• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

I agree, but during splatfest, almost everyone was terrible. Probably half of my matches I could have won if I only had one teammate.

I played roughly 40 matches and won all but three.

Ouch. For me it was more of a mixed bag. I had some amazing teams, some so bad they might as well have been AFK and usual sort of middling teammates for the majority of it. I didn't count my wins or losses but I'd say my teams won about 50% or so of the matches we played overall (definitely higher than the 43% pop as a whole managed :p)

I was pleasantly surprised the one time I actually went up against a super good team: It's the first time I've had a seriously good game of cat and mouse with anyone and even though we got curb-stomped in the end because I was the only person on my team with any knack for the game I'd gladly have had another shot against them because it was thrilling to fight against them :3

Also had one frantic game where the teams felt even for once and it was utter chaos in the middle for almost the whole match. It was awesome! :D

Can somebody explain to me how this game has no YouTube upload support?
I hope they look into that for a future update.

At this point, I would be satisfy with simple online gameplay screenshot capture. One would think it would be a simple thing to do. They have done a more complex thing with MK8

It could simply be a lack of resources, recording all players' actions must have an impact on performance. As you may have seen, the game already suffers from noticeable slowdowns in rare hectic cases involving Bomb Rushes.

Geg

Thinking back on it I didn't have many close matches point-wise during Splatfest, they were mostly either blowout victories or blowout losses. Though I did have tons of matches where team dog dominating for the first half of the match but we came back in the last minute for the win

And yeah I wish there was some kind of match saving/replay system. I really want to rewatch the tower control game that got me to B+ yesterday

Neol

I'm stuck at B...sigh. Been doing good on almost every game but my teammates can't hold the zone when I'm gone lol.

I'm with ya my friend.

Always seem to hold my own and push them back but the other teammates lack the awareness to move up and take the splat zones.

Xeteh

Thinking back on it I didn't have many close matches point-wise during Splatfest, they were mostly either blowout victories or blowout losses. Though I did have tons of matches where team dog dominating for the first half of the match but we came back in the last minute for the win

And yeah I wish there was some kind of match saving/replay system. I really want to rewatch the tower control game that got me to B+ yesterday

It was seriously a weird event. I won my first 15 or so matches with an Aerospray and my teammates being a bit helpful... then I had a bunch of loses while still scoring 1k-1.2k each round and my team either doing virtually nothing or disconnecting. To go from 40-50 for Champion took 5 losses and same thing around 30-40 for King/Queen.

I guess since it was something new everyone was playing but man those were some frustrating games.

I was on the Cat team and kinda bummed we lost, but getting to Queen rank gave me 18 sea shells which is awesome.

So, being the stat whore than I am I’m trying to plan out my dream build to shoot for. I’m pretty sure I know what shirt and shoes I want, but can’t decide on a hat. Currently this is what I’m planning for:

Shrimp-Pink Polo
Ninja Squid – For my style of play this works out great. It’s so helpful to zip around unnoticed when trying to get somewhere and in fire fights.
3x Ink Saver (Main) (30% chance to roll) – I do a lot of painting and keep getting into situations where I run out of ink and have to pause to refill.​

Cream Hi-Tops
Stealth Jump – I can’t live without it. Not only do I never get spawn killed when rushing to hold the front line, it’s so satisfying to spawn in right behind the other teams advance and take them all out.
3x Swim Speed Up (30% chance to roll) – Counteract Ninja Squid penalty​

I’m almost exclusively a Tentek Splattershot user and mostly a front lines type of guy. I barely ever use my bombs. I don't play Ranked as I don't find it fun. Should I aim to get a unique hat skill (Tenacity, Comeback, ect) or just get a big sub skill like Ink Recovery up?

I’m not sure I want to stack up on situational skills like Quick Respawn or Comeback because if I’m playing amazing it goes underutilized. Tenacity seems popular, but for me the Inkzooka is a very situational tool that inhibits my painting ability while active.

massoluk

Banned
It could simply be a lack of resources, recording all players' actions must have an impact on performance. As you may have seen, the game already suffers from noticeable slowdowns in rare hectic cases involving Bomb Rushes.

I don't even need a DVR, just an Animal Crossing 3DS screenshot system. One button dedicated to screenshots capture, put them in an album you can look through after you finished playing online.

Robotguy

I was on the Cat team and kinda bummed we lost, but getting to Queen rank gave me 18 sea shells which is awesome.

So, being the stat whore than I am I’m trying to plan out my dream build to shoot for. I’m pretty sure I know what shirt and shoes I want, but can’t decide on a hat. Currently this is what I’m planning for:

Shrimp-Pink Polo
Ninja Squid – For my style of play this works out great. It’s so helpful to zip around unnoticed when trying to get somewhere and in fire fights.
3x Ink Saver (Main) (30% chance to roll) – I do a lot of painting and keep getting into situations where I run out of ink and have to pause to refill.​

Cream Hi-Tops
Stealth Jump – I can’t live without it. Not only do I never get spawn killed when rushing to hold the front line, it’s so satisfying to spawn in right behind the other teams advance and take them all out.
3x Swim Speed Up (30% chance to roll) – Counteract Ninja Squid penalty​

I’m almost exclusively a Tentek Splattershot user and mostly a front lines type of guy. I barely ever use my bombs. I don't play Ranked as I don't find it fun. Should I aim to get a unique hat skill (Tenacity, Comeback, ect) or just get a big sub skill like Ink Recovery up?

I’m not sure I want to stack up on situational skills like Quick Respawn or Comeback because if I’m playing amazing it goes underutilized. Tenacity seems popular, but for me the Inkzooka is a very situational tool that inhibits my painting ability while active.
Pink polo is probably my most frequently worn shirt recently.

I change my build out depending on mode and weapon choice. Headgear wise I usually wear the gas mask for tenacity, but I will wear my safari hat for inksaver when I'm playing a high ink consumption weapon, at least if it doesn't have a special I'm too hot on. For tower control I usually wear a comeback hat, since I tend to die more in that mode than in others.

Geg

I don't play Ranked as I don't find it fun.

That's a shame, I think splat zones and tower control are both a ton of fun but worrying about your rank going up or down does make it more stressful than it's worth sometimes. I kind of understand why it's like that because they're more skill-based modes but I wish instead they had just locked them behind the level 10 wall and kept the ranks only as a hidden matchmaking thing

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I added slots to my red high tops, contacts, shrimp polo and red vector tee. Any others worth adding slots to? Then I need to fill them out and look at which ones to reroll.

I have the jungle hat but picked the contacts as a better looking alternative with an ok main. Open to any other headgear suggestions

Neol

That's a shame, I think splat zones and tower control are both a ton of fun but worrying about your rank going up or down does make it more stressful than it's worth sometimes. I kind of understand why it's like that because they're more skill-based modes but I wish instead they had just locked them behind the level 10 wall and kept the ranks only as a hidden matchmaking thing

Honestly the more I think about it, the more mad I get that both splat zone and tower control are restricted to just ranked mode. I do like them both a lot but when I have a constant spree of losses where I'm not making any money its really disheartening.

Its also brings up another thing I hate about this game is that ranked mode is the only realistic way to make money.

MlWA77w63acJuW0Ama

Nintendo did a superb job with that final boss. One of the best I have ever fought, so intense especially when that certain song kicks in. Very well done

WALKMAN04

I think I got a bit too dependent on ink resistance + ninja squid. It feels like starting over practically.
Well I've never been into ink resistance but ninja squid is my thing and honestly it just takes a small adjustment of just remembering you don't have it, and I like how in this room I use the echolocater to see where everyone is but it doesn't matter because half of them are never where they say they are

Well I've never been into ink resistance but ninja squid is my thing and honestly it just takes a small adjustment of just remembering you don't have it, and I like how in this room I use the echolocater to see where everyone is but it doesn't matter because half of them are never where they say they are

Is the lag that bad for you?
It's been smooth on this end but I did see people drop during the matches.

WALKMAN04

Is the lag that bad for you?
It's been smooth on this end but I did see people drop during the matches.
Now I'm fine but when we had all the Japanese people everyone was lagging for me
Edit: that match on warehouse was terrible for me, joining back just leveled up that gear and switching to others

Now I'm fine but when we had all the Japanese people everyone was lagging for me
Edit: that match on warehouse was terrible for me, joining back just leveled up that gear and switching to others

I got sniped a couple times during that match without ever seeing a laser sight but over it's been pretty good.

Edit: And lag sniped two more times on saltspray :/

phanphare

Banned
holy shit, just had a tower control match on port where the other team took the lead and got to our 15 with seconds left. we take them out, I hop on the tower, overtime starts, and I ride it all the way back to victory while cracking out and splatting their team 7 times in the process. was hopping on and off the tower like a madman while also sending off seekers every time I had the ink to do so. this mode is pure insanity, I wish there was a replay mode.

Rize_21

holy shit, just had a tower control match on port where the other team took the lead and got to our 15 with seconds left. we take them out, I hop on the tower, overtime starts, and I ride it all the way back to victory while cracking out and splatting their team 7 times in the process. was hopping on and off the tower like a madman while also sending off seekers every time I had the ink to do so. this mode is pure insanity, I wish there was a replay mode.

would love to see that, hope it'll be possible via our room(the one we see in the first loading screen) , it'd be free advertisement for nintendo to get some high level games on youtube.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to verify. I can borrow a friends Amiibos, do the challenges, unlock the costumes and give them back to my friend and still have the costumes. Right?

Heng

So I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I want to verify. I can borrow a friends Amiibos, do the challenges, unlock the costumes and give them back to my friend and still have the costumes. Right?
I think so. If you don't have to scan an amiibo everytime you log in or put it on, I don't see you have to keep it.

Crisium

Ok, this match was 7/8 Japanese. All but me. At 5 AM Japan time.

I'm not a racist; I'm a lagist. Damn you Japanese. How does one find the peak hour to avoid their horde!!

I'm not a racist; I'm a lagist. Damn you Japanese. How does one find the peak hour to avoid their horde!!

Well they're probably all complaining about us just standing around waiting to get splatted.

"Lazy fat Westerners!!!"

Fun games as gaf. I defintely feel like I'm doing great, but my weakness is 1v1 situations. I guess that's part of using a md-range weapon as splash o matic.

Also that feel when you finally charge and see a splat bomb thrown in yoyr direction without no time to back out... I'm looking at you walkman!

Mega

Banned
Those stats don't really corrolate to skill on their own. You could be killing the easiest marks repeatedly, while the actual threats are crushing your teammates. You could be engaged in simple ink trades, or painting easily reclaimed turf.

Stats also don't take pure support roles into account. You can be a spotter, or a path maker, or you can sneak into vital areas and get people to super jump to you, or you can hold off key opponents in a protracted stalemate. None of those things translate into any direct score that the game will attribute to you, but they are absolutely legitimate roles you can play.

I play a charger, and whenever I lose and have a higher ink score than my teammates, I know I messed up royally. Because I was chasing points, I wasn't supporting my team, and they lost.

tldr: Proper team play is all about synergistic contributions, and that stuff isn't really tracked via stats.

I agree. I played a Mackerel splatzone match yesterday with terrible K/D and we came back from way behind because I pushed to the far zone and held it for a really long time before backup arrived. To my team's credit they were busy re-inking and holding the near zone from a couple of enemy players.

We have also won games where our team of four all had "negative" K/D and the opposing team had positive kill ratios, ocasionally much higher than ours. Sometimes it was a last-minute team effort to push back. Other times it took one person to break through Rambo style and the rest of the team rallied to the point. It feels amazing to win against what feels like a superior team that was kicking your butt for three-quarters of the match.

I still wish we had voice chat or more canned responses at least, to fully realize the depth of support roles and have amazing moments come together with greater frequency and less luck. So much goes wrong or doesn't happen precisely because of this silly omission. Sometimes you have to do things on your own when it would make more sense to tell someone better equipped or closer. Like traveling across the entire stage with only short range weapons to get to a raised path and destroy troublesome beakons. Meanwhile I'm thinking how that's something that a team member with bombs or Inkstrike could handle in a moment.

Or better yet, identifying and countering that one crazy player who's wrecking your team. Like you touched on, get people less focused on easy marks and more aware of the often single reason you're getting your ass kicked. Tower Control alone would become amazing if basic communication was possible. Walleye would have less rapid Knockouts if people waited and coordinated counterattacks instead of rushing in one at a time to an entrenched group of 4 waiting enemies. Plus a hundred other things.

Mega

Banned

Same experience here. 4-5am in Japan, everyone in the lobby is Japanese. It was weird doing Splatfest and seeing rooms full of American handles. I THINK the Japanese players are older and really like the ultra competitive Ranked modes, whereas Americans skew younger and prefer Turf Wars.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man I have been doing God's Work with the Tentatek Splattershot lately. Usually play with longer range stuff but the Splattershot's really hitting my sweet spot. Managed to get into A- for the first time yesterday.

Spent 9 snails from my marvelous 24-strong hoard (mmmm DogGod), pretty happy with my build now. Got ink resistance as my shoe main with an ink saver main and two swim speed ups, been sitting on that one for a few weeks now. Rerolled my hat and shirt a bunch, got a couple walk speed ups, a defense up, special charge up... and something else. Feels pretty alright, will probably sit on the rest of my snails forever.

I was down on Tower Defense to begin with, felt kind of like a mess, just everyone always in one spot shooting each other, not a lot of the core "cover ink" stuff, felt like a crapshoot. With some more experience under my belt tho I love it now. Just gotta expand the range of your attention beyond the tower, control the space on either side of it better, focus on preventing enemy approach, all sorts of stuff.

And man it really makes you approach certain maps in new ways. I've been getting sick of the Rig in other modes but the tower path on it forces the battle to take place almost entirely on those narrow multi-level pathways, you do all this crazy jumping, it's really revitalized the map for me.

WALKMAN04

Fun games as gaf. I defintely feel like I'm doing great, but my weakness is 1v1 situations. I guess that's part of using a md-range weapon as splash o matic.

Also that feel when you finally charge and see a splat bomb thrown in yoyr direction without no time to back out... I'm looking at you walkman!
Splat bombs are my thing, never leave inkopolis withoutem

I am loving this game holy crap. Still a bit unsure about all the gear options and especially weapons. I think I'd like the single shots but I don't think I can give up the rapid fire gun I'm using now.

Top Bottom