• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does it figure out scoring in ranked? We just lost a tight game 59/58 and I was best in our team, yet I lost 12 points. Thought you only lost 10? Was B- 80 at the time. Was B-90 and lost the previous game and only lost 10 points. Doesn't make any sense.

Gizuko

How does it figure out scoring in ranked? We just lost a tight game 59/58 and I was best in our team, yet I lost 12 points. Thought you only lost 10? Was B- 80 at the time. Was B-90 and lost the previous game and only lost 10 points. Doesn't make any sense.

Depends on wether a team has higher/lower Ranked members than the other or not. Teams with higher ranks win less points and lose more vs teams with lower ranks.

NotLiquid

If there's an evening Splatoon lobby I think I'll try joining you guys today. It's been a while.

Will have to add Azure J if I haven't already done so I suppose since he's always in them
and getting his ass whupped apparently

Crisium

Splash wall and kraken for .96 deco.

Not what I was hoping for. Echolocator on the original can't be beat. Gotta support the team. Splash Wall is great on Port Mackerel with a Jet Squelcher though, you can lock down a corridor and no shooter can shoot it without being in your range. 96 has some range too and much more firepower, so it could be a good strat there too.

phanphare

Banned
new weapons? nice

sploosh-o-matic looks cool

I kind of want a splash-o-matic with a different sub/special combo. suction bomb rush can be godly but I'd love to mix it up with that weapon in particular.

Totakeke

Interesting that they say Sploosh-o-Matic is designed for close combat, Splash-o-Matic already has the same range as the Aerosprays and the Splattershot Jr, and Splash-o-Matic already sacrifices inking area for higher accuracy. How would Sploosh-o-Matic be a better close combat weapon than any of those three considering it basically splashes ink in a wide cone?

Ranked is making me want to choke people

I thought this was supposed to be fun

Feed into your rage.

Zing

Banned
I gets fun when you get good enough.

>.>
There is truth to this. Once you get to rank A (and B for the most part), you don't encounter the more frustrating types of players. It feels good to play against people of roughly equal skill and have almost every match come down to the wire.

Then you go back to turf war or splatfest and it feels as though you are an adult playing against toddlers.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Finally A+ again. Splatterscope ftw! What happens if you reach 100?

Also, I'm pretty sure some assholes disconnected when they lost because there was a communication error the moment the game ended, making us, the winning team, lose points, too. Has this ever happened to anyone before?

Regiruler

First time I see a squiffer killing so much
I'd argue it has the highest skill ceiling in the game. Someone good with it can go on an absolute slaughter.
Finally A+ again. Splatterscope ftw! What happens if you reach 100?

Also, I'm pretty sure some assholes disconnected when they lost because there was a communication error the moment the game ended, making us, the winning team, lose points, too. Has this ever happened to anyone before?
You go S rank

It caps at 99

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01efqgq.jpg

My new splattershot pro loadout

Totakeke

I'd argue it has the highest skill ceiling in the game. Someone good with it can go on an absolute slaughter.

It may have a high skill ceiling, but I don't think the ceiling allows you to do much more with the weapon. It has many bad weapon matchups. Regardless of what you do you do have to spend time charging up before you can kill. Another way to look at it is, why not just use a standard charger with enough damage ups for you to splat at the same charge time? There's essentially no downsides unless you want to argue that there are other gear abilities that really make the difference.

Ansatz

Splash wall and kraken for .96 deco.

... why?

I don' see how this is an improvement over the regular setup. If you use a splash wall then that extra range you have compared to .52 doesn't come into play. In terms of specials, the only real problem .96 has is taking out snipers and the kraken isn't as effective against that as using echolocator which gives your entire team the information advantage.

Don't underestimate the sprinkler too. It's the perfect multitask ability as it can cover ink around my base while I rush up to mid to prevent other rushers, plus at the start of a game you place it right as you spawn which builds up your special meter with no drawback whatsoever.

Totakeke

... why?

I don' see how this is an improvement over the regular setup. If you have splash wall then that extra range you have compared to .52 doesn't come into play. In terms of specials, the only real problem .96 has is taking out snipers and the kraken isn't as effective against that as using echolocator which gives your entire team the information advantage.

Don't underestimate the sprinkler too. It's the perfect multitask ability as it can cover ink around my base while I rush up to mid to prevent other rushers, plus at the start of a game you place right as you spawn which builds up your special meter with no drawback whatsoever.

You can prefer one over the other, but splash wall and killer wail has it's uses. For one, this should be a much better setup for tower control. Second, splash wall lets you close in to a charger.

... why?

I don' see how this is an improvement over the regular setup. If you use a splash wall then that extra range you have compared to .52 doesn't come into play. In terms of specials, the only real problem .96 has is taking out snipers and the kraken isn't as effective against that as using echolocator which gives your entire team the information advantage.

Don't underestimate the sprinkler too. It's the perfect multitask ability as it can cover ink around my base while I rush up to mid to prevent other rushers, plus at the start of a game you place it right as you spawn which builds up your special meter with no drawback whatsoever.

I'm not sure it's a good weapon set or not since I never use .96, but from my experience playing .52, splash wall it's pretty good against chargers unless they stand much higher than you.

Ansatz

My point is if you're adopting the splash wall playstyle then you might as well play the .52. Your "splash wall" against non-snipers is the weapon itself with the .96.

Totakeke

My point is if you're adopting the splash wall playstyle then you might as well play the .52. Your "splash wall" against non-snipers is the weapon itself with the .96.

But you just said yourself the only real problem .96 gal have is against chargers. Saying that someone should use a short range weapon to combat chargers makes no sense.

Ansatz

But you just said yourself the only real problem .96 gal have is against chargers. Saying that someone should use a short range weapon to combat chargers makes no sense.

I get what you're saying from a solo point of view, you sacrifice the sprinkler for the splash wall and this reduces your weaknesses but the echolocator is a much more effective special than the kraken so from a macroscopic point of view it's not worth it.

The splash wall doesn't kill a sniper, it merely nullifies them. You practically sacrifice yourself for the sake of rendering the sniper useless. The point is you can achieve the very same thing with the .52 as well. You loose alot of what makes my weapon so powerful if your playstyle is to lock down the opponent's sniper.

Totakeke

I get what you're saying from a solo point of view, you sacrifice the sprinkler for the splash wall and this reduces your weaknesses but the echolocator is a much more effective special than the kraken so from a macroscopic point of view it's not worth it.

The splash wall doesn't kill a sniper, it merely nullifies them. You practically sacrifice yourself for the sake of rendering the sniper useless. The point is you can achieve the very same thing with the .52 as well. You loose alot of what makes my weapon so powerful if your playstyle is to lock down the opponent's sniper.

When you throw a splash wall, the charger moves back. He doesn't stand there and let himself be hit by a .52 gal. Unless the charger isn't paying attention, a single splash wall doesn't allow a .52 gal to close into a charger. What is this about sacrificing yourself? You don't have to commit yourself just because you threw a splash wall, it can be a defensive move as well.

Plus I also mentioned that this is a much better setup for tower control. Echolocator is severely diminished for Tower Control due to how often people respawn. Splash wall is fantastic in some maps and Kraken can allow for the very important push your team sometimes need.

I'm not even saying your preference is invalid, but you're trying to say that the .96 deco has no point which is not even remotely true. Maybe you're so good with the normal .96 that the .96 deco is trash. Okay sure, but you don't need to force your opinion on others.

Zing

Banned
Dat "92"

I am giving brush some serious effort. I had to crank my sensitivity up. pretty much every time I got splatted, it was due to not being able to turn fast enough.

DaBoss

Longer range weapons benefit more from the Splash Wall. Throw it down, then ink the area in front and then you would be able to move in more easily compared to a shorter range weapon with a Splash Wall.
---------------------

So the rotation that occurred about an hour ago didn't change modes. It stayed as Tower Control which was in the previous rotation.

I go in as a Kelp Splat Charger going to where the Splat Zone is on Saltspray Rig not realizing it is still Tower Control. Throw my sprinkler on the little T-shaped thing and then see "Tower is in our control". I was so confused lol.

I think I got a lot better without the scopes now, at least in Tower Control. Was doing really well with an E-liter 3K.

Ansatz

When you throw a splash wall, the charger moves back. He doesn't stand there and let himself be hit by a .52 gal. Unless the charger isn't paying attention, a single splash wall doesn't allow a .52 gal to close into a charger. What is this about sacrificing yourself? You don't have to commit yourself just because you threw a splash wall, it can be a defensive move as well.

Plus I also mentioned that this is a much better setup for tower control. Echolocator is severely diminished for Tower Control due to how often people respawn. Splash wall is fantastic in some maps and Kraken can allow for the very important push your team sometimes need.

I'm not even saying your preference is invalid, but you're trying to say that the .92 deco has no point which is not even remotely true. Maybe you're so good with the normal .92 that the .92 deco is trash. Okay sure, but you don't need to force your opinion on others.

For TC I don't even use it but you're right. I prefer the tentatek with suction bombs and inkzooka.

Your splash wall argument applies to both weapons though. You don't gain anything with the extra range because as you said they'll just back off and you do commit because it drains your ink and to place a new one you need to refill the tank, so this limits your multitasking options.

Violet_0

Banned
sprinkler has no practical application in combat while the ink wall blocks all shots from any distance, they work quite well in open spaces as well. Echolocator is a really good support special but it doesn't let you kill opponents or give you invulnerability, the kraken makes it difficult to take you down and is the next best thing to a bubbler. The 96. Gal Deco is basically a more combat-focused version of the weapon

Totakeke

Your splash wall argument applies to both weapons though. You don't gain anything with the extra range because as you said they'll just back off and you do commit because it drains your ink and to place a new one you need to refill the tank, so this limits your multitasking options.

Yes, but a longer range always helps and is effective in more situations and positions. You present a higher threat when you have a long range weapon behind a splash wall compared to a short range one. A short range weapon behind a splash wall can be ignored much more easily.

Zing

Banned
I'm pretty sure I just encountered a player named Finn who was legit cheating. His lag was so bad, the worst I have ever seen. He was a roller of course and would teleport around.

atr0cious

Dear devs,

Please give us another brush. None of these new weapons have been up my alley. I'll just stick with my nozzlenose, I guess.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
In case anyone was not sure, your player profile seems to be tied to your local save file. Lost my data when my external drive died so had to start back over after hitting level 20. Already back to 11 now though.

Top Bottom