• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

CO_Andy

So last night i created an alt account to mess around with in Splatoon. Lemme tell you it's absolutely painful playing with below lvl 10 scrubs. They're like puny ants waiting to be crushed cause that's how free they are.

Afterwards i switched back to my main account to get a reality check and proceeded to get my ass whooped in A rank league.

Totakeke

My previous post was poorly worded, so I will rephrase...

Has anyone seen a chart or list comparing the run speeds of each weapon while "shooting"?

I have a general feeling that aerospray is the fastest runner while constantly shooting. I have fun with triple run speed and it in turf war.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bgcQxHCY-g3KXoGf2rnYExium9qeELagu3mF6AjoU4g/edit#gid=0
http://squidboards.com/threads/the-...ecials-and-abilities-range-dps-and-more.2139/

Pretty sure Nozzlenose is still the fastest because the time you spend in "shooting mode" is minimal unlike other weapons.

Zing

Banned
Uh, don't know why but Ikaling website shows that the rule and maps for ranked battle will be the same in next rotation.
Next rotation is:

Turfwar - saltspray, blackbelly
Ranked - walleye, arowana

So last night i created an alt account to mess around with in Splatoon. Lemme tell you it's absolutely painful playing with below lvl 10 scrubs. They're like puny ants waiting to be crushed cause that's how free they are.
Yes. My daughter is level 19 and C+. The people she played with are literally children. I know this because she can't send them friend requests (under 13 cannot accept friend requests, they can only initiate).

Thanks for links. I am not counting nozzlenose since it isn't a constant shooter.
And my aim with it is awful when running at top speed.

EulaCapra

I wonder if we are gonna get a theme park map:
WVW69iTxYbI5Zx_h21

Or an Airport map, for that matter.
WVW69iTxZcwsda1YON
I hope so. It would be great to battle somewhere else besides an oil rig, or a packing facility, or under a highway, a shipping port, a shipping bay, and a parking structure (or whatever Moray Towers is). Everything is so industrial. It's basically New Jersey: the Game.

Totakeke

The spreadsheet also confirms the observation I had when sploosh-o-matic first came out. It has the highest DPS of all weapons so if you want to just win the rainmaker shield breaking match, the Sploosh would probably be the best. Assuming you don't get splatted by high damage one hit shots like from a charger by standing too close.

No. Current is saltspray and kelp for turf war. If you mean for ranked, yes. Rainmaker... AGAIN.

Nintendo needs to reboot the server. It is stuck in an infinite Rainmaker loop.

So then only kelp is booted for blackbelly? That's 3/4th of the maps staying the same. How very weird.

edit:
Does anyone have the black layered ls shirt with ink saver main as the primary ability?
You mean the one from squidforce? Yeah I got it.

ChrisD

The one thing I hate about Rainmaker in Saltspray, is that the anybody can camp the rainmaker in the back part of the map for some time. It gets really annoying when it happens constantly.

I'm gonna start coating that path off, just to (try and) turn things around when they attempt a time out.

I don't mind the tactic, I use it myself, but it always catches off-guard.

Totakeke

Hmm, also never realized that 2 main defense up makes splattershot takes one more hit to kill. Now all the defense up gear I've seen in ranked makes sense.

Gsnap

I feel like damage up and defense up should just be removed from the game.

They needlessly complicate the system, and their only real use for most weapons is to cancel out the other one. So what you end up with is a situation where having multiple damage ups is the same as having no damage ups because people counter with defense up and vice versa. Both parties are upping their stats and yet the end result is the same as if they had just not done anything.

Since their only purpose is to fight each other in a battle to maintain status quo, they need to go.

backlot

I feel like damage up and defense up should just be removed from the game.

They needlessly complicate the system, and their only real use for most weapons is to cancel out the other one. So what you end up with is a situation where having multiple damage ups is the same as having no damage ups because people counter with defense up and vice versa. Both parties are upping their stats and yet the end result is the same as if they had just not done anything.

Since their only purpose is to fight each other in a battle to maintain status quo, they need to go.

Damage up is pretty great for Chargers, Rollers and Blasters regardless of how much damage up the enemy has.

Robotguy

The real purpose of damage up is to give Custom Jet Squelcher a 1 bomb 1 shot combo.

.... which would make it more dangerous at midrange if I was any good at actually pulling it off.

Gsnap

I think they need to go. The game would be better off. 90% of the game would remain unchanged and the rest would be more balanced and less needlessly complex.

Gsnap

You could say that about literally any ability.

No. Most abilities only affect the person using them. Swim speed up makes me faster. It doesn't also make my enemy slower. So my enemy doesn't need to stack swim speeds up to cancel that out. How stupid would that be, huh?

Most abilities give the player actual, interesting choices based on how they want to make their personal build. It doesn't matter if the enemy is stacking quick respawns. Good for them. That's not going to influence my choice to stack special charge up because that's what I think is best for my build.

Dmg up and Defense up aren't like that. I don't know if I should use dmg up because I don't know if it's best for my build because I don't know if my enemy is going to run something to cancel it out. Same thing for defense up. There's too many unknown variables to account for. I can't make any real choices, only hope that the enemy I go up against has abilities that don't cancel out mine. And the only weapons that they're really useful for don't actually need them anyway because they're already strong weapons. Yes, as a player it's nice to have a charger that kills at half charge, but as a designer, I wouldn't want that because I purposefully made the charger take that long for a reason.

If they were gone tomorrow, 90% of the game would remain unchanged (except that it would be a cleaner experience without needlessly complex choices), and the other 10% would just go back to normal, possibly being better balanced.

I'm just surprised they were even put in the game in the first place.

nom

The map rotation pretty much just repeated itself :eek: Kelp Dome changed for Blackbelly Skatepark in Turf Wars but everything else including game mode stayed the same.

WALKMAN04

For anyone who says the rotation system is fine we have just had back to back same maps and mode for ranked, 8 hours of Walleye Warehouse and Arowana Mall on rainmaker.

Violet_0

Banned
disappointed that the glass doors apparently don't open, could have been a fun little gimmick

And the only weapons that they're really useful for don't actually need them anyway because they're already strong weapons. Yes, as a player it's nice to have a charger that kills at half charge, but as a designer, I wouldn't want that because I purposefully made the charger take that long for a reason.

3 Damage up mains and two subs, which is quite a lot, let you kill at 80 damage (+25%). Chargers can splat at half-charges because they were designed that way, Damage Up only amplifies this somewhat

DaBoss

How do they do this? Do their wii Us just have access to the test server now?
This video is probably from whatever press event happened that let them try out the new update before August 3rd and Rainmaker. We knew that Flounder Heights was one of the maps they were able to try back then.
Are there bird's eye views of every map available? I would like to have images like that.

It would be nice to have some clean pics of the actual map and not just the mini-map or the ones with writing like from the Prima Guide.

Flounder Heights looks like it might be TOO big. Some of these maps seem like they'd benefit from 5v5.

Hammerhead looks like a super version of Walleye though, so I'm looking forward to that.

I bought this game last week and have been playing it a lot since. I have many thoughts, my most immedieate is that THE RAINMAKER CAN EXPLODE?!

Top Bottom