• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

Totakeke

So for you top meta players the goal with gear is to have 3 of the same second ability either on the same piece of clothing or across all 3 to get the equivialent of a main slot boost right?

I ask because my jungle hat I got super lucky and naturally got 3 sub weapon savers and wanted to make sure that keeping that set up was ideal.

Anything else I need to know about clothing/skills?

It's nice to have but not that crucial right now, you can always get the same 3 subs across different parts of your gear. I'd definitely keep the ones you have in case you need them some day.

Damn man, no matter how much I try I can never click with the Splattershot Pro. I'm trying to get accustomed to the rate of fire with how much it shoots but it's just not cutting it =/
I'll try it again in a couple weeks and maybe have more gear to build around that weapon. I know it's a great gun but idk how to be successful with it.

Jumping back in.

I use ink saver and 2 sub abilities of ink recovery sometimes with it. Shoot, drop in ink, shoot drop in ink.

DrStiles

Damn it forgot to check in with Judd before the new map rotation.

Alright lets see what we got:

Port and Depo for Splatzones.

Should be fun

Poor kids
MlWA77wvOFUOAljMjh

trixx

Wasted my shells adding slots to level 1 gear, tired of looking like everyone online lol yolo.

EFF the gal im going to try and use jet squelcher for tower control mode. I moght have to go back to blaster

DaBoss

Ink Saver (Main) doesn't require 3 subs to equal a main ability. 2 subs of it is enough to equal a main ability. I would assume that Ink Saver (Sub) behaves the same, but who knows.
honestly eff the .52/.92 gal. How do you have that much range use that little ink and have 2 shot ko. Refuse to use it.

About to head back down to B rank :(
.52 Gal has about the same range as the normal Splattershot. It does have the lowest time to kill, but you can put on Defense Up main and that will be enough to make it a 3-shot kill.

The .96 Gal is definitely strange when looking at time to kill and range alone, but it has poor ink coverage, a low fire rate, and uses up a lot of ink.

The .96 Gal is definitely strange when looking at time to kill and range alone, but it has poor ink coverage, a low fire rate, and uses up a lot of ink.

As someone who gets their highest scores with the .96, the ink coverage is actually pretty decent if you know how to use it, and with smart sprinkler usage it becomes good at it.

Crayolan

The +8/-12 system in Ranked is so stupid. I get paired with a bunch of B+'s as an A+ and get punished just because I'm apparently supposed to carry my team, no matter how bad they might suck. What a load of shit.

Geg

At what point do those extra points for ranked kick in? Like just today my team of B/B/B-/B- beat a team of B+/B+/B/B, would the B- guys on my team get the extra two points for that win?

J@hranimo

Banned
I use ink saver and 2 sub abilities of ink recovery sometimes with it. Shoot, drop in ink, shoot drop in ink.

I did actually think about the ink saver and the ink recovery for my gear today. I got those Forge studio headphones and some shoes with some sub ink recoveries here and there. I was really looking for either a shirt or shoes that have ink recovery as a main but I'll have to wait I guess.

OryoN

Wasn't around for much of the drama surrounding SplatFest results(haven't even booted Splatoon since(was busy with work), but it seems like Nintendo really need to explain how the scoring works. They don't have to go into meticulous detail, but at least confirm that there are various 'offsets' applied to the results, and explain some.

As some suggested, there seem to be some 'offsets' to compensate for moments where teams of highly skilled/ranked players consistently pitted against low ranked players. So it may be - for example - that 3 wins against higher ranked players gets you a better overall score, than than 10 wons against lower ranked players. This is partly seen already in ranked matches, where you generally gain/lose 10 pts per match, but could also gain/lose 8 or 12 if there's a large enough average rank difference in the teams.

I was team dogs, but I can understand any frustration/confusion the results caused. I'm sure there's logic behind the scoring, but if the players aren't privy to this information, it'll all just looks like random nonsense. If things continue like this, SplatFest will quickly lose air of excitement. Sorry to have brought this back up, but I'm finally now able to add my 2 cents. Anyway, I got some super sea snails to collect, and that bum in the alley better give me some good rerolls! :D

Edit: Actually, now that I just booted the game and saw the results for myself, the system is pretty straightforward and does a decent job without requiring the kind of complicated 'offsets' I mentioned above. It kinda balances itself out really. The least popular team still had chance to win despite being outvoted nearly 2:1. Not surprisingly, the most popular team likely had an even larger number of below-average players. I'm ok with this, it's not that bad guys.

Doorman

Now I understand why it's harder to kill tentatek splattershot users. And to think I never bought the weapon till today.

What reason would that be? I like using the regular splattershot (although wow I wish it had almost any super outside of burst rush), but Tentatek Shooters are one of those classes that I occasionally just have fits with, right next to Krak-on rollers. I've tried the Tentatek variety myself, but for my style I kind of like having the regular burst bombs on hand and I'm fairly garbage at using the inkzooka effectively. Still, you see a hell of a lot more of it than the classic shot so I've been curious about why the gap in utility seems so vast.

DaBoss

As someone who gets their highest scores with the .96, the ink coverage is actually pretty decent if you know how to use it, and with smart sprinkler usage it becomes good at it.
Was talking about the gun itself only. It's possible to get high scores with every weapon in Turf War, hard to say taht some are good at covering ground when others are just much better.
At what point do those extra points for ranked kick in? Like just today my team of B/B/B-/B- beat a team of B+/B+/B/B, would the B- guys on my team get the extra two points for that win?
Yea, that combination should give +12 points in total for your whole team, not just those two B- players. Everybody on the team is affected by extra points gained/lost depending on the teams' rank combinations.
Did I say it was hard in my post? And I know the benefits of not using a scope.

Geg

I still haven't bought at least half the weapons lol. And one of the ones I did buy was from pressing the wrong button on accident. Why would I buy weapons I know I'll probably never use?

Yea, that combination should give +12 points in total for your whole team, not just those two B- players. Everybody on the team is affected by extra points gained/lost depending on the teams' rank combinations.
Oh really? Well if it did give me 12 points I didn't notice because that was the game that bumped me up to B+ and I was only 10 points away

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm surprised some of you guys buy everything. I only buy what I wanted to use at the time not just for kicks. Recently though I am broadening my horizons as far as the weapons go.

Totakeke

What reason would that be? I like using the regular splattershot (although wow I wish it had almost any super outside of burst rush), but Tentatek Shooters are one of those classes that I occasionally just have fits with, right next to Krak-on rollers. I've tried the Tentatek variety myself, but for my style I kind of like having the regular burst bombs on hand and I'm fairly garbage at using the inkzooka effectively. Still, you see a hell of a lot more of it than the classic shot so I've been curious about why the gap in utility seems so vast.

Basically it's the best weapon to KO at the second highest run speed (Nozzlenose being the highest) with decent range and high fire rate. The run speed while firing can be unnerving and also gives you momentum when you hop and fire making you even harder to hit.

The very last bit may be a lie.

Crisium

The Japanese inkbrush dude had a couple of 3x same sub gear btw guys.

I still have 6 weapons that I never purchased. :p

I only have 12 weapons in my equipment. I have a bank of 180,000 right now and still have 10 shells. I just like what I have already.

Geg

Basically it's the best weapon to KO at the second highest run speed (Nozzlenose being the highest) with decent range and high fire rate. The run speed while firing can be unnerving and also gives you momentum when you hop and fire making you even harder to hit.

The very last bit may be a lie.

Wait, I thought tentatek splattershot was just a splattershot with a different sub/special. There are other differences?

Totakeke

Wait, I thought tentatek splattershot was just a splattershot with a different sub/special. There are other differences?

Oh yeah it's the same as the splattershot, I hardly see anyone using the normal one though while tentatek users are plenty.

I did actually think about the ink saver and the ink recovery for my gear today. I got those Forge studio headphones and some shoes with some sub ink recoveries here and there. I was really looking for either a shirt or shoes that have ink recovery as a main but I'll have to wait I guess.

The red vector tee I think it's called has ink saver main as the main ability. If I'm on next time with you I'll try to wear it so you an get it. Had to order it (thanks Azure for wearing it that night).

Jintor

Oh yeah it's the same as the splattershot, I hardly see anyone using the normal one though while tentatek users are plenty.

It's the sub/special combo. Bombs aren't worthless or anything but the bomb rush is very hard to use effectively and it's not a guaranteed kill like a surprise inkzooker shot can be

Crayolan

I haven't bought like half the weapons. I don't even think I've ever used a splattershot (other than jr) since the test fire. Should probably get on that.

Regiruler

It's the sub/special combo. Bombs aren't worthless or anything but the bomb rush is very hard to use effectively and it's not a guaranteed kill like a surprise inkzooker shot can be
The ink coverage of a bomb rush is much better (lines spiraling out are hard to capitalize on whereas a covered area can be used to gain offensive pressure) and able to get far more kills, as they can't just sidestep it.

It's also the best way to make use of bomb range up, increasing your radius of death.

Wasn't around for much of the drama surrounding SplatFest results(haven't even booted Splatoon since(was busy with work), but it seems like Nintendo really need to explain how the scoring works. They don't have to go into meticulous detail, but at least confirm that there are various 'offsets' applied to the results, and explain some.

As some suggested, there seem to be some 'offsets' to compensate for moments where teams of highly skilled/ranked players consistently pitted against low ranked players. So it may be - for example - that 3 wins against higher ranked players gets you a better overall score, than than 10 wons against lower ranked players. This is partly seen already in ranked matches, where you generally gain/lose 10 pts per match, but could also gain/lose 8 or 12 if there's a large enough average rank difference in the teams.

I was team dogs, but I can understand any frustration/confusion the results caused. I'm sure there's logic behind the scoring, but if the players aren't privy to this information, it'll all just looks like random nonsense. If things continue like this, SplatFest will quickly lose air of excitement. Sorry to have brought this back up, but I'm finally now able to add my 2 cents. Anyway, I got some super sea snails to collect, and that bum in the alley better give me some good rerolls! :D
We know exactly how it's scored: popularity percentage plus two times the win percentage.

DaBoss

You said it felt awful, I see little difference.
I like the zoom in effect a lot on the scoped chargers. Feels satisfying. Makes flick shots a lot of fun.

Without a scope, the mid-long range chargers feel like they are missing some visual feedback for me, thus feeling bad for me.

Jintor

The ink coverage of a bomb rush is much better (lines spiraling out are hard to capitalize on whereas a covered area can be used to gain offensive pressure) and able to get far more kills, as they can't just sidestep it.

It's also the best way to make use of bomb range up, increasing your radius of death.

It's that first inkzooker shot that's the most important though. It's nearly impossible to see coming unless you have god-tier reaction times and no lag whatsoever.

Crisium

It's that first inkzooker shot that's the most important though. It's nearly impossible to see coming unless you have god-tier reaction times and no lag whatsoever.

Yep, it's all about that first shot. That's what annoys me so much, you see what weapon he has and you know you are at a safe range, but then death from Inkzooka ensues.

Xeteh

I'm surprised some of you guys buy everything. I only buy what I wanted to use at the time not just for kicks. Recently though I am broadening my horizons as far as the weapons go.

I have $200k and nearly everything, aside from rerolling there isn't much else to do with it.

atr0cious

Getting destroyed on these current tower control levels. I might need to change my gear, having trouble getting into a impact as a splatshoot jr. player in the higher ranks (on these levels at least).

I'm seeing a lot of players using squid beacons as defense mechanisms on the tower. Pretty smart.
Please grab a nozzle, I think you could be fantastic with it.

DaBoss

I find it strange that people don't try every weapon, but I'm like that with any game that gives options (i.e. characters, parts). I have 10K worth of ground covered for every weapon I think. It's fun playing with them all and seeing the difference between them.
If you notice what weapons people are using and can see the opponent's head shining, then you can get a good idea of when they will use it depending on what your distance from them is, so you can react to it ahead of time, but yea, that requires you to know ahead of time that they have an inkzooka ready which you may not be able to know.

Heng

Interesting use of the rapid blaster. The ink resistance nerf may have helped it quite a bit.
Yeah most likely. Still, it wouldn't be too hard to just readjust my aim when they try to run away.

I don't think it's a terrible weapon, maybe people are using it wrong. I have a feeling the long range blaster may also be called bad since everyone might try to use it like a custom blaster.

Totakeke

You guys missed out on this shoe, one game after both of you left. :p

Yeah most likely. Still, it wouldn't be too hard to just readjust my aim when they try to run away.

I don't think it's a terrible weapon, maybe people are using it wrong. I have a feeling the long range blaster may also be called bad since everyone might try to use it like a custom blaster.

The fixed optimal distance at longer range makes it hard to use compared to the standard and luna I think. Like the situation where you guys got hold of the walleye warehouse mid is like the best possible scenario for the rapid blaster.

Codeblue

Damn man, no matter how much I try I can never click with the Splattershot Pro. I'm trying to get accustomed to the rate of fire with how much it shoots but it's just not cutting it =/
I'll try it again in a couple weeks and maybe have more gear to build around that weapon. I know it's a great gun but idk how to be successful with it.

Jumping back in.

I love Splattershot Pro for Splat Zones, not so much for Turf War or Tower Control. The ink consumption and severely reduced mobility while shooting kills it for me.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I thought everybody would go ROCK so I went POP even though I enjoy guitar licks over generic pop trash.

Did we win???

I forgot you got Sea Snails, is the amount dependant on how many games you played? I only got in about 10.

Top Bottom