• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

NotLiquid

tumblr_nso7ggErpK1schtyno1_1280.jpg

Geg

Just played one of my best games ever on Moray, I'm pretty sure I wiped out the whole enemy team at one point just by shooting them because they were all bunched together. Ended the game with 10 kills and 1 death

edit: Haha one of them was even rank S

ChrisD

I've always seen Callie as the snarky one...

I think I am starting to see the light.

You seen the waving Easter egg in the plaza? If you hold ZR to look into the studio both of them will wave at you with a smile. Callie's looks earnest, Marie's looks like she's just telling you to please go away, lol.

Mr. Sam

try resetting your Wii U console

after I downloaded the update it wouldn't let me receive the news update because it said I didn't have internet. backed out a few times and that didn't work. turned the console off and then back on and everything was fine.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Vecks

Dudes..so I just started playing ranked last night(though I've played a million regular matches). Anyway, I'm at the lowest of ranks. Anyhow, do you have any tips? I am so frustrated at the random players I am teamed with who seem like they have no idea what is going on. I can't tell you how many times I've saved my "team" from death in tower control at the last second only to look at my mini-map to see my "squad" mates nowhere nearby at all. I was literally fighting alone. I played like 10 matches last night, splatted like a true champion. I was relentless, yet still lost 9 out of 10 matches. The only match I won I just happened to be on a team that actually worked together. This shit makes my blood boil. How on earth can anyone manage to get to an S rank is beyond me.

That's pretty much what everyone says, so welcome to ranked. :)
I think it gets a little better as you go up, but you could also try joining some people here in squad battles.

As for tips, I don't consider myself a great player, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but these are some things that I tell myself to do:

1) Don't worry about winning the objective at the start, or else you'll be a clean target. You'll want to clear the area first. Look around. See if you can kill one or two squids before really focusing on the objective. With the comeback mechanics, losing the objective early won't be a big deal, as long as they don't hold it for long.

2) Don't always follow the same (and shortest) path to the objective. Dividing up and going around makes it harder for the enemy to defend since they can't see where you're coming from. Also, if you are trying to sneak up on someone, avoid firing too much until you get a clear shot. The sound of inking around might alert them to your presence early.

3) Always glance back once in a while during the quieter moments. They might be doing the stuff in 2).

4) This might be obvious but, if possible, don't stand on the splat zone and avoid bunching up on the tower.

5) Ink or re-ink any paths that they could come from. Keep an eye out on those paths.

6) Try to keep the pressure up with any useful subs for the mode. Suction bombs and splash wall are good for tower. Sprinkler is pretty helpful in splat zone if you find some good locations.

Oidisco

Hey quick question, in tri-squad ranked do you get any buffs when you get matched with a 4-player team?

Because either we got some crazy buffs or we played like gods for 5 games in a row

At C-, winning in Ranked boils down to carrying a bunch of nimrods unless you get lucky.

You really should be stomping over the vast majority of people at C- and C. Just swim up to them and bop them over the head with a roller.

Hey quick question, in tri-squad ranked do you get any buffs when you get matched with a 4-player team?

Because either we got some crazy buffs or we played like gods for 5 games in a row

You get faster respawn times, but that's all I know of. Running Tenacity is pretty nice since it fills no matter what.

Burnburn, are you still in a squad?

DaBoss

I always thought A+ was half bad though. The early days of A+ were much harder than the later days. Though it is probably due to how Ranked points system worked (pre-update?) and how it favored ranking up.

It's just worse than before now.

Fucking asshole. lost 20 points in a disconnect.

I cannot go in random ranked matches anymore, team mates are too tower-phobic to even win.

Edit: Don't go spamming c'mon if I'm the only one pushing the damn tower team mate, you're just camping at their spawn.

How does the new level up system work? I won a regular match and went from level 20 to level 29, but I just won two ranked matches, with the first being a knockout, and I'm still level 29.

Leatherface

That's pretty much what everyone says, so welcome to ranked. :)
I think it gets a little better as you go up, but you could also try joining some people here in squad battles.

As for tips, I don't consider myself a great player, so you can take this with a grain of salt, but these are some things that I tell myself to do:

1) Don't worry about winning the objective at the start, or else you'll be a clean target. You'll want to clear the area first. Look around. See if you can kill one or two squids before really focusing on the objective. With the comeback mechanics, losing the objective early won't be a big deal, as long as they don't hold it for long.

2) Don't always follow the same (and shortest) path to the objective. Dividing up and going around makes it harder for the enemy to defend since they can't see where you're coming from. Also, if you are trying to sneak up on someone, avoid firing too much until you get a clear shot. The sound of inking around might alert them to your presence early.

3) Always glance back once in a while during the quieter moments. They might be doing the stuff in 2).

4) This might be obvious but, if possible, don't stand on the splat zone and avoid bunching up on the tower.

5) Ink or re-ink any paths that they could come from. Keep an eye out on those paths.

6) Try to keep the pressure up with any useful subs for the mode. Suction bombs and splash wall are good for tower. Sprinkler is pretty helpful in splat zone if you find some good locations.

Thanks. I will hit the ranked battles again tonight with this in mind. I seem to do fine defending the tower so long as I'm not actually on it (lol) I think there are some things I can do to make these matches go better. Being a little more sly about how I approach the focus point and maybe preventing others from getting there to begin with by cutting off popular routes is a good start. I shall try it. The straight forward approach has netted me plenty of kills but in tower control the key is keeping that tower moving....which it would do if I had less shitty team mates gah! :p

WALKMAN04

The only guy who ever touched the tower on your team was the dynamo roller it felt like. And yes, it refuses to put us together
I rode the tower to your side then he jumped on everytime, so I gave it to him, I don't like riding the tower as a charger on underpass, to many obstacles and corners

Top Bottom