• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

I'm curious (and this goes out to all of ChargerGAF), what should I build my gear for when using chargers?

Like mrpallguy said, Damage Up lets you OHKO at an earlier charge. Some people like 1 or 2 Damage Up mains, while others like to stack as many Damage Up mains as they can.

Personally, I can get away with 1 Damage Up, but that's because I like my sub weapons. Bomb Throw Up is almost necessary for me. Besides, if you're facing a Charger with your own Charger(EDIT: at close range), something probably went wrong in the game(Burst Bomb E-Liter is an exception). Ideally, you want to force them to try to max charge anyways, making their Damage Ups almost pointless vs you. Bomb Throw Up is nice since you can easily throw a bomb at Splat Charger range or even close to E-Liter range if you stack enough of them. Bomb game is just as important as sniping IMO. It also has the benefit of scaring Red off of his Tower at Blackbelly. =D

Oh yeah, there's a point where Chargers can 2-shot panic fire kill if they have enough Damage Ups. I believe it's 3 mains and 2 subs. I have to check later.

Sendou

I'm curious (and this goes out to all of ChargerGAF), what should I build my gear for when using chargers?

Depends on the charger but I'm not fan of this new trend of stacking Att up buffs. Instead I have opted for two things: ink related perks (main weapon ink down, ink refill up, sub weapon ink down) and bomb reach perk. Basically I'm using bombs to cover what would otherwise be my blind spots.

Attack Up might get you faster Charger kills but ink related perks and bomb perks get you more kills over all. Less deaths too.

EDIT: important point regarding Attack Up perks is that even if you can OHKO earlier you can't OHKO earlier at Max Range. And with Charger you shoud always go for that max range kill. Any closer and some longer range weapons start giving you trouble (Splattershot Pro, Squelchers...)

Violet_0

Banned

as others said, Damage Up is always a good idea for chargers. Once you go E-liter, you really need that extra damage because of the ridicules charge duration

Special Charge is the other thing I'd prioritize, Ink Savers if you run out of ink frequently (especially with the E-liter) though I don't know how effective they are

Depends on the charger but I'm not fan of this new trend of stacking Att up buffs. Instead I have opted for two things: ink related perks (main weapon ink down, ink refill up, sub weapon ink down) and bomb reach perk. Basically I'm using bombs to cover what would otherwise be my blind spots.

Attack Up might get you faster Charger kills but ink related perks and bomb perks get you more kills over all. Less deaths too.

EDIT: important point regarding Attack Up perks is that even if you can OHKO earlier you can't OHKO earlier at Max Range. And with Charger you shoud always go for that max range kill. Any closer and some longer range weapons start giving you trouble (Splattershot Pro, Squelchers...)
Precisely. Yes, there are a few times where Attack Up stacks are nice and can save your butt, but you shouldn't need them most of the time.
as others said, Damage Up is always a good idea for chargers. Once you go E-liter, you really need that extra damage because of the ridicules charge duration

Special Charge is the other thing I'd prioritize, Ink Savers if you run out of ink frequently (especially with the E-liter) though I don't know how effective they are

E-Liters are a whole different beast overall. They do benefit the most from Damage Up, but they also benefit greatly from Ink Saver Main. Special Charge Up is good on both versions, but that's another skill slot taken up.

ryechu

Being able to kill at closer ranges as well as far makes your weapon more versatile. Especially the e liter.
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm26617958

Without a few dmg up mains you cant pull off what this guy does on the final stretch of this TC match. The thing about the best vantage points is that sometimes you have to fight mid range from them. You cant always play max distance .

Sendou

Even if you start with Attack Up buffs you should learn the Charger without them. Just so that you don't pick bad habits like going for a closer range kill when you could have gotten a longer one. Not sure if there's anything wrong with a playstyle like that but in my opinion it's neglecting the Chargers most powerful feature that is the range. If you want to get bunch of short-range OHKO's then just pick up a Blaster.

Being able to kill at closer ranges as well as far makes your weapon more versatile. Especially the e liter.

Without a few dmg up mains you cant pull off what this guy does on the final stretch of this TC match. The thing about the best vantage points is that sometimes you have to fight mid range from them. You cant always play max distance .

This is actually a great argument for Damage Up buffs. Saltspray Rig is a great example. The smaller area right before the large top area has sniper perches, but they are easily reachable by long range rapid fire weapons. Another example is Arowana Mall. If one sniper takes the right path with no grate and the opposing sniper takes the left path that leads to the sniper perch that requires you to walk on a grate to get to, they will eventually be less than a Squiffer's range away from each other. In this scenario, assuming both will hit each other no matter what and that they have the same Charger, the one with the Attack Up buffs will win all of the time.

Azure, if you're still awake, this discussion basically tells you that there's more than one way to play the Charger. =P

ryechu

Even if you start with Attack Up buffs you should learn the Charger without them. Just so that you don't pick bad habits like going for a closer range kill when you could have gotten a longer one. Not sure if there's anything wrong with a playstyle like that but in my opinion it's neglecting the Chargers most powerful feature that is the range. If you want to get bunch of short-range OHKO's then just pick up a Blaster.

The minimum ohko distance even with max dmg ups is still longer range than all guns except the squelcher and maybe the 96. And playing max range on an Eliter for 100 percent of your kills is silly.

For other chargers dmg up is a luxury. I think its required for e liter.

I like my pile of Attack Up buffs because they saved my ass several times tonight, and this is only the first time I went all-out with them. I can hold areas pretty well, but once in a while an opponent will slip past me. In those cases having Attack Up let me kill them even at close range, in the sort of encounters that used to almost always kill me.

The minimum ohko distance even with max dmg ups is still longer range than all guns except the squelcher and maybe the 96. And playing max range on an Eliter for 100 percent of your kills is silly.

For other chargers dmg up is a luxury. I think its required for e liter.

With the E-Liter, you can actually save ink by OHKOing earlier, which is a nice side effect, especially as the E-Liter is an ink guzzler. =P It does apply to the other Chargers, but not as dramatically as the E-Liter.

Sendou

Like I said I don't play E-Liter and if people are finding success with this kind of build then good for them. That said the video doesn't change my opinion. Going short range with charger is always a risk you don't need to (or should not) take. Instead use sub weapon to keep the enemy away and create space to quickly swim back and take them from range instead. Going close means death. Death means that you get breached. Breaching meaning that with Charger my strategy revolves around keeping the middle and stopping enemies from going to our half.

Also I almost exclusively play Turf Wars so my comments should only be considered in that context. Also Azure J said he was using Splatterscope (I prefer the scopeless version) not an E-Liter. Anyways I have not played against a very deadly E-Liter using this attack up strategy so maybe you can show me the extent of this strategy one day?

Violet_0

Banned
charger discussions are always the best discussions
everyone has a different way of using them and all of them are valid. You just sort of have to adapt your equipment to your play style

Azure J

Like mrpallguy said, Damage Up lets you OHKO at an earlier charge. Some people like 1 or 2 Damage Up mains, while others like to stack as many Damage Up mains as they can.

Personally, I can get away with 1 Damage Up, but that's because I like my sub weapons. Bomb Throw Up is almost necessary for me. Besides, if you're facing a Charger with your own Charger, something went wrong in the game(Burst Bomb E-Liter is an exception). Ideally, you want to force them to try to max charge anyways, making their Damage Ups almost pointless vs you. Bomb Throw Up is nice since you can easily throw a bomb at Splat Charger range or even close to E-Liter range if you stack enough of them. Bomb game is just as important as sniping IMO. It also has the benefit of scaring Red off of his Tower at Blackbelly. =D

Oh yeah, there's a point where Chargers can 2-shot panic fire kill if they have enough Damage Ups. I believe it's 3 mains and 2 subs. I have to check later.

Good stuff guys. I'm one of those types that likes being well balanced so I definitely lean more towards Sendou's ideas, but I'm very interested in having at least one Attack up or three attack up subs to get those faster KOs. From my short time playing randoms for some experience, I really like having Cold Blooded available as a charger. I'm done like dinner if I get into CQC or I get cornered/detected so I'm thinking of rolling with one of the following:

1bLpcdg.jpg

FiJN9gh.jpg

y2XI8pD.jpg

So the first and last one are following a similar strategy but with different specific perks. The idea is (after getting better/perfect rerolls) to get Quick Respawns and Super Jumps to get me back into the fray faster on a knockout, Ink Saver Main and three IS Sub slots on the jacket on the Cold Blooded build to manage my ink better or Damage Up and 3 Special Saver sub slots on the Damage Up build. Finally there's the usual Special Charge Up to get bomb rushes often and really coat areas whenever I need to make sure of things alone.

Alternatively, I could wear the Firefin Fish Fry Visor with three ink saver subs on my Damage Up build while continuing to take advantage of Special Charge Up at the cost of Quick Respawns.

The last one is a variant that I still need to work kinks out of. (Plus it's kinda clashing lol)

Fake Edit: Damn, didn't expect for this discussion to blow up tonight, but thanks everyone for contributing. I took too much time to get my gear pics up and can't keep up right now (half dead; need sleep) but I am going to go one more match before going to bed.

charger discussions are always the best discussions
everyone has a different way of using them and all of them are valid. You just sort of have to adapt your equipment to your play style

This is exactly why the Charger is pretty much my #1 favorite weapon. I guess my style is closer to Sendou's in the fact that I use less Attack Up and more other perks. At the same time, my accuracy is worse, so I probably use more bombs than he does, which allowed me to be more crazy with potential bomb placement, something I'm sure Ragnarok does. =P

That doesn't stop me from switching it up occasionally and going full on Damage Up or Bomb Throw Up. =D

Edit: With a Special build for that Charger, at least one Bomb Throw Up main or a few Bomb Throw Up subs can really augment what you can do with it. That's the route I would go with.

Edit 2: Learn your bomb game. It can save you in a CQC situation and can splat someone if thrown over walls or when someone is pursuing you.

Violet_0

Banned
This is exactly why the Charger is pretty much my #1 favorite weapon. I guess my style is closer to Sendou's in the fact that I use less Attack Up and more other perks. At the same time, my accuracy is worse, so I probably use more bombs than he does, which allowed me to be more crazy with potential bomb placement, something I'm sure Ragnarok does. =P

That doesn't stop me from switching it up occasionally and going full on Damage Up or Bomb Throw Up. =D

yup, we have Gaffers that stack tons of Damage Up, others that don't use any at all, chargers that always try keep you at max range and those that like to get up close and dirty with twitch reflex sniping, and a certain few E-Liters that are just way too eager to Burst Bomb rush you in the face. Squiffers might be a bit underrepresented though

me, I'm partial to the ways of the dreaded Kraken sniper

Sendou

One useful strat when using bombs (especially with both Sup Weapon Ink Consumption Down and Reach Up perks) is when an enemy goes hide behind a block. Throw a bomb then immediately charge up your Charger to get them when they leave their hiding place to avoid getting killed by the bomb.

Also agreed about what Violet and BlueSilver said about the charger. In the end everything is valid that works for you.

Azure J

3 Splatterscope users (myself included) and a ninja InkBrush versus a team of 3 Aerospray RGs and a .52Gal Deco on Arowana Mall.

I don't know if this is a sign or not. And yes, that match was as much of a stomp from us as you could imagine. :lol

Sendou

One thing you may want to ask yourself about Splatterscope is that is the trade-off worth it? Sometimes it's nice to be able to stay charged in and have full perception of what goes around you.

yup, we have Gaffers that stack tons of Damage Up, others that don't use any at all, chargers that always try keep you at max range and those that like to get up close and dirty with twitch reflex sniping, and a certain few E-Liters that are just way too eager to Burst Bomb rush you in the face. Squiffers might be a bit underrepresented though

me, I'm partial to the ways of the dreaded Kraken sniper

Walkman and Heng seem to like taking notes from when I would do that. =P At least it can result in some crazy CQC situation like it did with Heng and I. It deviated from the standard strafing panic fire Chargers tend to do at point blank. We're in Walleye and he decided to get into out team's base via the side entrance. I didn't have time to keep him from going up, but I threw a Burst Bomb at the turn to scare him off. Instead, he retaliated with his own. We started spamming BBs until we were low on ink, then panic shooting whenever we had ink to spare. Both of of kept getting low ink messages, which forced us to refill via squid, but one of us would eventually have enough for a Burst Bomb to disrupt the other. All of this was going down with us circling the sandbag for cover. In the end, I got splatted, but it was a great ~10-15 second skirmish that felt like close to a minute. Definitely more fun than the strafing panic fire. =D

Crayolan

Just had an all short-range weapon team beat a team with Blaster/Blaster/Gold Dynamo/Splattershot Pro on ranked.

I feel so fucking justified right now.

ryechu

One thing you may want to ask yourself about Splatterscope is that is the trade-off worth it? Sometimes it's nice to be able to stay charged in and have full perception of what goes around you.

I think splatterscopes are all about twitch sniping. Since you cant hold a charge, its all about quick scrolling of the cursor, but you have a much greater time window to release your shot and still get the kill due to the zoom. So you probably want to run dmg up on those since you use your movement less to aim and more upward scrolls . With the regular charger you can hold a charge so scrolling the laser quickly inst as important as walking in and out of cover and jumping to align your shot.

Azure J

I'm honestly bouncing between it and the standard charger. On another note, I'm gonna leave this last one here as a preliminary idea for a "vanilla" charger build:

Either way, I've got a new project to work on and I'm excited to do just that. :D

Grakl

I go for damage up because damage up gives you more versatility. Whether you have damage up or not doesn't change the kills you get at max range. Having damage up does make close range situations significantly easier to deal with.

Also, a OHKO with damage up, where you have less charge, still outranges most (if not all non-charger?) weapons. Me building damage up doesn't mean I go for close/mid combat situations at all, but it does mean that when those come up I'm better off.

I still see the virtues of ink recovery up or one ink main, though -- it can make it easier to sustain yourself at max range. But, if you're at max range you're almost certainly fine anyway. Reducing charge needed for OHKO makes comebacks significantly easier when you can pick off players quicker at more ranges.

Azure J

I just saw the next level in spawn camping on Bluefin just now and I must now do it to people. Thank you random JPN player for the idea. :lol :lol :lol

Azure J

YO JINTOR, THAT SNIPE/SUPPORT COMBO

Edit: The JPN players are lagging hardcore. Catching a ninja roller in these conditions is no bueno

Azure J

yah that was fun, can't wait for deliberate team games (and hunting you was meccha fun too lol)

you get kicked too?

No but I wish I did. Nothing like sniping someone four times in a row and seeing them keep on keepin' on to make ya call it a day/night. :lol

I definitely need to work on not always trying to go after people and leaving good perches to do so. I also really really wish if there was a charger with suction bombs.

Jintor

No but I wish I did. Nothing like sniping someone four times in a row and seeing them keep on keepin' on to make ya call it a day/night. :lol

I definitely need to work on not always trying to go after people and leaving good perches to do so. I also really really wish if there was a charger with suction bombs.

the thing about chargers is that their firing lane is always larger than I think so I think I've safely juked but nope, splatted

Erm, I'm having a really odd issue with Spyke. I'm trying to add a slot to my Coloured Shades which are on page 2 of headgear however when I scroll to page 2, if I try and move from the first to the second row instead of the cursor moving right it moves straight back to page 1 again, so I can't actually scroll over or select 9 of the headgear items I have on page 2. Has anyone else ran into this before? It doesn't happen with either the clothes or shoes.

Erm, I'm having a really odd issue with Spyke. I'm trying to add a slot to my Coloured Shades which are on page 2 of headgear however when I scroll to page 2, if I try and move from the first to the second row instead of the cursor moving right it moves straight back to page 1 again, so I can't actually scroll over or select 9 of the headgear items I have on page 2. Has anyone else ran into this before? It doesn't happen with either the clothes or shoes.

Equip 'em so that they're on page 1.

Top Bottom