• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

NotLiquid

tumblr_nsmfac8cig1tey99uo1_1280.jpg

Splatoon |OT4|
Woomy

So does everyone want the OT4 subtitle to be "You're a detriment to your team"?

WALKMAN04

Ok they definitely changed the ranking system, I just lost a match where the entire enemy team was all S and we were two A+ and two S ranks and we lost 12 points. I understand if they considered the ranks equal and I got -10, but we were the lesser ranked team and lost 12 points

backlot

Ok they definitely changed the ranking system, I just lost a match where the entire enemy team was all S and we were two A+ and two S ranks and we lost 12 points. I understand if they considered the ranks equal and I got -10, but we were the lesser ranked team and lost 12 points

I think Daboss was saying last night that if you lose with an S rank on your team its an auto -12 or something like that.

I... I love my .52 gal.
That reminds me does anyone know if the cap is now more than 999,999? A while ago in lobbies I saw someone who reached that using a Gold Aerospray *sigh*

....Well, they certainly didn't fix the netcode.
They changed it though (as it is broke for me). My personal Splatoon |OT4| subtitle is "the connection is unstable", for once I could do with one of those stability updates
also why do I keep coming back to this thread, it just makes me upset

WALKMAN04

I think Daboss was saying last night that if you lose with an S rank on your team its an auto -12 or something like that.
Well that sucks and makes no sense for people who aren't S rank, it's not their fault that they were paired up with them
Edit: I was sitting at A+ 99 then get paired with S ranks who go in the complete opposite direction of the objective and now sitting at 71, this sucks

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Nintendo has to figure out a way for me to send messages to friends to get a lobby going instead of having to exit the game then go to friends list.

Need one more person for our room. Me, OmegaKirby and R.D.Blax

Regiruler

Well that sucks and makes no sense for people who aren't S rank, it's not their fault that they were paired up with them
Edit: I was sitting at A+ 99 then get paired with S ranks who go in the complete opposite direction of the objective and now sitting at 71, this sucks
That's not true.

I haven't lost more than 10 points more than 2-3 times and an S is almost always on my team.

Geg

Oh wow, the Splatoon site not only tells you upcoming maps but also what modes they will be.

For anyone wondering, Splat Zones is ガチエリア and Tower Control is ガチヤグラ

Geg

About the ranking numbers:

バトルで勝って、ランキングを上げよう!ランキングは毎週日曜0時にリセットされるぞ!(ランキングスコアは、勝ち数×勝率×10で計算されます。
Win battles and raise you rank! The rank resets to 0 every Sunday! Rank score is determined by number of wins x (win percentage x 10).

WALKMAN04

That's not true.

I haven't lost more than 10 points more than 2-3 times and an S is almost always on my team.
I don't know, every time I've lost with an S rank, even when my team was the lower ranked I've lost 12 points, maybe there is more to it then that but that's what it seems like to me. I don't really think it will matter later on though, when ranks are correctly distributed

Edit: actually I just lost 10 with a S rank on my team, don't know what affects the rank system I guess

OryoN

Splatoon just became Game-Of-Forever with this new update. It was already taking a decent chunk out of my free-time, but now it will consume me.

I love how much variety those new weapons add. A freaking gatlin ink gun?! GTFO! A couple weeks or so ago, someone in my plaza was literally begging for such a weapon in his MiiVerse post. He must be losing himself in excitement right now. I payed with the bucket(sorry, can't remember the actual names right now), and it's a beast of a weapon on turf wars, and I can picture myself doing well with it on ranked too. The gatlin is really damn cool. I won't be using it much though, but it would make one heck of a support weapon in ranked! The current weapon set feels very complete now.

The playstyles this game offers are just insane. Selecting weapons and gear is not a trivial thing, as they change your approach to battle/inking turf drastically. I've played a few online shooters - especially a ton of Battlefield - and aside from changing classes altogether, your playstyle don't really change that much. There's just something really special about Splatoon, and I hope it gets a significant sales boost with this update, and more word-of-mouth promotion.

One more loss and I'm going back to B+ rank. :(

Vecks

After trying it for a few more rounds, I don't think I'll be using the splatling much. I prefer more running and gunning.

Violet_0

Banned
so the original idea was to go down in rank but my teams were good and then I kind of felt obliged to secure the wins. Plus, TC is just more fun than SZ

any squad battles going on?

backlot

I've only done two person squad battles but just knowing you will have at least one dependable person on your team helps so much.

Phenomic

I've been out of the game for a few weeks now thanks to FF14, but that's toning back down into a weekly grind that I'm finishing up easily now and with 2.0 I'm ready to jump back into being a Squid (or maybe a kid?)

Anyway, is there an optimal gear pattern to go for? I know most people suggest ink resistance (and I have them on my boots), but there's a lot of slots for other things? Any must have trios? Things of that nature or theory crafting that goes into what you want to be the best Squid you can be?

Robotguy

I've been out of the game for a few weeks now thanks to FF14, but that's toning back down into a weekly grind that I'm finishing up easily now and with 2.0 I'm ready to jump back into being a Squid (or maybe a kid?)

Anyway, is there an optimal gear pattern to go for? I know most people suggest ink resistance (and I have them on my boots), but there's a lot of slots for other things? Any must have trios? Things of that nature or theory crafting that goes into what you want to be the best Squid you can be?
What weapons do you play? Certain gear works better with certain weapons than others, also, you may want to vary your gear based on game mode some.

DaBoss

I don't really like Tower control on Neo Underpass. It is really dependent on having weapons that can damage over walls.

And A+ has suddenly gotten even more shittier than usual. Like holy crap are comebacks easier for me and the enemy team.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Match 1

Enemy Team:

B+
B+
A+
B+

My Team

4 x B+

Match 2

Enemy Team

A
A-
B
B

My Team

4 x B

---

Sorry to keep complaining but this is getting on my nerves. I'm losing all my interest in this fucking game, as great it is. But that kind of matchmaking doesn't just happen occasionally, it's on all the time. Or at least for me it is.

I'm really trying to forget the rank but it would actually be nice to win every now and them. I've been losing today over 10 matches. One after another. Yes, it must be me. But whether I'm a bad player or not, that kind of matchmaking is a fact and it happens more often than not.

Ok, now I'll shut up.

To commiserate with you ... I go on long losing streaks in this game, too, all the time. And yes, it's very disheartening. I don't know what can even be done to fix that. Maybe only play in GAF squad battles?

Vecks

IMO, there's no such thing as one set of must-have abilities. It depends on your weapon and how you plan to play. If you're playing a close range, instant kill weapon like luna blaster/roller/brush and want to sneak around fast, go ninja squid. If your enemy is constantly using echo locator, you might want to use cold-blooded. If you got bombs, bomb range up is a great way to safely poke enemy territory from a distance or knock down chargers. If you play chargers (not squiffer), boosting damage up will allow you to kill quicker by using a shorter charge. If you plan on dying a lot by playing really aggressive and don't plan on using specials, you can use beakons and go for quick respawn/comeback to keep the pressure up. If you find yourself running out of ink in tight situations, you might want to use ink saver or ink recovery. If you have an important special to support the team (like echo locator), maybe you can try special charge up.

All this is just to give you a little idea of what you can do. But really, I think it's best if you just play and see what you need for your play style.

Ansatz

Are people liking the changes to Underpass and Mall (refering to splat zones)? I feel that these two stages lost their unique dynamics and play out like any other standard Splatoon map now. I haven't played Moray Towers yet so I can't comment but that was the third map out of those that stood out from the rest in terms of the meta.

Underpass mid is no longer easy to lock down, it's not the end of the world now if you loose the first encounter. The Mall changes makes it easier to counter chargers, it used to be that whichever team get's the charger wins. Moray was special because it favored holding extremely passive positions while people where casually feeling each other in mid, waiting for mistakes, not really committing to an assault. I liked that each of these maps had a unique identity and dynamic.

I think the team intends to balance literally all maps and all weapons so that each one is viable on every map, and also keep randomized teams in regular matchmaking. They favor chaotic unpredictability while it's hard to methodically establish control of a map.

Also bonus: inkzooka is useless on underpass. There's just too many trees and pillars that block the shots.

Finalow

GAF carry me to SSSS rank pls

I want to pick this up again with this new update but I've got almost no time now and more games to finish, maybe before MGSV comes out I can manage.

Top Bottom