• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

snail goodness will be perfect for upgrading all the amiibo gear!

nfPsM.jpg

Gizuko

Kinda confused why people associate rollers with this as I've seen it with just about every weapon. During the splatfest I had a squelcher kill me about 5 seconds after i'd broken line of sight with it by evading around a corner and I've had several aerosprays 'kill' me up to a whopping 10 seconds after i killed them.

From my experience, aside from multiple kills while out of sight (covering behind a corner), I have had only 1 instance where I was splatter seconds after the aerospray died.
Rollers, however, seems much worse since either there's a frigging wide line of enemy ink were there was none seconds ago (I just lost a match by 1% because of this) or you get splatted in a place you were before, despite moving someplace else.

It is not roller only, but getting-rolled-over salt + death-by-lag salt makes it worse, IMO.

So bought a Wii U last week and got Splatoon there yesterday. First day playing. Total newbie pretty much. Terrible at it so far. Still trying to get used to the sensitivity of the aiming, in and out of being a Squid. Any tips? Or any beginner tips in general?

Also, at the moment there's a Pop/Rock splatfest at the minute right, does that mean I can only play Splatfest based online? Everyone I'm up against is level 20, do I just have to ride it out to play normal online matches against lower level guys?

MouldyK

Went on a 7-Win Run with some nice Pop Team...connection broke!

Damn Rockers! Splitting the band up because we were amazing!

nom

So bought a Wii U last week and got Splatoon there yesterday. First day playing. Total newbie pretty much. Terrible at it so far. Still trying to get used to the sensitivity of the aiming, in and out of being a Squid. Any tips? Or any beginner tips in general?

Also, at the moment there's a Pop/Rock splatfest at the minute right, does that mean I can only play Splatfest based online? Everyone I'm up against is level 20, do I just have to ride it out to play normal online matches against lower level guys?

Splatfest will finish at 6pm today (UK time), it's a once a month event so you got a bit lucky/unlucky with the timing :p

Could be a good time to do the single player though and get used to the motion controls.

Zemm

So I got home early so can play the final few hours, I'm in a team now that just steam rolls everything.

I've learned that fixed teams vs random should never be allowed to happen outside of splatfest and I hope they stick to their fixed teams only play fixed teams promise. It's pretty boring winning so easily and I bet it's boring losing so fast too.

Violet_0

Banned
I think it is typically because the kill message for the roller doesn't specify if you got rolled or splashed

when a roller rolls over you the message says "you were squished by", with the ranged attack it's "you were splatted by" I think
or you get splatted in a place you were before, despite moving someplace else.
that's the thing with all lag kills. Your position shows up with a delay on their screen, they don't fire at your actual current position

Splatfest will finish at 6pm today (UK time), it's a once a month event so you got a bit lucky/unlucky with the timing :p

Could be a good time to do the single player though and get used to the motion controls.
It's fun alright but it feels like I'm letting the team down haha. One win and one loss though.

Are the motion controls preferred by players? First thing I did was turn them off!

Heng

If you're open to it, try playing with gyro. I would recommend starting with a very low sensitivity and raise it until you find the perfect combination of aiming fast and keeping the precision of aiming. The single player campaign is a great to practice it.

Treat the swim button as a sprint button like other shooters.

Avoid inking the same area as your teammates.

Practice being mobile, running around your opponent ambush them every chance you get.

Try not to ignore enemies; you may die a lot, but remember that it takes practice to become good at killing people. Some people would argue that you should avoid confrontation with the enemy but I'd say it's important not to let someone ink your area or cut off your escape route. It's usually going to end up with you being stuck knee deep in your enemy ink and left to die.

Don't shoot walls unless you need to use that wall to hide or go up. Don't worry about painting 100% and always try to to keep inking new territory.

More tips can be given to you if you tell us what weapons you're using or which ones you want to learn.

xinek

LOL at the heated discussion here trying to justify why slobbery and hyper team dog deserved their win over the dignified feline team.

I'd say Splatfest was a big success -- Nintendo really made it feel like an event. Can't wait for the next one!

massoluk

Banned
Damn, seeing my team just kept on rolling the feline, I thought Dog was going to win this in battle, though I did see way more competent Cat team near the end of the event.

when a roller rolls over you the message says "you were squished by", with the ranged attack it's "you were splatted by" I think

Huh, good to know. I had never noticed that. I guess now at least I can tell when a roller has turned me into a lag pancake and when they actually threw ink now.

Anteo

You will have the same experience in causal matches too. The matchmaking is not about the levels (as it doenst show how good you are) but about your playstyle.

In ranked battles, your current rank is used for the matchmaking. The rank is different from your current level too, so it's posible to be level 15 and B rank, or level 20 and E rank. You need to be at least level 10 to join ranked battles

Heng's advice should do you fairly well but if you want to be ripping stuff up asap a few key pointers I always tell myself from time to time are:

a) any time you spend not painting would've been spent better painting (aka don't get caught up in protracted fights. If you can't get the kill within a few seconds, go elsewhere. Same applies to ambushing, if they don't walk into your zone of death within a few seconds, slip away and get back to painting.)

b) Madness is attempting the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result (aka if your team gets killed trying to escape or advance along one route, try another instead of rushing the same one repeatedly :3 )

some other minor things:
* I pretty much just hold down the squid button at all times. When you hold or press fire you'll automatically turn into a kid so you can effectively get away with never letting go of the squid button. Keep in mind that not only is squid your 'sprint' but its also your 'reload' to top up that ink tank on your back. The only exception to this is while using the inkzooka which doesn't seem to work very well if you don't let go of the squid button for some reason :s
* you can super jump at ANY TIME by tapping a team-mate or the spawn point. A lot of players don't seem to realise you can still do it after leaving the spawn zone. Also works in single player for getting to the levels you've already uncovered :3 I sometimes super jump back to base or another player if I get trapped by the enemy. There's no honour in dying unnecessarily :p
* as I learned back in my Alien vs Predator days, most people don't look up. Attacking from above is often a good idea, so keep an eye out for any scalable walls you can paint and squid up to get a higher vantage point. Also keep in mind that while walls themselves don't count for team score, the flat top of high stuff does including the crates in oilrig and whatnot. If you're ever unsure just look at your score in the top right when you paint stuff: it'll go up if the thing you're painting is valid.
* if you see a kraken or roller coming at you, squid to reposition. Backpedalling can work but squid is always considerably faster and more manouverable, plus many people are terribad at tracking the ripples for some reason (even better if you have ninja squid as you won't leave any ripples at all)
* on the topic of ripples, you don't show up in ink at all unless you move at full speed so staying still or moving at less than full speed as a squid in your ink renders you effectively invisible. Great for escaping or setting up ambushes.
* for your personal points value, painting over enemy ink is worth twice the amount gained from inking an unpainted area, plus it also denies the enemy coverage while gaining it for your team so if you have the choice between painting a new area or painting over enemy ink, choose the enemy ink in the majority of cases.

Anyhoo, don't want to overload you with too much but that's some random stuff off the top of my head XD

Zing

Banned
Are the motion controls preferred by players? First thing I did was turn them off!
I suggest enabling it ASAP. It is a significant advantage.

Everyone I'm up against is level 20, do I just have to ride it out to play normal online matches against lower level guys?
Level is just a gauge of how much they have played. The game has been out long enough for even the worst players to be level 20. Don't take level to heart. During splatfest, I played against level 20 "champions" that were terrible. Level means little.

What is it about Splatoon that brings out the rage in people
I don't know, but I grew so weary of the negativity in this thread about every little thing that I started to add people to ignore. If all someone has to contribute is whining and complaints, I no longer wish to see it. I assume it usually stems from getting their ass beat online and "kicking the dog" to vent frustration, but it's tiring.

So are there any tricks/exploits I can use to try and get optimal rerolls, or do I have to pray to Judd or something.

pet the poogie pray to Judd :p
apparently the brand on the items has some effect on the odds of what'll turn up but outside of that i don't think there's any way to influence it.

edit: beat to it by DaBoss XD

May as well make this edit useful: does anyone else find 'special attack duration up' somewhat pointless? I tend to only need most specials for a very limited period of time after which I usually want to get rid of them so i can return to my usual function (Mainly Kraken and inkzooka... I can see bubbler being handy extending but I don't use any weapons that come with it)

Lol, we just had a match start when only one pop guy joined. He left before the match loaded so we just spent the whole match painting the whole map.

nom

So are there any tricks/exploits I can use to try and get optimal rerolls, or do I have to pray to Judd or something.

I read that to save money/shells that some people would back up their save to a USB stick before re-rolling. But it sounds pretty dodgy and probably takes too much time.

Totakeke

pet the poogie pray to Judd :p
apparently the brand on the items has some effect on the odds of what'll turn up but outside of that i don't think there's any way to influence it.

edit: beat to it by DaBoss XD

May as well make this edit useful: does anyone else find 'special attack duration up' somewhat pointless? I tend to only need most specials for a very limited period of time after which I usually want to get rid of them so i can return to my usual function (Mainly Kraken and inkzooka... I can see bubbler being handy extending but I don't use any weapons that come with it)

Special duration up is best for bomb rushes since they're useful for pushing territory and the amount you paint also goes back into refilling your special gauge.

Zing

Banned
does anyone else find 'special attack duration up' somewhat pointless? I tend to only need most specials for a very limited period of time after which I usually want to get rid of them so i can return to my usual function (Mainly Kraken and inkzooka... I can see bubbler being handy extending but I don't use any weapons that come with it)
I use it on my .96 Gal setup. I wear gear with it and special charge up so I can echolocate everyone often and for a longer time.

Just remember that some brands have a 5x chance of a specific ability and 1/2x chance of another ability, like the Krak-on brand having 5x the chance of getting swim speed up and 1/2x the chance for defense up.

If you feel like exploiting though...

You can also create a backup your save data to your usb, the game will read the save off the usb. So if you get a bad reroll, you can simply transfer your original save to the usb. If you do get some good rerolls, just transfer your usb save to the Wii U.

Jims

Awwww, didn't realize that popularity was going to be a factor going into it. If I would've known that, I would've just joined Team Dog, which was very likely going to be the majority.

Nintendo should change that. The battle results are always going to fluctuate around the 55-45% and closer range, so every Splatfest is likely just going to come down to the popular vote. It's good that the majority of people end up getting more Snails this way, but it makes playing the actual matches feel kind of pointless. In this specific Splatfest, Team Cat would've had to win 61% of the matches to force a tie, which is, like, never going to statistically happen (the highest Japan win rate was 55%). This specific Splatfest was over before any matches were actually played.

Ah well. At least Team Cat won more matches. There may be less of us, but we were better at Splatoon, dang it! Even if it wasn't close to being statistically significant in any way. :p

Busaiku

So what should I be aiming for with Inkbrush?
I was thinking Ink Saver Main, Run Speed Up, and Ink Resistance Up, or are there better sets?

So what should I be aiming for with Inkbrush?
I was thinking Ink Saver Main, Run Speed Up, and Ink Resistance Up, or are there better sets?

Ink resistance, special charge up, swim speed up (run speed is useless), ink saver main, ink saver sub and preferably 1 bomb range up as a couple of great sprinkler locations are super hard throws without it.

Really didn't like splatfest. I don't care about snails and its annoying how you could only play one game mode and it was impossible to play with friends online all day (that really upset me because I had a bunch of stuff planned). If anything it was the opposite of an event, it was a downgrade from the norm. Hopefullly the next one doesnt come for a long time. But everything was at night so that was kinda cool I guess.

Are you eventually able to buy all all the clothing you missed out on? A bunch of stuff disappeared that I didn't buy as I was leveling up.

massoluk

Banned
Also does anyone have any general tips for using the inkbrush? I was one of the ones who used it when it launched and sucked big time and never touched it again

Inkbrush is pretty hard to play. I did decent as Ninja Inkbrush before the nerf, haven't gone back to try it after the Great Ninja Nerf though. Just have to remember that Inkbrush can outrun everyone, you can bail out without going squid.

ViviOggi

Ninja Squid is massively overrated anyway

Echolocator still spots you and if you play it right the tiny splashes from squidding around almost become a non-factor

Top Bottom