• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Heng

Any of you motion control users have some tips?
Hold the gamepad like you normally would then hit Y. You want the most comfortable position to look straight, otherwise you would have to hold it in a weird spot while playing. Once you've done that, don't bother re calibrating it unless it messes up.

Try the single player campaign to get use to it or with randoms on turf wars.

To find the best sensitivity, start with a low one and work your way up. You want to maintain accuracy while improving your aim speed.

Ahnez

If you need to use Y regularly you're probably doing something wrong.

I use the gamepad in three completely different positions, depending on what I'm doing

Each one with its own level of precision.

On lap most of the time, as its easier to hold

~45 degress when need to have be less laid-back

parallel to my body when I need very fast and precise motions

But if not playing with it on my lap, it tires my hands a lot :p thats why I change constantly

Just like how I have ~4 completely different control configurations for each one of my mains in Smash

jariw

?

you play as charger so you sit in one spot and aim

ppl who are not chargers are running around and moving their gamepad and need to press y to reset..

please understand

I don't play as charger and I don't need to press Y. The gyro is only for aiming support, not for turning around.

WALKMAN04

?

you play as charger so you sit in one spot and aim

ppl who are not chargers are running around and moving their gamepad and need to press y to reset..

please understand
I play every weapon in the game, and am known for doing this. I consider myself good and others in this thread think the same of me, and I never have to press y, not even at the beginning, I don't know why you would need to often

Zing

Banned
Agreed. The only time I ever need to press Y is if I have set the controller down and the match started before I returned. Otherwise, it is set properly for me the whole match.

I never even considered using Y to turn around. I am at maximum sensitivity.

Ozium

It's not like I can't play other weapons, heh. Also it's not like I play some ultra stationary charger game. That's not me in most situations.

I just don't know why you need to use Y mid-game. Do you use too much movement?

I don't play as charger and I don't need to press Y. The gyro is only for aiming support, not for turning around.

I play every weapon in the game, and am known for doing this. I consider myself good and others in this thread think the same of me, and I never have to press y, not even at the beginning, I don't know why you would need to often

I dunno I just reset the positioning when I respawn, I don't reset it to fix the gyro but to reset How I'm holding the gamepad.. sometimes I throw my hands in the air when I get splatted by Sendou so hitting Y to reset is easier than moving my hands to the same position they were in before...

dunno what turning around has to do with anything.

also dunno why pressing Y is being shamed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Burnburn

Thanks for the tips, gonna try some more tomorrow in maps I feel more comfortable with and maybe some singleplayer. How long did it take you guys to get accustomed? I figure it will take me even longer since I played with dual sticks all this time :/

Heng

Thanks for the tips, gonna try some more tomorrow in maps I feel more comfortable with and maybe some singleplayer. How long did it take you guys to get accustomed? I figure it will take me even longer since I played with dual sticks all this time :/
I learned it within the fire testfire.

I don't think hitting y to do a 180 degree turn is bad, but often it'll do more harm than good. If you've learned to hit y a lot and still do great then more power to you. I don't think it's a good idea to tell new users to motion controls to learn to hit y a lot though, it just adds complexity to what is already difficult for them to learn.

WALKMAN04

I dunno I just reset the positioning when I respawn, I don't reset it to fix the gyro but to reset How I'm holding the gamepad.. sometimes I throw my hands in the air when I get splatted by Sendou so hitting Y to reset is easier than moving my hands to the same position they were in before...

dunno what turning around has to do with anything.

also dunno why pressing Y is being shamed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Didn't meAn it's a bad thing I just don't know why you would need to press it a lot, maybe once a match at most

Vecks

I started with motion and, about an hour in, it started to feel more natural.

Sendou

Good games. Taught me two things. a) Playing maps without strategy is hard. b) I still need more practice when it comes to Charger vs. Charger encounters on maps with lots of open space and not so many options for surprise attacks.

Force yourelf to look at it every 30 seconds, and in the final minute every 10. I was watching people walk up to your position and you were too busy trying to snipe someone else not even looking at you.
Well, people not looking at you are the best ones to snipe!

But yeah, spatial awareness is not my strongest suit.

WALKMAN04

Good games. Taught me two things. a) Playing maps without strategy is hard. b) I still need more practice when it comes to Charger vs. Charger encounters on maps with lots of open space and not so many options for surprise attacks.
Good games it was nice playing a few with you again, especially that now my charger is better, although you guys still have better aim I think I have dramatically improved. Hope to play some more with you sometime.

I feel like I'm really starting to get the hang of the Octobrush now, it isn't something you can just play like the Inkbrush and expect to get anywhere. Making use of the beacons and taking on an aggressively defensive role is where it really shines, particularly after sneaking into key enemy territory and quickly stealing it away.

I was having serious success earlier defending both sides of Bluefin at once by having beacons down to jump between whichever side needed an extra hand. Same with Kelp Dome, one beacon in the middle and two in each corner of the map from the bases, take total control of the middle and then be ruthless attacking people who tried to get anywhere near the middle. Kraken is an absolute godsend when you're up against multiple enemies, take out one and the Kraken is certain to either get the second, or chase them far out of the area.

ryechu

If the angle in which you hold the gamepad for looking straight is large from the horizontal. When you flatten the pad past the maximum you can look down it screws up your calibration. I'm assuming those ppl have to use y more often. I suggest 0-30 angle on holding the gamepad.

I don't think I'm gonna hop online today. I have a headache and feel a bit dizzy, though that could be because my contact lenses are getting old. I just took them off.

Force yourelf to look at it every 30 seconds, and in the final minute every 10. I was watching people walk up to your position and you were too busy trying to snipe someone else not even looking at you.

All I'll say is that the time you take to look at the map is time that an enemy Charger can use to snipe or pressure you or another enemy can storm the no-man's zone and take you out when trying to set up again. If there are enemies around, my strategy in to scan the map on the tv. This is why I like non-scoped Chargers, but E-Scope vs Splat Charger is insanity.

There are times where looking at the map is good as a Charger. You just have to recognize the opportunity.

Sendou

Good games it was nice playing a few with you again, especially that now my charger is better, although you guys still have better aim I think I have dramatically improved. Hope to play some more with you sometime.

Yeah you were very good. Hope we can play in some of my stronger maps! Of course more in Tower and Camp too so I can eventually count them among my strong maps. Although I wonder how useful matches with more than 5 chargers are when you're trying to form a plan that's competitively viable.

Azure J

Curious to hear from Sendou what he thought of my charger play. I just realized the last time I played him with a charger, I was literally just starting out.

Sendou

Curious to hear from Sendou what he thought of my charger play. I just realized the last time I played him with a charger, I was literally just starting out.

Have you saved any Twitch broadcasts I could look? Preferably pointing out one or two matches you think you did good in. It's always hard to judge a Charger from 3rd perspective. I'd be happy to give feedback though.

Azure, at this point, don't worry about it. You're at a really good level already. Just look at the stream replay. You can get some really good multi-snipes, which is indicative of a good Charger player. You just have to work on your bomb rush game and have more bomb awareness.

Sendou

Again I'd stress that I don't feel a Charger's worth is how you stack against other Chargers rather than your ability to hold key areas without dying, being able to deal with every weapon type, understanding the concept of building and breaking roads, being able to switch up strategy on the fly from ramboing to full support role or painter, intelligent use of sniping spots in each map etc.

EDIT: Knowing how to use retreating offensively, playing at the absolute range limit of your weapon, making shots without fail... It's a long list basically. But yeah if you have some Charger gameplay somewhere I'd be glad to look it over.

ryechu

Azure are you streaming today? Also you have a habit of aiming really high with a charger when spreading ink. You actually spread less that way compared to shooting straight forward. I feel like it limits your fov of the action as well.

Crayolan

Three things are dumb:

1) Scopes on all chargers.

2) E-Litre (in all shapes and forms)

3) Stacking Att Up as a charger

No statistics can prove me wrong. I don't play statistics, I play video games. Numbers make my Splatoon feel dirty where it is pure.
If you want proof that E-Litre is spawn of satan then it's pretty simple really. It has Kraken special. An assault special. On a goddamn sniper rifle. What in the world.
2 Peter 2:1

But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction.

tumblr_m4rocyT1XD1rn95k2o1_500.gif

an aerospray is not a sniper rifle

an n-zap is not a sniper rifle

a squelcher is close, but it's still not a sniper rifle

please, do not stand firmly planted on the sniping spot on walleye and hope that your shots will magically make it to the other side when we're pushing the tower

I have it on good authority that in TF2 a minigun is, in fact, a sniper rifle, and if I stand still in my spawn door staring a sniper down straight in the eyes I will win.

Expect this to ring true when the gatling gun releases in Splatoon.

Today was my first time playing with GAF.

The things I know I need to work on are my spotty spatial awareness and that for some godforsaken reason I am blind to Splat Bombs.

Anyone notice me making any other egregious errors?

WALKMAN04

Again I'd stress that I don't feel a Charger's worth is how you stack against other Chargers rather than your ability to hold key areas without dying, being able to deal with every weapon type, understanding the concept of building and breaking roads, being able to switch up strategy on the fly from ramboing to full support role or painter, intelligent use of sniping spots in each map etc.

EDIT: Knowing how to use retreating offensively, playing at the absolute range limit of your weapon, making shots without fail... It's a long list basically. But yeah if you have some Charger gameplay somewhere I'd be glad to look it over.
I know this has always been your way of thinking,but have you tried using the e-liter with damage-ups because it helps with the slow charge time that you feel is its weakness, also in my case I pretty much only use e-liter and the damage ups help with the burst bombs as well. The way I feel about it is that having the damage ups does help you be prepared for a lot of situations as well, you can rush the enemy as a sniper, which I do often with the burst bombs and also if an unexpected enemy pops up you can kill them with a short charge or 2 uncharged shots instead of 3, which is great for riding the tower in tower control. Both have their benefits and playstyles, I also don't understand your blaster comparison I use them very differently, although I'm not very good with the blaster, but getting better from my session with them yesterday.

Edit: oh and Sendou, don't know if you know this but during matches with the main members of splat gaf we are usually talking on twitch if you want to join us, I didn't see you there, if azure, splatacus, or Blak status are playing we are most likely in the stream chat

And Quartz, if you are gaf like I think you are feel free to add me

And good games everyone

StAidan

So, I played a bunch of Kelp Charger today in randoms -- my first time playing charger. It went pretty well, depending on the skill levels of the teams I was pitted against. (This was during the Bluefin/Kelp Dome rotation.)

The hardest games to gauge my effectiveness were the ones when the enemy overran the base. I felt like my team was also pretty bad in most of those rounds. Overall, I missed a lot of shots but also nailed some great ones.

Oh, and I was universally bad on the Kelp Dome rounds. I just didn't find a great place to snipe from, so I was constantly getting boxed in on the ground.

Heng

I know you asked for Sendou's opinion but I feel like I should point out a few weakness I've spotted. You use bombs to cover turf, which isn't bad especially since burst bombs can get you out of sticky situations but you usually use them in the worst times. I've seen you throw bombs to cover a small area and an enemy would come at you and you were out of ink and couldn't deal with them. Shooting turf would be faster covering turf than bombs because it's more ink efficient. Also you spend too much time charging your shots when covering turf, and about 1/3 of your shots usually goes into the wall or off the map. This really isn't as bad as I'm making it sound but it's areas where you can improve.

Another thing is that you spend too much time covering turf, especially at the start. It's not a bad thing that you want to cover turf but it becomes problematic when it's basically a 3v4 for control of the middle, which for Underpass is where it really matters. Another problem with this is when I come back from my first death, I have no turf to build my special to take back middle.

Overall, I think you've improved a lot, and you should be more confident in your skill. Just keep these two things I've mentioned and I would say you would be very important asset to your team.

Also stop walking off edges and running into bombs.

WALKMAN04

Thanks! Request sent.
No problem will make room for you soon, and since you asked for tips, in our one on ones I noticed that you tried to rush me at times when I had burst bombs and you didn't which put me at an advantage, use your splat bombs to push me into the position you want then finish me off with your charger. You did well for your first time playing with gaf and I hope to play with you some more.

Hey guys what weapon do you guys think would benefit from this gear I got?

Ink Saver Main + 2x Main subs
Damage up + 2x Damage subs
Ink Resistance
3x Special duration up subs (wasn't trying for that, just how it rolled)
2x Swim speed up.

No problem will make room for you soon, and since you asked for tips, in our one on ones I noticed that you tried to rush me at times when I had burst bombs and you didn't which put me at an advantage, use your splat bombs to push me into the position you want then finish me off with your charger. You did well for your first time playing with gaf and I hope to play with you some more.

Yeah, I sometimes do that in the hopes that my twitch aiming will save me. It actually does sometimes, but not often enough to be reliable. :p

I usually use the Kelp Charger though; I don't like to be without my Killer Wail. I might play with the normal one a bit more to try to learn the bombs better.

Thanks!

Totakeke

I know you asked for Sendou's opinion but I feel like I should point out a few weakness I've spotted. You use bombs to cover turf, which isn't bad especially since burst bombs can get you out of sticky situations but you usually use them in the worst times. I've seen you throw bombs to cover a small area and an enemy would come at you and you were out of ink and couldn't deal with them. Shooting turf would be faster covering turf than bombs because it's more ink efficient. Also you spend too much time charging your shots when covering turf, and about 1/3 of your shots usually goes into the wall or off the map. This really isn't as bad as I'm making it sound but it's areas where you can improve.

Another thing is that you spend too much time covering turf, especially at the start. It's not a bad thing that you want to cover turf but it becomes problematic when it's basically a 3v4 for control of the middle, which for Underpass is where it really matters. Another problem with this is when I come back from my first death, I have no turf to build my special to take back middle.

Overall, I think you've improved a lot, and you should be more confident in your skill. Just keep these two things I've mentioned and I would say you would be very important asset to your team.

Also stop walking off edges and running into bombs.

Good suggestions, disagree on covering less turf at start though which most gaf chargers tend to do. If you're not playing aggressive going into enemy turf, you can just show your charger line and usually that's enough to buy you some time to ink your own turf. Smaller maps like urchin underpass is definitely the exception where you have nowhere else to go, but on bigger maps I think chargers are often too focused on getting the kills on turf wars when there's a good amount of turf around them uncovered. It also leads to situations where it's splat or die because you have limited escape routes.

But I don't think gaf lobbies are that particular about winning turf wars anyway, most people just have fun.

DaBoss

Hey guys what weapon do you guys think would benefit from this gear I got?

Ink Saver Main + 2x Main subs
Damage up + 2x Damage subs
Ink Resistance
3x Special duration up subs (wasn't trying for that, just how it rolled)
2x Swim speed up.
I think this is good for the blaster.

-Horizon-

Wait, so I haven't been playing splatoon for a while but I did know there was a splatfest coming up with hotdogs and marshmallows in the US. But Europe has north pole vs south pole? I thought it was a joke when I was looking through stuff on kym. That's amazing.

WALKMAN04

Yeah, I sometimes do that in the hopes that my twitch aiming will save me. It actually does sometimes, but not often enough to be reliable. :p

I usually use the Kelp Charger though; I don't like to be without my Killer Wail. I might play with the normal one a bit more to try to learn the bombs better.

Thanks!
Sprinkler can be used to get someone out of position as well, or as a distraction, or possibly even armor from another charger, although the last is kind of hard to pull off most of the time. And I consider bombs to be the best subs in the game I hate being without them.

Totakeke

Azure J

Lots of posts to go through now. I'm on mobile but just wanted to say thanks to the folks that chimed in (Heng, ryechu, BlueSilver, Walkman, Totakeke, and Sendou). Also, Sendou, my laptop is currently updating to Win10, so I can't catch links, but there are a bunch of labeled highlights of myself on charger both on my twitch channel (twitch.TV/azurejerichogaf) and YouTube channel (YouTube.com/transcendentazure89). If anything, I'll drop links in here later but I hope you get a chance to see some in the meantime.

Vecks

Wait, so I haven't been playing splatoon for a while but I did know there was a splatfest coming up with hotdogs and marshmallows in the US. But Europe has north pole vs south pole? I thought it was a joke when I was looking through stuff on kym. That's amazing.

That's one way of putting it. I'm glad ours is focused on food. I wouldn't know what to vote for if they gave us north pole vs south pole. I'd have to imagine most would vote north just because it's closer.

Top Bottom