• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

khaaan

GAF, I need your help getting back up to speed after not playing for a while.

For my abilities I was initially going for Strength Up + Ink Saver + Something Else. This made sense to me because I'm using the N-Zap 89 which doesn't pack a lot of punch and I felt like I was running out of Ink a lot. Playing online though I rarely see anyone using a N-Zap and I don't think I've seen anyone using Strength Up skills either. So now I'm not so sure about my goals anymore. Is there any reason I shouldn't be using that combo of abilities? Are there any "suggested" sets?

6f0cb565b160066b6d48b69e336df829.jpg

Vecks

GAF, I need your help getting back up to speed after not playing for a while.

For my abilities I was initially going for Strength Up + Ink Saver + Something Else. This made sense to me because I'm using the N-Zap 89 which doesn't pack a lot of punch and I felt like I was running out of Ink a lot. Playing online though I rarely see anyone using a N-Zap and I don't think I've seen anyone using Strength Up skills either. So now I'm not so sure about my goals anymore. Is there any reason I shouldn't be using that combo of abilities? Are there any "suggested" sets?

You can use those if you want. Ink saver works all right for n-zap. IMO, I don't think n-zap really needs damage up because you should be able to kill pretty fast as it is. It's weak, but the high rate of fire and good accuracy makes up for it. As long as you've got a good shot, people will die before they even realize you were there. But if you don't feel confident in killing, the damage up could help a little.

As for other suggestions, ink resistance is generally useful. And I'd also suggest you give run speed up a try. Being able to run faster while shooting should help against close-range weapons.

Zing

Banned
So what's the downside of wielding a .96? It really is starting to seem that everybody is using them and it's splashwalls everywhere.
The 96 is incredibly slow when shooting. It also uses a lot of ink and is poor as spreading ink. Unless you are already winning, or sticking to "your side" where the ground is all your ink, it is very tough to move around.

I feel it is strong for rainmaker on most maps as long as your team is keeping ground inked.

It will also seem overly strong to anyone with lag, since you will usually die to them before you see them.

Zing

Banned
Do you guys quit after every single turf war? I've been chasing GAF players from match to match for 30 minutes now and every single time, they have left by the time I join.

Zing

Banned
It is my default weapon in Rainmaker or Splatzones.

You guys are awful with it though.

Edit: oops, I meant the "L".

Zing

Banned
People who use chargers wear the ugliest gear.

Everyone has the headband, striped long sleeve shirt, sometimes those eggplant shoes... It could be worse. They could be sporting the samurai helmet.

I prefer to have style and decent abilities.

That's just cause you haven't played ranked yet. :p
Oh man you weren't kidding... Only in B- Rank and I'm already mentally cursing my team at times. Either way, I want to continue to play ranked solo and up my game for a bit before I start teaming up, since I feel that I might drag some of you guys down.

Nico_D

I'm sure you look nice in a puddle of ink after they splat you down.

But yeah, they surely don't do nice clothes for chargers. I want my Hitman outfit.

StAidan

I tried my best to derank in solo tonight but finally gave up at S 7. I've been up to S 50 a couple times and as low as S 1. Most of my S-rank matches so far have seemed like the teams are pretty reasonably matched, so losing doesn't bother me so much -- but tonight was just ridiculous in terms of matchups, like my entire team getting destroyed because it's composed of 1 octobrush (me) and 3 splatlings.

This would go on for a few rounds, then the game would hand me even matchups a couple times to preserve my rank, only to give me more awful weapon combos or a team that couldn't stay alive for any reasonable amount of time.

One funny moment was when matchmaking dropped me into an A rank lobby, where I went 21/5 carrying my team to victory. It was pretty silly because they had a horrible time staying in control even though 3/4 of the enemy team was dead the whole time.

Just wanted to share.

Earlier I had 11 matches straight on Salt Spray. Followed by 11 matches straight on Walleye. I...I guess that's kinda a type of map rotation? Also managed to be on a team with a roller who put tons of beacons directly on the spawn, and proceeded to spend the entire map never more than two inches away from any of them. He did the same thing in the next two matches. I....I don't know why. I don't know how. On the same team, I had a roller who never rolled. He just flicked. He'd walk across uninked land......I dunno.

Now I've drunk enough that it's kinda funny.

J@hranimo

Banned
Man the H-3 is kinda odd. It's like someone initiated slow mode on the L-3 and each shot is just strong. Slow movement is throwing me off a little.

Damn.

Was just on a team where we were all Aerospray RG users. Moray Towers. We went 86.5% to 11.2%. Think that's the best I've had on that map.

Loving run speed up. That and quick spawn is really helping my game out a bit.

ffdgh

Yeesh I need to practice on my aim and being more patient. Tonight has been so bad. That's what I get for trying splat zones I suppose lol.

Edit: and then it puts my team vs 3 dual squelchers and a jr...yeah I can take a hint game. >_____>

Had one of the hardest matches of my life just now on Flounder Heights SplatZones with my guys VS carbon roller, krakon roller, gold dynamo, and a 96 deco.

It was going into Overtime with them behind by 1 point and just about to lose their penalty while they were in control. I did one last desperate flank and earned enough to Inkzooka two of them and then trade with the last one. The first two I killed captured one zone and when we traded with the third, his ink-plosion captured the second zone, winning the game.

Say what you will but Splatzones is easily my favorite mode. Way more strategic while also being hectic, whereas Tower Control is just chaos at times and Rainmaker is Russian Roulette Blitzkrieg where all the bullets are live. The only way to win is to not play. *grump*

ChrisD

Everyone has the headband, striped long sleeve shirt, sometimes those eggplant shoes... It could be worse. They could be sporting the samurai helmet.

I don't practice more with Charger because I don't like those clothes (and they're what I use for sniping). True story. Can't be looking like a goof while playing Splatoon.

J@hranimo

Banned
Pros of Japan Splatfest: Less lag, easier players in squad ranked :D

Cons of Japan Splatfest: You get timed out and everyone from the squad gets separated because the matchmaking couldn't find a squad =/

Pikma

Banned
Pros of Japan Splatfest: Less lag, easier players in squad ranked :D

Cons of Japan Splatfest: You get timed out and everyone from the squad gets separated because the matchmaking couldn't find a squad =/
It's the definition of a love-hate relationship.

Nico_D

I had a funny encounter at Moray Towers this morning. Brought to you by God of Lag.

A roller ran over me. Well, through me. And I thought to myself, "Hell, I'm not going to die here!"

He saw what I was thinking and drove through me again. Nope, didn't stick.

Then I shot him and continued my business.

I can only guess the amount of cursing at the other end of the line.

ss-hikaru

Had the best JPN splatfest so far! Got teamed up with some awesome inklings and then after we got disconnected (boooo) I was lucky enough to get teamed up with another awesome bunch ^____^ Lots of NAISU's going round really felt like a team. And we won most of our games, go team tsukkomi! Even though I rarely topped the internal team ranking I never felt like I was dragging the team down and since they all hung around to continue playing with me I felt like I must've been doing ok. Good boost for my self esteem :p

NA splatfest topic is good! Go team science! EU splatfest is LOL. Go team tidy room? Forever a Marie/Hotaru faninkling~~~

Top Bottom