• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Geg

The fact that you're going 9-1 against level 40 players is probably why the game is matching you with them, lol. It matches based on skill/playstyle, not level number.

The fact that you're going 9-1 against level 40 players is probably why the game is matching you with them, lol. It matches based on skill/playstyle, not level number.

True. I should probably stop trying to get splats for a while, and see if it puts me against some more crappy players.

ss-hikaru

True. I should probably stop trying to get splats for a while, and see if it puts me against some more crappy players.

What level were you before you lost your data? Is being matched with level 40s that big a deal? You're obviously good enough to be battling with higher levels, do you just want easy matches or something? Sure it sucks to lose with such good KD and ink coverage, but even with level 50s on your team you can still lose a match, honestly I don't think level really means that much anymore :p It's just an indication of who has more time to play splatoon. And while you might think playing more = more experience = better players it really isn't the always the case.....

It sounds like maybe you're focusing too much on leveling up so you can 'catch up' to where you were before you lost your data. How about ignoring the levels and relishing the feeling of being that low level inkling that makes the higher levels go 'oh shit they're really good o_O' >:D

What level were you before you lost your data? Is being matched with level 40s that big a deal? You're obviously good enough to be battling with higher levels, do you just want easy matches or something? Sure it sucks to lose with such good KD and ink coverage, but even with level 50s on your team you can still lose a match, honestly I don't think level really means that much anymore :p It's just an indication of who has more time to play splatoon. And while you might think playing more = more experience = better players it really isn't the always the case.....

It sounds like maybe you're focusing too much on leveling up so you can 'catch up' to where you were before you lost your data. How about ignoring the levels and relishing the feeling of being that low level inkling that makes the higher levels go 'oh shit they're really good o_O' >:D

I was level 40 before I lost my stats.

My complaint wasn't about being paired with level 40s. (Although you are at a slight disadvantage due to weapon and gear availability, but that's not that big of a deal). As soon as I had two matches at level 2, I was already with the higher levels.

My complaint has been, and continues to be, the fact that teams aren't balanced based on weapons. One of the only positives to locking us into weapons the way they do, is that the matchmaking system knows exactly which gun each of us is using. There is no reason that it should put four chargers on one team, or four rollers on one team. A little bit ago that happened to me. There were four rollers vs four chargers. That's stupid. I'm not saying the system needs to search for different weapon equipped people, but once it creates a lobby, it should balance out weapon choices for those that it has selected.

If the game were just about splats, then it wouldn't matter. Since covering turf is such an integral part of the game, though, it really needs to try and make it as fair as possible. Now, if they'd just get rid of the stupid weapons lock, then I wouldn't complain as much.

TunaLover

My complaint has been, and continues to be, the fact that teams aren't balanced based on weapons. One of the only positives to locking us into weapons the way they do, is that the matchmaking system knows exactly which gun each of us is using. There is no reason that it should put four chargers on one team, or four rollers on one team. A little bit ago that happened to me. There were four rollers vs four chargers. That's stupid. I'm not saying the system needs to search for different weapon equipped people, but once it creates a lobby, it should balance out weapon choices for those that it has selected.
This!
Matchs would be more engaging that way, everyone focusing doing their job instead solving up team's weakness. As a zap user it's a pain not having at least 1 roller to do fast ink covering, I spent too much time inking turf with a weapon not designed for that!

I'm too accustomed to my swim speed up/walk speed up shoes. When I use the Samurai armour set I feel so sluggish.

I think the only matchmaking the game does is determining which open room you are put into. The matchmaking seed is pretty small in data and Jintor translated what the devs said about matchmaking ages ago (tl;dr, kills, deaths and ink turfed are the three criteria). Yeah I'm assuming the teams in the rooms are not balanced at all.

If there are few open rooms I guess it prioritizes putting you in any room which explains why sometimes "I'm not just winning here I'm slaughtering them".

Burnburn

I forgot this line from the EU Splatfest announcement:
FAYrzK1.png

I wanted to go team ghosts, but I think Callie swayed me over with that line.

<3 Splattershot <3

Kito

This happens too many times so I'm giving it a name: phantom rainmaker - when you dash halfway to the goal post, only to realise you're holding nothing (because a teammate took the rainmaker instead).

noshten

Had a question for the guys with squads.

Is Recon viable? It seems that having one person on spawn telling everyone where the enemy is might be a bit OP in Splatoon or does the numerical advantage nullify such a strategy.

JCX

They really need to shake up splatfests. I play each one less and less. Maybe open up to all maps or do a different mode. 24 hours of rainmaker would be heavenly.
24 hours of tower control would be hell

They really need to shake up splatfests. I play each one less and less. Maybe open up to all maps or do a different mode. 24 hours of rainmaker would be heavenly.
24 hours of tower control would be hell
I think the shake up splatfests really need is changing how many shells winners get. Invert it from what it is so far. No I don't mean 18 shells for winning but how it the win bonus is currently 4 shells for no playing 6 shells for making it to King/Queen. I think King/Queen should be more stable in terms of shells earned, losing 6 because you picked the wrong choice is a non-trivial loss and also picking the winning team when you didn't have time to contribute much would be encouraging too.

Of course this require some revision to amount of shells rewarded in each tier and would give everyone more shells overall but would remove the salt from making the wrong choice.

As for ranked modes. That could make a splatfest end very quickly (37 total knockouts in a minute) or take an eternity (92 losses in overtime) so I think it would be bad all round.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for getting past freaking C+/B- on ranked besides like "git gud?" My wife and I play in a twin squad a few times a week. We seem to have a combination of terrible teammates and always ending up with the best players on the other side. I assume it would be a lot easier playing with a reliable group of 4, but we don't have that, unfortunately. :/

jariw

But that would mean that teams can be virtually identical for every match if everyone remain for the next matches?

ChrisD

Any tips for getting past freaking C+/B- on ranked besides like "git gud?" My wife and I play in a twin squad a few times a week. We seem to have a combination of terrible teammates and always ending up with the best players on the other side. I assume it would be a lot easier playing with a reliable group of 4, but we don't have that, unfortunately. :/

C+/B-?

Luna Blaster Neo on Tower Control.

frnxxym1.gif

S+

I didn't see that coming. DUAL SQUELCHER MASTER RACE.

Now all I gotta do is never play ranked again ;)

Ah, skipped to the last few posts. Congrats!

Malus

Maybe try the .96 gal deco if you haven't. It's a real pain in the ass weapon to go up against with its Splash Wall/Kraken combo. Kills in 2 shots.

Other than that uhhh....just move around a lot and try to be unpredictable.

I use the Custom Jet Squelcher if I'm going for defensive play since I can stay in distance and pick people off.

If I want to play aggressive, I put on the Zappers and a bunch of run speed ups so I can strafe everywhere.

Maybe try the .96 gal deco if you haven't. It's a real pain in the ass weapon to go up against with its Splash Wall/Kraken combo. Kills in 2 shots.

The poor accuracy and slow af fire rate really kills it for me.

Robotguy

I prefer the .52 to the .96 deco now.

Shorter range and no kraken, but it kills faster, and it's easier to move around with it because of the faster fire rate. I like kraken more than wail in general, but wail is very strong on some maps/modes.

Robotguy

Had a question for the guys with squads.

Is Recon viable? It seems that having one person on spawn telling everyone where the enemy is might be a bit OP in Splatoon or does the numerical advantage nullify such a strategy.
As far as I know nobody uses recon in competitive, so it hasn't been demonstrated to be viable at least.

champloo

I believe learning to work together is the key at squad battles. Like having one person playing defensively while the other person flank from the side. Pick weapons that have sub/special that make a combo (i.e. dual Killer Wails can cover a lot of ground on some maps, unleash two Inkstrikes at the same time could instantly capture the zones)

ss-hikaru

This!
Matchs would be more engaging that way, everyone focusing doing their job instead solving up team's weakness. As a zap user it's a pain not having at least 1 roller to do fast ink covering, I spent too much time inking turf with a weapon not designed for that!

I see, sorry for misunderstanding! Is this really that common a problem? I guess I've been lucky enough that I can only really recall two times when there's been a hugely stupid weapon matchup and this isn't just from my own matches but from watching my bf and his sister play as well. When it happens so infrequently it becomes something to laugh about but if it happens all the time I can understand getting mad :(

But that would mean that teams can be virtually identical for every match if everyone remain for the next matches?

The weapon line up would pretty much stay the same but hopefully at least the members would get switched around? You'd hope XD And I guess if you got into a lobby with little weapon variation a lot of people would probably drop out anyway.

Was there a scheduled maintenance for Splatoon or something? I'm in Europe and I can't go online at all at the moment :'-(

Anybody able to connect right now?

Edit: Looking up the error code and following the instructions actually helped. My bad - will try that first next time ;-)

Wiseblade

I've been totally out of sync with the EU Splatfest schedule recently. Zombies vs Ghosts is the fourth consecutive fest to take place while I have plans for the weekend. Why can't they ever fall on my lazy Saturdays?

Kito

I've stabilised in high S rank with this weakling starter pack:

75px-Ability_Haunt.png
75px-Ability_Quick_Respawn.png
75px-Ability_Ink_Saver_%28Sub%29.png

My job is to chuck disruptors at everyone and hope the alpha inkling splats any haunted squids.

Malus

This has been said before but I wish you could play the other modes in unranked. Sometimes I won't touch ranked for a while after I've ranked up because I don't want to lose 5 in a row, de-rank, and be generally annoyed lol.

I started a new profile so I could make my own ranked For Fun mode. Maybe my eyes were playing a trick on me, but in one TC match in B level I went 31-7. o_0

On my way up I've been exiting the lobbies after each match, to make sure I wasn't destroying some poor soul's score.

First time playing ranked after the 2.2.0 update, dropped back to A+ the 3rd time. But whatever, I got my first triple without reroll on my Retro Sweat. :D

These are fantastic! Where did you order them? The shirt especially is low-key enough to be worn in public but not shout, "I'M FROM A VIDEO GAME!"
Yeah, that Squidforce shirt is pretty dope :) I'd maybe be interested in getting one too; it also seems different from the shirts available on KOG.

Kito

Playing Splatoon with the GamePad is starting to cause RSI in my left hand and I think it's down to super jumping, where I have to momentarily hold the GamePad with my left hand and apply force on it with my right hand.
Brb gonna sue Nintendo.
A non-touch super jumping mechanic, optionally available in the settings, would be a very welcome update.

Playing Splatoon with the GamePad is starting to cause RSI in my left hand and I think it's down to super jumping, where I have to momentarily hold the GamePad with my left hand and apply force on it with my right hand.
Brb gonna sue Nintendo.
A non-touch super jumping mechanic, optionally available in the settings, would be a very welcome update.

If you play sitting down, have you considered using your lap for extra support when you super jump?

Kito

If you play sitting down, have you considered using your lap for extra support when you super jump?

Who plays standing up? It's always resting on my lap. The motion controls are so second nature I forgot about them; the cause may actually be the tilting of the gamepad rather than the super jump situation. Another thing I forgot is that Splatoon is my first Wii U game with the GamePad over the Pro, so it may just be the GamePad itself.

StAidan

lol, in my very short stream late this afternoon, I reached three significant milestones simultaneously:

1) Faced DUDE in ink-to-ink combat
2) Splatted DUDE three times
3) Was insulted in twitch chat by Nihabz (a well-known Squidboards troll) for using Octobrush

Squid life is the good life.

Jims

Fell off the Splatoon wagon because of Super Mario Maker but have finally gotten my sorry ass together to play it again. It's amazing how much rust can pick up after a month or so. Many many many stupid deaths.

My question is, does anyone know if there's Splatoon hacking or cheating online? Or is it prevalent? I'm asking because I ran into a Krak-On roller tonight who was just rolling along at the bottom of Flounder Heights in a straight line. And I feel pretty positive that I hit him 4 times in a row with a Slosher. He was moving very predictably so I'm pretty positive I got all those hits. But he didn't go splat. I was assuming lag at first, but never saw him get splatted, even several seconds later. It was bizarre.

I'm enjoying revisiting the game but they really gotta get a third stage in the rotation. Played Flounder Heights, like, 10-12 times to Bluefin's 2. Gets kind of stale.

Top Bottom