• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Vena

That horrifying moment when you're trying to climb the A ranks in Splatoon, when you see the largest spider crawling on the floor of your room.

Nope, sorry team, can't cope, turns off Wii U, I'm out!!!!

You really are a detriment to your squad.

ChrisD

That horrifying moment when you're trying to climb the A ranks in Splatoon, when you see the largest spider crawling on the floor of your room.

Nope, sorry team, can't cope, turns off Wii U, I'm out!!!!

LOL

Flounder Heights is going to be in rotation two times in a row. It was also in last night. I'm worried, guys. I couldn't take another Flounderthon.

ffdgh

LOL

Flounder Heights is going to be in rotation two times in a row. It was also in last night. I'm worried, guys. I couldn't take another Flounderthon.
It's not so bad...tho that's mostly because I've been having decent luck on that stage for once.(Rainmaker)

ChrisD

If we're playing me, Sendou and Robotguy normally stream it on Twitch. I upload them to YouTube afterwards too, here's a match against SS-S (no. 1 ranked clan) from our most recent tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK3VrwDudN0

we lost 3-0 but I thought we did ok :p

Thought I already replied to this. The things being online at 4AM do to you haha.
I really think you guys could have pulled off at least one win with voice chat. (Unless you did have it and it just wasn't in the video?) You've definitely got the play.

I watched some of SS-C Dude's tournament videos after posting the question, and they relay so much information. Noting what weapon died, where a flank's coming, etc.

Of course, if you do have it then this whole point is kind of moot. :p

It's not so bad...tho that's mostly because I've been having decent luck on that stage for once.(Rainmaker)

I like the stage, it was fun playing it again yesterday. But repeats are scary.

KeigoNiwa

I mean, maps change 4 times a day, totaling at 16 stage changes a day. But there are definitely less than 16 stages, so there's bound to be repeats every day.

I'm sure they just want us to feel like the stages balance out. I mean if they released stages but then forced us to play on vanilla stages all day, we'd feel like they were under using the new stuff.

WALKMAN04

Thought I already replied to this. The things being online at 4AM do to you haha.
I really think you guys could have pulled off at least one win with voice chat. (Unless you did have it and it just wasn't in the video?) You've definitely got the play.

I watched some of SS-C Dude's tournament videos after posting the question, and they relay so much information. Noting what weapon died, where a flank's coming, etc.

We did use voice chat, James just doesn't use voice chat and his mic stream at the same time I think. It was my first time playing with voice chat and that 4 man group never practiced before that day so maybe that's why we seem like we weren't as coordinated, we are aware that this is what's separating us from reaching the top that other teams practice together and have better communication than us, hopefully we get better at these things as time goes on.

Robotguy

We've used voice chat in all the tournaments. Personally, I prefer not to stream the voice chat during tourneys, and I guess James is the same maybe.

We didn't have much practice together as a team though, which hurt us.

Geg

We've used voice chat in all the tournaments. Personally, I prefer not to stream the voice chat during tourneys, and I guess James is the same maybe.

We didn't have much practice together as a team though, which hurt us.

You actually did have the voice chat playing in your stream for that tournament, just not your own voice lol. So if I unmuted your stream on the multitwitch I would just hear James talking to himself with Walkman occasionally chiming in

Robotguy

You actually did have the voice chat playing in your stream for that tournament, just not your own voice lol. So if I unmuted your stream on the multitwitch I would just hear James talking to himself with Walkman occasionally chiming in
Oh....
Huh.
Guess the input source for the stream was set to the PC output. Guess I'll have to set it to the line in then.

Well, I guess what I can do is use my laptop for communication, which I was thinking of doing anyways. Connect the audio out from my TV to my laptop and use that as my game/ chat mixer like I'm doing now. Then I can use stream the audio in I get from the Elgato like I should be doing, which should fix early audio problem I have going on. Then I can use the mic on my laptop for voice chat, which frees up my webcam to connect to my tablet, so I can use that to record my game map while simultaneously using it as a more easily viewed map.
Ultimate 4 device, 6 screen Splatoon experience.

Ahnez

I mean, maps change 4 times a day, totaling at 16 stage changes a day. But there are definitely less than 16 stages, so there's bound to be repeats every day.

I'm sure they just want us to feel like the stages balance out. I mean if they released stages but then forced us to play on vanilla stages all day, we'd feel like they were under using the new stuff.

Well, technically you have 6 full rotations every day, if you count the one before the first change and the one after the last lol

So you have 24 maps, while there are only 10 different maps.

Its possible to each map only appear 2/3 times a day - but some times Flounder Heights appear more than four times in a row :p

Also ~

WVW69iXms-QOxfRAh7

So close

Luigi87

Just had a loss because everyone else on my team superjumped into enemy territory (that was covered in their ink) and all got splat'd on landing -_-

Following match was at least a decisive victory.

WALKMAN04

Is someone playing right now? I want to join!
There aren't too many playing, especially at that time since the Mario Maker treehouse was live, but you would always have better luck asking in discord, see second post for details, it takes literally 2 min to set up, it's available on pc and mobile, and most of the splatoon conversation has moved to there. Hopefully this helps for future reference if you aren't still playing.

Luigi87

I'm thinking, do you think a team should lose distance if they suicide with the Rainmaker? Since say an enemy team pushes it deep into your base, sometimes people will pick it up and suicide to force it to reset so it at least isn't in the base (such as on the Camp)

Needham

I hit S-97 twice and got disconnected the next game both times. I only had 10 seconds to go in a sure win the first time. Seriously, what the fuck game? Is this some secret hurdle I need to overcome, maybe I have to bypass 97 and land on 98? Stuck at S-90 for now. S+ will have to wait until some other day.

EDIT

Nevermind, decided to keep trying in Splat Zones and went on a four game winning streak and finally made it. I should note that I jumped from S-96 to S-99, completely bypassing S-97 and the secret disconnect error.

I hit S-97 twice and got disconnected the next game both times. I only had 10 seconds to go in a sure win the first time. Seriously, what the fuck game? Is this some secret hurdle I need to overcome, maybe I have to bypass 97 and land on 98? Stuck at S-90 for now. S+ will have to wait until some other day.

EDIT

Nevermind, decided to keep trying in Splat Zones and went on a four game winning streak and finally made it. I should note that I jumped from S-96 to S-99, completely bypassing S-97 and the secret disconnect error.

I've been on an awful, awful run tonight and have gone from S70 down to S4 and the game disconnected twice on two sure wins. I was about 2 and 15 in the other matches.

Nico_D

So what's the downside of wielding a .96? It really is starting to seem that everybody is using them and it's splashwalls everywhere.

Point is that this far every weapon in Splatoon has had it's uses and none is vastly better than the other - it's just got different uses and tactics, for example Rollers and Blasters can be beat by taking a weapon with more range.

But how about against .96? It's got two invincible abilities: the splashwall and Kraken. By the time you use a charger to take down the splashwall, they've probably gotten you already with their exceptional range and two-hit kills. Or, when you get the splashwall down and are charging the next shot, they throw another splashwall further getting closer to you. This is especially true if there's more than one 96 on opposing team. Not much you can do if they play like a good team should.

Yesterday evening (my time) showed me how dumb and incderibly boring the game can be when there's 96's on both sides: there's just splashwalls. Each side shoots the other side's wall and when they get it down, put up another. Rinse and repeat, ad infinitum.

Depending on the map, splashwalls can block practically every way so no moving around either.

Boring.

ChrisD

So what's the downside of wielding a .96? It really is starting to seem that everybody is using them and it's splashwalls everywhere.

Point is that this far every weapon in Splatoon has had it's uses and none is vastly better than the other - it's just got different uses and tactics, for example Rollers and Blasters can be beat by taking a weapon with more range.

But how about against .96? It's got two invincible abilities: the splashwall and Kraken. By the time you use a charger to take down the splashwall, they've probably gotten you already with their exceptional range and two-hit kills. Or, when you get the splashwall down and are charging the next shot, they throw another splashwall further getting closer to you. This is especially true if there's more than one 96 on opposing team. Not much you can do if they play like a good team should.

Yesterday evening (my time) showed me how dumb and incderibly boring the game can be when there's 96's on both sides: there's just splashwalls. Each side shoots the other side's wall and when they get it down, put up another. Rinse and repeat, ad infinitum.

Depending on the map, splashwalls can block practically every way so no moving around either.

Boring.

YES
THANK YOU

I've never used it for a reason! I like Splash Walls, I like Krakens, I like Blasters for their one/two shot kills, and range on a weapon is always fun. But I despise the Gal line, and all because of that bedazzled punk that has all of the above.

I don't hate the players who use it. I don't think it's legitimately OP. But it's a jack of all trades, master of a few (range, wall) that's annoying to face. Maybe if it wasn't in all random lobbies things would be different.

On another note, Flounder Heights was in the last rotation, is in right now, and will be in for the next two. Cue "He can't keep getting away with it" .gif.

Robotguy

Boring.
High ink consumption, poor inking ability, poor accuracy at long range.
Granted, the pros make up for the cons, but those are the downsides I can think of.

I thought they're going to add the new map tomorrow, looks like a no now.

Granted, the pros make up for the cons, but those are the downsides I can think of.

That's why I can't use .96 deco. Also, almost every .96 I saw in A+/S rooms have double main defense up, quite painful for a .52 user to play against.

Boring.
Playing against a squad that are all using the .96 gal deco is a nightmare. All of them constantly pushing towards your spawn with back to back splash walls and krakens, once they get even near there, you might as well give up. Even if you kill them, there's always that 1 squid nobody noticed and murders all of you with a surprise kraken, and continues with the vicious cycle from there.

Sometimes they don't even go for the knockout, they'll just stay in your spawn.

Nico_D

I know that, theoretically, you could hoard lots of bomb range ups but bombs take far too much ink to be spammed against and over the walls. And that would just specialize you against cals and splashwalls which isn't good either.

Okay, range up is good against chargers too. Yesterday someone had at least 3 main bomb range ups and he kept dropping me off the ledge with burst bombs. Really effective. And annoying as hell.

Robotguy

I know that, theoretically, you could hoard lots of bomb range ups but bombs take far too much ink to be spammed against and over the walls. And that would just specialize you against cals and splashwalls which isn't good either.

Okay, range up is good against chargers too. Yesterday someone had at least 3 main bomb range ups and he kept dropping me off the ledge with burst bombs. Really effective. And annoying as hell.
Hitzel from squid squad hearts swears by range up burst bombs vs splash wall.
With some ink recovery up you can get enough ink for another BB really quickly.

I've played .96 against him while he was using this tactic and it worked. Granted they had two burst bomb spammers, and it was a 3V4 in their favor, but they got my walls down super quickly and I could never get in range.

In booyah battle we started running killer wail to try to counter splash wall strats. Granted, this isn't as effective as we'd like, as it requires a special to be charged, but it helped.

RedFyn

No, just grab it again since the other team can't and once again suicide.
Just make it reset to the middle if you explode due to the timer running out.

If the ememy kills you it drops where you were. If you time out, the rainmaker resets to the middle (waiting for the timer to end is suicide so why not treat it the same as jumping into water?)

ChrisD

Sweet, my Rainmaker luck is still to the dogs. What happened, RM, I thought we were cool?

I'm A+, and probably for real this time. I've lost every freaking game for the past thirty minutes. Some my fault, some others, all of them idiotic Skatepark knockouts. Not a single Flounder Heights. At this point I'd love to just get the map once out of thirteen games.

Azure J

Playing against a squad that are all using the .96 gal deco is a nightmare. All of them constantly pushing towards your spawn with back to back splash walls and krakens, once they get even near there, you might as well give up. Even if you kill them, there's always that 1 squid nobody noticed and murders all of you with a surprise kraken, and continues with the vicious cycle from there.

Sometimes they don't even go for the knockout, they'll just stay in your spawn.

Relevant.

Nico_D

And I thought me and James with our double walls & the .52 was something. 4 .96's is just the worst.

Yeah and it was funny how in Discord you guys were just talking before the match that how well this must work now that we have double walls - beware enemy team!

Didn't Sendou have a wall too?

Yeah and it was funny how in Discord you guys were just talking before the match that how well this must work now that we have double walls - beware enemy team!

Didn't Sendou have a wall too?
Yeah he switched to a .96 for the 3rd wall. But I think what makes it work is the raw power the .96s bring with the 2 hit kill no matter what.

Just make it reset to the middle if you explode due to the timer running out.

If the ememy kills you it drops where you were. If you time out, the rainmaker resets to the middle (waiting for the timer to end is suicide so why not treat it the same as jumping into water?)
No.

Have it respawn on your base's pedestal.

Those were some amusing 1v1s we had Heng ;P dunno if you'll read this, but if you have any advice on what I can do better or can point out bad habits I need to fix, I would like to hear about either.

Heng

Those were some amusing 1v1s we had Heng ;P dunno if you'll read this, but if you have any advice on what I can do better or can point out bad habits I need to fix, I would like to hear about either.
You did fine, nothing I've noticed that had to be fixed. Any advice I could give you would only benefit a 1v1 match, it would be easier to get the jump on someone when there's 3 other people running around. I wouldn't let our session get to you, it really means nothing.

Maybe work on your movement when fighting someone? It's hard to kill someone when they move away mid combat, especially if you have a weapon that really hurts your walk speed like a squelcher.

Pikma

Banned
My journey to S+ has been so damn frustrating. I'm about to give up. Lost like 30 points in just 5 matches. :(

Edit: managed to recover 21 of them and decided to call it a night. That was freaking tough, won the last one in overtime and just because I used a bubble to make the last push.

Geg

From the tumblr

tumblr_nuhkbnhWMf1u3akyno1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nuhkbnhWMf1u3akyno2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nuhkbnhWMf1u3akyno3_1280.jpg
tumblr_nuhkbnhWMf1u3akyno4_1280.jpg

Listen up squids! This here is the H-3 Nozzlenose. You want a weapon that packs a wallop and also kind of looks like a garden hose rolled up? This here’s your pick. A long interval between shots is made up for by high attack
power. With the H-3 Nozzlenose, a one-hit kill is a real possibility.

I think by now you guys know the drill - talk to Sheldon after 7 PM PT tonight to get your hands on it!

Top Bottom