• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Arkanius

Those level 40 players have hundreds of hours more experience playing than you do. Also when they first started playing the stages available were much simpler.

As for equipment. In terms of buff to ability on gear a main is worth 10 arbitrary points while a sub is worth around 3. That means they have around 56 arbitrary points compared to your 39. It isn't such a big gap considering that.

Keep inking and buying new gear. If you get splatted a lot quick respawn will help you greatly. Early on money is pretty tight with lots of new gear to buy so you have to decide between wanting to try out a different weapon or buying different gear to level up.

Also what kind of scores are you getting at the end of a match?

As a roller user using ink flicks for a short ranged is as useful as rolling at times (flicks require a lot more accuracy then they used to though). Rolling is best for ambushes and ink coverage.

If your aim is good you might want to try the Gal series of guns (although I don't think they unlock until higher level) and squelchers. These have good range and are pretty powerful (Gal is a 2 hit KO, 52 fires faster, has shorter range and defence turn it into a 3 hit KO). If you can lay down enough ink the bubbler of the splattershot junior is great for combat (though you have to know when to retreat as knockback is a thing).

One final tip is be cautious about using super jump. It so frustrating when you're about to be splatted and your freshly respwaned team mates think it is great to jump to you and you seem them get splatted on the kill cam.

I'm pretty shitty with the GAL, despite having good accuracy, I get ganked very easily with higher fire rate weapons.

Moondrop

Banned
I doubt the issue is your weapon and equipment choice. There's going to be a considerable learning curve, particularly in terms of map awareness and how weapons interact (who outranges who, can I charge down this sniper in time, etc.). And once you enter ranked, you're going to have to learn new strategies for each mode.

As to weapon choice, I would spend money on those and keep trying things until something clicks. Also, finding sub and special weapons that you like is just as important as the main weapon.

Keep at it; this game is worth it.

I'm pretty shitty with the GAL, despite having good accuracy, I get ganked very easily with higher fire rate weapons.

If you're getting ganked often, it means you're not familiar with the map enough. That's understandable since you're at low level. Which route will enemies take? Where's the choke point? Will I be sniped here? etc etc. Knowing what weapon/sub/special enemies are using is also important. There's 4 modes and 12 stages, so it'll take a long time to learn.

Regiruler

1353963828_Casper2.jpg

Zombies are ugly and smell bad. Ghosts are cool.

Or show me one Zombie who can beat this:

beetlejuice.jpg
latest

Anyone else give the Heavy Splatling Deco a chance last night?

I think I like it more than the regular Heavy Splatling. I don't feel as constrained to a position because I can use Point Sensors to detect enemies and Kraken to be a little more aggressive than usual (compared to Inkstrike). Also Point Sensor + Kraken is a pretty awesome way to get a kill.

As for perks, I tried stacking RSU at first but it didn't seem to help me that much. I wanted to spam Point Sensors a lot. It helps me check if enemies are hiding to get me and it also lets the rest of my team figure out how to flank an enemy, which I might need sometime since I don't have much close range and vertical deterrence.

I ended up putting on a lot of IR so that I could spam Point Sensors a lot, and I think that actually helps quite a bit. I didn't really need the RSU, as long as I kept my distance or had Kraken ready.

J@hranimo

Banned
I haven't used it outside of the private room we had to try it out last night, but it's alright. They both have different sets for play styles, although I feel the vanilla Heavy Splat will still be more popular because dat splash wall.

I think RSU can help with strafing and Ink recovery is always a plus with the splatlings. I personally used BRU for hail mary point sensor throws lol.

Yeah that seems really ideal for me. If I had a set which was heavy on BRU and had IRs it would go great with so many bomb centric builds that I want to do :)

I think I like it more than the regular Heavy Splatling. I don't feel as constrained to a position because I can use Point Sensors to detect enemies and Kraken to be a little more aggressive than usual (compared to Inkstrike). Also Point Sensor + Kraken is a pretty awesome way to get a kill.

As for perks, I tried stacking RSU at first but it didn't seem to help me that much. I wanted to spam Point Sensors a lot. It helps me check if enemies are hiding to get me and it also lets the rest of my team figure out how to flank an enemy, which I might need sometime since I don't have much close range and vertical deterrence.

I ended up putting on a lot of IR so that I could spam Point Sensors a lot, and I think that actually helps quite a bit. I didn't really need the RSU, as long as I kept my distance or had Kraken ready.

I would have preferred disruptors but maybe the devs thought that would be OP. It may have just been the map I tried it on (port) but I found it really hard to chase folks after I point sensored them because of how slow I was. Maybe a bunch of run speed ups would have changed my opinion though.

I would have preferred disruptors but maybe the devs thought that would be OP. It may have just been the map I tried it on (port) but I found it really hard to chase folks after I point sensored them because of how slow I was. Maybe a bunch of run speed ups would have changed my opinion though.
I don't think heavies were really meant to chase enemies down are they? At most I'll spin up and shoot around a corner of strafe, but I won't get much more aggressive than that. Pursuing an enemy while spinning up seems like a better idea with the mini.

I don't think heavies were really meant to chase enemies down are they? At most I'll spin up and shoot around a corner of strafe, but I won't get much more aggressive than that. Pursuing an enemy while spinning up seems like a better idea with the mini.

No, but on some of the more open maps you'd be able to blast folks if they got in range of the point sensor hit. On port if I hit someone they'd just duck down one of the million corridors and run until it ran out which got old pretty fast. I need to try it out on one of the more splatling friendly maps to really decide if I like it or not.

TM25

Neo Member
Laggy heavy splatlings are horrifying. I'm at the end of port shooting, now I am in front of you point blank, and now you are point sensored.

Sometimes I prefer the full on lag compared to the subtle lag, and other times it just annoys me.

phanphare

Banned

yeah I actually like it more than the regular heavy splatling. I thought that I'd prefer the splash wall and inkstrike but the point sensors are really great for this weapon. you can keep people in check as they get close to you. and yeah, the kraken is also great as a quick escape rope or used in conjunction with a point sensor to make sure you get the splat.

Tense Callietfest so far. Zombies seem to have a lot of good teams. Stats so far:
Ghost v Ghost: W8 L3
Zombie v Ghost: W14 L13

I'm at about 50 in champion. It is worth noting in Dogs vs Cats I had no Dog vs Dog matches.

Why can't winning popularity be a reward so I can at least say I won something (I'm sure Nintendo instead will give wins a x9000 multiplier before they even consider that)...I know technically I won North vs. South but I couldn't play

Doorman

The difference between the normal heavy and the heavy deco is interesting, I'm surprised at the different mindset between the two. So far I personally prefer the original, but it definitely feels more geared for being a support/defensive weapon, compared to the deco that has the tools to push forward more quickly.

Aside from straight-up game balance issues, disruptors are already going to be a part of the Zink Mini Splatling set, and it seems like Nintendo really tries to avoid repeating subs or specials within the same "family" of weapons. None of the Squelchers share secondaries, none of the chargers, none of the rollers, only splat bombs and inkzooka are duplicated between the 6 splattershot varieties, etc etc.

Paulie_C

Neo Member
Doesnt seem to be happening for ghosts. My daughter was playing earlier. Shes a level 7 getting paired with sub level 20ers against level 50 teams. People were dropping out with one game ending 89.5% v 2%.

I took over for one game, had a great game 12kills 1 death but everyone else in my team got slaughtered with 1 kill between the other 3.

To top off a miserable night for her, she asked to play Wind Waker before bed and discovered her baby brother had wiped her file. Took her months to get where she was, I was gutted for her. (Its her birthday too - maybe next year!)

ss-hikaru

I much prefer the heavy splatling deco! Sometimes it can be hard firing off an inkstrike, always feels like a waste when I'm in a tight spot with my special fully charged only to get splatted and have to charge up again. At least I can use the kraken now to clinch the kill or in the worst case run away XD

I tend to use point sensor more for support than for myself. One thing I found frustrating with the vanilla heavy splatling was the inability to push into large openish areas of the opponents ink. I often had to rely on teammates to ink the ground around me, I just didn't have the maneuverability to effectively push forward. Too easily jumped XD Now at least with the point sensor I can tell where I can/should move towards and hopefully helps my teammates get some kills or avoid some deaths. I guess I just feel more confident and don't hang back as much :)

Heavy takes some windup time, but getting to the first level of charge on the Mini only really takes about as long as it takes to charge a bamboozler shot, with the level 2 charge near-immediately after. The duration of spray doesn't last as long as the fully-charged Heavy shots but since the Mini is built less for range and more for maneuverability, you don't spend a lot of time just trying to rain destruction from one spot anyway. The difference in feel between the two styles was larger than I anticipated.

Yeah i was pleasantly surprised at the ink spread you get from the mini. I think I need to be more strategic and use the bombs to force opponents into my line of fire XD And just practice with the different levels of charge and charge times. Thanks for your responses, I'm feeling more positive about this weapon now!

Kito

Just hit Ghost Champion without facing a single Zombie. For some reason I thought we would be less popular; next time I'm checking the polls before picking a team.

Made it to Ghost King. Final stats:
Ghost v Ghost: W9 L3
Ghost v Zombie: W22 L14

Zombie teams this morning were weaker. I guess that fits the cliche of zombies pretty well.

I'm quitting here as going tryhard and getting something like W58 L26 will just make me salty when Ghosts lose anyway.

I hope they completely Mario Kart splatfest results one day and apply random multiplier of x1-3 to popularity and wins that way I'll feel it is less about "I picked the wrong side and am yet another 180k gold down for it" and also discourage tryhards.

So we just broke rainmaker:
Seeing superjumps when the person is echolocated or rainmaker like this is initially "what are you doing up there?"

Doorman

I'm pretty sure the sage (green) polo is a Splash Mob Cold-Blooded shirt.

It is, and IMO looks better than the cycling shirt anyway. But still, any off-brand triple is pretty amazing to have anyway. I've only come close once or twice, couldn't nail the last slot. Bleh.

Those popularity results can't be right? Reports of Ghost vs Ghost were everywhere on twitter and reddit.
If a zombie votes but doesn't get to play then they count for popularity.

Maybe something like that is happening but I'd expect inactive players for any given side to be fairly even barring regional differences in votes (we need the everybody votes channel back) but maybe something to do with the voters themselves came into play.

Top Bottom