• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Codeblue

The larger the team is, the more shitty players it will have simply because the large majority of players in this game are awful. If popularity wasn't counted the larger team would always be at a disadvantage. I'm surprised the win rates were so close.

I was on Team Cat lol

You guys have to remember that more people from the "masses" means a lot more lower-skill players as well. I know DogGAF was carrying their teams most of the time. I sure as hell was.

This logic is inherently flawed. There were more people period, and there's no way to know whether or not the ratio of bad to good was affected.

RedFyn

Freedom vs. Liberty

Should've been today's splatfest
Good idea. Missed opportunity. Themes around holidays would be great.

Pirates vs ninjas even. Actually pop vs rock could have worked in Japan, where it seems to actually exist. Kind of.

Europe on the other hand...
How big is rock in Japan?

"Dolphins vs Sharks" ?
Killer wail beats the kraken. I'm sure it would have no problem with a shark

Red vs. Blue
Coke vs. Pepsi
Waffles vs. Pancakes
80s vs. 90s
90s vs. 00s
Chinese Food vs Pizza

Not necessarily the best, but I wonder how many of these would come close.
Not bad.

•Red obviously beats blue unless we're talking Pokemon
•I believe Coke still has the mind share over Pepsi at least in the us.
•90s by a landslide
•90s but only because early 2ks is normally "viewed" as the 90s
•Pizza. Nothing to debate here

For future polls I'd like to see,

Apples versus oranges.
Salted popcorn versus sweet.
Vampires versus werewolves.
Mario versus Luigi.
Action versus comedy.
Sex versus food.
•Apples
•Salted would take 90% of the vote. What is sweet popcorn? Kettle corn? If so then count me in the 10%.
•Harry Potter
•Wah. Wario vs Waluigi
•Good comedy beats good Acton
•....I kind of want them to do this just to see the reaction

ryechu

Damn i got some great rolls. DMG up shirt with ink saver main, saver sub, and ink refill. Dmg hat with dmg up sup, and two bomb distance ups. And tenacity glasses with 3 special savers. Only used up 13 rolls.

Crayolan

This logic is inherently flawed. There were more people period, and there's no way to know whether or not the ratio of bad to good was affected.

A good player on team cat is more likely to be matched up against a bad player on team dog than vice versa.

There's also the dog vs. dog matches to consider, which waste time dog players could have spent getting wins against cats.

ViviOggi

More people means less variance, so the more popular team is gonna be more representative of the overall playerbase in its skill spread - and as with any competitive, high skill ceiling game the vast majority of players plays at a pretty low skill level. On the flipside the less popular team will have higher variance in player quality, which indeed can swing either way. Going by the winrate Team Cat seems to have an overall higher skill level than Team Dog, but yeah we can't say for sure without more data (whicn I'd be extremely surprised to see from Nintendo).

It's kind of tricky though, I assume with the current tally formula they want to counter that variance but if the less popular team also ends up with less skilled players overall it'll be legit unfair. Probably best to just leave out the popularity part and only count winrate.

je_ssi e

Spent all my snails trying to roll three of the same subs on my stuff and got nothing! Almost feel worse off than before. Aha.

Also sucks that the theory didn't play out, where we were waiting for the 3-Map rotation to stick after Splatfests. Looks like they're just going to keep that amount of maps to events.

Darn.

Yup, the Splatfest songs are permanently unlocked in Squid Beatz now.
Awesome.
Really loved those tunes. 18 won't be the one I always play now.
All the good dog teams were stuck battling each other. Being massively more popular isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

Also, the winrate was given a "x2" in the final tally, so it's clear that battling makes a significant difference.
That's something I think some are forgetting.
The Dog vs. Dog battles didn't count towards your teams score. And, being more popular that scenario happened more often. Team Cat probably didn't have that problem so often (if at all) so their wins would have a higher chance to be added.

Dogs may have had more wins. But, they didn't count because winning those battle were an inevitability for that team. A wash, in the end.

The popularity vote is needed imo, because of the above.
Cats probably would have won by a lot more if it weren't for all the uneven 1 vs 4 matches too
^This, too.

JonnyKong

You guys don't have sweet popcorn in America? Hmm it's kind of hard to explain the flavour really. (I'm not going to say sweet tasting I promise haha)

Got to the second to last rank, don't think I can be bothered grinding up the 99 points.

As long as I can upgrade my Octoling armour and boots to 3 star I'm happy.

Codeblue

A good player on team cat is more likely to be matched up against a bad player on team dog than vice versa.

There's also the dog vs. dog matches to consider, which waste time dog players could have spent getting wins against cats.

You are presuming that the ratio of bad to good players becomes skewed with greater numbers, which is questionable. If that were the case then we should have seen a larger disparity in the win/loss percentage given the huge gulf between popularity percentages.

The second point is irrelevant since the number of counted games on each side was the same and the people that got selected to play against their own team was random.

I'm just saying, having large popularity differences be insurmountable is probably not a great policy and puts the developers in a position where they need to somehow create polls where they can accurately predict a near even spread.

ViviOggi

That's something I think some are forgetting.
The Dog vs. Dog battles didn't count towards your teams score. And, being more popular that scenario happened more often. Team Cat probably didn't have that problem so often so their wins were always added.

Dogs may have had more wins. But, they didn't count because winning those battle were an inevitability for that team. A wash, in the end.

That makes no sense. Dog vs. Dog matches always result in one win and one loss for the team, and there's no "wasting time" that's relevant to the final outcome as the only matches that count are Cat vs. Dog. When Dog plays themselves Cat doesn't pull matches out of thin air in the meantime, if they're playing they're still playing against Dogs. Like there's no scenario where Dogs would somehow be stuck in an DvD fight giving an advantage to the Cats, because counted matches only come to be when there's four players of both teams to match against in the first place. In the extreme case of all Dogs fighting themselves there simply won't be a counted match until Dogs become available again.

Man, I don't even understand what is going on right now. Last night Team Pop teammates were unbelievable, we were all flawlessly synced up and took total control of the map within 30 seconds every single time. This morning they're absolutely atrocious, literally so dumb that I can't comprehend how they're even capable of breathing. Rollers standing in front of the enemy respawn point trying to roll over people, blasters trying to ink turf that others are already doing way better, everyone staring at a roller running up behind me while I'm doing an inkstrike, then just ignoring him.

You know what, may as well pack it all up now, Team Rock has clearly won this on the grounds that their players seem to know what the shoot button is.

Haha, had a match of me on my own vs a full 4 person rock team.
They must've felt sorry for me when they saw the starting sequence but it quickly turned to horror when I met them in the middle of the map and slaughtered them enmasse. Ended up pushing them back to their spawn and probably would've won if one hadn't managed to finally get me.
Ended with me on a measly 13.8% coverage but a 12 to 2 KD ratio. Gotta say, Carbon Roller is really working out for me, even if I'm not all that great with the inkzooka part of it XD

My KDs have been pretty brutal for most matches with I think my best being 11/0 but even that and scoring top coverage in my team as well hasn't been able to carry everyone. Some teams seem to just be beyond saving sadly :(

I've done my best for Pop though. Considering that popularity seems to be a big part I doubt I've made a big enough dent but it was fun anyhoo :D

ViviOggi

Man, I don't even understand what is going on right now. Last night Team Pop teammates were unbelievable, we were all flawlessly synced up and took total control of the map within 30 seconds every single time. This morning they're absolutely atrocious, literally so dumb that I can't comprehend how they're even capable of breathing. Rollers standing in front of the enemy respawn point trying to roll over people, blasters trying to ink turf that others are already doing way better, everyone staring at a roller running up behind me while I'm doing an inkstrike, then just ignoring him.

You know what, may as well pack it all up now, Team Rock has clearly won this on the grounds that their players seem to know what the shoot button is.

Well apparently you still get a whopping 18 snails for being max rank on the losing team, so grinding that is definitely worth it. Just stick with good teams for as long as possible.

Gizuko

How big is rock in Japan?

Probably not as big as pop, but there are or were some random rock groups with a bit of popularity, or at least you'd think so if they ended up doing anime openings - which seem to be mostly pop.

But yes, it could end up being the other way around, something so directly influenced by fads as music is, is not a good idea for this kind of event.

Heh, yeah. My first team of the night was so good that I actually kinda just diverted myself to setting up beacons for them (I was running Kraken for the heck of it)
The teams towards the end had me saying "what do you want me to do? I killed the entire team and painted their half of the map but you still lost somehow. Do you want me to press your buttons for you or something?"

Crayolan

You are presuming that the ratio of bad to good players becomes skewed with greater numbers, which is questionable. If that were the case then we should have seen a larger disparity in the win/loss percentage given the huge gulf between popularity percentages.

The second point is irrelevant since the number of counted games on each side was the same and the people that got selected to play against their own team was random.

I'm just saying, having large popularity differences be insurmountable is probably not a great policy and puts the developers in a position where they need to somehow create polls where they can accurately predict a near even spread.
That makes no sense. Dog vs. Dog matches always result in one win and one loss for the team, and there's no "wasting time" that's relevant to the final outcome as the only matches that count are Cat vs. Dog. When Dog plays themselves Cat doesn't pull matches out of thin air in the meantime, if they're playing they're still playing against Dogs. Like there's no scenario where Dogs would somehow be stuck in an DvD fight giving an advantage to the Cats, because counted matches only come to be when there's four players of both teams to match against in the first place. In the extreme case of all Dogs fighting themselves there simply won't be a counted match until Dogs become available again.

It wastes the time of good dog players. The number of good dog players (as opposed to bad dog players) is very small and so every time two opposing teams with good dog players on them are pitted against one another that's 2 likely wins they would have gotten had they been pitted against cat teams lost. Yes, other dog players are still playing against whatever cat players they would have potentially been pitted against, but odds are that those dog players are bad and are much less likely to net a win for team dog than the good players stuck fighting other dogs.

Azusa

Probably not as big as pop, but there are or were some random rock groups with a bit of popularity, or at least you'd think so if they ended up doing anime openings - which seem to be mostly pop.

What is rock and what is pop? If you check latest Rock in Japan roster there are many popular pop groups. But they position itself as rock group. In the end it doesn't matter.

Heh, yeah. My first team of the night was so good that I actually kinda just diverted myself to setting up beacons for them (I was running Kraken for the heck of it)
The teams towards the end had me saying "what do you want me to do? I killed the entire team and painted their half of the map but you still lost somehow. Do you want me to press your buttons for you or something?"

Totally. One of these matches I locked down the entire middle of the map for almost the entire game (as an inkbrush), then died for the first time just under a min before the end and suddenly we lost the entire map straight back to the spawn point. It defies belief that 3 players couldn't even hold back 1 person when I held off 4 for most of the match.

Last night towards the end I totally fell back to support because the teams were so good at holding the frontline that I only needed to be there to ink ground and toss spriklers/inkstrikes as cover to keep them alive.

ryechu

there is a lot of fail being flung around in this thread. The dog vs dog situation has no effect on the luck argument. The chance of good dog players being sequestered in dog lobbies is the same as bad players.

However, the cat team being the smaller team will likely increase its chances of winning. I'd suggest two reasons for this. One exceptionally good player is not an equal counterpart to an equally rare bad one. Most competitive games have noted the effect that a team of with a high variance in rankings performes at a team mmr closer to that of the highest player.

Cat team being smaller, has a greater chance to have a population with more variance (basic statistical tenet). While the variance is greater, the mean skill level should be similar to dogs, disregarding culteral confounds. However, if the skilled are more valuable than the newbs are worthless, then cat team has an statistical adv. Not only this, but given that cat players on average played more catvdog splatfest matches than dog players, you could argue that these players may have gotten more experience, all things equal, when compared to dog players.

Regardless of all of these factors, a 51 vs 49 winrate is a hilariously close winrate. The color of the team you choose in other games have been shown effect greater winrate changes than this.

There is no way cat should have won with such a winrate, given the clear advantage that adding more snails to more players has over rewarding such dubious evidence in favor of skill.

If you are going to complain about cats losing, then come up with an equation for points. Given cats winrate, I'd bet the equation that would make cat win only takes into account winrate, which is retarded. You can imagine the most ridiculous scenario where 99 percent vote team A yet team B wins 51% of the games. Team B should not win.

tsundoku

there is a lot of fail being flung around in this thread. The dog vs dog situation has no effect on the luck argument. The chance of good dog players being sequestered in dog lobbies is the same as bad players.

However, the cat team being the smaller team will likely increase its chances of winning. I'd suggest two reasons for this. One exceptionally good player is not an equal counterpart to an equally rare bad one. Most competitive games have noted the effect that a team of with a high variance in rankings performes at a team mmr closer to that of the highest player.

Cat team being smaller, has a greater chance to have a population with more variance (basic statistical tenet). While the variance is greater, the mean skill level should be similar to dogs, disregarding culteral confounds. However, if the skilled are more valuable than the newbs are worthless, then cat team has an statistical adv. Not only this, but given that cat players on average played more catvdog splatfest matches than dog players, you could argue that these players may have gotten more experience, all things equal, when compared to dog players.

Regardless of all of these factors, a 51 vs 49 winrate is a hilariously close winrate. The color of the team you choose in other games have been shown effect greater winrate changes than this.

There is no way cat should have won with such a winrate, given the clear advantage that adding more snails to more players has over rewarding such dubious evidence in favor of skill.

If you are going to complain about cats losing, then come up with an equation for points. Given cats winrate, I'd bet the equation that would make cat win only takes into account winrate, which is retarded. You can imagine the most ridiculous scenario where 99 percent vote team A yet team B wins 51% of the games. Team B should not win.

Here it takes about 2 seconds:
King/Queen 18 Snails
Defender 14 snails
whatever 7 snails
participant: 3 snails

And then let whichever team actually won the winrate just have bragging rights. Its equally as ridiculous to give 24 snails to dog kings and queens.

Ozium

Tentatek just shot themselves in the foot.

I don’t know how much the rest of you know about Inkling culture (I’m an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It’s not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Inkopolis, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Inkling public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase new Weapons, nor will they purchase any new Gear. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Tentatek has alienated an entire market with this move.

Tentatek, publicly apologize and give Team Cat the win or you can kiss your business goodbye.

ryechu

King/Queen 18 Snails
Defender 14 snails
whatever 7 snails

And then let whichever team actually won the winrate just have bragging rights. Its equally as ridiculous to give 24 snails to dog kings and queens.

No its not. If it means nothing than it makes sense to give the greatest number of snails out. If the differnece in winrate is statistically insignificant, then they not sacrificing anything by deciding to give candy to 6 people over 4. Especially when those 4 think they deserve something because their average weight is greater.

Crayolan

We need a statistician in this thread.

King/Queen 18 Snails
Defender 14 snails
whatever 7 snails

You're greatly overvaluing snails. They're just a time saver. That's it. You're not really losing out on some amazing thing by losing the splatfest.

RedFyn

But yes, it could end up being the other way around, something so directly influenced by fads as music is, is not a good idea for this kind of event.
That's what I figured but you said they should do it in Japan so I was curious if rock was secretly popular over there. I wonder how NA would vote.

You guys don't have sweet popcorn in America? Hmm it's kind of hard to explain the flavour really. (I'm not going to say sweet tasting I promise haha)
We have sweet popcorn here. I just dont know what it is and google isn't being very helpful. Is it just butter and sugar?

Butter and salt is the staple popcorn topping. Everything else is just a sideshow attraction no matter how much better it normally is.

Gizuko

What is rock and what is pop? If you check latest Rock in Japan roster there are many popular pop groups. But they position itself as rock group. In the end it doesn't matter.

Mmmm I was talking from an European perspective, and didn't know about this, so I guess I'm missing too much information in that regard.

That's what I figured but you said they should do it in Japan so I was curious if rock was secretly popular over there. I wonder how NA would vote.

Well, going by Azusa's post they might have a different "rock/pop standard" so it might still be popular enough - even if the genre wouldn't be considered rock in EU/NA.

Still, I had actually taken for granted rock's popularity, hence the first post.

What the fuck is with all the laggy rollers at the moment?

Just killed a roller from a safe distance, went around a corner, killed someone else, then I randomly died and the camera showed me the roller I killed a good 5 seconds ago.

Infuriating.

We have sweet popcorn here. I just dont know what it is and google isn't being very helpful. Is it just butter and sugar?

Butter and salt is the staple popcorn topping. Everything else is just a sideshow attraction no matter how much better it normally is.

Sweet popcorn has a very light coating of sugar, nothing else. It preserves the texture and light crunchiness of plain popcorn but obviously is a lot sweeter. It's the more popular choice here, to the point where bagged stuff is always called "cinema style". Sweet vs salty popcorn would really only work if it were an international splatfest as it'd basically be Europe vs US.

Busaiku

Just killed a roller from a safe distance, went around a corner, killed someone else, then I randomly died and the camera showed me the roller I killed a good 5 seconds ago.

Infuriating.
Probably from a different region, since many of US are getting up.

LayLa

Infuriating.

this was happening to me all last night, got to the point that if I saw a roller I went in the opposite direction rather than engage.
finally got to try the old "drop a mine on the spot where someone is warping in and enjoy watching them explode when they land".

Just went into a game and saw we only had 3 people so assumed we'd lose horribly.

I sprinted to the centre asap and proceeded to kill all four enemies, and then got to a total of 7 kills before dying, and ended with 15-2 and we won about 60-30.

Feels fucking good.

NeoRausch

If somebody sees a player called SplatSam... Punch him in the face for me, thanks!

Dude is just standing at the base waiting for some enemies to come by and then shoot for a few second.... UGH!

Rize_21

Japan had a sponsored splatfest. Does this mean Coca Cola vs Pepsi is possible?

Or Sony vs Microsoft. lol

If that happens, Splatoon will become a money printer, can't imagine how many super sea snails Coca Cola would put on the table for this.

this was happening to me all last night, got to the point that if I saw a roller I went in the opposite direction rather than engage.
finally got to try the old "drop a mine on the spot where someone is warping in and enjoy watching them explode when they land".

Infuriating.

Kinda confused why people associate rollers with this as I've seen it with just about every weapon. During the splatfest I had a squelcher kill me about 5 seconds after i'd broken line of sight with it by evading around a corner and I've had several aerosprays 'kill' me up to a whopping 10 seconds after i killed them.

Kinda confused why people associate rollers with this as I've seen it with just about every weapon. During the splatfest I had a squelcher kill me about 5 seconds after i'd broken line of sight with it by evading around a corner and I've had several aerosprays 'kill' me up to a whopping 10 seconds after i killed them.

I think it is typically because the kill message for the roller doesn't specify if you got rolled or splashed, so when you are dumping on one from miles away from them running you over and you either instantly die, or you kill them and then drop dead later with no signs of them splashing, it's very evident there is a problem. With projectile weapons there are far more variables, from you missing to them being a better shot, so the lag is harder to detect. As an inkbrush I find laggy rollers particularly frustrating since the distance I have to be within to hit with a swing is just barely enough to get the swings in I need to kill them before they run me over, if their position is even slightly out from what I see, I'm dead.

Top Bottom