• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Nico_D

Well, one things for certain: they haven't fixed matchmaking. If there's two A+'s among B+'s in the lobby, it's still about 10 % per cent chance that they're both in my team - instead of that they're both in the other team.

Better yet, why doesn't matchmaking separate them? Really? Like, putting one A+ in each of the teams? Nooo... Unheard of.

I just can't understand what's reasoning behind this. Sure, you can get bigger points if you beat better team but what's actually the chance of that happening? It's just pain and extremely unfunny to play against better players, it strips away the joy. And I thought "fun" was Nintendo's basic principle or something.

Geg

Well, one things for certain: they haven't fixed matchmaking. If there's two A+'s among B+'s in the lobby, it's still about 10 % per cent chance that they're both in my team - instead of that they're both in the other team.

Better yet, why doesn't matchmaking separate them? Really? Like, putting one A+ in each of the teams? Nooo... Unheard of.

I just can't understand what's reasoning behind this. Sure, you can get bigger points if you beat better team but what's actually the chance of that happening? It's just pain and extremely unfunny to play against better players, it strips away the joy. And I thought "fun" was Nintendo's basic principle or something.

I think it's completely random who ends up on what teams in those lobbies. The actual matchmaking is who gets in the room, while the teams are up to random chance

Nico_D

I think it's completely random who ends up on what teams in those lobbies. The actual matchmaking is who gets in the room, while the teams are up to random chance

Probably, yeah. Then I just must have bad luck.

Anyway, lobbies should be reserved to only to that level of players - or maybe one up or below. But I've already seen multiple S's in B+ lobby. It's also psychological: if, say, B+ player (me, for example) sees a A+ or even S player, he gets nervous and starts doing stupid shit which he wouldn't (probably) normally do - like not trying to attack since he thinks in his stupid little head that he'd most likely lose. Which easily means game over.

Vecks

Played about an hour of ranked last night and went up to A+. The matches don't seem as intense as before the patch. I'm wondering if all the good players have already moved up to S.

Played about an hour of ranked last night and went up to A+. The matches don't seem as intense as before the patch. I'm wondering if all the good players have already moved up to S.

I thought it would take at least a week to get like that, but I guess Iook forward to lucking my way back to A+ lol.

Crayolan

Here's my weapon list:

wapm9fS.png

#NotADetriment

Chill out Marie, jesus

5nr21kr.png

Zing

Banned
Voice chat is great. I hope more people get in the discord server. And actually use mics, unlike certain lamers I know.

Going to eat lunch then decide if I play more or go swimming.

Gnilres

Voice chat is great. I hope more people get in the discord server. And actually use mics, unlike certain lamers I know.

Going to eat lunch then decide if I play more or go swimming.

Can you please explain how the Discord server works?

Violet_0

Banned
someone explain me why S ranks don't earn or lose points in squad battles
takes away half the fun of ranked mode, whether you win or lose doesn't really matter for you
I'm lame : /

Zing

Banned
Can you please explain how the Discord server works?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=174018831

Basically go to website, create account. Download the app, plug in headphone/mic. Click the invite link hidden in the post I just linked. You will join the chat room and can go from there.

takes away half the fun of ranked mode, whether you win or lose doesn't really matter for you
Win or lose already doesn't matter to me (in regard to rank). I just care about the points, which you earn regardless. All the rank means to anyone really is the skill level of your opponents in matchmaking. If you are legitimately an "S", then you should be right where you belong.

Got a triple kill with killer wail in tower control overtime when enemy team was one point away from winning the game. The buff is just too good.

Gnilres

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=174018831

Basically go to website, create account. Download the app, plug in headphone/mic. Click the invite link hidden in the post I just linked. You will join the chat room and can go from there.

Win or lose already doesn't matter to me. I just care about the points, which you earn regardless. All the rank means to anyone really is the skill level of your opponents in matchmaking. If you are legitimately an "S", then you should be right where you belong.

Thank you, will try this soon.

Geg

I'm off work this afternoon so I might try some squads. Hopefully you won't mind me in a room that will probably be full of S ranks lol

It makes it so much less stressful though! I played some tower control in Heng's private room and splat zones in Azure's yesterday and it was great fun

Violet_0

Banned
Win or lose already doesn't matter to me (in regard to rank). I just care about the points, which you earn regardless. All the rank means to anyone really is the skill level of your opponents in matchmaking. If you are legitimately an "S", then you should be right where you belong.
right, but I sort of miss playing for something even if it's just an arbitrary number. It's just another weird design decision to me

Go de-rank in solo, so you can suffer like we did

that's the plan, lol. I want to feel excited about winning a game

Vecks

Maybe to keep the population healthy and mixed on ranked for those who don't want to feel forced to join squad in order to rank up. Gives more incentive to go play ranked from time to time. Besides, squad battles are quite the mess because any rank can join the team, so the matchmaking (if there is any) is even more messed up. It wouldn't be much of a metric. Last night we faced a huge spectrum of players from A's to C's, with squads mixed in ranks (going against 1 A and 3 Cs was pretty funny) because I'm sure it's mostly for fun, to be able to compete alongside your friends.

WALKMAN04

splat zones is where the real skill is though
Splat zones requires more teamwork, I don't have to rely on my team as much in tower control and just ride the tower myself, it's also really fun to get charger kills while on the tower. Also like I said I hardly ever lose in tower control so it's obviously not luck, and I got to max rank playing splat zones so kind of played a lot of it and just want to have more fun and I find tower control more fun.

Grakl

Splat zones requires more teamwork, I don't have to rely on my team as much in tower control and just ride the tower myself, it's also really fun to get charger kills while on the tower. Also like I said I hardly ever lose in tower control so it's obviously not luck, and I got to max rank playing splat zones so kind of played a lot of it and just want to have more fun and I find tower control more fun.

yeah I wasn't serious, tower control is definitely more fun though, I agree

Zing

Banned
Thanks, the majority of my play time will be in the next rotation and hopefully it will be tower control as I hardly ever lose in tower control, hoping to ride that wave to S+
What weapon do you use? Dual squelcher still? Are you on discord?

It is my mission to get everyone on discord by this evening. :D

WALKMAN04

yeah I wasn't serious, tower control is definitely more fun though, I agree
There is more suspense in the mode for me I don't know why, I also like that the battle takes place throughout the map rather then the middle. Splat zones is still great though.
What weapon do you use? Dual squelcher still? Are you on discord?

It is my mission to get everyone on discord by this evening. :D
For ranked I use the e-liter mostly but I bring anything I feel like playing into it and i do well enough to keep my 99, it's fun bringing new things into ranked. Also I hardly ever bring dual squelchers into ranked despite it being my favorite weapon I don't know why I just dont bring them often. I also am not on the discord server because I am mostly on my iPad when playing and checking gaf, if I get into keeping a computer nearby then I would join you guys.

Exile20

There is more suspense in the mode for me I don't know why, I also like that the battle takes place throughout the map rather then the middle. Splat zones is still great though.

For ranked I use the e-liter mostly but I bring anything I feel like playing into it and i do well enough to keep my 99, it's fun bringing new things into ranked. Also I hardly ever bring dual squelchers into ranked despite it being my favorite weapon I don't know why I just dont bring them often. I also am not on the discord server because I am mostly on my iPad when playing and checking gaf, if I get into keeping a computer nearby then I would join you guys.

The app works on the ipad too I believe, Just get a cheap headset.

Totakeke

I just reached S+, and in the ~6 hours it took me I've only met one S+ player. Moreover, since I've achieved S+ I have only been in lobbies with S, A+, A and A- players. Not a single S+ player. There are almost no S+ players. Hence a an S+ player you will only be put in lobbies with lower ranks (until more people become S+). What's so bad about this? Well, with the new point system you will only get 1 point when winning, while losing ~8 points when losing. No matter how good you are, it is extremely difficult to win over 8 matches without losing a single one, because all A+ players are equal, but some less than others. And you're definitely gonna get the shitty A+ players in your team before you've played 8 matches (heck, I can't even get to three matches!).
What I am trying to say is: until more people reach S+, it is not worthwhile to play ranked battles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/3g0qz1/psa_ranked_battles_arent_worth_it_yet_at_s/

Good luck on that S+ 99 Walkman.

Zing

Banned
Maybe I will give it a try then. How is the voice chat feature for iPad, like do you hear clearly? I will also have to find a decent pair of headphones to use.
I have tried both the standard apple headset/mic and a sennheiser set. Both sound fine. You may even be able to just use the speakerphone? Haven't tried it.

Nico_D

Match 1

Enemy Team:

B+
B+
A+
B+

My Team

4 x B+

Match 2

Enemy Team

A
A-
B
B

My Team

4 x B

---

Sorry to keep complaining but this is getting on my nerves. I'm losing all my interest in this fucking game, as great it is. But that kind of matchmaking doesn't just happen occasionally, it's on all the time. Or at least for me it is.

I'm really trying to forget the rank but it would actually be nice to win every now and them. I've been losing today over 10 matches. One after another. Yes, it must be me. But whether I'm a bad player or not, that kind of matchmaking is a fact and it happens more often than not.

Ok, now I'll shut up.

WALKMAN04

Well someone has to get S+ to broaden its player base, might as well be me lol. I'll see how it goes, if I find it annoying to rank up due to getting a low amount of points a round I might take a break and just play later.

I have tried both the standard apple headset/mic and a sennheiser set. Both sound fine. You may even be able to just use the speakerphone? Haven't tried it.
Will give it a try when I get the chance, thanks.

Jims

Is having Discord or voice chat going to be a requirement for playing in Squads or Private Battles here? I'm one of those weirdos that don't have a smartphone and my desktop is upstairs, so doing voice chat is going to be difficult for me.

I guess I should just stay out the more serious and competitive Squad Battles, but would anyone care if I still jumped into random Private Rooms? I don't want to be a detriment to the fun.

Top Bottom