• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT3| Feel Good Ink

SM239

I'm waiting on either one of the E-liter 3K scopes or the H-3 Nozzlenose as it sounds like it with be a semi auto gun. I also really want to know what "T_Gatling_Standard00" is for. I would kill for a ink minigun special.

You know what my dream is for the August update?
Even though I'm sure it's not going to happen

An online co-op story mode. They can even go crazy with it and let it be 4 player co-op lol. aka Gears of War 3 - Squid Edition

IIRC in the end we'll have 71 weapons according to the data mining, but we don't know if some of them will be included in the Aug update. Also there's text from Sheldon in Japanese, can only (bad) translate sub and special. Quoting myself from last OT:

I think this "SuperBuckests" thing is the "Bigball/Bloblobber" in the Pastebin, six kinds of them. "Evil Priest" and "Devil priest" are Bamboozler? And the rest two are gatlings. So no new main weapon here.

Don't know why Neogaf is lag as hell for me.

SuperBuckets-Splash Wall-Inkstrike
SuperBuckets Nero-Ink Mine-Inkzooka
TripleBuckets-Point Sensor-Bubbler
TripleBuckets-Suction Bomb-Killer Wail
BomberBuckets-Disruptor-Seeker
BomberBuckets-Sprinkler-Kraken
Bamboozler-Point Sensor-Killer Wail
Bamboozler-Seeker-Bomb Rush
Gatling-Splash Wall-Kraken
Gatling-Burst Bomb-Inkstrike

Robotguy

Oh yeah we're you using the Custom Jet Squelcher? :) That's currently the weapon that I want to git gud with, though I admittedly have better performance with the Tentatek Splattershot :X Any tips for using the CJS? :)

Yeah I'll be honest, some of the splats showing up on my screen were fairly delayed during our games today. Usually if I splat with the Inkzooka, the game will notify immediately, but I was getting about half second delays, and ink was updating slowly. Sorry about any lag kills I got :(
Yeah, I was. I just started playing it last night, though so I'm just learning myself.
The thing I like about CJS is that it has the longest range in the game other than chargers, but it also has good options to play close up if it comes to it. The problem with the Jet Squelchers is that while they're good for killing at a distance they are terrible if people manage to get close to you. So, like the other long range weapons you're going to want to try to control large areas and splat people before they get close enough to deal damage to you in return. In the case that people do manage to close in on you the CJS comes with burst bombs, which is a fantastic sub for close-ish/medium range combat. Unlike the other bombs they deal damage immediately, and you can throw several of them in rapid succession. They're great for splatting, or just buying enough time/ space to retreat to a safer distance. One of the things I messed up several times last night was shooting when I should have used burst bombs instead. Lastly, Kraken is a great last defense. For the most part I save it for when I'm truly screwed then activate when someone is practically right on top of me to take them out then try to take out anyone else that's nearby before retreating to a safe location. However, sometimes instead of using it as a defensive measure I try to bait people into getting close to me so I can activate and get an easy Kraken kill, or use it to close in on enemy chargers when I can get to them. I've been running a lot of inksaver with my jet squelcher builds because I can burn through a lot of ink pretty quickly sometimes. Hope that helps some.

I swear every enemy rollers still hit me first even if we both swing at the same time, it makes me feel like my carbon roller are slow as dynamo ones.

Also, splatting people with a Splash Wall is the funniest thing. It's only happened twice with me, but it was always in nice situations.

ryechu

i just realized that i've never once deployed a splash wall. I think those weapons are the only ones i havent used.

Also, splatting people with a Splash Wall is the funniest thing. It's only happened twice with me, but it was always in nice situations.

Sometimes people just suicide swimming under it. lol

i just realized that i've never once deployed a splash wall. I think those weapons are the only ones i havent used.

I think really few people are using splash wall, I only see another splash wall every 10 matches.

Ansatz

Level cap was merely a tutorial giving you access to few new weapons at a time and to lock you out of ranked. It serves no other function so I don't see the point in increasing it.

Now S rank is something that needs to happen on the other hand. Not to sound like an arrogant bastard but I'm stuck at the max currently and would love the challenge of reaching S+ 99

Geg

I've always wanted to do this.

It happened to me once in a tower control match. I was standing a little too close to the edge when a splash wall came up

Another time it hit me right as it was disappearing so my inkling kind of hopped over it while taking a little damage

ngower

I hope the matchmaking in non-ranked is fixed next go. I only have so much time to play, so I'm at level 9 (though I tend to be the top one or two on my team) but I'm always playing against a team of 20s with some 11s and 12s on my team. It's insane. No idea what's going on.

backlot

The new .96 Gal might be more useful than the standard version for Tower Control. Sprinkler isn't particularly useful in that mode.

Xeteh

I think I'll stick with the regular .96 Gal. I really like Sprinkler + Echo.

Definitely curious about the new weapon, though.

Heng

I hope the matchmaking in non-ranked is fixed next go. I only have so much time to play, so I'm at level 9 (though I tend to be the top one or two on my team) but I'm always playing against a team of 20s with some 11s and 12s on my team. It's insane. No idea what's going on.
The matchmaking is not based on your level but on your ability to paint the floor and how often you kill people. If you dominate people at your level and get a lot of kills, they'll match you against 20s who play similar to you.

Edit: it didn't occur to me that you might have meant balancing your teams. I don't know how much that matters since the next match will randomize the team.

J@hranimo

Banned
The new .96 Gal might be more useful than the standard version for Tower Control. Sprinkler isn't particularly useful in that mode.

Ding ding ding, exactly why I'm excited for it. The .52 gal with splash wall just doesn't cut it sometimes imo.
Just hope Tower Control is in rotation by 10pm tonight :X

phanphare

Banned

they match based on play style, not your level

your level in turf wars isn't really an indicator of skill, it's an indicator of play time

edit: beaten ;p

Yeah, I was. I just started playing it last night, though so I'm just learning myself.
The thing I like about CJS is that it has the longest range in the game other than chargers, but it also has good options to play close up if it comes to it. The problem with the Jet Squelchers is that while they're good for killing at a distance they are terrible if people manage to get close to you. So, like the other long range weapons you're going to want to try to control large areas and splat people before they get close enough to deal damage to you in return. In the case that people do manage to close in on you the CJS comes with burst bombs, which is a fantastic sub for close-ish/medium range combat. Unlike the other bombs they deal damage immediately, and you can throw several of them in rapid succession. They're great for splatting, or just buying enough time/ space to retreat to a safer distance. One of the things I messed up several times last night was shooting when I should have used burst bombs instead. Lastly, Kraken is a great last defense. For the most part I save it for when I'm truly screwed then activate when someone is practically right on top of me to take them out then try to take out anyone else that's nearby before retreating to a safe location. However, sometimes instead of using it as a defensive measure I try to bait people into getting close to me so I can activate and get an easy Kraken kill, or use it to close in on enemy chargers when I can get to them. I've been running a lot of inksaver with my jet squelcher builds because I can burn through a lot of ink pretty quickly sometimes. Hope that helps some.
From my current available experience with CJS, I think it's pretty important to get Kraken asap, so my current CJS set has at least 2 main Special Charge Ups (the last main is Ink Resist). CJS has a fairly hard time dealing with corners and short distances; Burst Bombs don't hit as large an area and can't threaten a splat like Splat or Suction Bombs do, and they can't wall off enemies the way an angled Splash Wall can. Going around a corner to fight at close range against another gun is usually asking for it as well. Kraken definitely helps with fighting enemies at close range or enemies that you can lure to you, as you mentioned.

The next question for me is whether I want Swim Speed Up or Ink Savers for subs like you mentioned. I'm currently going heavy on Swim Speed Up so that I have better mobility for spacing, as well as increasing my move speed while in Kraken form. The CJS definitely chews through ink really quickly, so I find that I have to dip for ink more often than I'd like relative to other weapons. I prefer getting opportunistic kills or to pressure enemies though, so I find that I'm swimming around in ink fairly often. I don't want to be the road builder on the team if I can help it, because the CJS is definitely not good for covering ground.

I also need to remember to use the Burst Bombs more :( there are probably lots of short range (and long range!) KO opportunities once I have better use with Burst Bombs, particularly since the CJS is fairly slow at splatting on its own.

Azure J

Splash Wall is one of the rarest sub weapons I've seen used in my absurd amount of time playing Splatoon so far. It always surprises me and I do have the rather embarrassing honor of being KO'd by one on Urchin Underpass a few weeks ago. I actually didn't know people could set it up so it's a OHKO on people trying to swim into choke points. :lol

RedFyn

I still haven't figured out the most optimal use of the Splash Wall.
I don't think many people have. I like facing people that try to use it because it gives them a false sense of confidence

Talking about turf war. People have it down in splat zones

Geg

From the tumbles

tumblr_nr4qn5Y6qm1u3akyno1_1280.jpg
Tonight at 7 PM PT, the Sploosh-o-matic will join the arsenal of Splatoon! It’s range is super short, but it gobbles up foes in close-quarters combat. Take them by surprise and there’s no escape! The Squid Beakon subs will help you get in there, and the Killer Wail special will let you wreck shop once you do.

Also arriving tonight is the .96 Gal Deco! It’s a more sparkly version of the original .96 Gal, but this one comes with a Splash Wall sub and a Kraken special to strike a perfect balance between defense and attack.

Awww yes, B+. Now the long road towards A-
MlWA77xKZrIlQ3E2xE

From the tumbles

Tonight at 7 PM PT, the Sploosh-o-matic will join the arsenal of Splatoon! It’s range is super short, but it gobbles up foes in close-quarters combat. Take them by surprise and there’s no escape! The Squid Beakon subs will help you get in there, and the Killer Wail special will let you wreck shop once you do.

Also arriving tonight is the .96 Gal Deco! It’s a more sparkly version of the original .96 Gal, but this one comes with a Splash Wall sub and a Kraken special to strike a perfect balance between defense and attack.

A .96 with a splash wall and kraken?!! Holey shet found my new main.

Sploosh o matic seems pretty cool, let's see how it fares against aerosprays and Splattershot Jr's in close combat

69wpm

What the heck is going on with Ranked. I downgraded to freaking A because the game disconnected, now I lost another 24 points because of disconnects. The penalty because of disconnects is ridiculous.

Robotguy

From my current available experience with CJS, I think it's pretty important to get Kraken asap, so my current CJS set has at least 2 main Special Charge Ups (the last main is Ink Resist). CJS has a fairly hard time dealing with corners and short distances; Burst Bombs don't hit as large an area and can't threaten a splat like Splat or Suction Bombs do, and they can't wall off enemies the way an angled Splash Wall can. Going around a corner to fight at close range against another gun is usually asking for it as well. Kraken definitely helps with fighting enemies at close range or enemies that you can lure to you, as you mentioned.

The next question for me is whether I want Swim Speed Up or Ink Savers for subs like you mentioned. I'm currently going heavy on Swim Speed Up so that I have better mobility for spacing, as well as increasing my move speed while in Kraken form. The CJS definitely chews through ink really quickly, so I find that I have to dip for ink more often than I'd like relative to other weapons. I prefer getting opportunistic kills or to pressure enemies though, so I find that I'm swimming around in ink fairly often. I don't want to be the road builder on the team if I can help it, because the CJS is definitely not good for covering ground.

I also need to remember to use the Burst Bombs more :( there are probably lots of short range (and long range!) KO opportunities once I have better use with Burst Bombs, particularly since the CJS is fairly slow at splatting on its own.
The main disadvantage of burst bombs vs splat or suction bombs for me is I can't use them to try to force people out from behind cover with them very effectively. As you noted going around corners with long ranged shooters can be rather dangerous so I don't want to go back there myself to confront people obviously. I can see the utility of getting Kraken quickly so you have that extra safety. Personally, I would go with some ink savers over swim speed for a CJS build, but I do see the utility of using swim speed up to be able to back up quickly to outrange people and it is something I have thought about implementing in my long range builds but I haven't really played around with it yet.

Zero²

Hummm two new weapons? Nice!
Dunno about .96 with a splash wall, I mostly use the .96 range to it's full extent so I dont really have much use to the splash wall... I could use it for blocking passage, and for protecting from chargers though, so it'll be fun to try it out.

Top Bottom