• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Feels good to win another Splatfest. I'll take those sea snails B)
How many Splatfest have we had so far. I already lost count lol.
Only lost one Splatfest so far
damn you art

ChrisD

Oh wow, ninja players sucked, huh? Go Luffys everywhere! Enjoy the Sea Snails. In a few months, anyways. I assume from your notoriety of having a billion episodes it will take you that long to actually collect them.

I didn't know about that word being racist in origin. That's another to remove from my vocabulary. :/ Thanks for the heads-up.

Doorman

I was so worried when I saw that popularity split. I knew it would be heavily skewed in favor of ninjas but holy hell. The inexplicable perfect Splatfest record rolls onward. Glad I played enough to rake in them snails, I'm gonna need 'em.

And yeah, there was bitching early when popularity was able to win matches, now people seem peeved that it's virtually a non-factor. There's really no winning with this thing, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ChrisD

For NA a 3x win multiplier would work imo. But even 4x is better than 6x, that really seems like a change only Japan (unsure of EU's situation) needed. Pirates still would have won this with a 4x so nothing changed for this Fest in particular. But later ones may have that 6x nullifying popularity entirely.

I forgot this line from the EU Splatfest announcement:
FAYrzK1.png

I thought you were a roller girl...
still means you can plus wasn't all of Agent 3s gears hand-me-downs which would include the hero shot
Might as well show the full text is written down here

Also as a redditor pointred out that promo art from a few days ago has ninja, pirate, love (vampire with bouquet), money (bling girl with gold aerospray), zombie and ghost. We could have known the theme a day sooner...

I actually lol'd at the NA results. Well played, Pirates. This is the strongest evidence yet that the more popular team is generally going to have the lower win percentage.

Dr. Buni

Didn't get to play yesterday, but thankfully I chose Team Pirate. I was confident Team Ninja would win though, glad that wasn't the case.

Wiseblade

I actually lol'd at the NA results. Well played, Pirates. This is the strongest evidence yet that the more popular team is generally going to have the lower win percentage.
And now that win rate makes up 80% of the Splatfest score, it's almost impossible for the more popular team to win.

Ahnez

Holy shit that 59-41

59 exactly the auto-win rate with 6x

Even with 0-100 popularity, ninjas would have still lost lol

Go pirates!

Luigi87

Craaaaaaaaaaap, I completely forgot about Splatfest, and I would have been totally Team Pirates too (as stated several pages back)

... bluh!

DaBoss

72% vs 28%

Wow...that's a huge difference.

I like how both of these results would be the same with a 4x multiplier too.
Eh, it's happened 6/20 times already where the more popular got more wins.
You can't really include Japan when talking about the situation in NA. There was only one time in NA where the most popular team got the most wins and it was just 51%.

I think it can be safely assumed that the average skill base in NA is much lower than the average skill base in Japan, so havin more people hurts a lot in a 6x multiplier.

I think it can be safely assumed that the average skill base in NA is much lower than the average skill base in Japan, so havin more people hurts a lot in a 6x multiplier.
I think this is the best explanation of the difference. I also think it's safe to say that in a 4 on 4 game having one player with lower skill is going to make a team more likely to lose than a highly skilled player would make them likely to win. Not that I'm complaining. I just like thinking about these kinds of statistics problems.

Though I wonder if others start thinking the same and pick the team they think will be less popular... thus making it the popular team and thus more likely to lose. But then they'll consider that and choose the other team. But now that team's the more popular one so... (ad infinitum)

Doorman

Though I wonder if others start thinking the same and pick the team they think will be less popular... thus making it the popular team and thus more likely to lose. But then they'll consider that and choose the other team. But now that team's the more popular one so... (ad infinitum)

vizzini-princess-bride11.jpeg

Never match wits with a Sicilian when snails are on the line!

Geg

For the record there have been lots of times where the more popular team also had the higher win rate, though it's only happened once in the US, for Art vs Science.

In EU it happened for Rock vs Pop and Messy vs Tidy, while in Japan it happened for Rice vs Bread, Lemon Tea vs Milk Tea, Grasshopper vs Ant, and Boke vs Tsukkomi.

For the record there have been lots of times where the more popular team also had the higher win rate, though it's only happened once in the US, for Art vs Science.

In EU it happened for Rock vs Pop and Messy vs Tidy, while in Japan it happened for Rice vs Bread, Lemon Tea vs Milk Tea, Grasshopper vs Ant, and Boke vs Tsukkomi.

You can't mess with what the Milk Tea drinking Tsukkomi's are cooking.

Except when they have the mindset of Ants.

Edit: Best kill of the day, jumping off the tower, and then getting a mid-air jump by the knockback of the top of a splash wall, and proceeding to kill the .52 Gal user and getting them rekt.

I hope replays are added soon.

mo60

Holy shit that 59-41

59 exactly the auto-win rate with 6x

Even with 0-100 popularity, ninjas would have still lost lol

Go pirates!

Actually the ninja's would have won if that happened under 4X and 6X if it was 0-100 popularity because there would have been no pirates to play against.That scenario will never happen so the more popular team better hope they don't lose as bad as this splatfest next time.

Geg

Eh, as far as I'm concerned that is something that should only happen rarely. So far it's happened in NA with Cats vs Dogs and Marshmallows vs Hot Dogs, EU with Eating vs Sleeping, and Japan with Red Fox vs Green Tanuki and Squid vs Octopus.

So I see Team GAF aka NSTC finally broke the 5th place curse and won a tournament!

nice

you guys won the 5th edition of the biweekly, even in 1st you can't escape 5th

Malus

LOL

We were in Walleye Warehouse Rainmaker, and the opponent took a 15-20 lead with around 30 seconds to go. They opted to take the rainmaker and keep it right next to their goal to prevent us from getting it. We somehow manage to climb all the way up their base, kill the rainmaker guy, instantly get the lead back, and dunk it before overtime. Fucking nuts.

I haven't played Splatoon in a while, mainly because I lost all my gear and stuff.

Finally hopped on tonight. Match making is still boss, I see. I'm a level 8, put against all level 40s and above. My team managed to consist of three Luna blasters and myself (Splattershot Jr). Even going 9-1 and inking 1439p we still lost. : sigh :

They really should balance the teams a lot better than they do.

Top Bottom