion about it just a few post above. Look at Ryechu and BlueSilver post, it should be a good start

Totakeke

I should learn charger...

Is there a Baby's First Charger tutorial/bullet point list out there? I want to crawl before I run.

Best way to learn charger is to start with the easiest targets possible, be it single player through amiibo, random turf wars, splatfest, or even starting a new character and doing it from C-.

Top Bottom