• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

DaBoss

I think splatterscopes are all about twitch sniping. Since you cant hold a charge, its all about quick scrolling of the cursor, but you have a much greater time window to release your shot and still get the kill due to the zoom. So you probably want to run dmg up on those since you use your movement less to aim and more upward scrolls . With the regular charger you can hold a charge so scrolling the laser quickly inst as important as walking in and out of cover and jumping to align your shot.
This is how I think and why I like the Splatterscope. It basically is like "quick scoping" in FPS games except a lot less stupid. I like using it at mid-close range.
Erm, I'm having a really odd issue with Spyke. I'm trying to add a slot to my Coloured Shades which are on page 2 of headgear however when I scroll to page 2, if I try and move from the first to the second row instead of the cursor moving right it moves straight back to page 1 again, so I can't actually scroll over or select 9 of the headgear items I have on page 2. Has anyone else ran into this before? It doesn't happen with either the clothes or shoes.
Don't you have to press the R/L button to switch pages?

This is how I think and why I like the Splatterscope. It basically is like "quick scoping" in FPS games except a lot less stupid. I like using it at mid-close range.

Don't you have to press the R/L button to switch pages?

You can, but you don't have to.

Lucario

Tentatek Splattershot somehow always 2HKOs me.

I use the Forge Splattershot pro, which outranges the Tentatek Splattershot by a fuckton, and I regularly get splatted by Japanese Tentatek users while firing at max range or harassing out of range. It's the worst.

I think on their screen they're walking towards me and shooting, or maybe squidding towards me until they're in range, but on mine they're always standing still or strafing. Nothing in this game gets me saltier, especially because all of the hits always happen at once and it's impossible to react.

Splatfest was amazing. Felt great to be able to space against that fucking weapon.

So apparently, the Pillar of Protection protects superjumping peple from getting splatted by my Splat Bomb that THEY LAND RIGHT ON TOP OF AS SOON AS IT GOES BOOM.

Violet_0

Banned
So apparently, the Pillar of Protection protects superjumping peple from getting splatted by my Splat Bomb that THEY LAND RIGHT ON TOP OF AS SOON AS IT GOES BOOM.

it only works if the bomb explodes on the other side of the pillar. Sounds like some lag shenanigans

massoluk

Banned
Can somebody explain to me how this game has no YouTube upload support?
I hope they look into that for a future update.
At this point, I would be satisfy with simple online gameplay screenshot capture. One would think it would be a simple thing to do. They have done a more complex thing with MK8

I read this several times and I still don't get it.
Me neither. How does one survive a superjump landing on the Tower when I perfectly timed my bomb to explode as soon as he lands? The bomb was IN his superjump circle.

Edit: Lag shenanigans is causing my sniping to suffer. =(

Geg

I realize now looking back that I've only ever lost a single game of tower control. I really love that mode

I like the power and range of the .96 Gal, works really well and I can kill multiple people at a time in turf wars and stuff.

But I feel it's not really cutting it getting into higher level ranked matches. It's too hard to get accuracy with it at range, and I don't have any tools that help me out in the clusterfuck of the centre of the match around a splatzone or tower.

Sprinklers and echolocator seem more for helping out my team as I stand back, which isn't really my style.

What else should I try out?

Violet_0

Banned
What else should I try out?

Dual Squelcher is pretty similar to the .96 Gal, Splattershot Pro has a bit less range. Jet Squelcher has a different feel to it because of relatively slow kill speed, but it's worth a try as well

I pretty much hate all Dual Squelcher players

Felensis

Banned
Just dipped in for the first time for Tower Control and while the gameplay itself is a lot of fun, Nintendo just totally fucked it up with ranked matches. It just reminded me why I've quit ranked matches soon after I've started them now stuck at B-.

Why for the love of god do you get only ranked for TEAM wins and losses? This makes the individual rank for each player totally pointless! No matter how good or bad I am (and most of the time I'm leader of my team), when the team looses I loose as well getting dumped.

This is totally frustrating! Same was with Splatfest!

Whenever I played Splatfest or I play ranked matches/Tower Control 8 or 9 out of 10 games I'm in the loosing team even though I'm doing the best possible to aid the team for a win, but it is pointless when the others mostly fuck it up -_-

I don't want to play that shit anymore and I'm starting to get bored of Turf Wars.
As long as Nintendo won't change ranked mode so that each player individually gets ranked for his/her performance I won't play it anymore. I'm stuck for ages on B- and now I'm even in danger to get down to C+.

Zing

Banned
If you want vengeance, use Jet Squelcher. It is public enemy #1 for me as a Dual Squelcher.

Just dipped in for the first time for Tower Control and while the gameplay itself is a lot of fun, Nintendo just totally fucked it up with ranked matches. It just reminded me why I've quit ranked matches soon after I've started them now stuck at B-.

Why for the love of god do you get only ranked for TEAM wins and losses? This makes the individual rank for each player totally pointless! No matter how good or bad I am (and most of the time I'm leader of my team), when the team looses I loose as well getting dumped.
A few points:

This is a team game. It is not a game of commandos or superstars.

As for "getting stuck" at a certain rank, you are not owed A+. It is not an end game goal or reward. It is not something that you progress to. It is a very generalized estimation of your skill. Not everyone is skilled enough to be A+. If you are "stuck" at a certain rank, that is simply where you are at this point in regard to how your skill and playstyle synergizes with the general public of the same approximate rank.

The teammates and opponents are the same rank as you. Why do you assume that they reached this point despite being "bad", while you at the same rank are just an A+ player being held down by the system?

If you are truly on the losing team 8/10 matches, that is not luck or coincidence. Your opponents have the same chance of getting unskilled players as you.

Dual Squelcher is pretty similar to the .96 Gal, Splattershot Pro has a bit less range. Jet Squelcher has a different feel to it because of relatively slow kill speed, but it's worth a try as well

Hmm yes I might try the Dual Squelcher.

What abilities should I try and get? Ink Saver Sub seems useful to make use of the bombs.

Felensis

Banned
A few points:

This is a team game. It is not a game of commandos or superstars.

As for "getting stuck" at a certain rank, you are not owed A+. It is not an end game goal or reward. It is not something that you progress to. It is a very generalized estimation of your skill. Not everyone is skilled enough to be A+. If you are "stuck" at a certain rank, that is simply where you are at this point in regard to how your skill and playstyle synergizes with the general public of the same approximate rank.

I totally get this. I don't see me as a "commando" nor "superstar". This is no Quake deathmatch for sure. The stats of the end of the match are clearly saying that I am mostly more skilled than my mates. I'm leader in terms of overall points as well as k/d. So I must be somehow more skilled than the mates I'm thrown into a team with. This makes it so frustrating because I cannot advance to a higher rank sinceI need a team on my skill level. The way it is now as I said I end up 8 out of 10 matches with people that just don't match with my skill level thus I'm getting ranked down as well and then mixed with people with even less skill. I hope this makes clear why I am so frustrated right now.

Playing with a friend that just got the game is pretty great because you can watch them learn in real time. Used to just stand there, will now GTFO anytime my laser is in the vicinity, and now deliberately fucks up my hiding spots, which is what taught her to rush the centre instead of obsessing over the base in the beginning.

Now if only the game wouldn't put us on opposite teams 80% of the time!

Gizuko

I find echolocator doesn't do me a whole lot of good if they see me coming, combined with ninja squid though it could be a force to be reckoned with?

Problem is the ninja squid gear isn't all too fresh.

Why would they see you coming? You should outrange most opponents with echolocator weapons and you could even flank them if you know where they are. They should be inking, which can be seen in the map, after all.

Jintor

I totally get this. I don't see me as a "commando" nor "superstar". This is no Quake deathmatch for sure. The stats of the end of the match are clearly saying that I am mostly more skilled than my mates. I'm leader in terms of overall points as well as k/d. So I must be somehow more skilled than the mates I'm thrown into a team with. This makes it so frustrating because I cannot advance to a higher rank sinceI need a team on my skill level. The way it is now as I said I end up 8 out of 10 matches with people that just don't match with my skill level thus I'm getting ranked down as well and then mixed with people with even less skill. I hope this makes clear why I am so frustrated right now.

The less skill opponents have, the easier it is for you to carry your team and escape C-rank purgatory. Chin up! Soon you'll be getting whipped by A- back into the solid B+ ranks.

:cries:

I find echolocator doesn't do me a whole lot of good if they see me coming, combined with ninja squid though it could be a force to be reckoned with?

hoodie is god tier

Totakeke

Echolocator is beneficial for your team as well, the better the team. the better it is. It also helps to deal with roller shenanigans. Plus the big side benefit here is that triggering echolocator refills your ink as well, making your uptime significantly higher. At start, you can pretty much ink until you run out of your tank then immediately trigger echolocator again to keep inknig.

I feel like ninja squid is worthless unless you're camping

But camping is what I do.

Why would they see you coming? You should outrange most opponents with echolocator weapons and you could even flank them if you know where they are. They should be inking, which can be seen in the map, after all.

Hmm I dunno. If I see echolocator and see an enemy down around a corridor I generally go over to take them out quickly and they see me coming down through the ink and I lose any advantage the locator offered me.

Or something like that.

hoodie is god tier

I have not seen a ninja hoodie in my shop :O

Is it the pink shirt that's ninja? And the white anchor one? Those are what I have and they're both ugly asf

Jintor

there's a rad maroon hoodie that I always wear. It's the ninja squid

ninja squid is useful in all situations except when you're locator tagged. Something as innocuous as not being visible by your inktrail is always useful even when simple flanking (although you also have to be careful not to be in areas that are going to get inked anyway)

I have not seen a ninja hoodie in my shop :O

Is it the pink shirt that's ninja? And the white anchor one? Those are what I have and they're both ugly asf

Hey, I like the look of the white ninja tee!

There are four ninja shirts, white anchor tee, shrimp polo, green stripe LS, and Zekko hoodie.

there's a rad maroon hoodie that I always wear. It's the ninja squid

ninja squid is useful in all situations except when you're locator tagged. Something as innocuous as not being visible by your inktrail is always useful even when simple flanking (although you also have to be careful not to be in areas that are going to get inked anyway)

I think it depends on the opponent that you're going after. If it's an opponent that has a weapon with a high fire rate, they're going to ink up everything around them that's not their color. It could be useful to flank chargers or gal type users.

Personally, I only get killed by someone camping and using the ninja squid ability if I'm being super aggressive or just plain careless/stupid.

Gizuko

Hmm I dunno. If I see echolocator and see an enemy down around a corridor I generally go over to take them out quickly and they see me coming down through the ink and I lose any advantage the locator offered me.

Or something like that.

Ah, I get it now.

It takes a bit to get used to it, but since the main purpose of the game is inking, EL is used to either set up quick ambushes (attack from behind/outrange someone) or completely avoid enemy players in corridors and the like. Sometimes using it for the latter is better, due to the ABC rule.

Are we due to get many more chargers? I feel like we've had lots of guns added and a few rollers, but barely anything for snipers.

What I'm saying is that I want a Splat Charger with Burst Bombs.

ViviOggi

Tried the splash o matic I like the way it puts down ink but the range is so bad.
Well that's rapid-fire weapons for you, gotta ambush people and make use of the suction bombs for zoning enemies. What makes it playable over crap like the Jr. is its great accuracy.

Well that's rapid-fire weapons for you, gotta ambush people and make use of the suction bombs for zoning enemies. What makes it playable over crap like the Jr. is its great accuracy.
Oh I know but as someone who uses the the tentatek splattershot and splattershot pro it took some adjusting to

Whoa boy slow down the Jr is amazing In close combat probably the best. Using localator to pinpoint enemies and go in for the kill.

But I really do love how good the splashmatic is at covering the ground.

Heng

You maybe skilled at killing people, but that doesn't mean it'll translate to a better rank. To be considered skilled at rank comes down to getting key kills and not dying at crucial moments. You could have 20 kills and 1 death, but if that 1 death came at a key moment, it can cost you the game. Maybe focus more on the point rather than killing? I'm not sure what you're doing in ranked so I can't actually give you any tips.

mfw I'm playing splatzone, the opposing team is all rollers, and I'm using anything with range.

cYE5rDL.png

Slight tangeant but it's always bothered me in ranked that we're listed in kill order while our contribution isn't shown. Ultimately winning is more important than where I'm shown on the team but it slightly bothers me when I know I basically single-handedly won us the match in Blackbelly park with my ridiculous sprinkler+inkbrush tactic yet I'm shown as last or 2nd last because I didn't bother killing peeps much (no need for me to unless they attack me on the tower, they can't outpaint my constant ink output, though I've had a good giggle watching them try :p )

If you are truly on the losing team 8/10 matches, that is not luck or coincidence. Your opponents have the same chance of getting unskilled players as you.
Normally I'd agree with this but splatfest was a special case where you could actually get stuck with a 'bad' team for once. I had a losing streak with such a team but just didn't have the heart to back out because I felt that they only chance they had of winning is if I continued trying to carry them rather than landing the responsibility on some poor other random who'd end up taking my place XD

Geg

I was just randomly thinking about this, but does anyone know if the super jump indication comes up on the ground if someone is jumping to a beakon? I don't have ninja jump or whatever it's called but there have been multiple times that I've taken enemies by surprise by jumping to a beakon even if they know it's there or destroyed it just after I jumped to it.

Days later team kitten is still bitter!

You misspelled better ;)

Robotguy

I was just randomly thinking about this, but does anyone know if the super jump indication comes up on the ground if someone is jumping to a beakon? I don't have ninja jump or whatever it's called but there have been multiple times that I've taken enemies by surprise by jumping to a beakon even if they know it's there or destroyed it just after I jumped to it.
I don't believe there is any indication that someone is jumping to a beakon.

Zing

Banned
If this were truly the case, then it would be virtually impossible for anyone to rank up.

Normally I'd agree with this but splatfest was a special case where you could actually get stuck with a 'bad' team for once. I had a losing streak with such a team but just didn't have the heart to back out because I felt that they only chance they had of winning is if I continued trying to carry them rather than landing the responsibility on some poor other random who'd end up taking my place XD
I agree, but during splatfest, almost everyone was terrible. Probably half of my matches I could have won if I only had one teammate.

I played roughly 40 matches and won all but three.

Junahu

The stats of the end of the match are clearly saying that I am mostly more skilled than my mates. I'm leader in terms of overall points as well as k/d.
Those stats don't really corrolate to skill on their own. You could be killing the easiest marks repeatedly, while the actual threats are crushing your teammates. You could be engaged in simple ink trades, or painting easily reclaimed turf.

Stats also don't take pure support roles into account. You can be a spotter, or a path maker, or you can sneak into vital areas and get people to super jump to you, or you can hold off key opponents in a protracted stalemate. None of those things translate into any direct score that the game will attribute to you, but they are absolutely legitimate roles you can play.

I play a charger, and whenever I lose and have a higher ink score than my teammates, I know I messed up royally. Because I was chasing points, I wasn't supporting my team, and they lost.

tldr: Proper team play is all about synergistic contributions, and that stuff isn't really tracked via stats.

fred

Why on earth are you lot talking about gear and what benefits it brings you..? You should all do the sensible thing and just wear stuff that looks good. If you look fresh you'll play fresh! :eek:P

Top Bottom