• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
The thing is 2 dmg ups aren't hard to slot in. And dmg up scales really well compared to other stackable abilities. I'm not sure what else you really need as a charger.

I feel ink saver can be crucial in Splat Zones sometimes. I can cover a zone quickly without needing to refill ink.

I really want those headphones.

I'll use this gear next time I see you online. Maybe you'll get lucky with Spyke...

Does anything even survive with all that damage up?

One barely charged "tap" doesn't kill. Two usually will. But yeah, charge it up a decent amount and nothing survives.

ryechu

I feel ink saver can be crucial in Splat Zones sometimes. I can cover a zone quickly without needing to refill ink.

I'll use this gear next time I see you online. Maybe you'll get lucky with Spyke...
I always run one ink saver main coupled with one ink recovery. One more saver would be
Nice but I haven't found the abilities on gear that looks fresh enough. I have the rockenberg black shirt that I like with 2 dmg up subs but it has like the worst solo ability in special duration up. I tested it and you need 2 subs to even get out an extra bomb.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
I always run one ink saver main coupled with one ink recovery. One more saver would be
Nice but I haven't found the abilities on gear that looks fresh enough. I have the rifle berg black shirt that I like but it has like the worst solo ability in special duration up. I tested it and you need 2 subs to even get out an extra bomb.

Ink recovery seems like a good substitute for ink saver. It can even be better depending on the circumstances. I was just lucky to get those shoes and headphones. Not that they're fresh or anything, but they do the trick lol

And yeah special duration up seems bad for weapons with bomb rushes

ryechu

Ink recovery seems like a good substitute for ink saver. It can even be better depending on the circumstances. I was just lucky to get those shoes and headphones. Not that they're fresh or anything, but they do the trick lol

ink recoveries work well on e liters. Since you always want have high ink to throw at least 3 burst bombs. You can throw out more subs in a given amount a time with ink recoveries than ink saver subs, which is party why i hate ink saver subs.

I have an extreme e liter set that has the equivalent of 3 dmg up mains and 3 ink recovery mains. I need to do the science and see if a combo of ink saver main and ink rec become more efficient since they work synergistically.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
ink recoveries work well on e liters. Since you always want have high ink to throw at least 3 burst bombs. You can throw out more subs in a given amount a time with ink recoveries than ink saver subs, which is party why i hate ink saver subs.

I have an extreme e liter set that has the equivalent of 3 dmg up mains and 3 ink recovery mains. I need to do the science and see if a combo of ink saver main and ink rec become more efficient since they work synergistically.

Very interesting. Never used the e-liter seriously, but this is good to know for future reference. I don't have any good ink recovery gear, though. Have to work on that.

MlWA7739WPMepGdDPW

That's my gear I was talking about earlier. Quite fresh and I ordered a replacement pair of headphones that have 2 damage up subs and 1 special duration up. We'll see if Spyke is a bro or if he's gonna stay losing. Also found in my plaza a person with black arrowbands that had triple damage up subs. If I can't get the headphones he better damn well come through with those.

ryechu

Although recently all my gear progress has gone down the drain since i started liking the style of an amiibo set i made. I've been ignoring all my good gear in favor of a squidstitch hat and the school set and spent all my money trying to get at least 2 dmg up mains on it.

Azure J

Although recently all my gear progress has gone down the drain since i started liking the style of an amiibo set i made. I've been ignoring all my good gear in favor of a squidstitch hat and the school set and spent all my money trying to get at least 2 dmg up mains on it.

The Amiibo reroll cycle is the hardest to get out of. :lol

i wish i had the equipment to go 3, 3. Its fun for turf wars and fine for tower but i think toning down on the dmg up at that point is better for SZ.
Yeah, my headband is 2 Special Duration Up and 1 Damage Up and my shirt is 2 Sub Saver and 1 Damage Up. I'm not rerolling that shirt ever because its brand isn't Firefin, it's... Forge I think. So that's really lucky and I'm keeping it lol. My shoes are shit though, just shit.

As for SZ and tower control... I only do Turf Wars so yeah. I mean come on, I couldn't handle Sendou earlier and turned off my Wii U mid-match. Like hell I could handle Ranked! C- 4 lyfe

ryechu

The Amiibo reroll cycle is the hardest to get out of. :lol

I got 2 dmg up subs on the amiibo shirt, which is really lucky. However, the last slot is special duration up, my most hated. I am tempted to build up 50 or so snails and go at it again, but i know that even then the odds are against me.

Ozium

where can I buy Amiibos

I need those squid mini games dammit

Nintendo just let me buy them as DLC.. I don't give a shit about the challenges and costumes (tho if I had the amiibos yeah I'd play em
to unlock the mini games
)

damn shit got me heated yo

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Lol you're doing fine killing me in mid bunny hops.

Greg, could you use some other weapon if you're painting base? It takes about 1 and a half minute for you to do so in Underpass, and sometimes we get locked into out base by then.

I was about to say the same thing xD you were using the .96 gal right Greg? I was wondering why haven't I gotten hit by a .96 yet, but it seems like you weren't really trying to go into battle with it? I didn't really see you jump in the middle xD

Nice to meet you!
Nice to meet you too! You got room in your friends list? I added you haha

Lol you're doing fine killing me in mid bunny hops.

Greg, could you use some other weapon if you're painting base? It takes about 1 and a half minute for you to do so in Underpass, and sometimes we get locked into out base by then.

I was about to say the same thing xD you were using the .96 gal right Greg? I was wondering why haven't I gotten hit by a .96 yet, but it seems like you weren't really trying to go into battle with it? I didn't really see you jump in the middle xD
I'm getting slaughtered by the brushes and chargers. I'd figured that I'd at least fill my super gauge and get echolocater going to help out :{

Mellopillow

Neo Member
I'm getting slaughtered by the brushes and chargers. I'd figured that I'd at least fill my super gauge and get echolocater going to help out :{
Chargers would be a problem for the .96 gal, but when you do have your echolocator, I'd say that's the best time to go in and find some brushes. I don't really think brushes have a chance against you if you have some distance between them lol xD besides, echolocator is nice and all but if your team is fighting a 3v4, they're still at a disadvantage, especially in a tight map like underpass~

I have seen the light. Splat Bombs are awesome. I had tried the normal Splat Charger before, but found it harder to use. Maybe I just needed to see some good players make use of it. ;)

Chargers would be a problem for the .96 gal, but when you do have your echolocator, I'd say that's the best time to go in and find some brushes. I don't really think brushes have a chance against you if you have some distance between them lol xD besides, echolocator is nice and all but if your team is fighting a 3v4, they're still at a disadvantage, especially in a tight map like underpass~

No you're right, it seemed like a decent strategy but it clearly wasn't working most of the time. The .96 wasn't a good choice for me on either map tonight actually :/

Heng

It's cool, those brush users kept rushing at us and it felt like I was a sitting duck when I had no room to move around. Have you tried the .96 gal with shield and kraken? It might help you a lot more with chargers.

Geg

I don't think I ever played the .96 but wouldn't its range help with taking out chargers? Or does the slow fire rate hurt it too much?

Nico_D

Changed the sensitivity from -1 to +1. In result Splatterscope is better than ever. What a difference sensitivity makes.

It's cool, those brush users kept rushing at us and it felt like I was a sitting duck when I had no room to move around. Have you tried the .96 gal with shield and kraken? It might help you a lot more with chargers.

I used it earlier in ranked but I have no idea what I'm doing as the kraken and the splatwall made ink management a nightmare. It probably would have worked a lot better on these maps though but I can't resist the temptation of bringing sprinklers to throw on that overhang in the middle LOL

I usually try to hang back in general if I have the longest range weapon on the team to try to support and defend the base but it definitely causes problems on Underpass, I just didn't realize why until you guys pointed it out to me.
I don't think I ever played the .96 but wouldn't its range help with taking out chargers? Or does the slow fire rate hurt it too much?
I kept trying to charge Quartz and Azure but I just couldn't get off that 2nd shot >_<

Sendou

The thing is 2 dmg ups aren't hard to slot in. And dmg up scales really well compared to other stackable abilities. I'm not sure what else you really need as a charger.

There's plenty of abilities I like.

Currently I'm using Swim Speed Up, Bomb Reach Up and Cold-Blooded. Although I might switch Bomb Reach Up with either Ink Refill Up or Main Weapon Ink Consumption Down.

Cold-Blooded allows for some great mind games and is pretty much essential in any game with a good Echolocator user with the kind of gameplay I try to lead. Swim Speed Up on the other hand let's you back up quicker (here's the difference between me and Att Up users. I don't even try to deal with enemies that get close enough to use their main weapon from that range but instead maybe drop a bomb and back down to utilize my range once more.) and move around maps quicker. Bomb Reach Up can also be nice in some map but I have noticed it's not as useful against good players. Instead I think Ink Refill Up or Main Weapon Ink Consumption Down could help me when I'm putting a lot of ink down the range.

Swim Speed Up on the other hand let's you back up quicker (here's the difference between me and Att Up users. I don't even try to deal with enemies that get close enough to use their main weapon from that range but instead maybe drop a bomb and back down to utilize my range once more.) and move around maps quicker.
There's a big delay due to momentum when you first try to reverse direction and swim away. Does Swim Speed Up lessen that at all?

Heng

I used it earlier in ranked but I have no idea what I'm doing as the kraken and the splatwall made ink management a nightmare. It probably would have worked a lot better on these maps though but I can't resist the temptation of bringing sprinklers to throw on that overhang in the middle LOL

I usually try to hang back in general if I have the longest range weapon on the team to try to support and defend the base but it definitely causes problems on Underpass, I just didn't realize why until you guys pointed it out to me.

I kept trying to charge Quartz and Azure but I just couldn't get off that 2nd shot >_<
Kraken can be used like a bubble; as an "Oh Shit" button. You can either try to rush into enemy base, run back from enemies into teammates or base, or activate when the enemy is not expecting it. I think in order to get better with it, you should practice some more with it. You're not going to magically learn how to use it if you don't play around with it.

For the ink wall, I'm also having trouble finding a good use for it since it depletes my tank. So far, I've found it useful if you know where the charger is at or block the enemy's path with it. I might try to invest in some sub saver since Tenacity isn't great with range blaster (I don't care too much for ink strike), and I have no other perks that stands out above the others on my head gear.

Shhh, don't tell him our secrets. :p
Lol. Feel free to add me, my NNID is roger1991. You're pretty good at chargers, I'd love to get more practice in with my blasters/splatterscope.

Sendou

There's a big delay when you first try to reverse direction and swim away due to momentum. Does Swim Speed Up lessen that at all?

I don't have really tested anything. Just going by feeling. In situations where I'm swimming forward but see something that makes me want to reverse I usually try to drop a bomb before doing so.

Kraken can be used like a bubble; as an "Oh Shit" button. You can either try to rush into enemy base, run back from enemies into teammates or base, or activate when the enemy is not expecting it. I think in order to get better with it, you should practice some more with it. You're not going to magically learn how to use it if you don't play around with it.

For the ink wall, I'm also having trouble finding a good use for it since it depletes my tank. So far, I've found it useful if you know where the charger is at or block the enemy's path with it. I might try to invest in some sub saver since Tenacity isn't great with range blaster (I don't care too much for ink strike), and I have no other perks that stands out above the others on my head gear.

I switched to 2 main sub-savers specifically to try to make splatwall work but I still found that I had 5 or 6 shots which might be enough for most situations but against good mobile opponents it wasn't enough for me to push forward on Port Mackerel against chargers.

Splatwall seems like it should be really good with the .96, I think maybe I'll try it with ninja squid to see if I can get closer to chargers with it. The two main sub-savers work great with the sprinkler though to get combo OHKOs with the .96, I just couldn't find good situations to use it on tonight's maps :/

Top Bottom