• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

WALKMAN04

tumblr_nt9bo6W7ln1ux943mo1_1280.jpg

"What is your wish?"
"REMOVE E-LITER FROM THE GAME"
This hurts coming from my dual squelcher brother, how could you wish for my second favorite weapon gone.

So after a lot of kicking and screaming I finally sat down and taught myself motion controls. It took a lot of practice and re-conditioning but I’d say I’m a lot better for it now. The only thing I have yet to regain is the maneuverability speed I had. I now become too preoccupied with that fine-tune aiming and forget to quick dip in and out to become a harder target.

I’ve been getting frustrated with this game lately. I never get to play with non-Japanese players anymore. Between their skill level and lag, they wipe the floor with me. The skill level doesn’t bother me as I love the competition and chance to improve. However, pit better players against me with some lag and I get really frustrated. I’m so tired of instantly exploding to weapons that should be 4 hit kills.

I’m far from the best, but I’d say I’m above average. When Rainmaker came out the other day I jumped right in and was doing really good. I was matched up with mostly USA players though. When I play with all Japanese players I’m always on the losing team, which I can only conclude is my fault. I’m the only constant variable. I know how impossible it can be to win when a team member drops out, so if I keep getting shut down my poor teammates are having to carry the weight.

Part of it is I’m so bullheaded I refuse to accept defeat. I played a round of Bluefin Depot where an exceptional E-Liter sat and camped the entire left area. I refused to just say “well he’s too good and I’ll never get past him so better move on”. Nope, tried the whole match to approach him and didn’t succeed once, dying about 12 times…

Peléo

Part of it is I’m so bullheaded I refuse to accept defeat. I played a round of Bluefin Depot where an exceptional E-Liter sat and camped the entire left area. I refused to just say “well he’s too good and I’ll never get past him so better move on”. Nope, tried the whole match to approach him and didn’t succeed once, dying about 12 times…

Man, in my opinion that is one of the most fun parts of the game. I see it as a more complex boss fight, where you fight against a highly intelligent and innovative AI.

Trying out new strategies and figuring ways of approaching as well as all the mindgames and adaptaions involved makes this 1x1 combat really amazing. It also only gets better when you put teamwork and coordination in the mix.

Razmos

Peléo;175935416 said:
Man, in my opinion that is one of the most fun parts of the game. I see it as a more complex boss fight, where you fight against a highly intelligent and innovative AI.

Trying out new strategies and figuring ways of approaching as well as all the mindgames and adaptaions involved makes this 1x1 combat really amazing. It also only gets better when you put teamwork and coordination in the mix.
That is kinda true, in that sniper duel I mentioned earlier, the guy kept seeing me no matter what, even when he was aiming in the opposite direction, and at one point I tricked him by jumping down and hiding behind a wall, he swung around and scanned the area but I waited him out until he turned back to focus on the game and that's when I got him.

It felt immensely satisfying.

of course, after that though he had a serious revenge hard on for me and was aiming specifically for me for the rest of the match so I couldn't get anything done, but hey.

Totakeke

That is kinda true, in that sniper duel I mentioned earlier, the guy kept seeing me no matter what, even when he was aiming in the opposite direction, and at one point I tricked him by jumping down and hiding behind a wall, he swung around and scanned the area but I waited him out until he turned back to focus on the game and that's when I got him.

of course, after that though he had a serious revenge hard on for me and was aiming specifically for me for the rest of the match so I couldn't get anything done, but hey.

The stealth mindgames is one of the best things ever about the game.

Robotguy

I imagine frequent suction bomb users know this already, but it appears that if you throw a suction bomb at the exact location of a sprinkler it replaces the sprinkler. Though it's possible that the sprinkler user threw a new one a the same time I threw the suction bomb though.
Don't know that there is any practical application to this, as it's a heck of a lot of ink to get rid of a sprinkler, but it's interesting I guess.

Geg

This hurts coming from my dual squelcher brother, how could you wish for my second favorite weapon gone.

Hey it's not me, I'm just translating it because I thought it was funny lol

Also I went home for lunch and my internet is down :( Hopefully it'll fix itself or I'll be able get it up again talking to comcast

You are clearly the most dangerous boss, congrats! Sometimes it's nice to know that you're important :)

Edit: Hopefully with that sniper's full focus it means that the rest of your team gets more done as well :p

Razmos

I hope we hear about the next EU Splatfest soon.

I haven't actually gotten involved in one yet, I took a break from the game shortly before the first one and only managed to do 2 matches of the North vs South pole game, I loved the night time effect and the music changes though, so I'm quite excited to get more involved in the next one.

Peléo;175935416 said:
At the same time I really let my team down because in my crusade to stop this guy, I essentially contributed nothing the whole match.

When the results screen comes by and I'm dead bottom with a pathetic paint score and insane death rate it makes me feel awful.

Note too, when Splatfest comes along and it's purely regional I do exceptionally well.

Totakeke

At the same time I really let my team down because in my crusade to stop this guy, I essentially contributed nothing the whole match.

When the results screen comes by and I'm dead bottom with a pathetic paint score and insane death rate it makes me feel awful.

Note too, when Splatfest comes along and it's purely regional I do exceptionally well.

That's not because of region. Matchmaking is essentially turned off during splatfest.

Azure J

Coming out of that Splatoon tournament series thread on gaming side, I'm actually really happy that people are more curious/open minded about Splatoon's competitive merits.

Here's a pic of the legendary hat you get at level 50. *-*

This picture is like an album cover. :lol

Zing

Banned
Always funny to see people who obviously glitched their levels. A "level 50" in my game who died miserably and clearly wasn't that experienced.

Zing

Banned
Is your game data by user or by Mii? I could see one Wii U account being shared at an Internet cafe or something.

Always funny to see people who obviously glitched their levels. A "level 50" in my game who died miserably and clearly wasn't that experienced.

Could be someone using that person's account or them using an unfamiliar weapon lol. I'd like to say I am decent at least with a Splash O Matic but put me in charge of a charger and I'm a crawling baby.

DaBoss

Some knew about my stick being iffy the past few days, but I've got it fixed now. All I needed was compressed air. Seems like some dust or something got inside and was messing it up. Now it works just like it used to. Really glad it wasn't actually broken.

Also saw this on Reddit: http://gfycat.com/PlasticHomelyGiantschnauzer

Thought the guy was gonna die because the kraken didn't paint a path to the hill.
*insert story about DaBoss and his custom splattershot jr.*
lol yea, every time I use that in Splat Zones and Tower Control, it's like why am I using this other than to annoy people with disruptors.

I always just assume people are trying out new weapons if they aren't doing well. Unless they are just doing something straight up dumb lol.
That thread is really old. I remember seeing it and thought it was funny.

Some knew about my stick being iffy the past few days, but I've got it fixed now. All I needed was compressed air. Seems like some dust or something got inside and was messing it up. Now it works just like it used to. Really glad it wasn't actually broken.

Thought the guy was gonna die because the kraken didn't paint a path to the hill.

lol yea, every time I use that in Splat Zones and Tower Control, it's like why am I using this other than to annoy people with disruptors.

I always just assume people are trying out new weapons if they aren't doing well. Unless they are just doing something straight up dumb lol.

That thread is really old. I remember seeing it and thought it was funny.
Aw shucks saw it on the first page of one of the forums and thought it was new

LostAnkh

What a good team mate

Regiruler

The feel of finally s rank

Props to the teammate who knew to pull back the rainmaker to where the opponents couldn't reach us in the last 10 seconds

Robotguy

The feel of finally s rank

Props to the teammate who knew to pull back the rainmaker to where the opponents couldn't reach us in the last 10 seconds
Yeah, it's important to know when to just play defensively. One of my teams last night risked totally screwing that up. There are like 15 seconds left and the rainmaker was at the top of an unclimbable ledge and enemy team would have to go a long way out of their way + through all 4 of us to get to it and they had extremely limited flanking opportunities. Dude decides to grab it and jump down the ledge. But it all turned out alright in the end.

Jintor

you know i'm kinda impressed I've managed to reach S rank at all considering I seriously can't aim for shit lol. 3/4 one on one duels i'll lose, I just don't have twitch gyro reflexes for horizontal movement

ChrisD

My first 3-Sub! Re-rolled my Golf Visor twice. The first was junk, the second gave me triple Super Jump Speed. It's tempting me to re-roll my Moto Boots and try for the triple run speed up, but I already have two...

Top Bottom