• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

I find the lack of Kelp Dome as people's favorite map, disturbing.

Also, why is Captain Todd's favorite mode not called Da Fish (Rainmaker)?

nom

Good luck everyone! Excited for it :D

What time are you aiming to start at?

Currently the schedule is looking like this, however having never done this before things may over run or change

Match Order (PT):

17:00 - Capitan Todd and the Kraken Trackers vs WALKMAN and the walkkids (1)
17:15 - #E X P O S E D vs Paint the Base (2)
17:30 - Loser of Round 1 vs Loser of Round 2 (3)
17:40 - Winner of Round 1 vs Winner of Round 2 (4)
17:55 - Loser of Round 4 vs Winner of Round 3 (5)
18:00 - Winner of Round 4 vs Winner of Round 5 (6)

and to anyone still interested in playing we have some more spaces in tomorrows tournament which should be bigger and better, more info in orignal post here

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/134479996474/the-time-for-splatfest-draws-near-the-squidizens

Splatoon Research Lab said:
The time for Splatfest draws near. The squidizens of North America have been forced to pledge their allegiance, in some cases going against friends and family. Which team will emerge victorious - pizza or burgers? It’s a cruel game we’re playing. You could almost say it is…

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

A hunger game.

Nice, NoA

Azure J

So Splatoon won both Shooter of the Year & Multiplayer Game of the Year during the VGAs. All is right in the world.

I keep remembering how many times I'd (sarcastically) say "Splatoon is the GOTY that will win no GOTY awards" while streaming.

I am pleasantly surprised by this game's ability to challenge expectations once again. :D

So here is the set up for our first GAF only Splatoon Tournament (recently voted best multiplayer and shooter of 2015)... GAFHouse - thank you Nintendo Treehouse ;)

Keep up to date with the bracket here. Most of the games should be streamed too! Check out the Multistream!

The teams:

Stream: SM239

Stream: Azure J

Stream: James

Stream: ynnaD

More details for the teams/players will be posted in the Discord server so please keep an eye out that. If you're not playing feel free to join the Discord server and watch the chaos unfold. *Teams are subject to change if we have late arrivals etc.

Todd's team looking like the Nintendome/Omohide of this thing. Moskito and cucolix, please don't sub out and let Sendou in. :lol

Walkkids bout to stomp anyway tho.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
5hD9rQP.gif

From here, originally converted from a Niconico video: http://issplatoonoutyet.tumblr.com/post/131271964480/portlybibliophile-obsolete-standard

How narrow the parts of mahi-mahi resort are takes some getting used to. It you're a CQC player who likes to retreat and re-position you're in for a poor time as usually there will be nowhere to retreat to.

Yes for the possible salt (lol), but at the same time I don't think so. No other award got their own thread right?
Well it happened and yep salt did too.
Nobody cared when it was the BAFTA kids...my unappealing thread making ability shines through

Not sure if this is something that happens, but my girlfriend is rank A+ 99, and when she won her last two matches, it gave her +0. We were playing together, and I got 10 and 12 at rank A-. Any idea what's going on?

Edit: Sorry, nevermind. I should have looked it up before posting, I've just never seen anyone mention it in this thread before. According to Reddit, you can't enter or exit rank S when you're in a squad.

Off topic, I really like how Mahi Mahi makes for varied and dynamic matches. Like in Rainmaker, if your team doesn't get the RM before the water drops, then you only get to push in that state. It makes matches more interesting.

Robotguy

Not sure if this is something that happens, but my girlfriend is rank A+ 99, and when she won her last two matches, it gave her +0. We were playing together, and I got 10 and 12 at rank A-. Any idea what's going on?
You can't level beyond A+99 in squad battles. You have to play solo ranked to get to S/S+.

ffdgh

Thanks. It's kind of silly, cause I doubt someone could actually get carried by their partner to A+99. Anyone know a better reason for why it happens?

Esentially they want S and S+ to be every man for themselves sort of thing. On the flip side, you can squad with S/S+ without having to worry about deranking outside of disconnects.

StAidan

Thanks. It's kind of silly, cause I doubt someone could actually get carried by their partner to A+99. Anyone know a better reason for why it happens?

Actually, at that level of play it's not that difficult for a good player to carry their entire team. So I'm pretty sure carrying is the reason for the restriction.

Robotguy

Actually, at that level of play it's not that difficult for a good player to carry their entire team. So I'm pretty sure carrying is the reason for the restriction.
There was an NSTC trisquad going to other night that was (alledgedly) winning ~80% of it's matches in S+. At that rate they could carry an AFK to S+ 99.
(Granted this was a team of 3 of the best players on one of the top western splatoon teams.)

Hmm... carrying an AFK account to S+99 could be a good gimmick stream.

*Trisquads automatically get a respawn speed buff. A team of three great players carrying a terrible one wouldn't get that. I don't know how much of an impact that would have on the outcome.

Roll call folks! GAFhouse tourney is going to be happening at 8PM Eastern / 5PM Pacific! As of this post that's about 12 minutes from now. Please report to the discord lobby for SplatGAF for further details!

ss-hikaru

Sign ups for today's GAF House tournament are now closed! (though you can still sign up if you want to be a reserve)

Thank you to everyone that signed up, I'll be posting teams later ;)

Saturdays tournament is still open!

Just sign up it will be fun ;) we have a big mix of players and I'm trying to keep teams balanced. Tonights tournament should hopefully all be available to watch on Twitch.

Thanks! I considered it but it's 4am my time (or so google tells me, I'm not good with time conversions) so I would be a triple detriment to my squad.... (lack of experience-half asleep-lag cos from Straya)

I'm trying to watch Friday's tourney on twitch but it keeps stopping to buffer :(

ss-hikaru

I have had nothing but problems with Twitch. I can watch streams or video from elsewhere with little to no problem, but Twitch just lags and buffers constantly, like it's perpetually choking to death.

Thanks, it gets really hard for me to figure out if it's my internet (I sometimes have trouble streaming Crunchyroll) or the platform. I've only really watched Splatoon on niconico (Koshien!) so haven't got much experience with Twitch. Well maybe if the tourney ends up being really short someone could upload it to youtube or something not-twitch? So far it sputters a bit and then just gives up LOL.

nom

Day 1 of GAFHouse is over. Final Bracket can be found here. Some last minute changes to the teams due to internet issues and no shows left us with the following teams:

Capitan Todd & the Kraken Trackers: Toadsili T, Sendou, Moskito, Coaster

WALKMAN and his walkkids: WALKMAN04, Azure J, Jahranimo, Doorman

#E X P O S E D: James, Ryechu, BlueSilver, Kildud3

Paint the Base: backlot, Goya, ynnaD, cucholix (subbed out for SmashKirby after Match 1)

Thanks to everyone that signed up, played, subbed in and watched! Hope you had fun!

Tomorrow will be slightly different, there will be 6 teams not 4, there will also be new captains and new teams. Most of the spots have been filled but we're still accepting sign ups for reserves (we needed a lot of reserves today lol) - Sign Up Info

EDIT: Also I'd like to dedicate this win to Callie, thank you.

Thanks for getting this tourney organized James :) I left in the middle so that I could get home, in case we needed any further people to sub in, but I'm glad to see everything worked out. The matches I did see were all tense, and it looked like everyone had fun :)

Will there be any links to vods/videos of the matches that were played?

nom

Thanks for getting this tourney organized James :) I left in the middle so that I could get home, in case we needed any further people to sub in, but I'm glad to see everything worked out. The matches I did see were all tense, and it looked like everyone had fun :)

Will there be any links to vods/videos of the matches that were played?

I might try and edit them down but for now here are links to full streams

Sendou's VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/sendouc/v/28302557 (Capitan Todd & the Kraken Chasers)
My VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/jamesrcade/v/28295965 (E X P O S E D)
Azure's VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/azurejerichogaf/v/28294486 (WALKMAN and his walkkids)
Goya's VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/goya___/v/28294029 (Paint the Base)

WALKMAN04

This tournament was an outrage, there were so many things wrong with it. First of all James claims this tourney is for fun then every team goes out and uses there best weapons, like is winning that important you have to play what your good at to do it. Second of all, every team was rigged to have stacked players except for mine, each team had at least 2 NSTC members except mine, like I get I'm the best player there is but even I can't carry azure, jahra, and doorman. They just aren't good and aren't worthy of the "walkkid" title. Honestly I think James was just jealous of me and left me with the worst team imaginable. James team had 3 competitive splatoon players and 1 of neogafs best who isn't on a team, like that's real fair. One of those players was not even a member of neogaf, James had to bring in outside players just to win a for fun tourney, shows how trustworthy James is as a TO. Also James you just simply don't know how to run a tourney, first of all who puts 1 mode per round and best of 1 turf wars in a tourney. I was killed in one of the games and didn't get off my last minute inkstrike, when I complained about it you didn't even say anything just moved on to the next round, another second and I should would have won, James should hav saw this and taken it into account for who moved on to the next round. Another thing was that we were given a set schedule and u didn't even enforce it at all, teams just played when they were ready, how am I supposed to have fun when I'm waiting around for the next round. In fact I don't think you enforced anything at all, we were given voice channels for each team and we had members of other teams joining our channel and trash talking us, James just let this happen. There were no set disconnect rules and a player on another team disconnected multiple times, now this guy didn't play my team or affect my team in anyway but I just think that James should have known this is for fun and no one has fun with disconnecting players. Also rainmaker grand finals was just ridiculous and I refused to watch that shit mode. I don't think you should ever run a tourney again James, and if you do I would advise everyone to stay far away from it, as James would do just about anything to ensure he wins, I know I will not be participating in it. Now I know why your team was called #EXPOSED because all this tourney did was expose you for the cheat you are.
Kappa

Azure J

This tournament was an outrage, there were so many things wrong with it. First of all James claims this tourney is for fun then every team goes out and uses there best weapons, like is winning that important you have to play what your good at to do it. Second of all, every team was rigged to have stacked players except for mine, each team had at least 2 NSTC members except mine, like I get I'm the best player there is but even I can't carry azure, jahra, and doorman. They just aren't good and aren't worthy of the "walkkid" title. Honestly I think James was just jealous of me and left me with the worst team imaginable. James team had 3 competitive splatoon players and 1 of neogafs best who isn't on a team, like that's real fair. One of those players was not even a member of neogaf, James had to bring in outside players just to win a for fun tourney, shows how trustworthy James is as a TO. Also James you just simply don't know how to run a tourney, first of all who puts 1 mode per round and best of 1 turf wars in a tourney. I was killed in one of the games and didn't get off my last minute inkstrike, when I complained about it you didn't even say anything just moved on to the next round, another second and I should would have won, James should hav saw this and taken it into account for who moved on to the next round. Another thing was that we were given a set schedule and u didn't even enforce it at all, teams just played when they were ready, how am I supposed to have fun when I'm waiting around for the next round. In fact I don't think you enforced anything at all, we were given voice channels for each team and we had members of other teams joining our channel and trash talking us, James just let this happen. There were no set disconnect rules and a player on another team disconnected multiple times, now this guy didn't play my team or affect my team in anyway but I just think that James should have known this is for fun and no one has fun with disconnecting players. Also rainmaker grand finals was just ridiculous and I refused to watch that shit mode. I don't think you should ever run a tourney again James, and if you do I would advise everyone to stay far away from it, as James would do just about anything to ensure he wins, I know I will not be participating in it. Now I know why your team was called #EXPOSED because all this tourney did was expose you for the cheat you are.
Kappa

Thanks for organizing this tournament James (nom)!

But for the record, I totally agree with Walkman.
Kappa

#BlameHeath

Jintor

i played a little splatoon again and it's still a good game ya'll. I had to thumb through like 10 weapon updates though when I visited Sheldon

J@hranimo

Banned
i played a little splatoon again and it's still a good game ya'll. I had to thumb through like 10 weapon updates though when I visited Sheldon

I saw you in turf actually, you should try and play with some of us :)

Edit: Splatfest Maps are:

Museum d'Alfonsino
Arowana Mall (Finally)
Saltspray Rig

Kito

Congrats on the win #E X P O S E D. Your Dynamo in Saltspray was impressive.

If anyone's looking for advice on the tournament, I would say make sure your team has at least two long range weapons. The form's 'main weapon' field doesn't affect anything. Secondly, change your weapon every match, or alternate with vanilla/branded. The same weapon will be less effective in second rounds against the same team.

Just ate some pizza and about to support Team Pizza (Pizza)!

little_caesars.gif

No. I don't even like Little Ceasers. Worst pizza ever but the mascot fits, so...

Hmm... Maybe a better mascot would be...

tumblr_lzo0hxcBhC1r5mztao1_500.gif

Yeah. That's better.

This is a lock. I mean look at the 90s cartoon comparison:

1002957-teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_4.gif

Legendary. Timeless. Marketable.

VS *pfft!*

2262930-moomesa.jpg

The characters from....uh...Crap, what was this called?? Barnyard animals....right! Barnyard Commandos!

Pizza's got this!

Edit: Holy shit! The Arowana Mall Curse has been lifted! But why isn't Resort on this!? Could you imagine how sick that place would look in neon night lights?

Top Bottom