• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

ryechu

There's plenty of abilities I like.

Currently I'm using Swim Speed Up, Bomb Reach Up and Cold-Blooded. Although I might switch Bomb Reach Up with either Ink Refill Up or Main Weapon Ink Consumption Down.

Cold-Blooded allows for some great mind games and is pretty much essential in any game with a good Echolocator user with the kind of gameplay I try to lead. Swim Speed Up on the other hand let's you back up quicker (here's the difference between me and Att Up users. I don't even try to deal with enemies that get close enough to use their main weapon from that range but instead maybe drop a bomb and back down to utilize my range once more.) and move around maps quicker. Bomb Reach Up can also be nice in some map but I have noticed it's not as useful against good players. Instead I think Ink Refill Up or Main Weapon Ink Consumption Down could help me when I'm putting a lot of ink down the range.

I understand the value of other abilities and I use a lot of them with my charger sets. However I feel as though you miss the point of dmg up. It's not a way to shore up bad play and it certainly doesn't mean dueling shooters at their ranges instead of backing up. With a few dmg ups you are still hitting at considerable ranges. 4.5-5 lines still out ranges all other non chargers. And I would agree with you only in that dmg up is less useful on the splat charger. But the reason for that is the splat charger can hold it's charge and pick it's fights accordingly. They preemptively charge and usually have full charge by the time they need to snap. Scoped weapons on the other hand start charging when they see the enemy. Being able to release at 75 percent charge makes playing this style more manageable since the enemy has less time to react in this time frame. This limitation might be your reason for saying scoped weapons are inferior. But the range increase that scoped weapons have are significant for holding favorable positions while still putting pressure on opposing points on the map due to the range increase. And even disregarding this, running dmg up on a scoped charger and playing mid range as heng does is powerful and is not outclassed in that range class. In fact it kills faster than the squiffer at 130 percent range. No other weapon has this niche of kill efficiency at this range. The squiffer is not a bad weapon but this style allows you to outclass it. That's the summary of scoped weapons, every shot is on a rhythm so you can't hold charge. this is why dmg up is more important in scoped weapons than non scoped. You want the zoom but don't want to be maxed out for long. And with dmg up they hit a sweet spot of being strong at mid (4-4.5) and still hit diagonals across moray and play range on splat chargers (6). For e liters, dmg up is good because most perches don't have unobstructed visibility in all directions at a range of 7-8. Meaning unless you want to back up and limit your angles of attack you need to be able to take out targets at 4-6 range. You aren't going to be doing this as effectively without dmg up. It rounds your weapon out. I could out play violet a lot harder if I knew he ran zero dmg up. After every shot I would know I have a second to pressure him. With dmg up he maintains pressure over the zone and I can't force him back. You can pick any common e liter perch and see that due to walls, threats can pop up at 5 range and threaten the perch. Back up and you have barely any angles to snipe. Being able to handle long and mid is much better than playing safe by constantly maintaining maximum range, a play style which most e liter players would agree to be absurd.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01agzlp.jpg

Will these two damage up subs be good for burst bombs?

Sendou

That tragic feeling when missing a play costs you the game.

Gonna read this later with more thought but I should stress that me putting down DMG Up builds have mostly been in jest since most Chargers here use them. It's not my preferred style but if it works for you then great.

It was fun chatting with you guys in Azure's stream. =D Good night, everyone. Behave yourself, Red. Don't smack people around too badly. =P

Long post

It's interesting to read your posts. I just like Damage Up because I can't help but be all over the place. It's why I like the Squiffer. It lets me use a certain playstyle and has bombs.

Its late and I'm tired. I'm the one getting smacked tonight

Lol

ryechu

That tragic feeling when missing a play costs you the game.

Gonna read this later with more thought but I should stress that me putting down DMG Up builds have mostly been in jest since most Chargers here use them. It's not my preferred style but if it works for you then great.
It's not like I haven't noticed that you've been commenting with a bit of levity, but I do think either side can be misinterpreted by beginners as an absolute unless there is some discussion. It could seem like damage up is a crutch or a "get competent quick" scheme which misrepresents how I and others use it. I have no problem with people not running any damage up at all but I then again I would expect them to pick different fights and affect different zones on the field. Just like I wouldn't want people stacking dmg up hardcore and not utilizing it proactively but only when jumped.

So Sendou, I have some links for you now:

Don't Jump
Splatterscope Stuff
E-Liter
Random GAF Room

With that done, later all.

I still can't believe how close I was to trading with you on that second one. Lol

Remember those matches and not any bad one, alright? If not, I might just have to Bumper Brush you to death. >=)

It's not like I haven't noticed that you've been commenting with a bit of levity, but I do think either side can be misinterpreted by beginners as an absolute unless there is some discussion. It could seem like damage up is a crutch or a "get competent quick" scheme which misrepresents how I and others use it. I have no problem with people not running any damage up at all but I then again I would expect them to pick different fights and affect different zones on the field. Just like I wouldn't want people stacking dmg up hardcore and not utilizing it proactively but only when jumped.

That's why I like the middle route I chose for my gear. It's fairly balanced without much Spyke shenanigans.

Sendou

I just don't want people new to chargers look up someone else's setup and copy it 1:1 and call it a day. Experimentation stage is important just to see what works with your skillset.

Rize_21

You know Run speed up should affect rollers / brushes, we're like random octolings thrown online for chargers at this point.

You know Run speed up should affect rollers / brushes, we're like random octolings thrown online for chargers at this point.
I could barely outrun a Roller with triple Run Speed Up IIRC. It might have been a different number though. Hilarious stuff.

I also need to go and highlight BlueSilver's ridiculous snipe on me later today come to think of it.

Remember to highlight me juking a Kraken the match after if you want. It was hilarious in my POV and a remnant of my older play style, which was fun to use in the past.
EDIT: I doubt you'll catch this, but it was two matches after that one. Actually, don't highlight it. Highlights are meant for you, not me. But yeah, that playstyle was fun.
here's my plan for the August update:

play for an hour of two to get used to the controls again
win one ranked match to get to S
laugh my ass off as I join other GAF squads and watch them go down in rank, likely because I screw up

tell me how you like it

Excellent.

Violet_0

Banned

laugh my ass off as I join other GAF squads and watch them go down in rank, likely because I screw up

tell me how you like it

ryechu

I still can't believe how close I was to trading with you on that second one. Lol

Remember those matches and not any bad one, alright? If not, I might just have to Bumper Brush you to death. >=)

That's why I like the middle route I chose for my gear. It's fairly balanced without much Spyke shenanigans.

I alter my gear depending on the mode and my mood. I usually go the most ham on dmg up on tc. Where the tower can block perfect shots so it's usually a better strategy to throw a shit ton of quick kill shots to the left and right of the pillar. And catch them off guard. In sz I keep more distance and like a lot more ink savers. When I play the splat charger I use a lot more mobility abilities since I like walking fast while charging constantly , abusing the fov.

Sendou

Sendou you magnificent bastard, that last second bomb rush scared me

Almost does not count :p

tell me how you like it

Here's mine: play with GAF whenever there's a room up. Other modes when there's no room. Simple. Yeah GAF squads will be hilarious.

ryechu

tell me how you like it
I would like it if it weren't a blatant rip off of MY plan.

Rize_21

tell me how you like it

says the fast and furious kraken of SplatGAF.

giphy.gif

Heng

I switched to 2 main sub-savers specifically to try to make splatwall work but I still found that I had 5 or 6 shots which might be enough for most situations but against good mobile opponents it wasn't enough for me to push forward on Port Mackerel against chargers.

Splatwall seems like it should be really good with the .96, I think maybe I'll try it with ninja squid to see if I can get closer to chargers with it. The two main sub-savers work great with the sprinkler though to get combo OHKOs with the .96, I just couldn't find good situations to use it on tonight's maps :/
For the ink wall vs mobile people, I've seen people utilize their wall by walking back and forth into the wall. It looks very effective but with slow fire weapons that also reduce your run speed, I'm not sure if we'll be able to do that. In Port, I usually use the corridors to my advantage. I try not to run straight into hallways and try to lay ink down but make it look like I'm trying to ink turf so that the charger will hold their shots and I can just ninja swim to the next hallway.

Whenever I play the .96 gal with sprinkler, I usually throw the Sprinkler into areas I want to advance to. The enemy has 2 options, reveal themselves and take my sprinkler out (which then I try to kill them) or let it stay and hope I come out. If they choose the latter, I now have new area to where I can stealth around and move my sprinkler to the next area. You could also choose to put it in high places to where only chargers can handle them. I've seen gaf members throwing sprinkler in weird places but oddly enough it works.

Who here is Vert?
I believe he goes by the name Vert here but doesn't post that often.

tell me how you like it
You monster.

I love using chargers because of all the different ways you can play them. Violet is pretty scary when he's on his perch and can out range me and charge his shots almost as fast as I can. You could also try to be a mobile charger like ryechu. Personally I like running the ninja charger and pop out in weird places and get easy targets. You could also develop a solid bomb game like Blue which makes it harder to approach him with any short range class.

I cannot play without damage up, but I've seen some amazing chargers who can. You could say I'm not using the charger to its full potential by getting close to my target, but I'd argue that I'm utilizing the aspect of fast charge time and the ability to 1 hit kill my targets. Standing close to other short range weapons make them try to attack me and probably due to my blaster experience I see them as easy targets. I use myself as bait (yeah not just my teammates) to lure people who will over extend themselves and put themselves in bad positions. This style won't always work, especially against other chargers, but that's where I change my style of play and try to be a real charger and fight at range.

For the ink wall vs mobile people, I've seen people utilize their wall by walking back and forth into the wall. It looks very effective but with slow fire weapons that also reduce your run speed, I'm not sure if we'll be able to do that. In Port, I usually use the corridors to my advantage. I try not to run straight into hallways and try to lay ink down but make it look like I'm trying to ink turf so that the charger will hold their shots and I can just ninja swim to the next hallway.

Whenever I play the .96 gal with sprinkler, I usually throw the Sprinkler into areas I want to advance to. The enemy has 2 options, reveal themselves and take my sprinkler out (which then I try to kill them) or let it stay and hope I come out. If they choose the latter, I now have new area to where I can stealth around and move my sprinkler to the next area. You could also choose to put it in high places to where only chargers can handle them. I've seen gaf members throwing sprinkler in weird places but oddly enough it works.

I believe he goes by the name Vert here but doesn't post that often.

You monster.

I love using chargers because of all the different ways you can play them. Violet is pretty scary when he's on his perch and can out range me and charge his shots almost as fast as I can. You could also try to be a mobile charger like ryechu. Personally I like running the ninja charger and pop out in weird places and get easy targets. You could also develop a solid bomb game like Blue which makes it harder to approach him with any short range class.

I cannot play without damage up, but I've seen some amazing chargers who can. You could say I'm not using the charger to its full potential by getting close to my target, but I'd argue that I'm utilizing the aspect of fast charge time and the ability to 1 hit kill my targets. Standing close to other short range weapons make them try to attack me and probably due to my blaster experience I see them as easy targets. I use myself as bait (yeah not just my teammates) to lure people who will over extend themselves and put themselves in bad positions. This style won't always work, especially against other chargers, but that's where I change my style of play and try to be a real charger and fight at range.

I know that with the wall, I've had great success vs you when we were using the Range Blaster at Bluefin. The wall needs to be micromanaged while being aware of people who you are targeting. That's the benefit of the wall having an ink tank that visibly depletes. It still won't save you trying to solo take back the center of Urchin Underpass, especially with 2 Chargers on the other team. I've never seen a wall go down so fast. Lol

Mobile Charger is fun. I've never liked campy styles (unless I'm trying to troll Violet with the Inkwall Jet Squelcher. =P), but E-Liter somehow has me staying farther back. I have no clue why, even with Damage Up. But I love E-Liter because no one expects the weapon with the longest range to try and shark attack you with Burst Bombs. It's great.

I'm gonna have to take a break from the Charger and try different weapon styles. I've gone Roller and Brush before, so I have to focus on Blasters and Rapid Fire weapons. I've never given the rapid guns too much thought because they feel like EZ mode sometimes, at least compared to a Charger. That said, I've never really had to deal with avoiding sniper fire without an answer before, so seeing a laser and not being able to challenge it with my own is very foreign to me. You see this in Azure's stream when I went Rapid Blaster. I even went with the Bubble version, which might have been a mistake at Moray. I don't know. I've become frighteningly dependent on bombs, which is why I generally know how to use them. It allows me to dislodge or temporarily disable snipers at long range and provide mind games that I generally enjoy. This is what makes me somewhat less of a threat at long range. Bombs are both a boon and a bane of mine. Go figure.

My first goal is to become proficient at the Sploosh and Rapid Blaster. These weapons are basically a complete 180 on my playstyle. No bombs, short range for the sploosh and Blaster gameplay ( which I'm still adapting to), and just overall style. The Charger will always be my #1, even when we fight with each other, but I'm ready to become proficient with the rest of the weapons. I'm already there with the Testfire weapons, so that helps a bit.

Top Bottom