• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

WVW69ijfIowgBidGmw

Are you for real? I finally did it. I finally got 24 shells from a Splatfest.

Ghosts won
49% V 51% vote
46% V 54% wins
325-375

Edit beaten

Wait wait wait. Ghosts were more popular than zombies?
Wait! One side won both pop and wins?!

What kinds of Bizarro Inkopolis is this?!

Junahu

If a zombie votes but doesn't get to play then they count for popularity.

Maybe something like that is happening but I'd expect inactive players for any given side to be fairly even barring regional differences in votes (we need the everybody votes channel back) but maybe something to do with the voters themselves came into play.
It's fun to speculate about demographics. Ghost lovers probably have more patience for the splatfest grind.

Decided to hop on and level some gear (now that I have shells) and I had a completely random run-in with a few of Splatgaf in turf wars (yes, I'm one of those awkward people who plays with a different name to my GAF username). Azure J was in the room and I was against him most the time so I've just gone onto twitch and caught the VOD to watch from the other side (I noticed there are some gaps but I think that is a twitch thing, typically one moment that I was curious about was in one of those). It is weird seeing yourself in third person...well more third person than normal.

Decided to hop on and level some gear (now that I have shells) and I had a completely random run-in with a few of Splatgaf in turf wars (yes, I'm one of those awkward people who plays with a different name to my GAF username). Azure J was in the room and I was against him most the time so I've just gone onto twitch and caught the VOD to watch from the other side (I noticed there are some gaps but I think that is a twitch thing, typically one moment that I was curious about was in one of those). It is weird seeing yourself in third person...well more third person than normal.

I always check the replay when I play with a streamer. It's useful to see what kind of mistakes you make. And it's just fun, of course. :p

Geg

Oh just today? I was probably in the room too, who were you?

I finally had time to level up a bit. Made it up to 10, so I got to play some Tower Control. I've never been a fan of the mode, and I thought with C- levels it would be horrible.

Ended up winning 9 in a row before I called it a night. Last match I rushed the tower, just sat myself there and rode it to the win. No one touched me.

Nightbird

Hm, so this is the second time in a row where i've been wrong, despite being right every other time before. My streak is definetly over.

noshten

Finally made it to the coveted S+, I've been struggling for months now - but one good rotation and I was able to abuse the Gal/Wall/Kraken and it pushed me over the edge:

WVW69ijhFN8s7yLnCL

Oh just today? I was probably in the room too, who were you?
Ben Leo. Levelling up power armour set and using Nozzlenose (which is now my 5th most used weapon with 59627). We traded KOs quite often it felt like.

He was that Yoshi with the bucket. (Kappa) =P

I don't actually know his Mii name.
I did get splatted on Moray towers by someone using a bucket. It was like a scene of a sitcom where someone throws a bucket of dirty water out of the window.

Speaking of which I still don't totally get strategy on that stage especially when snipers are around and your team lacks a counter (from watching Azure I could see my "hope you can make it to the bottom before the enemy sniper is set up and head left into their blind spot then proceed to advance to their position" strategy relies on the sniper missing two shots and/or your team being around to distract so I suppose one should do the safer thing of build special if offensive special and counter snipe that way).

Finally made it to the coveted S+, I've been struggling for months now - but one good rotation and I was able to abuse the Gal/Wall/Kraken and it pushed me over the edge:

WVW69ijhFN8s7yLnCL

Congrats, I'm still struggling to survive in S rank.

Also I remember when .96 deco was announced, people here said the sub/special combo is bad. :p

WALKMAN04

WVW69ijhFN8s7yLnCL
Congrats, but u sold out after saying how much u hated walls going up against me in solo that day :p Welcome to the S+ club

DaBoss

WVW69ijhFN8s7yLnCL
Congrats!
Also I remember when .96 deco was announced, people here said the sub/special combo is bad. :p
I went to check if this was true, cause I remember I was thinking this weapon was going to be insanely good lol.

And you're right lol: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=171161032#post171161032

noshten

Thanks everyone it has been a real struggle considering I have over 700 hours in this game, just incapable of ranking up to S+ with Roller/Charger.

Congrats, but u sold out after saying how much u hated walls going up against me in solo that day :p Welcome to the S+ club

I rarely play it, it was just I was struggling with the Scope Charger in Rainmaker Moray/Underpass. As you can see from the Points for Gal at 29353, I've only got max for E-liter and Krak-on, with the ScopeCharger going up since the E-Liter nerfs to 342863p

Anyhow I doubt I will stick too long in S+ Rank it's too damn hard to carry with a charger in most modes/maps and Krak-on has bored me at this stage.

J@hranimo

Banned
Reading back to what DaBoss posted from OT3 is really a blast from the (not too distant) past haha. General concensus to sploosh-o-matic was lukewarm and 96 gal deco was meh until we played it, and then we all understood where the meta would go...

Geg

Ben Leo. Levelling up power armour set and using Nozzlenose (which is now my 5th most used weapon with 59627). We traded KOs quite often it felt like.
Oh yeah I remember. Yeah there were a lot of trades between us I think

Congrats!

I went to check if this was true, cause I remember I was thinking this weapon was going to be insanely good lol.

And you're right lol: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=171161032#post171161032

Lol, the meta game has certainly changed a lot since then.
Haha wow. I really don't see how anyone would have felt splash wall and kraken were bad but I guess that's just due to how little splash walls were used back then.

And lol at a lot of that page being a discussion on whether splash walls are viable or useful. If only we knew.

Oh yeah I remember. Yeah there were a lot of trades between us I think

Haha wow. I really don't see how anyone would have felt splash wall and kraken were bad but I guess that's just due to how little splash walls were used back then.

And lol at a lot of that page being a discussion on whether splash walls are viable or useful. If only we knew.
I think back in the day there were only 2 loadouts that had Splash Walls: .52 Gal and Jet Squelcher. JS is still a sort of iffy weapon to this day, and .52 Gal was saddled with the "bad special" known as Killer Wail. Everyone acknowledged that the .52 Gal itself was good, but the .52 Deco with Inkstrike seemed more popular at the time.

Nowadays though Killer Wail is the good special, Inkstrike is the bad special, and Seekers are the super ultra not very good sub weapons.

What are the popular loadouts with Splash Wall these days? .52 Gal and .96 Deco? Bamboozler and Heavy Splatling see light of day every once in awhile. I haven't seen the Range Blaster in awhile, and Jet Squelcher doesn't seem that interesting.

Edit: I think it's pretty funny that the devs didn't have to do anything about Inkstrike to make it fall out of favor naturally, considering how hyped ppl were for Aerospray RG back in the day for coverage (including me).

I think back in the day there were only 2 loadouts that had Splash Walls: .52 Gal and Jet Squelcher. JS is still a sort of iffy weapon to this day, and .52 Gal was saddled with the "bad special" known as Killer Wail. Everyone acknowledged that the .52 Gal itself was good, but the .52 Deco with Inkstrike seemed more popular at the time.

Nowadays though Killer Wail is the good special, Inkstrike is the bad special, and Seekers are the super ultra not very good sub weapons.

What are the popular loadouts with Splash Wall these days? .52 Gal and .96 Deco? Bamboozler and Heavy Splatling see light of day every once in awhile. I haven't seen the Range Blaster in awhile, and Jet Squelcher doesn't seem that interesting.

Edit: I think it's pretty funny that the devs didn't have to do anything about Inkstrike to make it fall out of favor naturally, considering how hyped ppl were for Aerospray RG back in the day for coverage (including me).

As a .52 Gal only user since launch(no deco), I can say .96 deco and TC mode really is the turning point of splash wall. People started to see how OP it is and numbers of splash wall went skyrocket after these two update, I still remember. And finally today Nintendo need to nerf wall lol.

WALKMAN04

Regarding the .96 talk, most of us played turf war more than ranked back then and it still isn't the greatest turf weapon so I can see how azure and others felt that way. Also coconut has it right, .52 deco was considered better because turf war and splat zones was the main ranked mode where inkstrike was popular plus wail "sucked" so makes sense no one used the one with wall making splash walls rare to see. Imo .52 is currently the best weapon so irk why the mets is .96 anyway.

Please add me to your friend lists. NNID is neospike.
Join the discord server, details in the second post of the thread, you'll find it is way more active than this thread. We all pretty much migrated there, I'm sure ppl would add u there and it's easy to form squads or jump into turfs there, we get new faces every now and then so you shouldn't have any problems finding peopl to play with. Feel free to add me my nnid is my name caps and all, I can't promise that I will play with you much since most of my Splatoon time is in tourney but I will make room on my friends list for anyone, just gotta delete one of these scrubs first
Sm239 getting deleted first that scrub

Robotguy

Regarding the .96 talk, most of us played turf war more than ranked back then and it still isn't the greatest turf weapon so I can see how azure and others felt that way. Also coconut has it right, .52 deco was considered better because turf war and splat zones was the main ranked mode where inkstrike was popular plus wail "sucked" so makes sense no one used the one with wall making splash walls rare to see. Imo .52 is currently the best weapon so irk why the mets is .96 anyway.

Join the discord server, details in the second post of the thread, you'll find it is way more active than this thread. We all pretty much migrated there, I'm sure ppl would add u there and it's easy to form squads or jump into turfs there, we get new faces every now and then so you shouldn't have any problems finding peopl to play with. Feel free to add me my nnid is my name caps and all, I can't promise that I will play with you much since most of my Splatoon time is in tourney but I will make room on my friends list for anyone, just gotta delete one of these scrubs first
Sm239 getting deleted first that scrub
Yeah, I like .52 more now, except for on TC. Most of the time I'm only playing .96 Deco in tourney cause James is playing .52.

I looked up the dates. The .96 Gal deco came out a week after tower control mode and I don't know how often tower control showed up after the first day.

I also don't know when splash walls tower tech was discovered. I feel that was the turn around in peoples perception of splash walls.

All of this talk about the Gal weapons, and I still can't get the hang of the dang thing. The RNG accuracy on it coupled with the slow fire rate just, no, I don't like it.

I mean, how are you suppose to use a weapon with this kind of continuous fire accuracy?

I'll just stick to Custom Jet Squelcher for my long ranged fights until the Custom Hydra Splatling comes.

Dat Sprinkler and Bubbler combo =P

ChrisD

WVW69ijhFN8s7yLnCL

Congrats!

I should have played more often before the Deco came out, just so I could "remember the good ol' days" of no Splash Walls. I probably would have said the same things back then as most others with it being "meh."

Wiseblade

I am loving this loadout right now! It feels closer to the Tentatek than a Heavy Splatling in terms of mobility, but still gives me a good attacking range. It's feels like the best of both!

The Mini Splatling definitely struggles with CQC, but the run/swim speed ups give me enough maneuverability to get out of a bad situation. Ink consumption is definitely an issue though.

I am loving this loadout right now! It feels closer to the Tentatek than a Heavy Splatling in terms of mobility, but still gives me a good attacking range. It's feels like the best of both!

The Mini Splatling definitely struggles with CQC, but the run/swim speed ups give me enough maneuverability to get out of a bad situation. Ink consumption is definitely an issue though.
I'm surprised you're running so much special duration up. Has it helped you with the zooka or is it just how the slots unlocked?

Robotguy

In case anyone wants a shot at getting some rare gear, here's all the stuff I have with non-bias subs in the first two slots:

Two Stripe mesh special saver first two slots (special saver)
Tentacles Helmet special saver first two slots (run speed up)
Camo Mesh swim speed in first two slots (swim speed)

Basic tee with special charge up first two slots (quick respawn)
Green zip hoodie quick super jump first two slots (speical duration)
Red slip-ons special savers first two slots (Quick super jump)
White head band swim speed first two slots (swim speed)

Main ability is in parentheses. Let me know if you want to order any of this off of me.

Wiseblade

I'm surprised you're running so much special duration up. Has it helped you with the zooka or is it just how the slots unlocked?
Now that I think about it... not really. I haven't really needed the extra time since I tend to pop the Inkzooka with a particular target in mind. I think I'll see what I can do to swap the out for ink saver subs.

J@hranimo

Banned

Ah another Mini Splat player! Inkzooka isn't my favorite special or anything but does 6 special duration up subs make a noticeable difference?

#splatoonForEvo, let's make it happen

Oh god yes this would be the best!

Wiseblade

Ah another Mini Splat player! Inkzooka isn't my favorite special or anything but does 6 special duration up subs make a noticeable difference?
Okay, so you motivated me to actually test it. Unboosted, the Inkzooka lasts long enough to fire 6 shots. 3 special duration up subs will net an additional shot, totalling 7. After 6 duration up subs... you still have 7 shots.

The run/swim speed ups were the focus when I chose the gear, but I did expect a bigger payoff from the special duration ups.

Burnburn

This thing should be able to build Kraken pretty fast. Original Splish might be a bit better IMO because of Beakon and Wail shenanigans. We'll see.

The only thing I can think of is SSU spam and Ink Res, BRU if you want to be a spotter, SCU/Spec Saver for a more Kraken-centric build, and that's it.

Top Bottom